Society & Solitude #4 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: jlindros on 07-08-2012

Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy.
Ratings: 696 | Reviews: 100

I made the pilgrimage to the Hill Farmstead Brewery in early August and picked up a 2 liter growler of this particularly fruity Imperial IPA brewed with Citra and Galaxy hops. Why 2 liters? Let's just say I couldn't resist. Beer was poured from the growler into my St. Bernardus chalice. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): A medium strength pour from the growler produces a luxuriant 2 finger, white head of foam that sits atop a body of opaque, peach orange colored beer. A significant amount of sticky lacing lines the sides of the glass. This is one of the most picturesque IPAs I have seen: it has the signature HF peach orange hue and opaqueness due to its being unfiltered and demonstrates ample head and lacing. Everything you want to see in a beer, nothing less.

Smell (5/5): Notes of pineapple, tropical fruit, some pine. There is a distinct earthiness to the S & S #4's aroma that I really like. There are faint hints of malt that push back, albeit gently and, ultimately, ineffectually against the tidal wave of fruity hop aromas.

Taste (5/5): The first thing anyone notices about this IPA is the absurd level of fruitiness going on: mango, pineapple, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, and cantaloupe. A little piney flavor is worked in there as well. The bitterness is medium-ish, to put it technically; hop astringence is less prevalent than hop sweetness and fruitiness. S & S's bitterness grows as you consume and the hop oils saturate the tongue, however. A nice biscuity malt provides a nice bit of token resistance. Minimal alcohol presence in the back does not distract at all from the wonderful hop flavor experience. Legit perfection here.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Society and Solitude #4 has a medium body and good medium-light carbonation. This is a very smooth beer. Unlike many IPA's, this one doesn't have much prickliness to it. It is highly drinkable and never feels thick or cloying because of body, poor carbonation problems, or resinous-ness.

Overall (5/5): Hill Farmstead Society and Solitude #4 is, simply put, incredible beer and is one of my favorite Imperial IPAs. It is a beautiful, exceptionally fruity, mildly bitter, and immensely drinkable beer that begs to be had fresh. Whenever you see it on tap or at the brewery in Greensboro Bend, VT, make sure to snag some. I hope all you hop-lovers enjoy it as much as I did.

I do not say this lightly... but this beer is perfect. It is absolutely perfect. I am not usually a fan of hoppy beers or IPAs in general.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy golden. The smell is of rich tropical fruits, with a hint of pine.

The taste? Unreal. Beautiful hints of tropical fruit with just a touch of pine, a touch of sweetness, and perfect carbonation. The bitterness is there, but it is very low.... much lower than I am used to for this style, and that is perfect.

I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. This is one brewery that actually lives up to the hype.

My favorite Double IPA to date. I've had all the Top ones other than King Sue and Society & Solitude #5.

The beer comes in a slightly hazy golden orange.

The aroma smacks of lots of peach, citrus peel, a Sunny Delight citrus sweet tropical.

The flavor follows with citrus peel again, more tropical of peach, mango, with a slightly sugary bready malt. The sugary sweetness is balanced by that tropical and citrus flavor with those juicy flavors throughout.

My new favorite beer from Hill Farmstead, beating S&S #6 and Abner. This beer stands next to Double Sunshine as my favorite DIPA, or beer ever.

Ok double galaxy meets double citra here we go.

A- murky ultra HF yellow an excellent off white head of foam. Spider-Man like lacing reaches to the side as the brew completely glows in the glass. The most vibrant look you can ever expect. The body screams DIPA

S- there it is.... Papaya, mango, citrus, pineapple, tropical oasis in a glass! Citra and galaxy accompanied by a prickly pine scent that is combined to create something you can only find from HF. This is what is meant by the terminology tropical bouquet. The scent is viral as it bursts into your nostrils and literally clings there. It's perfect... A utopia of DIPA's if you will

T- a cascade of smooth pineapple and mango glides over the tongue while some fresh waves of grass and mild earthiness dust along. So clean and full of a citric hop bouquet. Waves of prickly pineapples coate, sting, and consume the entire mouth. This is the real deal. Massively clean and constructed to dominate with a shade of bitterness

M- HF creaminess and carbonated flavor blasts the palate. Absolutely wicked.

O- I never thought I could have a beer that topped Double Galaxy. Well... Society and Solitude 4 just tied it! This tropical apocalypse just manifested itself as the best beer I have ever had (tied with DG). Unbelievably clean and full of the best hop profile one can ask for. Shaun Hill is the best brewer in the history of mankind. I'm serious

Amazing beer, try it if you ever have the chance.

SS#4 750ml poured into a HF stem

A- Bright golden cloudy hue with a pillowy soft head, looks incredibly inviting

S- Great, mango, passionfruit, papaya, some bitter grapefruit,

T- Initially soft burst of citrus bitter akin to more of a tangerine/orange rind that turns into waves of passionfruit, mango and then kicks in with a more defined grapefruit like bitterness, amazing how many different flavors you get in this...no alcohol and some light cracker malt keeps the bitterness from being overwhelming

M- perfect, not too dry, still a touch of body to carry all the hop flavor

O- One of my favorite beers, dangerously drinkable, even more so than Heady; may be my favorite HF IPA

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I've heard a lot about Hill Farmstead and the beers that I've had from Hill Farmstead prior to this have been great to oh my god fantastic. I was in Vermont for the weekend and I have Everett, Edward, and Walden. While I though all were good, only Everett was amazing to me. Now, I barely got three growlers of HFS at the brewery because I overlooked the fact that they were cash only. Anyway, I got three smaller growlers and I'll review Susan and Abner when I have then.

I'm not going to do a full ASTMO review, but this beer was incredible. While a lot of IPAs get that citrus grapefruit-y flavor, #4 gets more of oranges. It's sweeter and tangier. It has some but not most of the sour quality of the more grape fruitier IPAs. It's got a little more of that creamy IPA goodness you'd get from an IPA that has more of that banana/guava goodness. Overall, Society and Solitude #4 will leave you wanting more because it is so damn good.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but this makes me feel grateful to be home and enjoy such a great beer..

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from growler taken from brewery in less than 18 hour period poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

A slight dull lemony yellow body, but some nice faint green hues here also ever so slight. Opaque. Easily one to two finger rich creamy white and merringue head, thick clumps of lacing, big retention, lots of staying power. Wonderful looking brew.

What a great nose on this. Citrus and tropical hob bomb, without the mushy sweetness. Smells like fresh tropical fruit from the island. Mango, faint peach, incredibly fleshy, with warm earthy hop tones, and even a grain fresh ripping malt sense. Unreal.

Taste brings pure magic. Juicy palate and wonderful tropical fruit punch body, with a good thickness. Hop juice finish, mild resin, with big hints of mango and soft baguette dough french bread on the aftertaste. Full, rich, luscious.

Overall just and amazing creation, flooring. Just a stunning brew. Reminds me of a superior Odell Myrcenary.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Golden yellow body with a sticky white head.

A big dank, stinky hop aroma. Melon, grass, and tropical fruits.

The beer is straight up dank as hell. Resinous and fiendishly bitter but exploding with passion fruit, fresh cut grass, and lemon rind.

Still, it attains a high level of drinkability with all that going on.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Filled at the brewery, 10 day old batch.
Super special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this one. Your generosity never ceases to amaze...

A- Hazy sunset hued pour with a two finger, large white bubbled head. Slowly fades to a thin cap leaving gobs of lacing around the sides of the glass.

S- Huge amounts of grapefruit, it's as if it has grapefruit juice in it. That sour, citrusy pulpy flesh thrown right in. Bitter pine and than it sweetens out with pineapple, mango and a touch of mandarin and strawberries. This truly is a remarkable smelling beer. Super citrus forward just the way I like it and the way it should be!

T- Grapefruit, mango, mandarin oranges, mango and pineapple. Very tropical but still bitter enough with the citrus and pine hop profile to make any hop head savour every sip. Lingering grapefruit finish.

M- Heavier side of light bodied, good carbonation.

O- I think I found the perfect (if not top 2) IPAs ever produced. It's literally perfect in every sense, the grapefruit is what does it for me. I used to hate grapefruit years ago but now I can't get enough, and having it jammed in a bottle of beer from a highly regarded brewery makes it even better!

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Growler from 9-18-13, drank on 9-29-13. Thanks to DonFrap for snagging this one for me!

This poured a hazy gold color with a foamy, thick off-white head that stays for a long time, leaving lacing down the glass as you go.

The aroma on this thing... wow. After my pour I was sitting back in my chair playing on my phone, a good 3 feet from the glass, and the smell was overpowering. Incredibly mango and citrusy hop and fruit smell.

The taste is an ever-changing complex arrangement that leaves you wishing the bottle was bottomless. At the forefront is a pleasant mango and fruit that tapers off to a biting grapefruit. The way this changes in your mouth is incredible.

Medium mouthfeel with perfect carbonation (even after spending a week and a half in the growler).

I wouldn't change a thing about this beer, except make it available more often.

A must have.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

This review is a based on culmination of notes taken from when I had the beer fresh on draft (at Positive Pie) and from a three day old growler filled at Hill Farmstead Brewery.

A: Poured a deep golden color with an apricot-orange tinted hue with about a finger and a half of white head. The head receded into suds and a thick rim around the walls of the glass.

S: The aroma on the beer reveals hints of orange, grapefruit, and tangerines. The beer holds a very "clean" smell. One of the better smelling DIPAs I have head (reminds me of Abner).

T: This is what an IPA should taste like; bright sweet citrus quality engulfs my palate (notes of sweet orange and sugar sprinkled grapefruit) upfront. Out the back is mild sweetness that is over taking by a lingering bitterness.

M: Light/Soft carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

O: A very well crafted IPA. The aroma is an excellent foreword to the taste. The taste is extremely balanced and full of flavor. On par, if not better than Abner (and I loved Abner).

Thanks LambicKing!
Pours a fairly hazy peach color with a great fluffy white head with great retention and lacing.

Lovely nose full of tropical fruit, pineapple, apricot, mango and citrus peels.

Flavor is fantastic. Amazing light citrus. Fantastically balanced with a slightly fruity sweetness up front and finishing with a lovely citrussy and mildly bitter hop back end.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. So light and crisp. So good on this un-godly hot CA summer day.

Overall, God I wish HF was in CA. I've had this and Abner as far as their ipas and both are just phenomenal!

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

On draft at Blackback pub in Waterbury. I also drank a 750 mL of this last week.

The beer appears hazy and golden hued with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers a delectable bouquet of citrus and hops. Malt presence seems minimal - seems very promising so far. OK I'm back...just went to a different universe when I tasted this. To say this is delicious and smooth doesn't begin to do this beer justice. Light bodied without being thin. Dangerously drinkable. Will report back after I come back down from this...

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.

A - Familiar HF hazy, golden, orangeish-yellow, straw color with three finger head with great lacing and retention. Beautiful.

S - Sweet, hoppy, fruit juice with some mellow tropical mango, pineapple balanced with sharp grapefruit citrus. pretty amazing. Hint of malt, but that's it.

T - Wow! wonderful flavor profile. You get fresh, juicy hop notes from orange & grapefruit to pineapple, mango and even banana! I've never tasted a banana like note -- delicious! Really nice balance of bitterness and sweetness throughout with a lingering finish. There is a slight pale malt presence, but easily outshined by the glorious hop juice!

M - Incredibly drinkable, especially with a medium to full body. Very robust, bursting with flavor. Great carbonation. Alcohol well hidden. As each sip lingered on the palate, it left great anticipation for the next.

O - Delicious and most enjoyable. Having sampled many of HF's DIPAs, I have perhaps even unrealistic expectations when I taste a new one. This beer delivered. It's high on the top favorites list for me. I enjoyed #4 more than either Double Citra or Double Galaxy on their own. A world class beer. So drinkable, fresh and refreshing, you could enjoy outside on a summer day, lazily passing conversation, pour after pour. Yet so equally delicious and interesting, you could savor each sip as if it were the last. I feel this is where Mr. Hill solves the Double IPA equation. Achieving the perfect combination of wonderfully interesting, unique and delicate flavor profiles that are equally as approachable, inviting, and drinkable. Well done.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Served on tap at the Reservoir in Waterbury, VT. The beer arrived in a Hill Farmstead wine glass with a creamy two-finger head and a color that is difficult to describe. It's something of a muted orange with a golden glow. The beer is uniformly cloudy. It almost looks like a mango smoothy. Can't wait to try it.

S - Totally blown away by the smell here. It's all of the citrus elements that one might describe in an IPA, wrapped up with that distinctive fresh smell.

T - Follows the nose dead on, but with a rounded, balancing bitterness that lifts the other flavors up on its shoulders. Truly a wonderful mix of flavors. No alcohol detectable.

M - Can't imagine better. A little fuller than medium bodied, but with carbonation that pushes the flavor everywhere in my mouth. It's pillowy, and not the least bit fizzy.

O - I could have just kept ordering these. Well, until I fell out of my chair. Wonderful beer. I hope everyone gets a chance to try it.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

4 day old Growler brought back by TheSevenDuffs.

A - cloudy copper orange

S - Awesome. A lot of tropical fruits but mango really stands out, some pine notes.

T - Tropical fruit, passion fruit and mango stand out amongst the impressive salvo of fruit flavors, some pine. There is an impressive amount of hop flavour without being over powering and annihilating your palate for anything else you might eat/drink

M - This is the one of the most impressive things about the beer, very dry mouth feel. Lowish carbonation.

O - An amazing beer. Full of delicious hops, fantastic mouth feel. This is one of the best beers I have ever had the good fortune of having.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best DIPA I have ever had. Pure tropical deliciousness, so damn juicy. Would drink this every day if I could. Unseats S&S 6 as my favorite HF hop bomb. Need more.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer pours that of any HF IPA I've tasted. It's a light, hazy straw color with a fluffy white head. It has the same mysterious HF glow.

Best smelling ipa. Ever. This smells so good. Juicy fruits, straight up. Papaya, mango and pineapple. A complex, well-crafted juice, if you will. Well, not quite...

Tastes a lot like the smell. This is a super complex, fruity, tangy ipa. All the same fruit flavors that come in waves after each sip. There is some bitterness in the flavor, but it serves only to balance, not to overwhelm. I don't mind an overwhelming bitterness, but that isn't what this beer is about. I don't know how it's possible to achieve such a unique and distinct flavor profile in an ipa, but I'm sure it's some brilliant combination of the galaxy, citra, and well water.

Mouthfeel is again typical of HF IPAs; and by typical I mean perfect. Creamy, rich, medium-full bodied. Insanely drinkable.

This is my second favorite ipa only next to Ephraim. The flavor profile between is is very different, but all the stand out features remain consistent between each brew. Shaun knows which elements to highlight and which elements to leave alone. Can't wait to try more and more.

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

on Tap in a Chimay goblet

A- A cloudy apricot, light orange with a thin head and nice lacing on the glass

S- Orange, grapefruit and citrus hops. A little sweetness almost like fresh strawberries. None of that barnyard hay/funk you get from other HF beers

T- A nice complex hop kick in the teeth. like a fresh sweet orange and nice balance of bitter and sweetness. Again none of that yeasty/grassy you get from the others.

M- Medium to mild. big flavor but not much carbonation

O- Another magnificent beer from HF. This beer reminds me of Lawson's 'Double Sunshine' big time.

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Farmmhouse in Burlington, VT. Amazing DIPA. Prevalent fresh delicious hops as always from Hill Farmstead.

One finger head on the pour. All sorts of fruit on the first sip with an extremely hoppy, resiny finish. Medium body and medium carbonation. Near perfect for a non Russian River DIPA ;)

4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light yellow/gold color with a finger of near white head, great lacing and retention. Amazing citrusy semi sweet flavors. Lighter citrus notes, reminiscent of pineapple and mango. Ideal drink ability, medium bodied, semi sticky but decent carbonation and bitter notes make this a very refreshing beer. My favorite HF to date.

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Cant get this beer down.. Great beer but very unique to other beers..

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Reviewed from notes, fresh growler shared by Liam.

Pale orange colour, 2 fingers of white head with some lace as well. Smell is hoppy with a nice mix of juicy tropical and citrus flavours, honeydew melon and tangerine with a light crackery malt closer. Taste has lots of honeydew melon and fruit, tropical, moderate bitterness mixed with hop flavours, dry throughout and into the finish. Lightly carbonated, medium-full body, fairly oily. Exceptional, probably the best DIPA I have had to date.

Society & Solitude #4 from Hill Farmstead Brewery