Society & Solitude #4 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: jlindros on 07-08-2012

Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

4.8/5  rDev +5%

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler split into 2 HF wine stems.

Appearance: cloudy and glowing yellow bodied beer with a large 3 fingers worth of creamy bubbly white head that leaves thick lacing everywhere on the side of the glass. Head has great staying power and drops down to a clumpy and uneven cap on the beer.

Smell: Orange and tropical fruit bomb. Hint of pine. Extremely juicy and slightly dank hops.

Taste: Mild to moderate hop bitterness. So much oranges flavor its not funny. Tangy and sweet oranges. Mango, papaya, and a hint of pineapple for good measure. Bready malts balance the beer nicely while still allowing all that hop goodness to be the main event.

Mouthfeel: Almost, but not quite a medium bodied beer with low almost moderate carbonation. Very creamy mouthfeel with this DIPA. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn that I was drinking an APA. Extremely drinkable DIPA.

Overall: This beer is just like blending my favorite attributes of both PsuedoSue and Double Sunshine into one fantastic hoppy beer. I prefer this ever so slightly over Abner, but S&S4 is my favorite DIPA thus far from Hills Farmstead. These Hill Farmstead hops are among the best in the nation. This is the best hoppy beer that I have ever drank. To this point when I talked about my favorite DIPA it was always Double Sunshine; and that's been long standing for several years. Now, my new favorite DIPA is definately S&S4. I gotta say that my first trip to the east coast has opened my eyes to the fact that the east coast hoppy beers are the best in the nation. Between Hill Farmstead and Lawsons they have hoppy beers perfected. And Toppling Goliath hops are of the same world class caliber.

4.25/5  rDev -7%

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

I do not say this lightly... but this beer is perfect. It is absolutely perfect. I am not usually a fan of hoppy beers or IPAs in general.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy golden. The smell is of rich tropical fruits, with a hint of pine.

The taste? Unreal. Beautiful hints of tropical fruit with just a touch of pine, a touch of sweetness, and perfect carbonation. The bitterness is there, but it is very low.... much lower than I am used to for this style, and that is perfect.

I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. This is one brewery that actually lives up to the hype.

4.8/5  rDev +5%