Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ann - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AnnAnn

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: yourefragile on 05-27-2012

Ann is the wine barrel-aged version of Anna, our grandfather's sister, as well as the name of our honey farmstead ale. In her honor, we fill French oak wine barrels with Anna and allow the beer to mature in the presence of our resident microflora. After extended aging for as long as it requires to reach its apex, a beautifully complex beer emerges; Anna becomes Ann. Only the finest expressions of barrel-aged Anna become Ann; our version of Grand Cru, this beer represents the finest barrel results at their peak representation. Each 750ml bottle is naturally carbonated and hand-dipped in beeswax, Ann exhibits and showcases the microflora of her landscape.

This did not disappoint in any way and cannot see how this could be better. Perhaps the most enjoyable saison I have encountered. Hype aside this is just an amazing beer. It flat out sucks it is not more accessible. I almost wish it wasn't so good ;) The aging honey and refreshingly tart characteristics blend artfully well. Complex flavor and remarkably refreshing. I could drink this endlessly. (397 characters)

Sneezyachew generously shared this bottle with myself and 5 other BAs. Very thankful for that. Poured into brandy snifters.
So, first of all this beer smells amazing... Before you even open it. The beeswax seal sets the tone for the rest of the experience. Ann pours a beautiful hazy gold with a small white head. Smells of sweet flowers and honey, white wine and citrus. The taste follows nicely with honey and wine, with earthy farmhouse notes coming though. Sweet with a nice tart funk on the finish. Effervescent, but perfectly so. Really nice mouthfeel and incessantly drinkable. Overall, excellent. So glad that I have another bottle of this one! (652 characters)

Golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head.

The nose brings hay, lemon acidity, floral aromas, soft wood and white grape. Spicy saison esters underneath and just enough funk.

Citrus dances on your tastebuds. Any more and it would overpower this beer. Creamy brett flavor and barrel tannins on the finish, like a woody Chardonnay. A pleasant butteriness and tart lemon-like acidity reveal itself more as the beer warms up. Fizzy carbonation scrubs your tongue.

This is when beer becomes an art and everything is working in perfect harmony. One bottle will not suffice. (576 characters)

I really wanted to not like this beer. I really wanted to storm in here, 2.5s a-blazin'. Just not going to happen, though.

The aroma was perfect - green apple and barnyard funk and a blast of fruity goodness. Carbonated like a perfect champagne. Reading "honey saison aged in chardonnay barrels with microflora" made me think it could all clash and be unimpressive. Instead, the base beer came through for a bit and then the fruit blast comes in - citrus that is just on the right side of the overpowering/beautifully balanced line. Everything came together perfectly. It ended with a sweet and sour interplay between the honey and chardonnay aging and the lactic acidity that just capped it off perfectly.

Thanks so much to Quackus for making this possible. (760 characters)

Clear deep golden body under an airy tall white head. Floral lemon and sun-kissed hay on the nose. Deliciously harmonious flavors... pineapple, floral honey, white grape, slight barrel presence and hints of funk. Crisp but not overly-dry. Ridiculously easy-drinking. If I could drink one beer for the rest of my life, I might very well chose this. (347 characters)

Probably my top beer ever. Highly hyped but totally met my expectation. The aroma and taste is unlike any saison I've ever tried. The mouthfeel is so delicate but it doesn't compromise on the flavor. Truly a masterpiece. Probably Shaun Hill's best beer to date. (261 characters)

HUMONGOUS thanks to mac for sharing this...and reaching out to me to invite me to this tasting to share in the pleasure that is this beer. Enjoyed on 7/27 at Top Hops at a mini tasting with some awesome BAs. Hell of a night and kicked off a wonderful weekend of beer tasting!

a - I can't believe it...it actually is a 5 in appearance. Gorgeous murky yellow. Like a summer day. Gorgeous head. Foamy and wonderful looking.

s - OH WOW! Perfect tart. Grass. Lemon. Wine. Orange peel. Zest. Just a hint of rotten eggs.

t - WOW! Like a spring day. Soft and easy drinking. Zesty. Grassy. Lemon. Chardonnay.

m - Creamy. Wonderful. Nothing wrong with this beer.

o - Wow. I really didn't want to love this. I didn't want to buy into the hype and went into this ready to bash it and say that all the homers are hyping...but the fact is, this beer really is THAT good. Even the beeswax that seals the bottle smells awesome. As an extreme beer geek who saves labels, I took home the bottle from the tasting and my man cave has this bottle up and the room has just smelled amazing since Friday. Every time I walk in there, I remember that beer. 5's all around...the full monty...well deserved. (1,184 characters)

Got to try this rarity thanks to the best fellow BAs a BA could ask for. I find this beer to be so special that drinking it is comparable to killing a unicorn..with like a bomb. In all seriousness Ann transcends categorization as it has characteristics of numerous varieties of Belgian ales. The majestic looking bottle was complimented by aromatic beeswax that smelled of raw honey. Ann's appearance is a cloudy yellow-gold with a 1 cm head that stuck around like whoa. Beautiful lacing. When pouring we made sure to divide the last bit evenly to ensure that everyone experienced the same level of yeasty-funk-cloud. Ann's aroma is the epitome of nose candy. The first thing that hit me was beeswax, honey, and sweet malts that was immediately followed by a wine and barnyard lemony funk. Oak was also easily detectable. The first taste that hit me was the lactic lemony sourness that surpasses the common tartness in many farmhouse ales. The sourness and the wine flavor compliment each other so well. Following was honey (microflora), sweet malts, with an oakey finish. Taste buds are firing on all cylinders throughout from the acidity. I found myself running my tongue along the insides of my cheeks to keep tasting the lingering sourness of Ann once she was gone. The mouth feel was a wonderful medium body and I hate using this word when reviewing, but the carbonation level was PERFECT. Overall Ann was the most unforgettable beer in a tasting that included Cantillon, King Henry, and other heavy hitters. Luckily I have friends with more Ann which increases the chance that all get to try her again and figuratively hit beer lottery jackpot once more. I feel very privileged. Thank you Shaun Hill, you are brilliant. (1,725 characters)

I am finally getting around to uploading my review after the 2nd anniversary party. I'm a HUGE fan of Art and Arthur but I don't like Anna as much so I didn't have that high of hopes.

The pour looks really stellar. Just like Art, beautiful colour, nice head. Incredible nose, the light saison character of Anna without the sweetness. Wine barrel melds well with the brett and funk. The taste is just as amazing. Smooth, light, flavourful, Ann did what Art did to me all over again. Loving where the world of saisons and Shaun have brought us (542 characters)

This one more than lived up the hype. When you are working off of a base beer like Anna, it is hard to go wrong with a wine-barrel aged variant, but this was even better than I expected. Although I actually enjoyed Art more, they are both 5s. (242 characters)

Where to start? Well, the cap smells like Burt's Bees, and so I even kept that.

Poured into a brandy snifter glass with five others.

A- Pours a hazy orange to pale yellow. Leaves a thin white head, which stays as you drink. The lacing is perfect.

S- The aroma smells of honey, earth, beeswax, and a touch of wine seeps through.

T- A bit sour and funky. Can also taste oak and Sauv Blanc (thanks Shaun!)

O- This beer is amazing. Luckily, I still have one and a friend has another, so more tasting to come. (509 characters)

Bottle #122

Poured into some Hill Farmstead stemware. Beautiful golden honey body with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Nice lacing. Lots of earthy French oak notes in the aroma. Light mustiness with hay and floral honey. The taste continues to bring out some great oak notes from the barrel and mixes with a touch of honey and earthy grains. Light floral-citrus acidity throughout. Tastes amazing. Body is smooth with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it. Overall, this beer is essentially perfect. I really can’t see how a farmhouse ale/saison could get better than this. One of the best beers I have ever had. (645 characters)

Thanks to Scotty-Do for the bottle share.

A: Pours a light, faded gold with a billowing white head. Huge carbonation on this one.

S: Light vinuous notes, citrus, a complex funk-like character, and some bready maltiness. A lot going on here, but nothing overpowers the others.

T: A bit of funk and lactic tartness up front. Citrus and biscuity malt follow to round out the body. There's a lot of complex tartness going on, but it's light and fleeting. Very refreshing. So damn drinkable.

M: Champagne-like carbonation, with a bubbly mouthfeel. Quenching, but instantly demands another sip. Delightful.

O: Completely worth the hype IMO. Probably the single most drinkable beer I've ever had. On a hot day, I could put away multiple bottles. Now to wait until Shaun puts this one out again so I can get my hands on more. Truly an excellent beer. (849 characters)

I could not hold off long from opening this bottle; the sweet smell of honey that the beeswax gives off induced me into opening this a day after the release.

Drove up from Long Island, NY on friday to attend Saturdays release. I arrived at the brewery around 7:30 and ended up being first in line!

Bottle #250 of 300

A: Poured a beautiful golden color with an orange hue. About two fingers of fluffy white head formed; the retention on this is phenomenal, as the head died down to a constant half finger layer of froth. streams of bottles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top. Absolutely beautiful looking beer.

S: Lots of funkiness and wine character upfront in the aroma. There is a hint of honey, and a heaping amount of citrus. Outstanding aromatic qualities on this Saison.

T: Mild funkiness upfront that makes way for the emergence of a ton of juicy fruity citrus character. The end of the mouth is a mingling of sweetness from the honey and lactic sourness from the barrels. The sweetness really tames the sourness keeping it at a extremely balanced level. Again, outstanding.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body. So juicy and extremely drinkable.

O: Just when I thought it could not get any better than Mimosa, Shaun creates and shares another exceptional beer. I can say with confidence that this is one of the best beers that I have tried to date (easily among my top 5). Its quite simple: everything in this beer works, and it all works REALLY well. (1,495 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Beer #600:

In the parking lot of a strip mall BYOB Italian joint in suburban Dallas, it happened. We cracked her. Months of anticipation and it all culminates in this. People came from around the state and country to join us in this momentous event. Poured from a 2015 bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

Appearance: A pale, hazy honey white/gold, it almost glows. Tiny white head sticking around a while and leaving spotted lacing around the glass.

Smell: Phenomenal. That signature Hill Farmstead yeast profile really shines here. I get melon, like honeydew melon, and a really gorgeous, perfect citrus character. The beeswax on the bottle smells sweet and floral too. Beautiful.

Taste: Holy shit, fantastic. Delicate, gorgeous citrus perfume. Light tang in an orange juice kind of way. Imagine honeydew melon, soaked in orange, maybe tangerine juice with a splash of wildflower honey. Juicy juicy. Classic Hill Farmstead funk adds a tad of bitterness to balance out the light sweetness of the honey. A crackery malt to finish things up.Just fantastic. It lives up to the hype, this is just everything I hoped it would be.

Mouthfeel: Light, tiny bubbled carbonation just makes everything else about this beer perfect.

Overall: Everything I could ever hope for. Perfect beer. Not quite the best beer I've ever had, but certainly close and easily among the best, most balanced Saisons I've had. Perfection. The hype is real. (1,432 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

As I am reviewing the "it" beer of the moment, I'll do my best to review the beer as I drink it, and not simply write the review based on preconceived notions one (me) could have already formed about the beer given the state of the forums right now, and the nearly perfect sore the beer has already garnered. Basically, if Shaun Hill is the beer messiah we've been waiting for, let's make sure we get the story right, and not let myth get muddled with beer reality (beereality). Onwards!
Served into a brandy snifter with 5 other great BA's. Pours a golden orange-hay color with a tiny bit of yeasty haze. Not much lacing here.
Smells, like the bottle wax, like beeswax and honey. Then I'm getting a lot of herbs and green apple funk.
The taste is just wonderfully floral and earthy. The honey from Anna is not gone, but emerges perfectly with the other flavors. Evolution at its finest. The wine barrels are definitely not hidden, and thank Shaun for that. Champagne yeast balance brilliantly with sweet sweet hops. This is some saison!
Mouthfeel is bubbly, but not fizzy like lime soda. Just the right level of carb.
This is a saison right up there with world class lambiks. I have a friend with a bottle. I plan to be veryyy nice to her. (1,240 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle #96, purchased at Hill Farmstead during the bottle release and shared with family, poured into HF stemware. Couldn't wait any longer after reading the reviews.

Was worried about it being a gusher after the couple reviews mentioned it, but no issues at all. Beeswax was an incredible touch.

A: "Sunset" is the best description. Hazy at first and golden yellow-orange, but clearing as the beer settles. Bubbles are tiny, creating a thick head of about a finger or two in each glass. Lacing stuck around for the entire beer.

S: While cold, the nose up front is mostly dry white wine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange) and flowers. The sour / farmhouse funk notes got stronger as the beer warmed.

T: Everything you want in a beer. The saison wasn't overpowered by the wine barrel-aging, nor the sour, nor the "microflora" additions, but all of them intermingled with a slight sweetness perfectly. Complex enough for a serious beer drinker, but drinkable enough for non-BAs to love.

M: Finished about as cleanly as any beer I've ever had. The champagne-like bubbles gave an effervescence to the beer, and I would never have guessed this was above 6% ABV.

O: One of my family members said, "If all beer tasted like this, I would drink a LOT more." I couldn't agree more. This was only my fourth HF beer, but it was the best of my week in Vermont, and I understand now why people are saying that Shaun is turning beer into an art form. (1,442 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Sharing this with a few of the guys today. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

The beer is a beautiful golden color with a soft, white head. Noticeable lacing throughout the glass.

The aroma brings honey, grass, lemons, subtle funk, white wine, oak. Really complex and profound. The beeswax cap smells fantastic as well.

The flavor is a tad sweet, with a beautiful honey presence. Extremely well balanced. With every sip, a new flavor seems to emerge. Lovely white wine / white grape character. Pleasant, subtle tart character in the finish. Without doubt the most complex and gracefully balanced example of the style I have yet encountered. Like sipping a world class champagne or white wine.

Overall, this is certainly a stellar beer. I'm very glad that I was able to make it to this release and acquire this. (865 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +5.8%

Popped in the cool, moist basement of a renowned beer bar that shall remain nameless. Our host is indeed a farm hillstead fan and appreciates our offering. In return for our generosity he offers us some beers that may as well not exist(I could tell you, but then Id have to kill you).

The first thing that any adult group of discerning beer advocates would do is pass the bottle around for each person to smell the beeswax. I was glad we did.

Upon opening the bottle, I couldnt help but shed a tear for the lost wales that could have been acquired via auction style trade. Alas, I march on.

The pour is yellow/gold/orange with just a little bit of head and nice lacing. A bit cloudy but no sediment.

I get floral notes, a bit of brett/funk, some lemon, barrel, and some of the base saison characteristics in the nose.

Taste is similiar. Its funky but not at all overly sour. Strong wine charactertics. Some lemon. It all just works. One word: balanced.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp with moderate but not over the top carbonation.

Overall easily the best of the style Ive ever had. It's also unlike basically anything else in its style so it even to style? I'll let you decide. Someone pass me that empty bottle I wanna smell the wax again. (1,250 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

This is about as perfect as you can get in a barrel aged saison. Very well balanced with no one characteristic overpowering the other.

Found it very interesting having it next to Art B3. Those of us that prefer Arthur to Anna, actually preferred Ann to Art. And those that prefer Anna actually preferred Art. Now we all agreed that both are hard 5's, so we are talking very small preferences.

Wish we could have waited and done a CD11 at the same time too, but hopefully will get to try it soon... (503 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle #18 purchased in person during the release last weekend shared with Wowcoolman, Auror, and WkndatBernardus at our tasting (served right after Anna). Served in Hill Farmstead stemware, split 4-ways.

First off I have to say the beeswax waxing definitely gives off a nice sweet honey smell.

A- Wax was fairly easy to get through.The bottle started off a little bit of a gusher, but not bad at all. Pours with a hazy yellowish golden (very similar to Anna) with some definite sedimentation towards the end of the bottle. A couple fingers of head with decent retention, nice carbonation, decent lacing.

S- Sour lemons, citrus, honey, barnyard funk, some sauvignon, hay, etc.. Well above average aroma strength, I could smell this beer when it was being poured 5 feet away from me. Definitely a lot more sour then Anna.

T- Sour lemons, hay, citrus, sauvignon, honey, some well balanced lactic acidity that fit very well with the other flavors. The base tastes of Anna are still there however there is a completely different level of sourness + acidity that the barrel aging provides that adds a whole different component to this beer and definitely adds new level of complexity and improvement.

M- Acidity left a nice tingling feeling on the mouth. Light, perfect summer beer, very easy to drink, abv very well hidden.

O- This was a remarkable beer. Anna was good in itself and the barrel aging took this beer to a whole different level. There was definitely a lot more acidity and funk going on, almost so much that it seemed like a completely different beer. At the same time everything was perfectly balanced. The funk + sourness blended perfectly with the honey and citrus to make an insanely drinkable beer. Our favorite beer at the tasting tonight (and there were some great beers) and definitely another masterpiece from Shaun at Hill Farmstead. Keep up the great work, glad I got to share it with some awesome BAs! (1,929 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.5%

Color: Straw yellow. Thin, lacy, white head, that dissipates quickly.
Smell: Tart, citrus, spicy, floral, which a hint of funk. Melon, honeydew, and some lemon citrus notes. Outstanding!
Taste: Delicate, dry, and a refreshing tartness. Melon, some stone fruits, citrus, and honey-like character, all layered together.
Feel: Very dry and clean, yet a very good balance of flavors. This beer doesn't leave the mouth feeling fatigued or dry, nor does it overwhelm the palate. Fantastic beer, in every respect. (506 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750ml bottle, 2015 release, poured into a Hill Farmstead oversized wine glass. Enjoyed on 3.7.15, reviewed from Tasting Journal.

The beer pours a pale, golden color, hazy and cloudy with a soft white head, moderate retention but super lacing around the glass. The aroma is fantastic, white wine oak, pale grain, berry yeast, light citrus, white grape, big wildflower, raw honey, mild funk. This is about as bright and delicate as I can imagine a saison being, lovely wine influence, nice honey character reminds you of Anna. The flavors are impeccable, again, so bright and delicate, white wine grapes, wildflower, tangerine and lemon, mellow pale grain that is such a soft base yet firmly anchors the beer together, musty oak, fruity yeast that has just a touch of funkiness to it, not overly barnyard, exceptional balance. The mouthfeel is yet another triumph, creamy, smooth, lively, medium body, intense coating, as good as it can get for a saison and just a hint of a dry sensation at the finish.

Verdict: A stunner of a beer from Hill Farmstead, elegant, refined and delicate. It takes everything great from Anna and adds a really special wine character, not too acidic, not too oaky, just right in the sweet spot. It's easy to understand how much care and how selective they are with this beer. Effortlessly complex yet refreshing and quaffable, one of the finest beers to ever be made. (1,396 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Huge, huge thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this bottle. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass. First off, the beeswax on the bottle is an excellent touch. Not only does it look nice, but it smells phenomenal, setting the tone for the beer.

The beer itself pours a nice, bright yellow. Fairly clear with a huge white head and great retention. As the head falls, heavy sheets of lacing on the sides of the glass. Collar throughout.

The nose carries a wonderful mixture of white wine, honey, hay, lemon zest, very light barnyard, and a touch of acidity. Masterfully blended so that each time I take another whiff, something else seems to come to the front. The flavor is equally as integrated, and is aided by an absolutely incredible mouthfeel. Some green grapes alongside lemon and hay. Mild earthy funk behind a good dose of white wine. Touch of oak.

Mouthfeel is crisp. Very nice carbonation. The mouthfeel is an enigma. At the same time, there's a touch of sweetness alongside a bit of white-wine tartness, mild funk, and touch of oak. Each aspect is beautifully melded together. Hard to describe. The flavor lingers and is accentuated by mild acidity. Saison and touch of pepper comes through at the very end.

Overall, this tastes like the blood of a fallen beer god. It's just a gorgeous beer, and one of my top 5-10 of all time. A wonderful experience, and something tells me, Shaun has better things yet to come. (1,427 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +4.1%

750 mL bottle shared on Friday night of the 2nd Anniversary party by Shaun. This is Anna aged in Sauvignon Blanc barrels with local microflora.

Frothy, retentive near white head settles on a hazed golden body, slowly fading to a finger thick head and thin sheets of lace. Nose if funky, fruity and mildly sour. Medium light body, effervescent carbonation, and soft full texture. The barrel aging adds a dimension missing from the base beer, adding a strong white grape and light lactic sour presences; overall sweet and fruity though out, but well balanced and a dry finish. A favorite of the weekend for me, can't wait for a release of this. (643 characters)

Ann from Hill Farmstead Brewery