Ann - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: yourefragile on 05-27-2012

Ann is the wine barrel-aged version of Anna, our grandfather's sister, as well as the name of our honey farmstead ale. In her honor, we fill French oak wine barrels with Anna and allow the beer to mature in the presence of our resident microflora. After extended aging for as long as it requires to reach its apex, a beautifully complex beer emerges; Anna becomes Ann. Only the finest expressions of barrel-aged Anna become Ann; our version of Grand Cru, this beer represents the finest barrel results at their peak representation. Each 750ml bottle is naturally carbonated and hand-dipped in beeswax, Ann exhibits and showcases the microflora of her landscape.
Ratings: 223 | Reviews: 61
4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

As I am reviewing the "it" beer of the moment, I'll do my best to review the beer as I drink it, and not simply write the review based on preconceived notions one (me) could have already formed about the beer given the state of the forums right now, and the nearly perfect sore the beer has already garnered. Basically, if Shaun Hill is the beer messiah we've been waiting for, let's make sure we get the story right, and not let myth get muddled with beer reality (beereality). Onwards!
Served into a brandy snifter with 5 other great BA's. Pours a golden orange-hay color with a tiny bit of yeasty haze. Not much lacing here.
Smells, like the bottle wax, like beeswax and honey. Then I'm getting a lot of herbs and green apple funk.
The taste is just wonderfully floral and earthy. The honey from Anna is not gone, but emerges perfectly with the other flavors. Evolution at its finest. The wine barrels are definitely not hidden, and thank Shaun for that. Champagne yeast balance brilliantly with sweet sweet hops. This is some saison!
Mouthfeel is bubbly, but not fizzy like lime soda. Just the right level of carb.
This is a saison right up there with world class lambiks. I have a friend with a bottle. I plan to be veryyy nice to her.

I really wanted to not like this beer. I really wanted to storm in here, 2.5s a-blazin'. Just not going to happen, though.

The aroma was perfect - green apple and barnyard funk and a blast of fruity goodness. Carbonated like a perfect champagne. Reading "honey saison aged in chardonnay barrels with microflora" made me think it could all clash and be unimpressive. Instead, the base beer came through for a bit and then the fruit blast comes in - citrus that is just on the right side of the overpowering/beautifully balanced line. Everything came together perfectly. It ended with a sweet and sour interplay between the honey and chardonnay aging and the lactic acidity that just capped it off perfectly.

Thanks so much to Quackus for making this possible.

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle #96, purchased at Hill Farmstead during the bottle release and shared with family, poured into HF stemware. Couldn't wait any longer after reading the reviews.

Was worried about it being a gusher after the couple reviews mentioned it, but no issues at all. Beeswax was an incredible touch.

A: "Sunset" is the best description. Hazy at first and golden yellow-orange, but clearing as the beer settles. Bubbles are tiny, creating a thick head of about a finger or two in each glass. Lacing stuck around for the entire beer.

S: While cold, the nose up front is mostly dry white wine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon, orange) and flowers. The sour / farmhouse funk notes got stronger as the beer warmed.

T: Everything you want in a beer. The saison wasn't overpowered by the wine barrel-aging, nor the sour, nor the "microflora" additions, but all of them intermingled with a slight sweetness perfectly. Complex enough for a serious beer drinker, but drinkable enough for non-BAs to love.

M: Finished about as cleanly as any beer I've ever had. The champagne-like bubbles gave an effervescence to the beer, and I would never have guessed this was above 6% ABV.

O: One of my family members said, "If all beer tasted like this, I would drink a LOT more." I couldn't agree more. This was only my fourth HF beer, but it was the best of my week in Vermont, and I understand now why people are saying that Shaun is turning beer into an art form.

I am finally getting around to uploading my review after the 2nd anniversary party. I'm a HUGE fan of Art and Arthur but I don't like Anna as much so I didn't have that high of hopes.

The pour looks really stellar. Just like Art, beautiful colour, nice head. Incredible nose, the light saison character of Anna without the sweetness. Wine barrel melds well with the brett and funk. The taste is just as amazing. Smooth, light, flavourful, Ann did what Art did to me all over again. Loving where the world of saisons and Shaun have brought us

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

bottle #93 purchased at the brewery.

a slight gusher but nothing was spilled and the head surprisingly didn't overflow the two glasses I split this into. a hazy golden/hay color with a pure white frothy head that sticks to the side of the glass like paint.

green apple skin, hay, grass, flowers, peaches, tropical fruit, a bit acidic, grape skin, oak.... a bunch going on here.

tart, but not that over powers the plethora of flavors that follows. hay, tropical fruit, stone fruit, dry white wine, oak, flowers, apple juice. just a plethora of fruity, earthy, tart, oaky flavors all intermingling with nothing overpowering but everything complementing.

champagne-like small bubbles give an effervescence that adds to the tingling feeling from the tartness.

well... this is one of the best I've had in a long time. Not really my style, but this one transcends the styles and is a work of art.

Clear deep golden body under an airy tall white head. Floral lemon and sun-kissed hay on the nose. Deliciously harmonious flavors... pineapple, floral honey, white grape, slight barrel presence and hints of funk. Crisp but not overly-dry. Ridiculously easy-drinking. If I could drink one beer for the rest of my life, I might very well chose this.

Bottle #122

Poured into some Hill Farmstead stemware. Beautiful golden honey body with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Nice lacing. Lots of earthy French oak notes in the aroma. Light mustiness with hay and floral honey. The taste continues to bring out some great oak notes from the barrel and mixes with a touch of honey and earthy grains. Light floral-citrus acidity throughout. Tastes amazing. Body is smooth with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it. Overall, this beer is essentially perfect. I really can’t see how a farmhouse ale/saison could get better than this. One of the best beers I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle #18 purchased in person during the release last weekend shared with Wowcoolman, Auror, and WkndatBernardus at our tasting (served right after Anna). Served in Hill Farmstead stemware, split 4-ways.

First off I have to say the beeswax waxing definitely gives off a nice sweet honey smell.

A- Wax was fairly easy to get through.The bottle started off a little bit of a gusher, but not bad at all. Pours with a hazy yellowish golden (very similar to Anna) with some definite sedimentation towards the end of the bottle. A couple fingers of head with decent retention, nice carbonation, decent lacing.

S- Sour lemons, citrus, honey, barnyard funk, some sauvignon, hay, etc.. Well above average aroma strength, I could smell this beer when it was being poured 5 feet away from me. Definitely a lot more sour then Anna.

T- Sour lemons, hay, citrus, sauvignon, honey, some well balanced lactic acidity that fit very well with the other flavors. The base tastes of Anna are still there however there is a completely different level of sourness + acidity that the barrel aging provides that adds a whole different component to this beer and definitely adds new level of complexity and improvement.

M- Acidity left a nice tingling feeling on the mouth. Light, perfect summer beer, very easy to drink, abv very well hidden.

O- This was a remarkable beer. Anna was good in itself and the barrel aging took this beer to a whole different level. There was definitely a lot more acidity and funk going on, almost so much that it seemed like a completely different beer. At the same time everything was perfectly balanced. The funk + sourness blended perfectly with the honey and citrus to make an insanely drinkable beer. Our favorite beer at the tasting tonight (and there were some great beers) and definitely another masterpiece from Shaun at Hill Farmstead. Keep up the great work, glad I got to share it with some awesome BAs!

Golden yellow body with a big fluffy white head.

The nose brings hay, lemon acidity, floral aromas, soft wood and white grape. Spicy saison esters underneath and just enough funk.

Citrus dances on your tastebuds. Any more and it would overpower this beer. Creamy brett flavor and barrel tannins on the finish, like a woody Chardonnay. A pleasant butteriness and tart lemon-like acidity reveal itself more as the beer warms up. Fizzy carbonation scrubs your tongue.

This is when beer becomes an art and everything is working in perfect harmony. One bottle will not suffice.

I could not hold off long from opening this bottle; the sweet smell of honey that the beeswax gives off induced me into opening this a day after the release.

Drove up from Long Island, NY on friday to attend Saturdays release. I arrived at the brewery around 7:30 and ended up being first in line!

Bottle #250 of 300

A: Poured a beautiful golden color with an orange hue. About two fingers of fluffy white head formed; the retention on this is phenomenal, as the head died down to a constant half finger layer of froth. streams of bottles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top. Absolutely beautiful looking beer.

S: Lots of funkiness and wine character upfront in the aroma. There is a hint of honey, and a heaping amount of citrus. Outstanding aromatic qualities on this Saison.

T: Mild funkiness upfront that makes way for the emergence of a ton of juicy fruity citrus character. The end of the mouth is a mingling of sweetness from the honey and lactic sourness from the barrels. The sweetness really tames the sourness keeping it at a extremely balanced level. Again, outstanding.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body. So juicy and extremely drinkable.

O: Just when I thought it could not get any better than Mimosa, Shaun creates and shares another exceptional beer. I can say with confidence that this is one of the best beers that I have tried to date (easily among my top 5). Its quite simple: everything in this beer works, and it all works REALLY well.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

750 mL bottle shared on Friday night of the 2nd Anniversary party by Shaun. This is Anna aged in Sauvignon Blanc barrels with local microflora.

Frothy, retentive near white head settles on a hazed golden body, slowly fading to a finger thick head and thin sheets of lace. Nose if funky, fruity and mildly sour. Medium light body, effervescent carbonation, and soft full texture. The barrel aging adds a dimension missing from the base beer, adding a strong white grape and light lactic sour presences; overall sweet and fruity though out, but well balanced and a dry finish. A favorite of the weekend for me, can't wait for a release of this.

Ann from Hill Farmstead Brewery