Society & Solitude #4 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Society & Solitude #4
No picture uploaded.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy.

(Beer added by: jlindros on 07-08-2012)

OnryAndMean, Jul 18, 2014

Bzah, Jul 18, 2014

insearchofhops, Jul 17, 2014
4.64/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler split into 2 HF wine stems.

Appearance: cloudy and glowing yellow bodied beer with a large 3 fingers worth of creamy bubbly white head that leaves thick lacing everywhere on the side of the glass. Head has great staying power and drops down to a clumpy and uneven cap on the beer.

Smell: Orange and tropical fruit bomb. Hint of pine. Extremely juicy and slightly dank hops.

Taste: Mild to moderate hop bitterness. So much oranges flavor its not funny. Tangy and sweet oranges. Mango, papaya, and a hint of pineapple for good measure. Bready malts balance the beer nicely while still allowing all that hop goodness to be the main event.

Mouthfeel: Almost, but not quite a medium bodied beer with low almost moderate carbonation. Very creamy mouthfeel with this DIPA. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn that I was drinking an APA. Extremely drinkable DIPA.

Overall: This beer is just like blending my favorite attributes of both PsuedoSue and Double Sunshine into one fantastic hoppy beer. I prefer this ever so slightly over Abner, but S&S4 is my favorite DIPA thus far from Hills Farmstead. These Hill Farmstead hops are among the best in the nation. This is the best hoppy beer that I have ever drank. To this point when I talked about my favorite DIPA it was always Double Sunshine; and that's been long standing for several years. Now, my new favorite DIPA is definately S&S4. I gotta say that my first trip to the east coast has opened my eyes to the fact that the east coast hoppy beers are the best in the nation. Between Hill Farmstead and Lawsons they have hoppy beers perfected. And Toppling Goliath hops are of the same world class caliber.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Jul 17, 2014

Travitten, Jul 16, 2014

liamt07, Jul 16, 2014

Scalawags, Jul 15, 2014

mwbbq, Jul 15, 2014

stereosforgeeks, Jul 15, 2014

mrebeka, Jul 15, 2014

I do not say this lightly... but this beer is perfect. It is absolutely perfect. I am not usually a fan of hoppy beers or IPAs in general.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy golden. The smell is of rich tropical fruits, with a hint of pine.

The taste? Unreal. Beautiful hints of tropical fruit with just a touch of pine, a touch of sweetness, and perfect carbonation. The bitterness is there, but it is very low.... much lower than I am used to for this style, and that is perfect.

I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. This is one brewery that actually lives up to the hype.

Jsmick, Jul 15, 2014

roostor07, Jul 13, 2014

wingwalker3, Jul 12, 2014

phishbfm, Jul 11, 2014
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice, frothy snow-white head. Retention is good, and very nice long lines of lacing persist. Brew is a pulpy, almost completely opaque light orange color.

Peppery hop notes first greet my nose (similar to NZ hop varietals), carrying tropical and light citrus notes as well. There is a sweet but understated malt presence; very much there, but not allowing itself to upstage the hops.

Flavor indeed follows the nose: very soft and subtle tropical fruits, peppery spice, and a long, muted citrus peel finish. Just a tiny hint of dankness at the end. Malt balance throughout is soft, creamy, and superb; very light biscuit and bread. Brew is intensely bitter, but incredibly approachable despite.

Long, long finish; very lively, with no sting; minimal foaming; juicy. I think medium is right about on for feel, with a huge, juicy, sticky lingering finish. The bitterness really cleanses your mouth on the finish, leaving you begging the next sip. Absolutely no hint of alcohol.

This reminds me of all the rare, sought-after new-hop-varietal big DIPAs made on the West coast, but with the soft, creamy mouthfeel that, to me, makes HF special. Fruity and peppery hops are showcased, somehow both bold and upfront, yet subtle and balanced with the malts.

Yet another superb beer. My favorite S&S? I'm thinking no, but absolutely delicious, nonetheless.

Roguer, Jul 11, 2014