Society & Solitude #5 - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Brad007 on 09-23-2012

Our experimental Double IPA series continues.

Imperial IPA. American and New Zealand hops. Think Grapefruit.
Ratings: 956 | Reviews: 114

I think grapefruit when tasting this.

Poured from a 22. Extremely bright yellow (2-3 SRM), hazy. Well but not overly carbonated. Reeks of tropical fruits and pungent hops. Tastes like a funky hop/pineapple creamsicle. Mouthfeel is unbelievably dense and chewy despite it's extreme drinkability. Hops linger on the tongue for what seems like forever. Wow! This might be the best DIPA I've ever had. Highly recommended.

Just drank some moments ago and love it, amazing IIPA... Highly recommended!

Peach juice, splash of mango. A little pineapple on the nose. Delicious.

Sha-Bam!! Much better than Susan which I am nuts about. The depth of hops in the middle has me mesmerized. Growler fills 6/13/15

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

This is my favorite beer of all time.

I was lucky enough to have it on draft a few times, and had a few different growlers of it as well.

Appearance: Like most HF IPAs, it glows orangey-yellow with a fluffy white head. Glorious.

Smell: Woah. Grapefruit, flowers, springtime, sweetness, CITRUS, lemons, oranges, clementines. All that is good and holy in this world. Zero bitterness, just magical.

Taste: See above, only better. This would get a 6.0 taste if you ask me. Explosion of grapefruity hops. Wave and wave. Dry finish...leaves you wanting more. Just superb. Citrus, freshness, perfection.

Mouthfeel: sublime. Fluffy, creamy, yet sharp and dry. Love.

Overall: I can't imagine how hoppy beers could be better than this. It's separated itself from an already crowded of pack of AMAZING Vermont IPAs. Awesome stuff.

I will be waiting patiently for this to be brewed again. If I could have one beer for the rest of my life, this is it. Moreso than Rare Bourbon County, any Cantillon, Heady Topper, whatever. Tried a ton of em, this is No. 1.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Presentation: 2L growler filled at the brewery and sampled a little later. Kept chilled since it was filled and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very light in color, more yellow than orange, and pretty cloudy. Pours a really nice, three finger, pillowy white head with really solid retention.

Aroma: Huge pineapple, mango, grapefruit and other tropical fruit notes from the hops pack a pretty aggressive punch upfront. A really hoppy, agressive nose. Lots of tropical hop aromas without much bitterness. LIght malt backbone is barely noticable and really allows the hops to shine.

Taste: Big, sweet topical fruit notes of pineapple and mango upfront. Extremely juicy and fruity. Some citrus zest, particularly orange and tangerine, play nicely off some grapefruit and just a bit of hop bitterness. Slightly bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and nicely carbonated. Incredibly refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall, this is probably my favorite HF IPA. I had this side by side with Abner and I slightly preferred this. Incredibly juicy and fruity, with a great tropical hop profile. Refreshing, balanced and extremely tasty. I think this might be the single best IPA I've ever had.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Tasted on 1/4/14

Girlfriend and I walked into a small restaurant/wine bar named Sotto before our dinner at Trattoria Delia for a few before dinner drinks. Low and behold I see a single beer on tap and it's from Hill Farmstead. The bartender told me it was a DIPA and that I HAD to try it. My girlfriend took one sip and fell in love. We had 2 more glasses each.

A- A nice hazy yellow/orange color with minimal head.

S- Wow, did I just cut into a fresh grapefruit? One of the best smelling beers I've come across.

T- Absolutely amazing! Tons of tropical fruit notes, fresh grapefruit, citrus, truly a one of a kind taste.

M- Decent carbonation, not too bitter, definitely a beer you could enjoy multiples of.

O- Was pretty ecstatic to find this on tap in VT. This was one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to baconsausage for the Hill Farmstead box. My first HF beer! 750mL swingtop growler poured into my new HF stemware.

A: Cloudy golden with beautiful white head and tons of lacing. I wouldn't have guessed this was a DIPA by the looks.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, citrus wonderfulness. I'm going to switch glasses after this one is empty so I can smell the empty glass after a bit. I have a feeling the residual beer will be fantastic for quite a while. One of the best smelling beers I've experienced.

T: Not a ton of bitterness, very dry and leaves you wanting more. Very low level of malt but not lacking. No alcohol presence. Tons of citrus, mainly grapefruit with a little lemon/orange/tangerine. Tastes more like an IPA in my opinion but is super delicious.

M: Light and creamy - perfect level of carbonation even after the shipping.

O: Fantastic beer. I could drink this forever. One of the top IPA/DIPAs I've ever had. Hard to compare to Heady/PtE because it seems more like an IPA but I can't get over how fantastic this beer is. The HF hype seems to be well deserved.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Can't ask for anything better in this beer. Perfect balance of hops, malt backbone and a grapefruity twang

Pours a medium golden with a bubbling head that dissapates quickly and leaves plenty of lacing behind

Smell sweet citrus (Grapefruit, orange peal and a bit of lemon)

Tastes bittersweet and hoppy with grapefruit shining through and a sweet almost caramel at the end. Not overly dry

Mouthfeel has a rolling bubble medium density and medium creaminess to it

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Growler thanks to juliusseizure. Filled 9/22/12, enjoyed 9/26/12. Poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pour: Completely hazy yellow-orange with a finger and a half of white soapy head. Head eventually recedes to film, and leaves solid lacing. Shaun Hill described this as "think grapefruit" - well this looks just like grapefruit juice.

Smell: Tangerine, mango, pineapple, and grapefruit explode from the glass. Malt? What malt. This beer is carbonated juice. This smelled perfect.

Taste: Tangerine and grapefruit BOMB. This beer is so juicy and fantastic. The citrus that bursts in your mouth every sip is incredible. A nice sweetness, but no substantial malt presence. I'm perfect with that.

Mouthfeel: This is so drinkable. Velvety carbonation, but the highlight of this beer is how the juiciness of the taste translates to the mouthfeel. Perfect again.

Overall: The best DIPA I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

On-tap at the Blackback Pub in Waterbury, served in a HF goblet. One of many. :)

A: Cloudy gold body beneath an inch of creamy eggshell head. Terrific retention, great lace. Lovely.

S: Dank weed, gigantic juicy grapefruit, and nothing else. Perfect.

T: All grapefruit here. Rich, juicy, bitter, amazing hops. Smooth, clean finish. Wow.

M: Medium body, creamy carbonation. Great.

O: One of the best beers I've ever had, and a serious rival to Heady Topper for the best DIPA I've ever tasted. If only Heady hadn't just kicked at Prohibition Pig, I would have gotten to try these head to head. Instead, I just had to settle for drinking several of these back to back. The horror. ;)

Cheers!

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One smell, one sip, one taste...you know your playing with the big boys now. Only a select few can touch this on the East Coast.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Thank's so much to the awesome franklinn for this, along with many other VT treats. I should note that sadly, this growler is almost 4 weeks old. I just couldn't pick it up until now. It's almost completely filled to the top and has been kept very cold until now, when I poured it into my Bruery tulip.

Appearance. Pours a very hazy honey-gold with two fingers of thick white head that leaves some great bands behind.

Smell. The smell is absolutely massive as I pour this into the glass. Big piney, floral hops with a bunch of yellow grapefruit and other citrus fruits. There's also some great, lightly toasted malts backing those hops and just a faint hint of stinky socks ...hey, that's what I'm getting.

Taste. Sweet yellow and pink grapefruits with some bitter rinds. There's a little orange and lime present ans well along with some nice lightly toasted light grains. There's a bit of juicy sweetness but the finish is dry. Just an explosion of flavour with a good amount of bitterness. Really awesome stuff.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a medium amount of creamy, velvety smooth carbonation.

Overall. We have a winner here folks. The juicy grapefruit flavours along with that amazing creamy, yet still well carbonated mouthfeel is really something to behold. This has to be the best DIPA I've ever tasted, despite my early reviews of another being higher. I couldn't imagine this tasting any better despite the growler being filled several weeks ago.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks a ton Joe for the HF hook up! Pour from a 750ml growler into a tulip glass. This was filled October 2nd, 2012.

A - Pours a very cloudy and light yellow body. Never seen a DIPA so light, it almost looks like a murky berliner weisse or something. Massive white head forms with just an unreal amount of sticky lacing and retention. Looks perfect.

S - Mango and grapefruit juice. The smell is just so oily and juicy with a touch of dankness on the very end. One of the best hop aromas I have ever smelled. I typically lean towards grapefruit and tropical notes over the dank/resinous/piney beers so this is just right up my alley.

T - Bitter grapefruit and mango juice. Like drinking a glass of oily and super fresh citrus juice. The taste is just so perfect. Bitterness is intense but never overwhelming and the juicy citrus finishes dry and pleasantly. Again, perfect.

M - Medium bodied with light and prickly carbonation. Highly drinkable.

O - Heady? This just replaced that beer as my favorite DIPA. This is just too stupidly perfect. I could drink this every day and never lust after another beer.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

Notes taken from 9/29 from the craziest bottle share that i have ever been a part of. Thanks so much to the NYC and Hoboken crew for letting me participate in this incredible day of drinking long time wants and insanity.

Thanks kindly to Josh(?) for sharing.

a - light soft straw yellow with foamy IPA head. swirling my glass brings things back to life.
s - perfection. really just and amazing smell. IPA dreams.
t - wow. crazy good. grapefruit, citrus, everything you look for in a well crafted IPA.
m - soft easy drinker. a bit on the thin side.
o - overall, one of the best IIPAs I've ever had. Hill Farmstead really doesn't make a bad beer.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy bright yellow/gold. Small bubbly head. Great looking ipa. The aroma on this is just great. Super tropical and juicy. Couldn't ask for much more in the aroma. The taste is slightly sweet upfront. Really fruity with only a bit of bitterness on the end. Pineapple, mango, orange, lemon, pine. Really great Balance of flavors. The mouthfeel is spot on, too. Medium with a nice amount of carbonation. Coats the tongue with hoppy goodness and is slightly sticky. Maybe even better than what I remember having back around thanksgiving. So drinkable with a ton of flavor.

4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From Notes:

Pours a murky orange with a full, foamy and bubbly dirty white head that fizzles after a long fight but leaves a persistent, liana-like lacing.

Unique aroma with orange rind, grapefruit, orange juice, sugar, malt, and beer bread.

Tastes of grapefruit juice, a squirt of orange and then some candy sweetness. Finishes off with a flowery, earthy undercurrent and lingering notes of spent grain.

Medium and fairly dry. One of the most perfectly balanced DIPA's (or any big beer for that matter) I've tasted. Alcohol heat is nonexistent.

This is a precise and focused DIPA that makes you think you accidentally grabbed the fruit juice out of the fridge, until you start to feel a very fine buzz. And I'm starting to feel a lot less crazy standing in line for over two hours after driving half the day through rain and snow and sleet to get some of this magic.

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this beer fresh and was amazing

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Growler shared with stillmatic2232, thanks man!

Pours a brilliant glowing golden orange, with a half inch head, and a good amount of sticky foamy lacing down the glass.

Smells like orange, grapefruit, a small amount of pine, and pineapple.

This one is so smooth I could die. Not bitter at all, just loads of fresh fruity hop flavor. Lots of citrus- grapefruit, orange, some lemon, a little bit of pineapple, and a tiny bit pine that doesn't add any bitterness.

Medium bodied, smooth, crisp mouthfeel, just an unbelievable mouthfeel, as is expected with Hill Farmstead IPAs. Goes down so easily. Medium pleasant carbonation.

Need I say more? Hill Farmstead strikes again. This was awesome!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look is a dark and cloudy honey orange color that just radiates in the sunlight- fantastic. Smell is distinctly citrussy tropical with grapefruit, tangerine and mango coming to mind. I can pick up on a minimal amount of malty sweetness with few piney notes. Juicy citrus and tropical grapefruit, tangerine and mango explode on the pallet and remind me of what I think an ideal juicy citrus hop profile should taste like. Bitter pine is not up front for me, but does come through in the finish. I don't pick up on much malt here, but its just enough in the background to complement the hops yet not overwhelm or take anything away. I would say the finish holds a very mild bitterness to it that is somewhat toned by a creamy malt. Great creamy mouth feel that I have come to expect from HF- very drinkable. Overall its hard to beat this brew and I can personally think of very few that come close to the hop flavor profile! No question in my top 5 DIPA

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Swing top 750 ml growler filled yesterday, poured into a port glass. Classic cloudy yellow orange, unfiltered beauty,2 finger dense bone white head,carbonation difficult to see but spot on, tons of sticky lacing left behind.

Hop bomb aroma,very grapefruit rind dominated with some fresh pineapple juice in the mix, malts are completely in the background, very juicy nose, inviting.

Taste is right on time: Hill Farmstead has a knack for hop forward,small hand crafted batches that are the fancy of die hard hopheads. Tons of bitter grapefruit with a touch of pineapple, and an interesting yeast component. Alcohol is masterfully masked for 7.8% abv,dry bitter finish as one would expect.

Mouthfeel is medium, bitterness starts mid palate then steps to the rear where it hangs out for just the right amount of time. Slightly acidic character never interferes with the overall enjoyment or becomes overbearing.

Bright & bouncy hops flavors spank your palate like a fraternity paddle. HFS requires some effort to obtain (even for a Vermonter), yet the enjoyment factor is at the top of the scale
and comes highly recommended. The lines of excellence are becoming blurred amongst Society & Solitude #5,Double Citra, Ephraim, and Abner: well done Mr. H!

4.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growler from the brewery. Pours cloudy yellow with a big creamy white head that just sticks all over the glass. Aroma of grapefruits, pineapples, mangoes, some pine and grass, really nice. Flavor is off the hook. Lots of bitterness here, but it gets your palate ready for the sweet pineapple and mango, along with lots of citrus fruits, and then a final kick of bitter dry pine. Finishes clean as can be (no surprise there for HF). Body is relatively light for a DIPA, but creamy with nice sweet malt backing. Goes down way too easy. This is fantastic.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer comes in a hazy bright golden color.

The aroma jumps out of grapefruit, citrus peel, and lots of green grassiness.

The flavor follows with that tropical flavor in the front, grapefruit throughout, a hint of bready sweetness, and then onto a signature Galaxy grassiness and almost aspirin astringency. The beer is slightly dominated on the back end by bitterness.

Clearly still world class beer, but I prefer Abner and Societe and Solitude # 6.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

From a bottle had at the brewery last week.

A: It's a DIPA, they almost all look the same: hazy yellow/light golden color with pure white head, lots of frothy volume, good lacing and retention.

S: Apparently this one has New Zealand hops, and all of the beers I had with hops from there had a lychee or gooseberry like aroma to them. This one follows the rule. There is a ton of lychee and sweet grapefruit coming out of this one with even a tiny bit of green grape. The malt is almost indistinguishable.

T: Right off the bat you get attacked by a strong bite of grapefruit rind kind of bitterness. Then, there is a strong wave of juicy sweet lychee, red grapefruit, gooseberry, green grapes and lime juice. Pale malts are there but wayy wayy back.

M: Super light and fluffy with minimal stickiness, perfect.

O: To me, this is better than Abner and puts it on the same level as Double Sunshine. Great great beer and a bit of an exotic twist on the style. Love it!

Society & Solitude #5 from Hill Farmstead Brewery