Ann - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AnnAnn

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 05-27-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »

Sneezyachew generously shared this bottle with myself and 5 other BAs. Very thankful for that. Poured into brandy snifters.
So, first of all this beer smells amazing... Before you even open it. The beeswax seal sets the tone for the rest of the experience. Ann pours a beautiful hazy gold with a small white head. Smells of sweet flowers and honey, white wine and citrus. The taste follows nicely with honey and wine, with earthy farmhouse notes coming though. Sweet with a nice tart funk on the finish. Effervescent, but perfectly so. Really nice mouthfeel and incessantly drinkable. Overall, excellent. So glad that I have another bottle of this one!

lalaloveyou, Aug 02, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Popped in the cool, moist basement of a renowned beer bar that shall remain nameless. Our host is indeed a farm hillstead fan and appreciates our offering. In return for our generosity he offers us some beers that may as well not exist(I could tell you, but then Id have to kill you).

The first thing that any adult group of discerning beer advocates would do is pass the bottle around for each person to smell the beeswax. I was glad we did.

Upon opening the bottle, I couldnt help but shed a tear for the lost wales that could have been acquired via auction style trade. Alas, I march on.

The pour is yellow/gold/orange with just a little bit of head and nice lacing. A bit cloudy but no sediment.

I get floral notes, a bit of brett/funk, some lemon, barrel, and some of the base saison characteristics in the nose.

Taste is similiar. Its funky but not at all overly sour. Strong wine charactertics. Some lemon. It all just works. One word: balanced.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp with moderate but not over the top carbonation.

Overall easily the best of the style Ive ever had. It's also unlike basically anything else in its style so it even to style? I'll let you decide. Someone pass me that empty bottle I wanna smell the wax again.

Mag00n, Aug 01, 2012

Got to try this rarity thanks to the best fellow BAs a BA could ask for. I find this beer to be so special that drinking it is comparable to killing a unicorn..with like a bomb. In all seriousness Ann transcends categorization as it has characteristics of numerous varieties of Belgian ales. The majestic looking bottle was complimented by aromatic beeswax that smelled of raw honey. Ann's appearance is a cloudy yellow-gold with a 1 cm head that stuck around like whoa. Beautiful lacing. When pouring we made sure to divide the last bit evenly to ensure that everyone experienced the same level of yeasty-funk-cloud. Ann's aroma is the epitome of nose candy. The first thing that hit me was beeswax, honey, and sweet malts that was immediately followed by a wine and barnyard lemony funk. Oak was also easily detectable. The first taste that hit me was the lactic lemony sourness that surpasses the common tartness in many farmhouse ales. The sourness and the wine flavor compliment each other so well. Following was honey (microflora), sweet malts, with an oakey finish. Taste buds are firing on all cylinders throughout from the acidity. I found myself running my tongue along the insides of my cheeks to keep tasting the lingering sourness of Ann once she was gone. The mouth feel was a wonderful medium body and I hate using this word when reviewing, but the carbonation level was PERFECT. Overall Ann was the most unforgettable beer in a tasting that included Cantillon, King Henry, and other heavy hitters. Luckily I have friends with more Ann which increases the chance that all get to try her again and figuratively hit beer lottery jackpot once more. I feel very privileged. Thank you Shaun Hill, you are brilliant.

Mielbeer, Aug 01, 2012

HUMONGOUS thanks to mac for sharing this...and reaching out to me to invite me to this tasting to share in the pleasure that is this beer. Enjoyed on 7/27 at Top Hops at a mini tasting with some awesome BAs. Hell of a night and kicked off a wonderful weekend of beer tasting!

a - I can't believe it...it actually is a 5 in appearance. Gorgeous murky yellow. Like a summer day. Gorgeous head. Foamy and wonderful looking.

s - OH WOW! Perfect tart. Grass. Lemon. Wine. Orange peel. Zest. Just a hint of rotten eggs.

t - WOW! Like a spring day. Soft and easy drinking. Zesty. Grassy. Lemon. Chardonnay.

m - Creamy. Wonderful. Nothing wrong with this beer.

o - Wow. I really didn't want to love this. I didn't want to buy into the hype and went into this ready to bash it and say that all the homers are hyping...but the fact is, this beer really is THAT good. Even the beeswax that seals the bottle smells awesome. As an extreme beer geek who saves labels, I took home the bottle from the tasting and my man cave has this bottle up and the room has just smelled amazing since Friday. Every time I walk in there, I remember that beer. 5's all around...the full monty...well deserved.

cosmicevan, Aug 01, 2012

Where to start? Well, the cap smells like Burt's Bees, and so I even kept that.

Poured into a brandy snifter glass with five others.

A- Pours a hazy orange to pale yellow. Leaves a thin white head, which stays as you drink. The lacing is perfect.

S- The aroma smells of honey, earth, beeswax, and a touch of wine seeps through.

T- A bit sour and funky. Can also taste oak and Sauv Blanc (thanks Shaun!)

O- This beer is amazing. Luckily, I still have one and a friend has another, so more tasting to come.

AutumnBeerLove, Aug 01, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

As I am reviewing the "it" beer of the moment, I'll do my best to review the beer as I drink it, and not simply write the review based on preconceived notions one (me) could have already formed about the beer given the state of the forums right now, and the nearly perfect sore the beer has already garnered. Basically, if Shaun Hill is the beer messiah we've been waiting for, let's make sure we get the story right, and not let myth get muddled with beer reality (beereality). Onwards!
Served into a brandy snifter with 5 other great BA's. Pours a golden orange-hay color with a tiny bit of yeasty haze. Not much lacing here.
Smells, like the bottle wax, like beeswax and honey. Then I'm getting a lot of herbs and green apple funk.
The taste is just wonderfully floral and earthy. The honey from Anna is not gone, but emerges perfectly with the other flavors. Evolution at its finest. The wine barrels are definitely not hidden, and thank Shaun for that. Champagne yeast balance brilliantly with sweet sweet hops. This is some saison!
Mouthfeel is bubbly, but not fizzy like lime soda. Just the right level of carb.
This is a saison right up there with world class lambiks. I have a friend with a bottle. I plan to be veryyy nice to her.

SneezyAchew, Aug 01, 2012

I really wanted to not like this beer. I really wanted to storm in here, 2.5s a-blazin'. Just not going to happen, though.

The aroma was perfect - green apple and barnyard funk and a blast of fruity goodness. Carbonated like a perfect champagne. Reading "honey saison aged in chardonnay barrels with microflora" made me think it could all clash and be unimpressive. Instead, the base beer came through for a bit and then the fruit blast comes in - citrus that is just on the right side of the overpowering/beautifully balanced line. Everything came together perfectly. It ended with a sweet and sour interplay between the honey and chardonnay aging and the lactic acidity that just capped it off perfectly.

Thanks so much to Quackus for making this possible.

Franch, Jul 30, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

thstevens12, Jul 27, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle #96, purchased at Hill Farmstead during the bottle release and shared with family, poured into HF stemware. Couldn't wait any longer after reading the reviews.

Was worried about it being a gusher after the couple reviews mentioned it, but no issues at all. Beeswax was an incredible touch.

A: "Sunset" is the best description. Hazy at first and golden yellow-orange, but clearing as the beer settles. Bubbles are tiny, creating a thick head of about a finger or two in each glass. Lacing stuck around for the entire beer.

S: While cold, the nose up front is mostly dry white wine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange) and flowers. The sour / farmhouse funk notes got stronger as the beer warmed.

T: Everything you want in a beer. The saison wasn't overpowered by the wine barrel-aging, nor the sour, nor the "microflora" additions, but all of them intermingled with a slight sweetness perfectly. Complex enough for a serious beer drinker, but drinkable enough for non-BAs to love.

M: Finished about as cleanly as any beer I've ever had. The champagne-like bubbles gave an effervescence to the beer, and I would never have guessed this was above 6% ABV.

O: One of my family members said, "If all beer tasted like this, I would drink a LOT more." I couldn't agree more. This was only my fourth HF beer, but it was the best of my week in Vermont, and I understand now why people are saying that Shaun is turning beer into an art form.

grachdar, Jul 26, 2012

ErrandWolfe, Jul 23, 2012

trevorpost, Jul 23, 2012

I am finally getting around to uploading my review after the 2nd anniversary party. I'm a HUGE fan of Art and Arthur but I don't like Anna as much so I didn't have that high of hopes.

The pour looks really stellar. Just like Art, beautiful colour, nice head. Incredible nose, the light saison character of Anna without the sweetness. Wine barrel melds well with the brett and funk. The taste is just as amazing. Smooth, light, flavourful, Ann did what Art did to me all over again. Loving where the world of saisons and Shaun have brought us

Urbancaver, Jul 23, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

bottle #93 purchased at the brewery.

a slight gusher but nothing was spilled and the head surprisingly didn't overflow the two glasses I split this into. a hazy golden/hay color with a pure white frothy head that sticks to the side of the glass like paint.

green apple skin, hay, grass, flowers, peaches, tropical fruit, a bit acidic, grape skin, oak.... a bunch going on here.

tart, but not that over powers the plethora of flavors that follows. hay, tropical fruit, stone fruit, dry white wine, oak, flowers, apple juice. just a plethora of fruity, earthy, tart, oaky flavors all intermingling with nothing overpowering but everything complementing.

champagne-like small bubbles give an effervescence that adds to the tingling feeling from the tartness.

well... this is one of the best I've had in a long time. Not really my style, but this one transcends the styles and is a work of art.

silentjay, Jul 21, 2012

Auror, Jul 21, 2012

Clear deep golden body under an airy tall white head. Floral lemon and sun-kissed hay on the nose. Deliciously harmonious flavors... pineapple, floral honey, white grape, slight barrel presence and hints of funk. Crisp but not overly-dry. Ridiculously easy-drinking. If I could drink one beer for the rest of my life, I might very well chose this.

abuliarose, Jul 20, 2012

Bottle #122

Poured into some Hill Farmstead stemware. Beautiful golden honey body with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Nice lacing. Lots of earthy French oak notes in the aroma. Light mustiness with hay and floral honey. The taste continues to bring out some great oak notes from the barrel and mixes with a touch of honey and earthy grains. Light floral-citrus acidity throughout. Tastes amazing. Body is smooth with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it. Overall, this beer is essentially perfect. I really can’t see how a farmhouse ale/saison could get better than this. One of the best beers I have ever had.

sisuspeed, Jul 20, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle #18 purchased in person during the release last weekend shared with Wowcoolman, Auror, and WkndatBernardus at our tasting (served right after Anna). Served in Hill Farmstead stemware, split 4-ways.

First off I have to say the beeswax waxing definitely gives off a nice sweet honey smell.

A- Wax was fairly easy to get through.The bottle started off a little bit of a gusher, but not bad at all. Pours with a hazy yellowish golden (very similar to Anna) with some definite sedimentation towards the end of the bottle. A couple fingers of head with decent retention, nice carbonation, decent lacing.

S- Sour lemons, citrus, honey, barnyard funk, some sauvignon, hay, etc.. Well above average aroma strength, I could smell this beer when it was being poured 5 feet away from me. Definitely a lot more sour then Anna.

T- Sour lemons, hay, citrus, sauvignon, honey, some well balanced lactic acidity that fit very well with the other flavors. The base tastes of Anna are still there however there is a completely different level of sourness + acidity that the barrel aging provides that adds a whole different component to this beer and definitely adds new level of complexity and improvement.

M- Acidity left a nice tingling feeling on the mouth. Light, perfect summer beer, very easy to drink, abv very well hidden.

O- This was a remarkable beer. Anna was good in itself and the barrel aging took this beer to a whole different level. There was definitely a lot more acidity and funk going on, almost so much that it seemed like a completely different beer. At the same time everything was perfectly balanced. The funk + sourness blended perfectly with the honey and citrus to make an insanely drinkable beer. Our favorite beer at the tasting tonight (and there were some great beers) and definitely another masterpiece from Shaun at Hill Farmstead. Keep up the great work, glad I got to share it with some awesome BAs!

jaasen64, Jul 20, 2012

jsilva, Jul 17, 2012

Golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head.

The nose brings hay, lemon acidity, floral aromas, soft wood and white grape. Spicy saison esters underneath and just enough funk.

Citrus dances on your tastebuds. Any more and it would overpower this beer. Creamy brett flavor and barrel tannins on the finish, like a woody Chardonnay. A pleasant butteriness and tart lemon-like acidity reveal itself more as the beer warms up. Fizzy carbonation scrubs your tongue.

This is when beer becomes an art and everything is working in perfect harmony. One bottle will not suffice.

BearsOnAcid, Jul 17, 2012

I could not hold off long from opening this bottle; the sweet smell of honey that the beeswax gives off induced me into opening this a day after the release.

Drove up from Long Island, NY on friday to attend Saturdays release. I arrived at the brewery around 7:30 and ended up being first in line!

Bottle #250 of 300

A: Poured a beautiful golden color with an orange hue. About two fingers of fluffy white head formed; the retention on this is phenomenal, as the head died down to a constant half finger layer of froth. streams of bottles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top. Absolutely beautiful looking beer.

S: Lots of funkiness and wine character upfront in the aroma. There is a hint of honey, and a heaping amount of citrus. Outstanding aromatic qualities on this Saison.

T: Mild funkiness upfront that makes way for the emergence of a ton of juicy fruity citrus character. The end of the mouth is a mingling of sweetness from the honey and lactic sourness from the barrels. The sweetness really tames the sourness keeping it at a extremely balanced level. Again, outstanding.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body. So juicy and extremely drinkable.

O: Just when I thought it could not get any better than Mimosa, Shaun creates and shares another exceptional beer. I can say with confidence that this is one of the best beers that I have tried to date (easily among my top 5). Its quite simple: everything in this beer works, and it all works REALLY well.

xenjoiii, Jul 16, 2012

wesley14, Jul 16, 2012

polishkaz, Jul 15, 2012

orangesol, Jun 08, 2012
4.86/5  rDev +7.3%

750 mL bottle shared on Friday night of the 2nd Anniversary party by Shaun. This is Anna aged in Sauvignon Blanc barrels with local microflora.

Frothy, retentive near white head settles on a hazed golden body, slowly fading to a finger thick head and thin sheets of lace. Nose if funky, fruity and mildly sour. Medium light body, effervescent carbonation, and soft full texture. The barrel aging adds a dimension missing from the base beer, adding a strong white grape and light lactic sour presences; overall sweet and fruity though out, but well balanced and a dry finish. A favorite of the weekend for me, can't wait for a release of this.

yourefragile, May 27, 2012
4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured in a Hill Farmstead taster. (bottle share)

A~ super hazy glowing yellow, not much of a head, and no lacing at all.

S~ tons of fermented honey, white grapes, vinegar and white wine. super strong acidity unlike any brew i've ever smelt.

T~ wow! this is crazy unique! pretty much follows the nose with more saison aspects. black pepper and bready yeast. all ending with a strong lemon vinegar tartness.

M~ not very carbonated but thats probably because the sample was saved for me. otherwise super smooth with the texture of dank lemonade. if this was freshly cracked i'm sure this would have had a nearly perfect score.

O~ definitely the most unique brew i've ever had the pleasure of experiencing! i'm hoping this is still being done again but i'm sure it won't be the same, this is just too crazy! hopefully its the same kind of wine barrel as well, the white wine/grape aspect is unreal! i seriously hope to have another chance to try this, 2 ounces was not enough!

Skrip, May 28, 2014