Ann - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AnnAnn

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 05-27-2012)

wesley14, Jul 16, 2012

Sneezyachew generously shared this bottle with myself and 5 other BAs. Very thankful for that. Poured into brandy snifters.
So, first of all this beer smells amazing... Before you even open it. The beeswax seal sets the tone for the rest of the experience. Ann pours a beautiful hazy gold with a small white head. Smells of sweet flowers and honey, white wine and citrus. The taste follows nicely with honey and wine, with earthy farmhouse notes coming though. Sweet with a nice tart funk on the finish. Effervescent, but perfectly so. Really nice mouthfeel and incessantly drinkable. Overall, excellent. So glad that I have another bottle of this one!

lalaloveyou, Aug 02, 2012

Golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head.

The nose brings hay, lemon acidity, floral aromas, soft wood and white grape. Spicy saison esters underneath and just enough funk.

Citrus dances on your tastebuds. Any more and it would overpower this beer. Creamy brett flavor and barrel tannins on the finish, like a woody Chardonnay. A pleasant butteriness and tart lemon-like acidity reveal itself more as the beer warms up. Fizzy carbonation scrubs your tongue.

This is when beer becomes an art and everything is working in perfect harmony. One bottle will not suffice.

BearsOnAcid, Jul 17, 2012

dcguitar, Jan 17, 2013

amnesia85, Oct 28, 2012

I really wanted to not like this beer. I really wanted to storm in here, 2.5s a-blazin'. Just not going to happen, though.

The aroma was perfect - green apple and barnyard funk and a blast of fruity goodness. Carbonated like a perfect champagne. Reading "honey saison aged in chardonnay barrels with microflora" made me think it could all clash and be unimpressive. Instead, the base beer came through for a bit and then the fruit blast comes in - citrus that is just on the right side of the overpowering/beautifully balanced line. Everything came together perfectly. It ended with a sweet and sour interplay between the honey and chardonnay aging and the lactic acidity that just capped it off perfectly.

Thanks so much to Quackus for making this possible.

Franch, Jul 30, 2012

Clear deep golden body under an airy tall white head. Floral lemon and sun-kissed hay on the nose. Deliciously harmonious flavors... pineapple, floral honey, white grape, slight barrel presence and hints of funk. Crisp but not overly-dry. Ridiculously easy-drinking. If I could drink one beer for the rest of my life, I might very well chose this.

abuliarose, Jul 20, 2012

HUMONGOUS thanks to mac for sharing this...and reaching out to me to invite me to this tasting to share in the pleasure that is this beer. Enjoyed on 7/27 at Top Hops at a mini tasting with some awesome BAs. Hell of a night and kicked off a wonderful weekend of beer tasting!

a - I can't believe it...it actually is a 5 in appearance. Gorgeous murky yellow. Like a summer day. Gorgeous head. Foamy and wonderful looking.

s - OH WOW! Perfect tart. Grass. Lemon. Wine. Orange peel. Zest. Just a hint of rotten eggs.

t - WOW! Like a spring day. Soft and easy drinking. Zesty. Grassy. Lemon. Chardonnay.

m - Creamy. Wonderful. Nothing wrong with this beer.

o - Wow. I really didn't want to love this. I didn't want to buy into the hype and went into this ready to bash it and say that all the homers are hyping...but the fact is, this beer really is THAT good. Even the beeswax that seals the bottle smells awesome. As an extreme beer geek who saves labels, I took home the bottle from the tasting and my man cave has this bottle up and the room has just smelled amazing since Friday. Every time I walk in there, I remember that beer. 5's all around...the full monty...well deserved.

cosmicevan, Aug 01, 2012

polishkaz, Jul 15, 2012

Got to try this rarity thanks to the best fellow BAs a BA could ask for. I find this beer to be so special that drinking it is comparable to killing a unicorn..with like a bomb. In all seriousness Ann transcends categorization as it has characteristics of numerous varieties of Belgian ales. The majestic looking bottle was complimented by aromatic beeswax that smelled of raw honey. Ann's appearance is a cloudy yellow-gold with a 1 cm head that stuck around like whoa. Beautiful lacing. When pouring we made sure to divide the last bit evenly to ensure that everyone experienced the same level of yeasty-funk-cloud. Ann's aroma is the epitome of nose candy. The first thing that hit me was beeswax, honey, and sweet malts that was immediately followed by a wine and barnyard lemony funk. Oak was also easily detectable. The first taste that hit me was the lactic lemony sourness that surpasses the common tartness in many farmhouse ales. The sourness and the wine flavor compliment each other so well. Following was honey (microflora), sweet malts, with an oakey finish. Taste buds are firing on all cylinders throughout from the acidity. I found myself running my tongue along the insides of my cheeks to keep tasting the lingering sourness of Ann once she was gone. The mouth feel was a wonderful medium body and I hate using this word when reviewing, but the carbonation level was PERFECT. Overall Ann was the most unforgettable beer in a tasting that included Cantillon, King Henry, and other heavy hitters. Luckily I have friends with more Ann which increases the chance that all get to try her again and figuratively hit beer lottery jackpot once more. I feel very privileged. Thank you Shaun Hill, you are brilliant.

Mielbeer, Aug 01, 2012

POTABLE83, May 24, 2013

stevec32, Sep 30, 2012

I am finally getting around to uploading my review after the 2nd anniversary party. I'm a HUGE fan of Art and Arthur but I don't like Anna as much so I didn't have that high of hopes.

The pour looks really stellar. Just like Art, beautiful colour, nice head. Incredible nose, the light saison character of Anna without the sweetness. Wine barrel melds well with the brett and funk. The taste is just as amazing. Smooth, light, flavourful, Ann did what Art did to me all over again. Loving where the world of saisons and Shaun have brought us

Urbancaver, Jul 23, 2012

alliupsidedown, Dec 29, 2012

baybum, Apr 29, 2013

dunix, May 07, 2013

beernads, May 18, 2013

Where to start? Well, the cap smells like Burt's Bees, and so I even kept that.

Poured into a brandy snifter glass with five others.

A- Pours a hazy orange to pale yellow. Leaves a thin white head, which stays as you drink. The lacing is perfect.

S- The aroma smells of honey, earth, beeswax, and a touch of wine seeps through.

T- A bit sour and funky. Can also taste oak and Sauv Blanc (thanks Shaun!)

O- This beer is amazing. Luckily, I still have one and a friend has another, so more tasting to come.

AutumnBeerLove, Aug 01, 2012

Bottle #122

Poured into some Hill Farmstead stemware. Beautiful golden honey body with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Nice lacing. Lots of earthy French oak notes in the aroma. Light mustiness with hay and floral honey. The taste continues to bring out some great oak notes from the barrel and mixes with a touch of honey and earthy grains. Light floral-citrus acidity throughout. Tastes amazing. Body is smooth with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it. Overall, this beer is essentially perfect. I really can’t see how a farmhouse ale/saison could get better than this. One of the best beers I have ever had.

sisuspeed, Jul 20, 2012

Kirk, May 14, 2014

Quackus, Jan 08, 2013

Thanks to Scotty-Do for the bottle share.

A: Pours a light, faded gold with a billowing white head. Huge carbonation on this one.

S: Light vinuous notes, citrus, a complex funk-like character, and some bready maltiness. A lot going on here, but nothing overpowers the others.

T: A bit of funk and lactic tartness up front. Citrus and biscuity malt follow to round out the body. There's a lot of complex tartness going on, but it's light and fleeting. Very refreshing. So damn drinkable.

M: Champagne-like carbonation, with a bubbly mouthfeel. Quenching, but instantly demands another sip. Delightful.

O: Completely worth the hype IMO. Probably the single most drinkable beer I've ever had. On a hot day, I could put away multiple bottles. Now to wait until Shaun puts this one out again so I can get my hands on more. Truly an excellent beer.

vonnegut21, Oct 01, 2012