Clara Grisette - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: starrdogg on 08-09-2011

Clara (1906-1969) was our grandfather’s sister; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this Grisette is crafted from American malted barley, Vermont Organic Wheat, European and American hops, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Clara.

Pale Malt, Organic Vermont Wheat, American and European Hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 559 | Reviews: 98
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured from the 750ml into a Hill Farmstead tulip. The brew pours with a light golden body that has substantial yeast haze to it. Massive white head starts forming immediately with a texture between creamy and foamy. Retention is very nice and the huge head falls to a thick ring. Thick patches of lace all down the glass.

S- Right of the bat a prominent lemon tartness I didn't expect above a nice funky farmhouse Saison yeast. Herbal and spicy with notes of lemongrass, wheat crust, citrus zest, yeast bread and grapes, like white wine.

T- Somewhere between dry white wine, Saison and Berliner for me. A certain white grape fruit aspect blended in nicely with the spicy and zesty Saison yeast. Tartness is pretty high for the style which is why I mentioned Berliner Weiss. Flavors of lemon peel, wheat bread, lactic acid, grapes, herbs and barnyard grassiness. Fairly funky.

MF- Light bodied and dry with a tartness throughout. Spritzy moderate-high carbonation in a beer that feels foamy overall.

Super flavorful with Saison, wine and Berliner attributes all coming together in a good farmhouse ale. Tartness is pretty high for the style but complimentary to the funky and wine grape flavors I get.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

vibrant gold with faint haze; heavy carbonation with egg white head; sharp lemon peel and fresh grass with almost a bubblegum; crisp and clean mouthfeel; clean malt profile that is both simple and complex at the same time; lively carbonation works with mix of sharp lemons, crisp malt and light grassy finish; could drink this all day; yum

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to TheLostGringo for sending this one my way - always excited to get Hill Farmstead stuff. Clara pours out like liquid gold - bright and beaming and completely solidified in terms of color; we are at 100% opacity. A slushy, white head builds up nicely, then breaks down and recedes almost as quick, leaving only a few spots of wet webbing on the side of the glass.

Hmmm... smells like a farm. A beautiful farm. Grassy notes, heavy must, lemon-lime zest, a mild citrus spritz and a moderate amount of lightly cheesy, barnyard funk. Yeasty, clumpy, with just a touch of spices and a faint tartness that brings everything together. Very masterful and refined on the nose - it just smells so refreshing, dry, and "well made".

There's a nice, slightly biting tartness that nips the tip of the tongue with each sip accompandied by a light basket of lemon zest and citrus flesh. The hops quickly come marching in; grassy, leafy, and one shade shy of floral. I haven't even swallowed the first sip yet, but I can already tell that this beer is a major rejuvenation and could easily be substituted as a thirst quencher.

A good bit of funk settles in mid-palate and lasts through the finish. Musty wood, light cheesecloth, and dust spread across an old, damp barnyard floor. The finish contains a good amount of that funk along with a lemon and apple skin, fruity reprieve. Tight, tight carbonation. Tight like a motherfuckin' tiger, snapping your tongue and whipping it into shape. Bold bodied for only 4% ABV, yet still relatively thin on the grand scale.

Wow, what a delicious beer. It would be so much dreamier in 12 oz bottles sold as six packs. This would be a definitely summer rotater. But alas! We must trade away our goods for a single 750 mL sized bottle. I'm not complaining too much, though, as I was generously hooked up and this beer would be worth it anyway. I was lovin' it hard. Refreshing, crisp, tasty, with insane, off the charts drinkability levels.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy yellow with slight golden body and a milky white head.

S - Honey up front with light tartness

T - Tart with lactic acid, lemon, lemon zest, slight grassy body to it. Light lemon and honey on the back end.

MF - Medium body with a good tingle and tart presence to it. Leaves a light dry finish on it.

O - Really good Saison with a good tart and sour presence to it.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

A chilled 750ml bottled dated 6/2013 is poured into a white wine glass.

The beer is a clear, golden liquid with a few fingers of pure white foam. Uniform lacing is left behind. A few streams of rising carbonation can be seen rising within.

There is a complex mixture of aromas: wheat, spelt and farmhouse yeast. There is also a dry sweetness.

Maybe it's just the glass I'm using, but something about Clara reminds me of a dry white wine. The flavors are earthy and grainy—no fruitiness at all—so that's not it. Maybe it's the light bitterness that tastes like white grape tannins. I'm not sure. It is a tasty beer though. I especially enjoy the grain profile; I feel like you can really taste the wheat and barley.

The beer is a touch heavier than I expected and the carbonation seems low. There is a slight sharpness to the aftertaste.

This is an enjoyable beer. It's not my favorite example of the style, but I'm also not upset that I have an extra bottle of it. If I made the long journey to Hill Farmstead and this was all I came home with, I may be a bit disappointed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with the outstanding quality of the other HF beers I've had, I was expecting more from Clara.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Clara Grisette from Hill Farmstead Brewery