Birth Of Tragedy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: s1ckboy on 11-20-2011

Birth of Tragedy is the imperial and oak barrel-aged version of our annual winter porter, Twilight of the Idols. Brewed with locally roasted coffee and Vermont honey, we age this beer for a year in personally selected bourbon barrels from our favorite distilleries.
Reviews: 161 | Hads: 1,058
Reviews by sleuthdog:
4.17/5  rDev -4.6%

This one courtesy of franklinn
2012 vintage poured into Bruery tulip

Pour: Pours a deep black that a mirror like reflection in the glass. There was no head formation but there is a ring of small to medium bubbles along the edge of the glass. I have struggled to see alcohol legs on on other beers but let me tell you the legs on this were absolutely there! No lacing but wow the alcohol legs cling to the glass!

Smell: Bourbon and inciting vanilla jump up to my nose first. There is an obvious oak, subtle coffee and I do get the sweetness from the honey. Dark chocolate truffle candies drenched in sweet bourbon is the best way I can sum up this one.

Taste: A big sweet vanilla forward bourbon bomb and I'm loving this! Dark chocolate and roasted coffee noted as well. Some smoke and roasted malts mixed in with the background the honey creates is amazing. Alcohol is there but not overpowering at all.

Mouthfeel: As is known this one has little carbonation and this is the only place this beer lets me down a bit. I would appreciate some more carbonation as it feels too flat but with the flavors this beer has I don't give a shit! It is flat but smooth with a medium body.

Overall: This is my first non IPA from HF and my first that has gotten the barrel
treatment and despite the lack of carbonation this is one enjoyable drinking experience. The flavors are all in perfect balance and perfectly complement each other.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from 10/2013. An absolutely beautiful beer. Restrained coffee notes on this bottle but a very pleasant coconut aroma and flavor typical of a bourbon barrel aged beer. Better than Black Note, on par with BCS. Rich, but slightly drier than BCS.

Taste: beautiful, complex. subtle intermingling of flavors.
The bourbon and chocolate notes were both subtle and distinctive.
thick and substantial mouthfeel...The bourbon presence is perfection.
I absolutely loved this, from the moment I took my first sip,
and it immediately became my favorite beer of all time.
this is phenomenal! I cannot wait until the time I may be fortunate enough to have this truly special offering again.

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +3%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

500ml bottle poured into a hill farmstead tulip.

Pours a pitch black that's thick as oil. Nose is sweet, malty lots of vanilla and a bit of honey.

Taste is chocolate and roasty, sweet lots of oaky vanilla with a bit of a hot finish. Overall its really creamy and delicious. I don't quite taste it as an imperial twilight but its still very good.

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%