Clara Grisette - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Clara GrisetteClara Grisette

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.20% ABV

Clara (1906-1969) was our grandfather’s sister; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this Grisette is crafted from American malted barley, Vermont Organic Wheat, European and American hops, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Clara.

Pale Malt, Organic Vermont Wheat, American and European Hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water

(Beer added by: starrdogg on 08-09-2011)

AOShabaz, Aug 11, 2013

Rifugium, Aug 10, 2013

millerbuffoon, Aug 10, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy yellow with slight golden body and a milky white head.

S - Honey up front with light tartness

T - Tart with lactic acid, lemon, lemon zest, slight grassy body to it. Light lemon and honey on the back end.

MF - Medium body with a good tingle and tart presence to it. Leaves a light dry finish on it.

O - Really good Saison with a good tart and sour presence to it.

jeonseh, Aug 10, 2013

Ilovebrew, Aug 09, 2013

NickBeery, Aug 08, 2013

thestupidpunk, Aug 07, 2013

uncccegr, Aug 06, 2013

Orange, Aug 05, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

A chilled 750ml bottled dated 6/2013 is poured into a white wine glass.

The beer is a clear, golden liquid with a few fingers of pure white foam. Uniform lacing is left behind. A few streams of rising carbonation can be seen rising within.

There is a complex mixture of aromas: wheat, spelt and farmhouse yeast. There is also a dry sweetness.

Maybe it's just the glass I'm using, but something about Clara reminds me of a dry white wine. The flavors are earthy and grainy—no fruitiness at all—so that's not it. Maybe it's the light bitterness that tastes like white grape tannins. I'm not sure. It is a tasty beer though. I especially enjoy the grain profile; I feel like you can really taste the wheat and barley.

The beer is a touch heavier than I expected and the carbonation seems low. There is a slight sharpness to the aftertaste.

This is an enjoyable beer. It's not my favorite example of the style, but I'm also not upset that I have an extra bottle of it. If I made the long journey to Hill Farmstead and this was all I came home with, I may be a bit disappointed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with the outstanding quality of the other HF beers I've had, I was expecting more from Clara.

ToasterChef, Aug 03, 2013

pendabev, Jul 30, 2013

mrebeka, Jul 29, 2013

BARFLYB, Jul 29, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a stemmed HF glass. This was bottled in June 2013 which is anywhere from 1 to 2 months ago, depending on the day.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber, gold and leaves two fingers of white, fluffy head which lingers for a little while before slowly fading to a white layer, leaving some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lemon, citrus rinds, peppercorn, light grassy funk. Nice light & refreshing aroma.

Taste: Lemon, mild grassy funk (not overwhelming but more than in the aroma), some mild sour, especially lemon. Pepper, bread, dry finish.

Mouth-feel: High carbonation with a medium, spritzy, yet slightly creamy body. Dry finish, yet fairly smooth.

Overall: Quality refreshing, grassy saison. More notes of lemon than many other saisons I have had, but the flavors are nice, balanced and light. Funk is pretty light. Pretty high carbonation as well which is interesting, and I think makes it more refreshing.

Resuin, Jul 29, 2013