Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Susan | Hill Farmstead Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American IPA

American IPA brewed with our favorite hops. Hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Riwaka.

Added by MasterSki on 10-25-2012

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 1,530
Reviews by tpmurray:
4.67/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow...after reading all the Vermont hype I journeyed up from CT last week to see what all the fuss was about. This was my 200th "tour" of a brewery and may have been my favorite. You must go just to have the privilege of driving up the dirt roads in the middle of nowwherseville and waiting in line while they bring you 4 generous samples off the taps for $5...I thought heaven would require more effort to get to.

One of my four was Susan which blew my mind so became one of my growler picks. The scene is very cool there...a group in front of me from Jersey on their second trip through line...a couple behind me from Georgia and NY...a guy in the parking lot from Rhode Island. This is not an easy ride - these folks all travelled several hours just to fill some growlers that the bottle tag says should be consumed within a week and all had been there before. Once you taste it, you will know why - Susan is the best beer I have ever tasted. My rating here is based on the 750ml growler and I'm now trying to figure out how I get back up there without being late for Thanksgiving dinner.

The citrus from the NZ hops is so delicious and unlike a lot of bigger IPA's, the alcohol is absent. Phenomenal...I need to learn how they brew something this good

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy orange body, short white head, and extensive lacing.

S - Huge orange and grapefruit nose, citrus hop esters galore, along with big pine complements. If juicy IPAs are your thing, this is exactly how you want your IPA to smell. As it warms, some of the Citra and Simcoe dankness comes forward, but it is never off-putting.

T - The nose, but more restrained, with a more subtle juice element pairing with definite resin and pine elements. The middle introduces the malt backbone. Most IPAs that deliver huge hop fronts close superbly bitter, but while there is a definite bitter turn, here it is more balanced, keeping the fruitiness and bright notes throughout. Which is one neat trick.

M - Very bright and carbonated. The close has some subtle drying, but nothing out of character for an IPA.

O - This straight ahead IPA is big and fun, delicious and bright. Susan is a top notch IPA, and it is a testament to the careful craft of this beer that it manages it all without falling for any of the major traps that trip up even the better brewers working with these hops and profiles.

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my Lawson's snifter.

A: Hazy, orange/golden color with a nice white head. Looks creamy.
S: Wonderful citrus/tropical smells with a hint of grassiness at the end.
T: Taste is not as intense as the smell. Amazing citrus(grapefruit) and mango taste. A little floral too.
M: Medium bodied with little carbonation. Creamy/oily mouthfeel.
O: Another home run from Hill Farmstead! Delicious hop profile.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I've had a lot of Susan in my life, not as much as I've had of Abner though. They were both on tap when I went to the brewery and, perhaps due to me being from the West Coast and it's bit more a stark contrast to what I can get there, Abner is what filled most of my growlers with.

I got more than a couple of Susan though, and that's the beer that has really stuck with me. I can still almost taste the Abner (it's been almost half a year), but Susan is the beer that will have me making the trek back to Vermont.

It's exceptional.