1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Susan - Hill Farmstead Brewery

SusanSusan

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American IPA brewed with our favorite hops. Hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Riwaka.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-25-2012)

Fasiculus, Feb 27, 2014

SuperHop18, Jul 17, 2014

DaPan, Apr 05, 2014

BibsBrewing, Feb 14, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

Reviewed from notes from two growler fills from 8/8 and 8/9. Made the drive to Hill from Burlington, Vt. two days in a row and waited 2 hours and 3 hours respectively for Susan. Served in a Citizen Cider snifter.

A: Very hazy orange, very pleasant.

S: Hoppy citrus beaming out of the glass. Extremely inviting, this is the kind of aroma that makes you excited to taste.

T: Susan's taste is, to me, absolutely spot on. The citrus hops, specifically mango and tangerine for me, hit you immediately and last throughout the tasting. The alcohol is present, yet not overbearing. It's not JUST hoppy either, it's a hell of a robust beer.

M: Thick, carbonated, and perfect.

O: As a quasi-local, I've had my share of Hill's beers over the past few years. And, while I would never discount Shaun Hill's ability to make absolutely world-class beers, I had never quite fell in love with any of the things I had tried. Edward is fantastic, sure, but I could never bring myself to drive all the way to the Northeast Kingdom for a growler of Ed. Susan changed that. To me, Susan is THE perfect IPA. The balance is there, the tropical citrus is there, and the drinkability and refreshment is there. Susan is the epitome of Hill's skill, in my opinion. I fell in love with Susan so madly that I had to return the very next day and wait for over 3 hours for another 2 Liters of this, in my opinion, perfect Vermont single IPA. If you find yourself fortunate enough to find Susan anywhere, you'd be a fool not to give her a try. This my personal pick for the "best beer I've ever had."

BTVflatlander, Aug 13, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 750 ML swing top into an oversized wine glass...maybe a brandy glass?

A- Great goldish and orangeish color. Pretty solid fluffy white head

S- Smell is amazing, citrus, floral hops, one of the best smells for a single IPA. Definitely top tier IPA without a doubt. Smell is similar to that of sculpin, maine beer co lunch or RR Blind Pig.

T- Taste is perfect, very herbal and citrusy, but great IPA notes, great balance of hops and malt, perfectly balanced and very refreshing.

M- Smooth mouthfeel, very full and not lacking anything.

O- The best single IPA I think I have had to date. Very fresh and I the drinkability is amazing.

omniscientcause, Nov 23, 2012
4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

Was fortunate enough to have Susan back when it debuted in NYC at at the Blind Tiger last November, along with a handful of other HF rarities. The scene was absolute chaos, with the entire place packed floor-to-ceiling and people ordering as many as four 12-ounce pours at a time for themselves; I’ve never seen anything quite like it. I was fortunate enough to score a seat at the bar about 10 minutes before keg-tapping, and got my hands on one of the first pours of Susan ever in Manhattan. Glad I got it when I did, because the sixtel kicked in 30 minutes.

Bursting with all of the wonderful citrus flavor and aroma of many of my favorite IPAs, I quickly realized what Susan reminded me of more than anything else — Zombie Dust. Citra is the star of the Susan show, but it’s also a showcase for Riwaka and Simcoe. To date, Susan is one of the few beers I’ve had that has given Zombie Dust a true run for its money. Absolutely one of the finest IPAs I've ever drank.

LarryK, Nov 19, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

750 mL growler courtesy of baconsausage!

A: Hazy straw yellow, decent head, spotty lacing.

S: Grapefruit and citrus - lots of it. One of the best smelling IPAs I've had. Citra hops jump out of the glass.

T: Tropical fruit, orange, grapefruit, lingers on the palate in a very good way. Each drink kept me coming back for more.

M: Slightly less carbonation than I would have liked. Medium bodied, dry, crisp, beautiful.

O: Wonderful beer. I wish I would have had side-by-side with S&S5 for comparison sake. I could drink this forever and be happy.

AnnArborJoe, Dec 05, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +8%

750 growler thanks to Tommy, two and a half week old. Huge pop at the opening, this one was nicely sealed. Intencing danky aroma of onion and weed, some citrus and leaf. This feels like the small cousin of Abner, less powerful but more drinkable. My favourite IPA.

Luk13, Jan 22, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +8%

HF Susan, my first growler from our trip to the brewery yesterday. I am excited to try the application of New Zealond hops in this

A- Susan pours a gorgeous mango orange fill with highly anticipate hazy color. A creamy white head of foam rises only to slowly subside leaving lacing everywhere. It's a sticky as possible it can be towards the edges

S- A plethora of citrus and tropical fruit tones burst out of the glass. Some sweet malt is present along with a pepper like presence. Susan is very lively and floral and that is exactly how I like ipas. Even a slight pine scent at the end just to round it off

T- an onslaught of tropical fruit, pineapple, and lemon zest wax my taste buds in the form of a green mountain avalanche. While the hoppiness is out of this world, a sweet malt undertone coates the palate with some of the aforementioned pepper tone. This is the real deal for an India pale ales taste profile. Hoppy as can be with emphasis on citrus and bitter characteristics as well

M- carbonation, smoothness, coating flavor that has the perfect feel. Sticky on the palate and delicious aftertaste

O- so it is now a fact for me. For ipas only, Susan passes Flower power as the best ipa I have ever had. The riwaka hops combined with simcoe and citra (and topped off with shaun's brewing style) created a citric hop bomb of mouth watering flavor. I really enjoyed this and wish I had easier access to it

lovindahops, Dec 30, 2012
4.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed this from a 2L Hill Farmstead growler poured into a Hill Farmstead large wine glass.
Appearence is a medium amber, hazy liquid with very nice head, very nice lacing, good lacing retention.
Aromas are deep and strong. Sweetness, tropical fruit, only a hint of floral, mild bready malts in the far background.
Taste is perfect. Absolutely delicious, mouth begging for more sips. Coats your mouth with tropical fruit, tiny bubbles, some stickiness but not too sweet.
Finishes very nice with mild bitterness in the aftertaste.
Overall, another disturbingly terrific beer from Shaun. Susan rivals Double Sunshine IMO.

BoldRulerVT, Dec 07, 2013