2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Society & Solitude #5 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Society & Solitude #5
No picture uploaded.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 09-23-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 448 | Reviews: 73 | Show All Ratings:
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.98/5  rDev +9.2%

Presentation: 2L growler filled at the brewery and sampled a little later. Kept chilled since it was filled and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very light in color, more yellow than orange, and pretty cloudy. Pours a really nice, three finger, pillowy white head with really solid retention.

Aroma: Huge pineapple, mango, grapefruit and other tropical fruit notes from the hops pack a pretty aggressive punch upfront. A really hoppy, agressive nose. Lots of tropical hop aromas without much bitterness. LIght malt backbone is barely noticable and really allows the hops to shine.

Taste: Big, sweet topical fruit notes of pineapple and mango upfront. Extremely juicy and fruity. Some citrus zest, particularly orange and tangerine, play nicely off some grapefruit and just a bit of hop bitterness. Slightly bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and nicely carbonated. Incredibly refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall, this is probably my favorite HF IPA. I had this side by side with Abner and I slightly preferred this. Incredibly juicy and fruity, with a great tropical hop profile. Refreshing, balanced and extremely tasty. I think this might be the single best IPA I've ever had.

11-24-2012 23:47:22 | More by Gosox8787
Number45forever

4.98/5  rDev +9.2%

This is my favorite beer of all time.

I was lucky enough to have it on draft a few times, and had a few different growlers of it as well.

Appearance: Like most HF IPAs, it glows orangey-yellow with a fluffy white head. Glorious.

Smell: Woah. Grapefruit, flowers, springtime, sweetness, CITRUS, lemons, oranges, clementines. All that is good and holy in this world. Zero bitterness, just magical.

Taste: See above, only better. This would get a 6.0 taste if you ask me. Explosion of grapefruity hops. Wave and wave. Dry finish...leaves you wanting more. Just superb. Citrus, freshness, perfection.

Mouthfeel: sublime. Fluffy, creamy, yet sharp and dry. Love.

Overall: I can't imagine how hoppy beers could be better than this. It's separated itself from an already crowded of pack of AMAZING Vermont IPAs. Awesome stuff.

I will be waiting patiently for this to be brewed again. If I could have one beer for the rest of my life, this is it. Moreso than Rare Bourbon County, any Cantillon, Heady Topper, whatever. Tried a ton of em, this is No. 1.

12-18-2012 19:33:35 | More by Number45forever
TRFD803

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Tasted on 1/4/14

Girlfriend and I walked into a small restaurant/wine bar named Sotto before our dinner at Trattoria Delia for a few before dinner drinks. Low and behold I see a single beer on tap and it's from Hill Farmstead. The bartender told me it was a DIPA and that I HAD to try it. My girlfriend took one sip and fell in love. We had 2 more glasses each.

A- A nice hazy yellow/orange color with minimal head.

S- Wow, did I just cut into a fresh grapefruit? One of the best smelling beers I've come across.

T- Absolutely amazing! Tons of tropical fruit notes, fresh grapefruit, citrus, truly a one of a kind taste.

M- Decent carbonation, not too bitter, definitely a beer you could enjoy multiples of.

O- Was pretty ecstatic to find this on tap in VT. This was one of the best beers I've ever had.

01-14-2014 05:17:24 | More by TRFD803
AnnArborJoe

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to baconsausage for the Hill Farmstead box. My first HF beer! 750mL swingtop growler poured into my new HF stemware.

A: Cloudy golden with beautiful white head and tons of lacing. I wouldn't have guessed this was a DIPA by the looks.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, citrus wonderfulness. I'm going to switch glasses after this one is empty so I can smell the empty glass after a bit. I have a feeling the residual beer will be fantastic for quite a while. One of the best smelling beers I've experienced.

T: Not a ton of bitterness, very dry and leaves you wanting more. Very low level of malt but not lacking. No alcohol presence. Tons of citrus, mainly grapefruit with a little lemon/orange/tangerine. Tastes more like an IPA in my opinion but is super delicious.

M: Light and creamy - perfect level of carbonation even after the shipping.

O: Fantastic beer. I could drink this forever. One of the top IPA/DIPAs I've ever had. Hard to compare to Heady/PtE because it seems more like an IPA but I can't get over how fantastic this beer is. The HF hype seems to be well deserved.

11-26-2012 22:02:55 | More by AnnArborJoe
alaimoa

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Can't ask for anything better in this beer. Perfect balance of hops, malt backbone and a grapefruity twang

Pours a medium golden with a bubbling head that dissapates quickly and leaves plenty of lacing behind

Smell sweet citrus (Grapefruit, orange peal and a bit of lemon)

Tastes bittersweet and hoppy with grapefruit shining through and a sweet almost caramel at the end. Not overly dry

Mouthfeel has a rolling bubble medium density and medium creaminess to it

07-26-2013 17:38:59 | More by alaimoa
cfrances33

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Growler thanks to juliusseizure. Filled 9/22/12, enjoyed 9/26/12. Poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pour: Completely hazy yellow-orange with a finger and a half of white soapy head. Head eventually recedes to film, and leaves solid lacing. Shaun Hill described this as "think grapefruit" - well this looks just like grapefruit juice.

Smell: Tangerine, mango, pineapple, and grapefruit explode from the glass. Malt? What malt. This beer is carbonated juice. This smelled perfect.

Taste: Tangerine and grapefruit BOMB. This beer is so juicy and fantastic. The citrus that bursts in your mouth every sip is incredible. A nice sweetness, but no substantial malt presence. I'm perfect with that.

Mouthfeel: This is so drinkable. Velvety carbonation, but the highlight of this beer is how the juiciness of the taste translates to the mouthfeel. Perfect again.

Overall: The best DIPA I've ever had.

09-26-2012 20:59:28 | More by cfrances33
woosterbill

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

On-tap at the Blackback Pub in Waterbury, served in a HF goblet. One of many. :)

A: Cloudy gold body beneath an inch of creamy eggshell head. Terrific retention, great lace. Lovely.

S: Dank weed, gigantic juicy grapefruit, and nothing else. Perfect.

T: All grapefruit here. Rich, juicy, bitter, amazing hops. Smooth, clean finish. Wow.

M: Medium body, creamy carbonation. Great.

O: One of the best beers I've ever had, and a serious rival to Heady Topper for the best DIPA I've ever tasted. If only Heady hadn't just kicked at Prohibition Pig, I would have gotten to try these head to head. Instead, I just had to settle for drinking several of these back to back. The horror. ;)

Cheers!

01-03-2013 02:19:18 | More by woosterbill
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Thank's so much to the awesome franklinn for this, along with many other VT treats. I should note that sadly, this growler is almost 4 weeks old. I just couldn't pick it up until now. It's almost completely filled to the top and has been kept very cold until now, when I poured it into my Bruery tulip.

Appearance. Pours a very hazy honey-gold with two fingers of thick white head that leaves some great bands behind.

Smell. The smell is absolutely massive as I pour this into the glass. Big piney, floral hops with a bunch of yellow grapefruit and other citrus fruits. There's also some great, lightly toasted malts backing those hops and just a faint hint of stinky socks ...hey, that's what I'm getting.

Taste. Sweet yellow and pink grapefruits with some bitter rinds. There's a little orange and lime present ans well along with some nice lightly toasted light grains. There's a bit of juicy sweetness but the finish is dry. Just an explosion of flavour with a good amount of bitterness. Really awesome stuff.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a medium amount of creamy, velvety smooth carbonation.

Overall. We have a winner here folks. The juicy grapefruit flavours along with that amazing creamy, yet still well carbonated mouthfeel is really something to behold. This has to be the best DIPA I've ever tasted, despite my early reviews of another being higher. I couldn't imagine this tasting any better despite the growler being filled several weeks ago.

12-16-2012 03:25:25 | More by Rutager
davey101

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks a ton Joe for the HF hook up! Pour from a 750ml growler into a tulip glass. This was filled October 2nd, 2012.

A - Pours a very cloudy and light yellow body. Never seen a DIPA so light, it almost looks like a murky berliner weisse or something. Massive white head forms with just an unreal amount of sticky lacing and retention. Looks perfect.

S - Mango and grapefruit juice. The smell is just so oily and juicy with a touch of dankness on the very end. One of the best hop aromas I have ever smelled. I typically lean towards grapefruit and tropical notes over the dank/resinous/piney beers so this is just right up my alley.

T - Bitter grapefruit and mango juice. Like drinking a glass of oily and super fresh citrus juice. The taste is just so perfect. Bitterness is intense but never overwhelming and the juicy citrus finishes dry and pleasantly. Again, perfect.

M - Medium bodied with light and prickly carbonation. Highly drinkable.

O - Heady? This just replaced that beer as my favorite DIPA. This is just too stupidly perfect. I could drink this every day and never lust after another beer.

11-04-2012 01:56:14 | More by davey101
cosmicevan

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Notes taken from 9/29 from the craziest bottle share that i have ever been a part of. Thanks so much to the NYC and Hoboken crew for letting me participate in this incredible day of drinking long time wants and insanity.

Thanks kindly to Josh(?) for sharing.

a - light soft straw yellow with foamy IPA head. swirling my glass brings things back to life.
s - perfection. really just and amazing smell. IPA dreams.
t - wow. crazy good. grapefruit, citrus, everything you look for in a well crafted IPA.
m - soft easy drinker. a bit on the thin side.
o - overall, one of the best IIPAs I've ever had. Hill Farmstead really doesn't make a bad beer.

12-06-2012 19:35:21 | More by cosmicevan
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From Notes:

Pours a murky orange with a full, foamy and bubbly dirty white head that fizzles after a long fight but leaves a persistent, liana-like lacing.

Unique aroma with orange rind, grapefruit, orange juice, sugar, malt, and beer bread.

Tastes of grapefruit juice, a squirt of orange and then some candy sweetness. Finishes off with a flowery, earthy undercurrent and lingering notes of spent grain.

Medium and fairly dry. One of the most perfectly balanced DIPA's (or any big beer for that matter) I've tasted. Alcohol heat is nonexistent.

This is a precise and focused DIPA that makes you think you accidentally grabbed the fruit juice out of the fridge, until you start to feel a very fine buzz. And I'm starting to feel a lot less crazy standing in line for over two hours after driving half the day through rain and snow and sleet to get some of this magic.

01-19-2014 23:48:55 | More by stephens101
80x2HopHead

4.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look is a dark and cloudy honey orange color that just radiates in the sunlight- fantastic. Smell is distinctly citrussy tropical with grapefruit, tangerine and mango coming to mind. I can pick up on a minimal amount of malty sweetness with few piney notes. Juicy citrus and tropical grapefruit, tangerine and mango explode on the pallet and remind me of what I think an ideal juicy citrus hop profile should taste like. Bitter pine is not up front for me, but does come through in the finish. I don't pick up on much malt here, but its just enough in the background to complement the hops yet not overwhelm or take anything away. I would say the finish holds a very mild bitterness to it that is somewhat toned by a creamy malt. Great creamy mouth feel that I have come to expect from HF- very drinkable. Overall its hard to beat this brew and I can personally think of very few that come close to the hop flavor profile! No question in my top 5 DIPA

09-16-2013 16:40:01 | More by 80x2HopHead
Hendry

4.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Swing top 750 ml growler filled yesterday, poured into a port glass. Classic cloudy yellow orange, unfiltered beauty,2 finger dense bone white head,carbonation difficult to see but spot on, tons of sticky lacing left behind.

Hop bomb aroma,very grapefruit rind dominated with some fresh pineapple juice in the mix, malts are completely in the background, very juicy nose, inviting.

Taste is right on time: Hill Farmstead has a knack for hop forward,small hand crafted batches that are the fancy of die hard hopheads. Tons of bitter grapefruit with a touch of pineapple, and an interesting yeast component. Alcohol is masterfully masked for 7.8% abv,dry bitter finish as one would expect.

Mouthfeel is medium, bitterness starts mid palate then steps to the rear where it hangs out for just the right amount of time. Slightly acidic character never interferes with the overall enjoyment or becomes overbearing.

Bright & bouncy hops flavors spank your palate like a fraternity paddle. HFS requires some effort to obtain (even for a Vermonter), yet the enjoyment factor is at the top of the scale
and comes highly recommended. The lines of excellence are becoming blurred amongst Society & Solitude #5,Double Citra, Ephraim, and Abner: well done Mr. H!

07-12-2013 03:36:08 | More by Hendry
BoldRulerVermont

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml Hill Farmstead growler into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.
Color is a hazy honey with a lacey white head 1.5 fingers high.
Smell is ridiculous. Citrus, especially lemon, crisp.
Taste is right in line with aromas. Delicious, refreshing citrus hops with very little bitterness.
Mouthfeel is lots of tiny tiny bubbles on my tongue, finishes clean.
Overall, flat out amazing douple IPA. Hides the ABV totally. Quenching, refreshing, delicious.

12-05-2013 13:10:20 | More by BoldRulerVermont
stonermouse

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap at HF, and then out of a growler the next day. Pour into a sample glass and into a standard pint.

Pours a fantastic, hazy yellow. Foamy, thin white head and great lacing. The head is dense, and looks like meringue, which foreshadows the lemony, grapefruit deliciousness to come.

The aroma is sweet, yet has a bit of a sharp pine bite to it. It's a bit mild, but does have just a slight booze presence as well.

The taste, however, has no booze whatsoever. This beer is just spectacular. It's lemon/pineapple/grapfruit profile truly mimics a holiday dessert, but the bitter finish reminds you that it's an potent IPA that you are consuming instead. There's just a touch of sweetness to bring out the flavors, but it's mostly a bitter bomb of pure citrus. The citrus combo is as clean as it is potent, however, and isn't harsh at all. Even the lingering bitterness just disappears from your palate, leaving you thirsting for more.

I tried my damndest to find a fault with this brew, but there really are none. It is dangerously drinkable, unbelievably quenching, and I would highly recommend sharing a growler with a few friends. It goes down quickly and easily.

10-31-2012 03:30:06 | More by stonermouse
justforrazors

Missouri

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Happy IPA day! I just got this in the mail today so I figured it would be a great time to drink up.
Poured into a HF becker glass.

A-Cloudy orange yellow color with a 2 finger fluffy white head. decent retention and amazing lacing.

S-Grapefruit, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, some grassy notes, and a feint bready character on the back end.

T- Huge hop aroma- more grapefruit and mango mixed with some grass and pine resin. This kind of tastes like Abner. There is a big bitter note mixed in with some caramel on the back end. No alcohol or other flaws that I can note. Very close to the perfect IPA in my opinion.

M- Carbonated to the perfect level. You can barely notice it, indicating it is right where it should be. Dry, but not overly so. The long bitter finish encourages you to keep drinking.

O- Amazing beer. I think this is my favorite of the society series, and maybe of all the HF IPAs and pales I have had so far. Amazing hop flavor and aroma that smacks you in the face but doesn't overtake the malt balance whatsoever. I could drink a 2L growler of this by myself in a night easily, despite the alcohol. Can't wait to get more if/when it comes around again.

08-02-2013 00:11:29 | More by justforrazors
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Looked like an extremely cloudy, vibrant color yellow, not dissimilar to many American wheats or hefeweizens. White head, looked distinct and respectable. Aroma was out of this world, heavenly luscious tropical fruit aromas, this is the creme de la creme of new proprietary hop aromas coming out, this ain't your daddies C hop bomb (nothing wrong with that though).

Taste is replete with solid citrus and tropical fruit bursts, very juicy, the bitterness is very doable, fruit stripe gum kind of pleasantness without all the coppery bitter bite of bandwagon jumper double ipa fools in recent years. A distinct amount of peach to it. Malt aspect of the beer is only enough to keep the hops running in ridiculous amounts of flavor punch. Its light. Pineapple and peach together at last, with all kinds of mango, lemon and tangerine thrown in to round out the hop mouthfeel. Yowza! Typical for Hill Farmstead, the alcohol is nowhere to be found tastewise, its just a massively enjoyable beer. Extremely dry finish, this is just one of many beers to seek out if you call yourself a hophead.

Massively awesome stuff.

01-20-2013 05:43:16 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Arbitrator

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Chilled growler into a glass. I'm getting lazy about reviewing, but after having this from 3 separate growlers (thanks Jason and Chris for 2 of those), I don't think I can make any excuses.

A: Looks like unfiltered peach juice capped with frothy, lacy off-white head. Again, my usual disclaimer about how "I like clarity but this is an exceptional beer so I will temporarily restrict my standards" applies.

S: Grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple. Some pale malt sweetness. Very strong, expressive aroma.

T: Grapefruit with lesser elements of pineapple and orange pulp. Bitterness is moderate in the mid-taste but nonexistent in the aftertaste. Pure citrus flavor throughout. There may be an element of sweetness during the taste, but the finish is dry, so I think that's just a mental trick from the fruitiness.

M: It's worth noting that when I was serving this at a tasting, I proudly asserted that this was "only 5.6%." I think that underscores how [scarily] drinkable this is; it drinks like something much, much lighter and can be deadly in larger quantities. This is remarkably clean and dry, with no lingering bitterness, no heaviness, no detectable ABV...

O: Hill Farmstead consistently churns out quality IPAs and DIPAs. This is no different. I prefer Abner to this one, but we're talking about incremental degrees of excellence at this point.

10-17-2012 18:38:29 | More by Arbitrator
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks Jason for the bottle!

Pours cloudy gold with a pillowy white head. As usual excellent retention and lacing.

Smells like fresh fruit juice. Loads of mango, pineapple and grapefruit.

Starts off with a little bitter floral flavor. Cracker malts in the middle before finishes with a huge grapefruit rind finish. Do yourself a favor and let this one warm up a bit. It's good cold out of the bottle, but the tropical fruit juices really come through more as it warms and the grapefruit is delectable tart.

Good light creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

Fantastic beer. Perhaps liked S&S #4 a bit more, but this is still delicious. About the only nitpick I have, is it took the beer a bit of temperature to hit its sweet spot. Absolutely love the grapefruit presence.

11-10-2012 19:10:22 | More by jmarsh123
kevanb

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler, poured into a Cantillon Mini Mug.

The beer pours a hazy apricot color, hues of orange and copper with a finger or so of soapy white head, that has good retention and leave a small amount of spotted lace behind. The aroma is lovely, lots of citrus, grapefruit, oranges and tangerine, light floral character with a nice amount of bitter pine and soft, doughy grain. This is definitely one of the more citrus forward DIPA's I've ever encountered and boy is it lovely. Lots of juicy grapefruit on the tongue, fresh apricot and peach flesh, bitter pine and light hop spice with some wildflower and light malt sweetness on the back end. The body is juicy and full, lower carbonation than anticipated but enough to be lively, the finish is crisp and has a great dry kick.

Verdict: Delightful. Citrusy, fruity, juicy and all around wonderful. It's bright, it's vibrant and just what I want from an IPA, one of the best showings of citrus in a hoppy beer I've had to date.

07-14-2013 05:07:17 | More by kevanb
jbaker67

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours vibrant, cloudy orange, white head rests like a creamy pillow on the surface, sticky lacing left behind. Aroma is juicy grapefruit and pineapple, mango, orange essence, with earthy, lightly spiced pine, dusty pale malts behind. Taste is more grapefruit-centric with hefty citrus, still a bit of pineapple flesh, caramel sweetness blended in and offset by rich piney bitterness. Medium body, very easy to drink with bright well-balanced flavors and no sticky resin character.

12-07-2013 12:16:08 | More by jbaker67
KingdomBobcat

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-cloudy orange yellow that pours a thin white head, that dissipates to a ring with some lacing
S-citrus, grapefruit, blood orange, yeastiness
T-fresh citrus hops on the palate, slight bitter aftertaste that's pleasing, some subtle yeastiness
M-almost mimosa-esque, some bubbles/bitterness to it, but mostly orange taste
O-a pretty solid DIPA, but not mindblowing

12-19-2013 23:33:37 | More by KingdomBobcat
Rheaume17

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head Spiegelau IPA glass.

A - A very light colored DIPA. Very bright with a bubbly white head.

S - Tons of citrus notes. Probably citra hops have a big part in this.

T - Excellent flavor. The citrus flavors match the smell. A perfect balance of bitterness and a mild malt background. Great hop presence. Flavors of orange, lemon and grapefruit.

M - Extremely smooth. So easy to drink. Perfect carbonation.

O - An excellent, refreshing DIPA. Definitely a different take on a DIPA than the ones I have had before. Definitely worth trying if you have the chance.

12-28-2013 14:42:48 | More by Rheaume17
BeRanger

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml Growler into my HF Tulip, #properglassware bitches.

A: Pours the typical yellow/orange color with a white rim - not a ton of head but a fair amount of lacing sticking to the glass throughout my drinking session.

S: Another lovely HF DIPA - plenty of tropical fruit, citrus, pineapple, orange... Small traces of pine/hop but I'd say this is pretty dominated by the tropical bouquet.

T: A lot like it smells however the lighter fruits really take it over, I feel like its a little more dominated by orange/mango versus your typical citrus bomb, its very delicious. The taste is very smooth, no harsh after-taste or lingering hop sensation.

M: Light bodied, mild carbonation

O: I feel like a broken record but another job well done - I love the fruit on this one and particularly like that I'm getting a lot more Orange on this one. Delicious beer!

08-10-2013 23:05:04 | More by BeRanger
4ster

Quebec (Canada)

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled into 750ml swing-top growler on July 26, 2013. Poured into a large tulip and paired with salmon.

A: Golden straw yellow, hazy, bright white frothy head.... lots of bubbles, nice lacing on the glass.

S: As others say, loads of citrus coming from this....grapefruit especially...orange, light on the lemon, some floral.... I don't find it that grassy/piney/bitter on the nose, but slightly sweet.

T: Silky smooth, lots of grapefruit, but more sweet juice and not so much pithy bitterness, also orange and light fruits, peaches, nectarines, lightly floral, maybe some melon. Not really acidic enough to be called so tropical and not so bitter to be piney....though has a nice mellow bitterness to it. Underneath it has a nice sweet, light malt base and only slight alcohol on the aftertaste when it warms.

M: Extremely balanced, less carbonated than it appears, hardly any sparkle, not really sticky, just slightly drying.

O: Another fine HF beer.... like most of their beers, they don't blow you away in their over the top-ness, but in their perfect balance and drink-ability.... This is a fantastic DIPA... will it blow your top off like Heady.... personal, I don't think so... like so many of S.Hill's other beers, it's not about being in your face. What it is, is a perfectly balanced, integrated, sweet, malty IPA that you could drink all night.... Where Heady really plays up the hops to like 150%, I don't think I could drink it all night, whereas this reins everything in to the point that it took no time whatsoever to polish off the 750 growler... I'd say this has a bit of a more toned down Abner feel to it... on an aside, I'd really like to see more HF beers being bottled, as I feel that the quality of the beer gets lost a bit on tap and if anything, the beers are almost cask like... not really flat, but not really sparkling... anyway, not really a complain, just a rumination...

08-02-2013 01:37:57 | More by 4ster