Society & Solitude #5 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Brad007 on 09-23-2012

3.99/5  rDev -12.9%

Pour is hazed golden yellow with an off white head. Nose is juicy, tropical fruit and citrus, a hint resiny and oily in back. Light grain profile up front and some malt sweetness to balance. Taste has more bitterness than I thought it would, lighter body and softer carbonation. The grain is soft up front, hop driven. Citrus, pine fades to a more leafy herbal note, a strong grapefruit bitterness lingers with a fairly dry finish.

4.41/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on-tap at the Prohibition Pig on 12/27/13, served in a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance: A pale and hazy orange/gold, with thick creamy head and thick creamy lacing.

Smell: Disappointingly weak. But what I do get is a lot of floral citrus and pine. Apricot comes through prominently too.

Taste: Lightly vinous, bitter, with creamy malts backing up piney hops. Believe it or not, I even got a prominent bubblegum flavor toward the end. Probably from all that yeast that made the beer so hazy. This was really delicious, and the vinous character made it somewhat distinct from the other IPAs I tried on my Vermont trip.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, with a moderate level of carbonation. The beer seemed to stay forever.

Overall: I should have written this when my memory of the beer was clearer, but I do remember this being delicious, even with the weak nose. Glad I got an opportunity to try it.

4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From Notes:

Pours a murky orange with a full, foamy and bubbly dirty white head that fizzles after a long fight but leaves a persistent, liana-like lacing.

Unique aroma with orange rind, grapefruit, orange juice, sugar, malt, and beer bread.

Tastes of grapefruit juice, a squirt of orange and then some candy sweetness. Finishes off with a flowery, earthy undercurrent and lingering notes of spent grain.

Medium and fairly dry. One of the most perfectly balanced DIPA's (or any big beer for that matter) I've tasted. Alcohol heat is nonexistent.

This is a precise and focused DIPA that makes you think you accidentally grabbed the fruit juice out of the fridge, until you start to feel a very fine buzz. And I'm starting to feel a lot less crazy standing in line for over two hours after driving half the day through rain and snow and sleet to get some of this magic.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Tasted on 1/4/14

Girlfriend and I walked into a small restaurant/wine bar named Sotto before our dinner at Trattoria Delia for a few before dinner drinks. Low and behold I see a single beer on tap and it's from Hill Farmstead. The bartender told me it was a DIPA and that I HAD to try it. My girlfriend took one sip and fell in love. We had 2 more glasses each.

A- A nice hazy yellow/orange color with minimal head.

S- Wow, did I just cut into a fresh grapefruit? One of the best smelling beers I've come across.

T- Absolutely amazing! Tons of tropical fruit notes, fresh grapefruit, citrus, truly a one of a kind taste.

M- Decent carbonation, not too bitter, definitely a beer you could enjoy multiples of.

O- Was pretty ecstatic to find this on tap in VT. This was one of the best beers I've ever had.

Society & Solitude #5 from Hill Farmstead Brewery