Susan - Hill Farmstead Brewery

pDev: 6%
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-25-2012

American IPA brewed with our favorite hops. Hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Riwaka.
Reviews: 124 | Hads: 1,214
Reviews by tpmurray:
4.67/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow...after reading all the Vermont hype I journeyed up from CT last week to see what all the fuss was about. This was my 200th "tour" of a brewery and may have been my favorite. You must go just to have the privilege of driving up the dirt roads in the middle of nowwherseville and waiting in line while they bring you 4 generous samples off the taps for $5...I thought heaven would require more effort to get to.

One of my four was Susan which blew my mind so became one of my growler picks. The scene is very cool there...a group in front of me from Jersey on their second trip through line...a couple behind me from Georgia and NY...a guy in the parking lot from Rhode Island. This is not an easy ride - these folks all travelled several hours just to fill some growlers that the bottle tag says should be consumed within a week and all had been there before. Once you taste it, you will know why - Susan is the best beer I have ever tasted. My rating here is based on the 750ml growler and I'm now trying to figure out how I get back up there without being late for Thanksgiving dinner.

The citrus from the NZ hops is so delicious and unlike a lot of bigger IPA's, the alcohol is absent. Phenomenal...I need to learn how they brew something this good (1,258 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my Lawson's snifter.

A: Hazy, orange/golden color with a nice white head. Looks creamy.
S: Wonderful citrus/tropical smells with a hint of grassiness at the end.
T: Taste is not as intense as the smell. Amazing citrus(grapefruit) and mango taste. A little floral too.
M: Medium bodied with little carbonation. Creamy/oily mouthfeel.
O: Another home run from Hill Farmstead! Delicious hop profile. (428 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

I've had a lot of Susan in my life, not as much as I've had of Abner though. They were both on tap when I went to the brewery and, perhaps due to me being from the West Coast and it's bit more a stark contrast to what I can get there, Abner is what filled most of my growlers with.

I got more than a couple of Susan though, and that's the beer that has really stuck with me. I can still almost taste the Abner (it's been almost half a year), but Susan is the beer that will have me making the trek back to Vermont.

It's exceptional. (534 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Growler

Thanks so much for sending this to me, baconsausage!

Cloudy, hazy, murky dark orange, but nearly a light brown because of all the residual sediment. This leaves the glass very messy with sheets of sticky irregular lacing all the way down. Gorgeous IPA, and unique in it's incredible lack of clarity. Is that due to a wheat addition?

Stinging citrus notes abound in this IPA--lots of grapefruit flesh and zest, juicy orange and mango, and a bit of pine sap. There's a touch of a sweet malt character underlying the fruit, but this is simply, yet outrageously citrus-forward.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with huge amounts of grapefruit and pineapple making up the abundance of the flavors' notes, along with an assertive, yet complementary earthy bitterness that lingers on the back end. Extraordinary.

Medium bodied with moderate to high, yet slightly creamy, carbonation. Marvelously drinkable.

An exceptional IPA. In the upper echelon of IPAs and my favorite from Hill Farmstead. (1,002 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%