Damon (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Damon (Bourbon Barrel Aged)Damon (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Wants: 1,030
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Damon (1993-2004) The time spent with loved ones, now lost, seems to affect our mind and body perpetually: memories happen upon us, unsuspectingly, and bring about tears of fond remembrance. Damon was our brother – devout and patient in an age of busyness and distraction. In his honor, we crafted and conditioned this Imperial Stout in bourbon barrels from our favorite distillery. We still reflect, daily, upon our Damon and his scruffy chin of grey – of his loyalty and his love.

Aged in Blanton's bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2012)

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

4.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Sampled at EBF Saturday afternoon. Solid black color with an off white head. Aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Flavor follows the aroma quite well with a bit of a dry finish. Light body and level of carbonation with a sweet slick mouthfeel. Smells wonderful tastes pretty good but is a bit thin and finishes kind of dry. I’m a bit disappointed with this one because the other Hill stuff I’ve had has been exceptional. Maybe I can revisit this after the bottles come out.
I was able to try this again out of a bottle on 5/11/2012, thanks Matt. Pours a solid black with a thinnish tan head. Smells a lot of bourbon with chocolate, oak, vanilla, coffee, roast, and a hint of smoke. Flavor is big and bold with the bourbon and the alcohol that comes with it. Roasty chocolate and coffee with hints of vanilla and oak in there. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation and a chewy sweet mouthfeel. I certainly enjoyed the sample I had out of the bottle much better than at the fest. This is a damn good stout and I do love me some stout. Its a shame these beers are so hard to come by. My rating reflects my impression of the bottle version.

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to IrishColonial for sharing a 500ml bottle of this with us the other night. It poured close to black in color with a thin, frothy tan head to it. The head quickly dissipated down to a thin ring of bubbles concentrating around the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of roasted, smoky and slightly burnt malts to it right off the bat. The bourbon is pretty reserved in it, but adds a little complexity to the background. There is also a little bit of a fruity, almost wine like quality coming out as it warmed A decent amount of alcohol shows in it, but not too bad.

The taste also has some bold, bitter, roasted malts with a touch of burnt smokiness to them. Again, it's pretty light on the bourbon but it does give it a little warming alcohol presence. I get some creamy sweetness adding some good balance to the dark malts. A little bit of a fruity, wine like character lingers in the finish.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a very good beer. Great range of flavors to it and it comes together very well.

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

From 500mL bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

-- Another solid pull from the cellar of IrishColonial --

A: Unlike HF's BoT, this is broodingly dark in appearance. Rich bootstrap brown to almost black at it's core. A healthy pour yields a .5 finger head that leads to a decent collar and no real signs of lacing.

S: A bit odd at first. This really needs to warm, allowing the beer to open up and blossom. As it does, I'm overwhelmed with charred hops, rich dark malts, a splash of warm dark chocolate brownie batter and medium toast.

T: I get the feeling that the folks at HF really like their smoke, as this starts out a bit smokey - just as their Jim and BoT do. I'm also getting a good bit of earth and a solid bite from the hop oil. Hints of medium body red wine and their barrels linger around in my mouth, though I'm not sure if they used wine barrels. On the finish, I get some subdued, mature bourbon and hints of fresh oak.

M: Extremely rich and dense. It's not BCBS, but it doesn't have to be. Luxurious texture adds to the complexity of the beer. The carbonation is spot-on.

O: Another winner from HF, whose seemingly on quite a roll. Intricate and delicate, yet big and bold. My hats are off to everyone involved in Damon, as it really is unlike any other RIS I've encountered. Heartily recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

Split this beer with starrdogg after we picked it up from HF. Poured into a snifter.

A - Jet black. No other way to describe it. Really lacking in carbonation even after a super aggressive pour. Slight bubbles make their way to the top of the beer.

S - A lot of vanilla and wood on the nose. There is a scent there that I can't really put my finger on, but it just smelled a tad odd and out of place. Not unpleasant, it just didn't mesh.

T - Wow. Just, wow. TONS of roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla. They all intermingle perfectly together. Slightly better than BoT.

M - Smooth and silky, no alcohol on the back end. An incredibly drinkable beer for being a barreled stout.

O - Another winner. Simply a beautifully done beer. His barreled beers can compete with anyone. Worth every last bit of the hype.

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Excellent beer, to me the unique thing about this beer is the finish; chocolate, coconut, vanilla, citrus(?) but not in a sour way at all, just a hint of something maybe from the hops(?). Mouthfeel was excellent as well. Up front its definitely stout, bourbon, wood, etc. all very well balanced, on the sweet side but certainly not too sweet. Overall an amazing beer, and uniquely complex in the finish especially.

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours almost pitch black with a small tan head that fades into a wisp.

Smells of sweet bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and coconut. No one aroma overpowers the others.

Taste is similar. Starts out chocolately before showing some of the barrel characteristics. Coconut and vanilla especially come to the forefront and increase as it warms. Bourbon adds just a kiss of a boozy flavor to it, but isn't the main feature.

Fairly thick and viscous mouthfeel, something HF always nails on their IPA's and does so again on this.

Overall this is a very good beer, but hardly the mind blowing experience many others made me expect. I feel it could use some coffee or some other bitter roasted malt to balance it out more. There are lots of good flavors, but they are all on the sweeter side. Still good, but would probably shoot to being one of my favorite with a touch of balance.

Damon (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Hill Farmstead Brewery