1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Susan - Hill Farmstead Brewery

SusanSusan

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American IPA brewed with our favorite hops. Hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Riwaka.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-25-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 621 | Reviews: 89 | Show All Ratings:
Gatch

Armsby Abbey for Zwanze Day.

Finishing the day with this after several sours. Another huuuugely fragrant and flavorful IPA from the talented brewers at HF. Beautiful, cloudy, golden color with a massive frothy, sticky, white head with tons of lace and pillows of foam lingering on top. Explosion of floral and fruity hops. NZ hops are unique so the Riwaka stand out but all three are easily discernible. Glad I got to try a beer with the elusive Riwaka. Sticky resin, pine, cedar, earth, wood, a few varieties of citrus...very complex but all hops at the same time. Like all of their beers it's way too smooth and easy to drink. Seriously. Such a creamy, full body. Every mouthful brings a smile. The flavors are so big and the hops are so intense. This beer is transcendent. I can't believe it's this good. I'm sorry, but I'm giving it a 5!

12-01-2012 21:48:30 | More by Gatch
dar482

The beer comes in a cloudy golden orange color.

The aroma is just rolls of tangerine, bright grapefruit, tropical fruits and mango. It's hugely vibrant and citrusy.. There's a bit of malt in there.

The flavor is just an explosion of grapefruit and hop juice. The combines a bit of tangerine, but really hits of sweet grapefruit and rolls calmly throughout. There's a bit of peachy sweetness and tropical on the flavor along with some light crackery malt. The finish is again of grapefruit and a bit of pith and bitterness. It's extremely smooth and so well crafted.

This beer really blows my mind about how well crafted an IPA can be. The hops just do not stop on this one.

10-09-2013 02:22:45 | More by dar482
BTVflatlander

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

Reviewed from notes from two growler fills from 8/8 and 8/9. Made the drive to Hill from Burlington, Vt. two days in a row and waited 2 hours and 3 hours respectively for Susan. Served in a Citizen Cider snifter.

A: Very hazy orange, very pleasant.

S: Hoppy citrus beaming out of the glass. Extremely inviting, this is the kind of aroma that makes you excited to taste.

T: Susan's taste is, to me, absolutely spot on. The citrus hops, specifically mango and tangerine for me, hit you immediately and last throughout the tasting. The alcohol is present, yet not overbearing. It's not JUST hoppy either, it's a hell of a robust beer.

M: Thick, carbonated, and perfect.

O: As a quasi-local, I've had my share of Hill's beers over the past few years. And, while I would never discount Shaun Hill's ability to make absolutely world-class beers, I had never quite fell in love with any of the things I had tried. Edward is fantastic, sure, but I could never bring myself to drive all the way to the Northeast Kingdom for a growler of Ed. Susan changed that. To me, Susan is THE perfect IPA. The balance is there, the tropical citrus is there, and the drinkability and refreshment is there. Susan is the epitome of Hill's skill, in my opinion. I fell in love with Susan so madly that I had to return the very next day and wait for over 3 hours for another 2 Liters of this, in my opinion, perfect Vermont single IPA. If you find yourself fortunate enough to find Susan anywhere, you'd be a fool not to give her a try. This my personal pick for the "best beer I've ever had."

08-13-2013 21:47:40 | More by BTVflatlander
omniscientcause

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 750 ML swing top into an oversized wine glass...maybe a brandy glass?

A- Great goldish and orangeish color. Pretty solid fluffy white head

S- Smell is amazing, citrus, floral hops, one of the best smells for a single IPA. Definitely top tier IPA without a doubt. Smell is similar to that of sculpin, maine beer co lunch or RR Blind Pig.

T- Taste is perfect, very herbal and citrusy, but great IPA notes, great balance of hops and malt, perfectly balanced and very refreshing.

M- Smooth mouthfeel, very full and not lacking anything.

O- The best single IPA I think I have had to date. Very fresh and I the drinkability is amazing.

11-23-2012 15:54:58 | More by omniscientcause
LarryK

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Was fortunate enough to have Susan back when it debuted in NYC at at the Blind Tiger last November, along with a handful of other HF rarities. The scene was absolute chaos, with the entire place packed floor-to-ceiling and people ordering as many as four 12-ounce pours at a time for themselves; I’ve never seen anything quite like it. I was fortunate enough to score a seat at the bar about 10 minutes before keg-tapping, and got my hands on one of the first pours of Susan ever in Manhattan. Glad I got it when I did, because the sixtel kicked in 30 minutes.

Bursting with all of the wonderful citrus flavor and aroma of many of my favorite IPAs, I quickly realized what Susan reminded me of more than anything else — Zombie Dust. Citra is the star of the Susan show, but it’s also a showcase for Riwaka and Simcoe. To date, Susan is one of the few beers I’ve had that has given Zombie Dust a true run for its money. Absolutely one of the finest IPAs I've ever drank.

11-19-2012 16:30:50 | More by LarryK
AnnArborJoe

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

750 mL growler courtesy of baconsausage!

A: Hazy straw yellow, decent head, spotty lacing.

S: Grapefruit and citrus - lots of it. One of the best smelling IPAs I've had. Citra hops jump out of the glass.

T: Tropical fruit, orange, grapefruit, lingers on the palate in a very good way. Each drink kept me coming back for more.

M: Slightly less carbonation than I would have liked. Medium bodied, dry, crisp, beautiful.

O: Wonderful beer. I wish I would have had side-by-side with S&S5 for comparison sake. I could drink this forever and be happy.

12-05-2012 21:04:43 | More by AnnArborJoe
lovindahops

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

HF Susan, my first growler from our trip to the brewery yesterday. I am excited to try the application of New Zealond hops in this

A- Susan pours a gorgeous mango orange fill with highly anticipate hazy color. A creamy white head of foam rises only to slowly subside leaving lacing everywhere. It's a sticky as possible it can be towards the edges

S- A plethora of citrus and tropical fruit tones burst out of the glass. Some sweet malt is present along with a pepper like presence. Susan is very lively and floral and that is exactly how I like ipas. Even a slight pine scent at the end just to round it off

T- an onslaught of tropical fruit, pineapple, and lemon zest wax my taste buds in the form of a green mountain avalanche. While the hoppiness is out of this world, a sweet malt undertone coates the palate with some of the aforementioned pepper tone. This is the real deal for an India pale ales taste profile. Hoppy as can be with emphasis on citrus and bitter characteristics as well

M- carbonation, smoothness, coating flavor that has the perfect feel. Sticky on the palate and delicious aftertaste

O- so it is now a fact for me. For ipas only, Susan passes Flower power as the best ipa I have ever had. The riwaka hops combined with simcoe and citra (and topped off with shaun's brewing style) created a citric hop bomb of mouth watering flavor. I really enjoyed this and wish I had easier access to it

12-30-2012 19:21:59 | More by lovindahops
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

750 growler thanks to Tommy, two and a half week old. Huge pop at the opening, this one was nicely sealed. Intencing danky aroma of onion and weed, some citrus and leaf. This feels like the small cousin of Abner, less powerful but more drinkable. My favourite IPA.

01-22-2013 00:38:57 | More by Luk13
BoldRulerVermont

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed this from a 2L Hill Farmstead growler poured into a Hill Farmstead large wine glass.
Appearence is a medium amber, hazy liquid with very nice head, very nice lacing, good lacing retention.
Aromas are deep and strong. Sweetness, tropical fruit, only a hint of floral, mild bready malts in the far background.
Taste is perfect. Absolutely delicious, mouth begging for more sips. Coats your mouth with tropical fruit, tiny bubbles, some stickiness but not too sweet.
Finishes very nice with mild bitterness in the aftertaste.
Overall, another disturbingly terrific beer from Shaun. Susan rivals Double Sunshine IMO.

12-07-2013 21:05:13 | More by BoldRulerVermont
unclejazz

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Had on tap at Queens Kickshaw in Astoria. 12oz pour into tulip.

A-this is a magnificent beer to behold. Glad I am enjoying it in the day so I can see its vibrant copper color beautiful fluffy 1/2" head and beautiful lacing and consistent visible micro-carbonation. This a like a Van Gogh or Matisse, gorgeous.

S-Hints of orange and grapefruit with a backbone of piney resin. Kind of like an Ephraim-lite.

T-wonderful citrus burst, best example of grapefruit I have had in a perfect way. There is a pine based with mango and pineapple all over the place.

M-my mouth was watering thru the entire experience. Beautiful bit of tingle on the tongue, great level of carbonation, and reminiscent of OJ with a bit of pulp. Quite pleasing.

O-I love White Raja and really enjoy Fat Head and Flower Power, Blind Pig, and Zombie Dust. With that all said, this brew killed it in a way that none of those beers was able to. The best part is that the flavor lingers in the back of your throat. I would love to have regular access to this beauty.

01-02-2013 18:06:00 | More by unclejazz
FFreak

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Reservoir in Waterbury, VT. Brought out in tulip glass.

This is a wonderfully soft and drinkable pale ale. It's a hazy golden pale yellow with a tight, pure white head. Nice hoppy aroma, mostly tropical in nature, with some citrus. The taste is just perfect...no harshness or bitterness to speak of. Excellent moutfeel. Good to the last drop. I could drink this all day.

03-17-2014 17:43:06 | More by FFreak
BrewedEgo

Connecticut

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sublimely wonderful IPA

Poured from growler into pint glass. 1/4" head dissipates within a minute. Color is a unfiltered pale straw-amber. Thank you to breweries who have stopped filtering out the deliciousness.

Swirling the glass and shoving nose in glass reveals grapefruits and apricots and tremendous sweetness, straw and something papaya-like. Doh. Just splashed myself in the face.

Rolling around a big swig over the tongue and bringing in air over the tongue for about fifteen seconds: Flavor is tremendously well-balanced, some initial sweetness, passionfruit, and papaya, but not sugary, ever-so-slight bitterness, after-taste is floral and complex. Fruit flavors are quite bright, definite beyond the basic grapefruit tastes in the standard IPA.

Just can't get over how delicious, balanced, and sublime this is. Hits all the pleasure centers in my brain. And my descriptions just aren't doing this beer justice. Sorry, fellas. Wish this was available everywhere.

I'd move to Greensborough just to be able to drink this on a regular basis.

10-19-2013 22:43:19 | More by BrewedEgo
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growler purchased 6/28 and consumed 7/5.

A - Cloudy golden orange with one finger of cream coloured head.

S - Juicy citrus and tropical fruit aromas - grapefruit, orange rind, peach and pine. A touch of honey sweetness.

T - Good bitterness with a fresh and juicy hop profile. Peach, grapefruit, passion fruit, mango and lighter grapefruit notes with a slight honey malt sweetness in the background. Incredibly smooth and dangerously drinkable.

M - Medium body. Sticky and oily. Dry. Light carbonation.

07-14-2013 23:29:31 | More by TheSevenDuffs
jacewg

District of Columbia

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From notes: Fresh growler consumed 10/17

Appearance: Well we're off to a good start. Nice light yellow/orange color. Looks like mostly pale malt in this guy. Good lacing. A nice ring of head hangs around.

Aroma: Huge citrus; Very much a bitter orange juice type quality. Some tropical fruit as well with hints of pine and resin. The citrus jumps out of the glass more than any beer I've ever had. Not one thing I would change in terms of aroma.

Taste: Follows the nose. Medium bitterness for the style with huge citrus and some stonefruit I did not pick up in the nose plus the previously mentioned pine/resin. Slight hints of biscuity malt pop through at times but malt definitely takes a backseat in this one. Finishes dry and citrusy; Light to medium bodied for the style. Exceptional, exceptional stuff.

Mouthfeel: While certainly not a session beer in terms of alcohol %, this beer has all the qualities of a beer I could drink for hours. Moderate bitterness, light to medium bodied, well-carbed, finishes dry and resets the palette easily. Three glasses went down in what was seemingly a blink of an eye.

Overall: In the right mood, there's no doubt in my mind this would get a 5/5. Likely the best single IPA (under 7.2 or so) I've ever had with only Alpine Nelson putting up a real serious fight. While I tend to dislike all the hype and hysteria that surrounds Hill Farmstead, there's no denying the beer is phenomenal.

10-18-2013 17:09:42 | More by jacewg
cfrances33

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Growler thanks to Gosox8787, poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Complete hazy deep orange body. Perhaps the haziest Hill Farmstead IPA/DIPA I've had yet. Really nice white, fluffy, thick head. Head hangs around for quite a while, and provides really nice sticky lacing. Another beautiful beer.

Smell: Comes right out of the gate with juicy mango, grapefruit, and pineapple. A really nice citrus zest as well. Some pepper. A light bready malt comes in, but finishes with obvious pineapple.

Taste: Follows the nose on point. A ton of grapefruit and mangos. A really nice white pepper comes in from the citra. Sweetness is nice, but not too big, a little heavier than biscuity. A light resin comes in and it finishes with clean citrus juiciness.

Mouthfeel: Astonishingly juicy. More so than Abner in my opinion. Not quite S&S#5 level, but a more medium body than it. Bitterness is more of a supplement than really there. Fantastic.

Overall: Another absolute winner from Shaun Hill. Love the combo of these hops. Maybe could've done without Simcoe, but that's really nitpicking as much as I can.

11-26-2012 21:51:02 | More by cfrances33
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2L fill 11/27.

Hop notes big and slow from the pour, brightening a cool winter's day.

Color is a burnished orange. A large, fluffy, tan head sits for a bit and never fully dies.

Big citrus hops to the nose as mentioned. Some orange and rind and herb. Not much else but brilliance.

Smooth and fruity sweet up front with a quick juicy hop bite followed by some chalk, malt and notes of spice. A bit of candy sweetness dallies on the tongue.

Medium bodied and easy on the palate, but with plenty of flavor. Glad I got the 2L of this sweet nectar.

11-30-2013 21:07:08 | More by stephens101
BeRanger

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the 750ml Growler to my HF Tulip, #properglassware bitches. The growler is approximately one week old.

A: Typical color you'd expect here, the lighting blows in my office where I'm writing this however its a nice burnt orange w/ a tinges of yellow. A fair amount of lacing but not as much as some of the other HF beers I've had.

S: Very nice smell, perfectly balanced - lots of citrus, hops, mango, pineapple.

T: Pretty much knew what was coming - love the taste of this, kind of disappointed I didn't get a 2L of this vs. the SS#7 as it definitely beats it out as my favorite. Lots of tropical fruit on the tongue here with almost a perfect finish, no harshness or even hoppiness - the fruit just fades gradually. Hell, even my burps taste good.

M: Susan feels great in my mouth.

O: This is a fantastic little concoction from Hill Farmstead, I certainly agree with the previous review that this has become one of my favorites and I definitely prefer it over some of the all time favorites of most like Edward.

08-16-2013 23:19:06 | More by BeRanger
Pinknuggets

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

!!50th Review!!
Growler to worthy sniffer

A: thick orangey honey color with small white head completely opaque with nothing going through

S: wow it smells like a tropical fruit paradise there is some hops and maybe a bit of pine fresh too

T:I don't know where to start there are so many delicious flavors lots strong of melon, orange, and other tropical fruits, there is a piney resiny flavor too, but the hop bitterness is still there in the finish and the fruit comes our more as the beer warms

M:great smooth oily resiny feel to it there is some light carbonation for a bite but it goes down really smooth the crispness is there but goes away as the beer warms up

O: this is a good looking wonderful smelling great tasting ipa with a decent mouthfeel made from 3 of my favorite hops I can honestly say this is not only the best ipa I've had from hill farmstead so far but it's one of the best ipas I've ever had quality stuff for sure get it if you can

12-06-2012 03:49:02 | More by Pinknuggets
GonzoHomebrewer

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at 3 penny

A- hazy golden orange color with a light, wispy froth of white head

S- everything pops, grapefruit initially, with waves of tangerine, pummelo,

T- some light breast malt takes a back seat to a citrus explosion, a little grapefruit bitter then goes into tangerine citrus sweet, delicious

M- crisp mouthfeel, light body

O- dangerously drinkable, fantastic choppy IPA

08-10-2013 16:52:29 | More by GonzoHomebrewer
cosmicevan

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another one I have had on many occasion but have yet to add a review, well that changes now thanks to a surprise 64oz growler that my buddy maddogg21 dropped off earlier today on his way out of town for a trip to Belgium (apparently did not have time to drink it between the pick up about a week ago and now - who does that? But I digress...) enjoyed from a bulbous hill farmstead wine glass.

a -'brew pours a cloudy crisp orange yellow with a darker core. Really nice lush foamy head hangs out and the n coats the glass with lace as the head dissolves and the beer is consumed.

s - nose is soft citric. Fresh fruit. Crisp.

t - taste is also fairly spot on. Fresh fruit with a wonderful fruity hop. Bright citric notes but all extremely we'll balanced.

m - has that wonderful hf mouth feel. Easy drinking and perfectly medium bodied.

o - overall what can you say about Susan that you cannot say about hill farmstead on general. It is a quality product. Hill farmstead sets a new bar in beer creation. Everything in the right place. Recipes are carefully crafted and it shows. This is a phenomenal IPA. Psyched to have 64oz of is for myself.

04-06-2014 18:43:03 | More by cosmicevan
lunarbrew

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my brand new Hill Farmstead stemware. Thanks for the amazing box, Dave!

Pours light and carbonated. Contains the signature HF glow, which I surmise is caused by highly addictive drugs. Very beautiful brew.

Smells huge! Wow. Packs a punch for a single IPA. Smells bigger than most IIPAs I've had in the past, including Abner. Its citrusy (grapefruit) and piney.

Taste is not as big as the smell, but it is fantastic. The beer is pretty damn bitter with resin lingering on the tongue. I actually think the 'single' aspect to this IPA is what accentuates the hops. There is no where for them to hide, so you get a little bit of a smack in the face. Again, a lot of grapefruit with a piney bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel... Well, it's HF, so pretty much perfect. Super creamy and full bodied. Also very carbonated, but in a unique way. It's almost like the carbonation is more evenly distributed than most beers. Carbonation is never harsh with HF. The head is always big but extra fluffy. Water? Yeast? Maybe it's magic.

Overall, on the single ipa curve, this one takes the cake so far. I honestly can't think of anything better. Furious is ok, two hearted is good, blind pig is great, but this is fantastic. Cheers to Susan!

09-07-2013 05:04:59 | More by lunarbrew
tpmurray

New Hampshire

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow...after reading all the Vermont hype I journeyed up from CT last week to see what all the fuss was about. This was my 200th "tour" of a brewery and may have been my favorite. You must go just to have the privilege of driving up the dirt roads in the middle of nowwherseville and waiting in line while they bring you 4 generous samples off the taps for $5...I thought heaven would require more effort to get to.

One of my four was Susan which blew my mind so became one of my growler picks. The scene is very cool there...a group in front of me from Jersey on their second trip through line...a couple behind me from Georgia and NY...a guy in the parking lot from Rhode Island. This is not an easy ride - these folks all travelled several hours just to fill some growlers that the bottle tag says should be consumed within a week and all had been there before. Once you taste it, you will know why - Susan is the best beer I have ever tasted. My rating here is based on the 750ml growler and I'm now trying to figure out how I get back up there without being late for Thanksgiving dinner.

The citrus from the NZ hops is so delicious and unlike a lot of bigger IPA's, the alcohol is absent. Phenomenal...I need to learn how they brew something this good

11-27-2013 01:49:24 | More by tpmurray
Knapp85

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to DaveHack for the hookup o this one. The beer poured out as a nice hazy yellow color with a massive fluffy white head. The smell of citrus fills the air after popping the growler and pouring out into the glass. There is a beautiful soft grapefruit aroma on this. There is a very nice citrusy flavor too with subtle waves of wheat ad grains in there as well. The mouthfeel is soft, light bodied and refreshing. Overall this is a great IPA. Very good stuff.

01-19-2013 00:41:54 | More by Knapp85
blackie

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

drank so much of this - in and around Waterbury as well as a liter growler to go, and lord it was a lovely time

Susan is a deep, golden apricot in color with a rich cream white head that leaves good lacing. A carefully crafted hop blend is the highlight here - those lovely NZ hops bring their tropical medley including kiwi, mango, and passionfruit with the others bringing citrus highlights of tangerine and grapefruit. Juicy and fresh, riding a light, subtly sweet pale malt base with a touch of honey. Pleasant on the palate - moderate in body with a soft light-moderate carbonation. A balanced bitterness with a touch of citrus oil accents the finish and provides a dry, drinkable close. A top-tier IPA that pulls in all the best characteristics of a great hop blend and sets them against a thoughtful malt base..

10-04-2013 04:09:20 | More by blackie
05Harley

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Shared a keg of this with my man Rochefort10nh of course...
(186 calories)

Once again, I'm in complete "ahhg" from my favorite New England brewer. Shaun is definitely the man, whether it's low octane APA's or high octane IPA's, Stouts or what ever. He's got the formula. This time around we're digging on an IPA that is just fantastic from start to finish. And maintains a good shelf life to boot.

The look of this liquid gem is nothing short of amazing. It fits the bill for all the qualities one looks for in appearance in the style. Pours a cloudy looking orange with a big huge soapy head that won't quit. Damn..
The lacing on my glass could be mistaken for soap suds it's that thick. Absolutely no sediment too speak of in suspension or on the bottom. No noticeable carbonation but massive head never the less. This beer looks hot and may be giving me wood...

Aroma is big time grape fruit, orange peel, apricot (which I needed to actually smell before I could include it in the review), peach and pineapple. Simply put this is citrus utopia.

Taste is in your face white grapefruit, clementine, lemon peel, and a huge play on pine hops. The big sweetness of the peach is a nice addition and in my mind gets the credit for the balancing act. The big malt backbone adds a nice creamy feel that's rare for the style (brewers take notice). Is this really only 6.2 %?!!

The body is medium and the beer goes down extremely smooth for so much flavor and hops. The aftertaste is perfectly bitter and dry and not over done. I really like this and could drink it on a regular basis. Maybe a desert island beer...

What can I say. Shaun is dead on with so many beers and this one's no exception. Riwaka hops equall grapefruit, hell ya! This beer is soo drinkable on all levels. Man I love living in New England.

Cheers!!!