Society & Solitude #4 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: jlindros on 07-08-2012

Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy.
Ratings: 702 | Reviews: 100
4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

This beer comes to me in a small snifter, a fact which I assume destroys a bit of the fluffy factor in the head. Pretty translucent golden orange color. Big aromas of tropical fruit, melon, tangerine. Its a tropical bonanza. Super fruity! Melon, tangerine, citrus, and waves of bitterness crash over my palate. Dry and medium bodied. I love these hop forward X2IPAs that aren't sticky or cloying. Sometimes I find X2IPAs can lean to far towards barleywine or strong ale. This one rocks.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Golden yellow body with a sticky white head.

A big dank, stinky hop aroma. Melon, grass, and tropical fruits.

The beer is straight up dank as hell. Resinous and fiendishly bitter but exploding with passion fruit, fresh cut grass, and lemon rind.

Still, it attains a high level of drinkability with all that going on.

3.9/5  rDev -14.8%

2l growler. Cloudy light yellow. Very heavy on the grapefruit, yet light. Kinda tastes like grapefruit juice pulp and water. Subtile and easy drinking. Pretty good, but one of my least favorite HF IPAs.

Huge thanks to Mike for sharing this growler. Pours cloudy golden amber hue with marshmellow off white head. Aroma has a nice mix of citrus bitter hops with a touch of pine. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor has upfront citrus tart note, then the finish has a strong and somewhat astringent hop bite. It lets you know that its a double. Even though it doesn’t really taste like a double. Its very deceiving. Thanks again Mike.

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shaun's S&S #4 is the best beer I've ever had from HF.
Poured from a fat growler into a plastic cup. (We were camping right after getting it in Greensboro).
Beautiful deep yellow/amber color, light frothy head.
Delicious aromas of citrus fruit and resiny hops. Couldnt wait to taste this.
First sip blown away. Hoppy, citrusy and floral with the right amount of bitterness.
A touch alcohol forward as well which I enjoy in a double IPA.
As another reviewer said, such a clean finish, so impressive.
This is a flat out world class beer. I like it much more than S&S #5.

I made the pilgrimage to the Hill Farmstead Brewery in early August and picked up a 2 liter growler of this particularly fruity Imperial IPA brewed with Citra and Galaxy hops. Why 2 liters? Let's just say I couldn't resist. Beer was poured from the growler into my St. Bernardus chalice. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): A medium strength pour from the growler produces a luxuriant 2 finger, white head of foam that sits atop a body of opaque, peach orange colored beer. A significant amount of sticky lacing lines the sides of the glass. This is one of the most picturesque IPAs I have seen: it has the signature HF peach orange hue and opaqueness due to its being unfiltered and demonstrates ample head and lacing. Everything you want to see in a beer, nothing less.

Smell (5/5): Notes of pineapple, tropical fruit, some pine. There is a distinct earthiness to the S & S #4's aroma that I really like. There are faint hints of malt that push back, albeit gently and, ultimately, ineffectually against the tidal wave of fruity hop aromas.

Taste (5/5): The first thing anyone notices about this IPA is the absurd level of fruitiness going on: mango, pineapple, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, and cantaloupe. A little piney flavor is worked in there as well. The bitterness is medium-ish, to put it technically; hop astringence is less prevalent than hop sweetness and fruitiness. S & S's bitterness grows as you consume and the hop oils saturate the tongue, however. A nice biscuity malt provides a nice bit of token resistance. Minimal alcohol presence in the back does not distract at all from the wonderful hop flavor experience. Legit perfection here.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Society and Solitude #4 has a medium body and good medium-light carbonation. This is a very smooth beer. Unlike many IPA's, this one doesn't have much prickliness to it. It is highly drinkable and never feels thick or cloying because of body, poor carbonation problems, or resinous-ness.

Overall (5/5): Hill Farmstead Society and Solitude #4 is, simply put, incredible beer and is one of my favorite Imperial IPAs. It is a beautiful, exceptionally fruity, mildly bitter, and immensely drinkable beer that begs to be had fresh. Whenever you see it on tap or at the brewery in Greensboro Bend, VT, make sure to snag some. I hope all you hop-lovers enjoy it as much as I did.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

This review is a based on culmination of notes taken from when I had the beer fresh on draft (at Positive Pie) and from a three day old growler filled at Hill Farmstead Brewery.

A: Poured a deep golden color with an apricot-orange tinted hue with about a finger and a half of white head. The head receded into suds and a thick rim around the walls of the glass.

S: The aroma on the beer reveals hints of orange, grapefruit, and tangerines. The beer holds a very "clean" smell. One of the better smelling DIPAs I have head (reminds me of Abner).

T: This is what an IPA should taste like; bright sweet citrus quality engulfs my palate (notes of sweet orange and sugar sprinkled grapefruit) upfront. Out the back is mild sweetness that is over taking by a lingering bitterness.

M: Light/Soft carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

O: A very well crafted IPA. The aroma is an excellent foreword to the taste. The taste is extremely balanced and full of flavor. On par, if not better than Abner (and I loved Abner).

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml growler opened on September 4, 2012. I'm fearful for the day when a google search of "Society & Solitude" brings up Hill Farmstead beers instead of Emerson, but according to Greg Currie, literature can't give us insight into the mind and its workings anyways, so I drink Hill Farmstead when I could be reading Emerson.

Pours a cloudy tangerine yellow-orange. A finger of resilient, creamy white head sticks around.

Riper-than-ripe juicyfruit nose. Unbelievable tropical fruit, mango, tangerine, lemon citrus, pineapple, maybe a hint of green leafy bitterness. Bright, bitter, and brilliant.

More of the same. A citra bomb on the front of the palate, beaming citrus and pineapple, playing right into galaxy's passionfruit/tropical fruit brilliance. Mango juice. This beer sweats more juicy, fruity bitterness than other beers are made of. Resinous finish. Just enough sweetness to pull this back from the too-bitter.

Creamy; medium, medium light bodied.

At this point I'm convinced Shaun knows something other brewers don't. One of my personal favorites from his repertoire of IPAs/DIPAs, and playing right into my weaknesses, S&S #4 is a nearly perfect showcase of what citra and galaxy can do.

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

on Tap in a Chimay goblet

A- A cloudy apricot, light orange with a thin head and nice lacing on the glass

S- Orange, grapefruit and citrus hops. A little sweetness almost like fresh strawberries. None of that barnyard hay/funk you get from other HF beers

T- A nice complex hop kick in the teeth. like a fresh sweet orange and nice balance of bitter and sweetness. Again none of that yeasty/grassy you get from the others.

M- Medium to mild. big flavor but not much carbonation

O- Another magnificent beer from HF. This beer reminds me of Lawson's 'Double Sunshine' big time.

I do not say this lightly... but this beer is perfect. It is absolutely perfect. I am not usually a fan of hoppy beers or IPAs in general.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy golden. The smell is of rich tropical fruits, with a hint of pine.

The taste? Unreal. Beautiful hints of tropical fruit with just a touch of pine, a touch of sweetness, and perfect carbonation. The bitterness is there, but it is very low.... much lower than I am used to for this style, and that is perfect.

I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. This is one brewery that actually lives up to the hype.

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

750mL flip-top thanks to DoctorB2B. Full haze, glowing peach pour. Medium white foam with delicate lacing. Fresh peach and butterscotch nose with mild salt, sweat, and thick melon sorbet. Taste is fresh and juicy with a pretty hefty white alcohol Gin bite. Long, herbal sage and white pepper finish. Alcohol is apparent, but the overall experience is juicy, fresh, and soft. Really nice as always. Amazingly quenching, soft palate that comes off as mango, white grapefruit sorbet. One of my favorite DIPAs ever.

750ml growler poured into a Kane snifter.

A~ glowing neon yellow, with a nice fluffy head and some lacing.

S~ crazy citrus hop presence. Nice and earthy and full of life!

T~ pretty much follows the nose, you can really tell the difference between the citra and galaxy. They really play nice together. More mango, lemon like bitterness comes in on the after taste.

M~ super smooth and amazing carbonation as always.

O~ definitely not my favorite of the series but still incredible. I'm still more for the blacks lol

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Cant get this beer down.. Great beer but very unique to other beers..

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

4 day old Growler brought back by TheSevenDuffs.

A - cloudy copper orange

S - Awesome. A lot of tropical fruits but mango really stands out, some pine notes.

T - Tropical fruit, passion fruit and mango stand out amongst the impressive salvo of fruit flavors, some pine. There is an impressive amount of hop flavour without being over powering and annihilating your palate for anything else you might eat/drink

M - This is the one of the most impressive things about the beer, very dry mouth feel. Lowish carbonation.

O - An amazing beer. Full of delicious hops, fantastic mouth feel. This is one of the best beers I have ever had the good fortune of having.

My favorite Double IPA to date. I've had all the Top ones other than King Sue and Society & Solitude #5.

4.7/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml growler into a Founders tulip. Thanks to Cam (UrbanCaver) for hooking me up!

APPEARANCE

Let's face it, IPAs almost always look sexy. This beer is no exception. It's a hazy orange juice color and sits under a rather large slightly off-white head. It had beautiful lacing throughout the (too short) drinking session. This is the kind of beer that would make even the most prude chap get all hot and bothered.

SMELL

This beer filled the room with hoppy goodness when I opened the flip top. Tons of Citra yumminess, which brings tropical fruits like pineapple, grapefruit, and mango. The Galaxy brings passion fruit and more citrus. There is a bit of a grape-like aroma as well. For being 8%, there's no alcohol to be found on the nose. This. Beer. Smells. Great.

TASTE

This is bonkers. It seriously tastes like a blend of freshly squeezed grapefruit and orange juice. I almost expect a little pulp while drinking this. There is a very good amount of tropical fruit character, like mango, a lot of pineapple, blood orange, etc. It's not as bitter as other IPAs I've had. Usually, when an IPA isn't bitter I get disappointed, but in this beer I don't miss it at all. It actually tastes less bitter than grapefruit juice while leaving all of the wonderful sweet fruit flavor. No alcohol to be found in this fella. The only negative thing I have to say about this beer is that there is the absolute SLIGHTEST dank/grassy flavor, but that's only because I drank my Haterade earlier. Overall, the Citra and Galazy are playing together so wonderfully in this beer you'd think they were soul mates.

MOUTHFEEL

Slightly under carbonated, which I can probably attribute to the 830+ mile trip that this beer had to undergo in the growler. That being said, this beer still has a wonderful mouthfeel. There's just enough residual sugar to keep this beer from going down exactly like water but is by NO means a struggle to drink. The body is medium-light, which is just about perfect for an IPA. There is a tiny bit of hop resin that lingers after the swallow, and it feels more like a grapefruit pith. Yum!

OVERALL

Hill Farmstead has been gaining a ton of respect lately, and beers like this are the reason for it. This is stupidly delicious and a triumph of brewing. I don't want to sit here and fan the flames of all the Hill Farmstead hype, but in my experience they totally deserve it. For me, the amazing thing about this beer is that it has the one thing that I don't like about Imperial IPAs - it's sweet, not bitter. I generally don't like IPAs unless they are tongue-splitting bitter. But this beer makes a fool out of me, and proves that you don't need an IPA that destroys your taste buds to be amazing. Whatever they are doing at Hill Farmstead they're doing right.

Cheers.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Enjoyed on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.

A - Familiar HF hazy, golden, orangeish-yellow, straw color with three finger head with great lacing and retention. Beautiful.

S - Sweet, hoppy, fruit juice with some mellow tropical mango, pineapple balanced with sharp grapefruit citrus. pretty amazing. Hint of malt, but that's it.

T - Wow! wonderful flavor profile. You get fresh, juicy hop notes from orange & grapefruit to pineapple, mango and even banana! I've never tasted a banana like note -- delicious! Really nice balance of bitterness and sweetness throughout with a lingering finish. There is a slight pale malt presence, but easily outshined by the glorious hop juice!

M - Incredibly drinkable, especially with a medium to full body. Very robust, bursting with flavor. Great carbonation. Alcohol well hidden. As each sip lingered on the palate, it left great anticipation for the next.

O - Delicious and most enjoyable. Having sampled many of HF's DIPAs, I have perhaps even unrealistic expectations when I taste a new one. This beer delivered. It's high on the top favorites list for me. I enjoyed #4 more than either Double Citra or Double Galaxy on their own. A world class beer. So drinkable, fresh and refreshing, you could enjoy outside on a summer day, lazily passing conversation, pour after pour. Yet so equally delicious and interesting, you could savor each sip as if it were the last. I feel this is where Mr. Hill solves the Double IPA equation. Achieving the perfect combination of wonderfully interesting, unique and delicate flavor profiles that are equally as approachable, inviting, and drinkable. Well done.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best DIPA I have ever had. Pure tropical deliciousness, so damn juicy. Would drink this every day if I could. Unseats S&S 6 as my favorite HF hop bomb. Need more.

Amazing beer, try it if you ever have the chance.

4.64/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Tasted on tap at Prohibition Pig. Bright and hazy. The aroma is mainly dank citra with earthy, floral, pungent undertones from the galaxy. Taste isn't overly complex with both featured hops dominating. Very drinkable, another good DIPA from Hill Farmstead.

4.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy, unfiltered, tropical, low carbonation and lacing. Delicious member of the S&S line.

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Farmmhouse in Burlington, VT. Amazing DIPA. Prevalent fresh delicious hops as always from Hill Farmstead.

One finger head on the pour. All sorts of fruit on the first sip with an extremely hoppy, resiny finish. Medium body and medium carbonation. Near perfect for a non Russian River DIPA ;)

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

Perfect summertime brew, pours a near clear orange gold with a white head that dissipates to the edges. Aroma has an outstanding combination of slightly sweet citrus with slightly bitter pine backed by grass. Flavor has citrus up front that transitions to grapefruit and pine with a hint of chive, backed by light grain. Love this one!

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I've heard a lot about Hill Farmstead and the beers that I've had from Hill Farmstead prior to this have been great to oh my god fantastic. I was in Vermont for the weekend and I have Everett, Edward, and Walden. While I though all were good, only Everett was amazing to me. Now, I barely got three growlers of HFS at the brewery because I overlooked the fact that they were cash only. Anyway, I got three smaller growlers and I'll review Susan and Abner when I have then.

I'm not going to do a full ASTMO review, but this beer was incredible. While a lot of IPAs get that citrus grapefruit-y flavor, #4 gets more of oranges. It's sweeter and tangier. It has some but not most of the sour quality of the more grape fruitier IPAs. It's got a little more of that creamy IPA goodness you'd get from an IPA that has more of that banana/guava goodness. Overall, Society and Solitude #4 will leave you wanting more because it is so damn good.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but this makes me feel grateful to be home and enjoy such a great beer..

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap at DeCicco's Brewster. Appearance is a hazy medium golden yellow with a puffy white head. Smell is not as strong as some other DIPAs at first but seems to be stronger after a taste, which is smooth and mellow without any alcohol aftertaste. Overall, another solid brew from Hill Farmstead. My only complaint is that I could not get a growler as they are not permitted to sell anything but in-store servings by the glass. Bummer. I see a road trip in the future to get growlers of HF beer at the brewery.

Society & Solitude #4 from Hill Farmstead Brewery