Susan - Hill Farmstead Brewery

SusanSusan

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American IPA brewed with our favorite hops. Hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Riwaka.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-25-2012)
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a murky light orange with a foamy bone head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight tropical aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with some great citrus and tropical aromas and flavors that make it super easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the 750ml Growler to my HF Tulip, #properglassware bitches. The growler is approximately one week old.

A: Typical color you'd expect here, the lighting blows in my office where I'm writing this however its a nice burnt orange w/ a tinges of yellow. A fair amount of lacing but not as much as some of the other HF beers I've had.

S: Very nice smell, perfectly balanced - lots of citrus, hops, mango, pineapple.

T: Pretty much knew what was coming - love the taste of this, kind of disappointed I didn't get a 2L of this vs. the SS#7 as it definitely beats it out as my favorite. Lots of tropical fruit on the tongue here with almost a perfect finish, no harshness or even hoppiness - the fruit just fades gradually. Hell, even my burps taste good.

M: Susan feels great in my mouth.

O: This is a fantastic little concoction from Hill Farmstead, I certainly agree with the previous review that this has become one of my favorites and I definitely prefer it over some of the all time favorites of most like Edward.

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

Reviewed from notes from two growler fills from 8/8 and 8/9. Made the drive to Hill from Burlington, Vt. two days in a row and waited 2 hours and 3 hours respectively for Susan. Served in a Citizen Cider snifter.

A: Very hazy orange, very pleasant.

S: Hoppy citrus beaming out of the glass. Extremely inviting, this is the kind of aroma that makes you excited to taste.

T: Susan's taste is, to me, absolutely spot on. The citrus hops, specifically mango and tangerine for me, hit you immediately and last throughout the tasting. The alcohol is present, yet not overbearing. It's not JUST hoppy either, it's a hell of a robust beer.

M: Thick, carbonated, and perfect.

O: As a quasi-local, I've had my share of Hill's beers over the past few years. And, while I would never discount Shaun Hill's ability to make absolutely world-class beers, I had never quite fell in love with any of the things I had tried. Edward is fantastic, sure, but I could never bring myself to drive all the way to the Northeast Kingdom for a growler of Ed. Susan changed that. To me, Susan is THE perfect IPA. The balance is there, the tropical citrus is there, and the drinkability and refreshment is there. Susan is the epitome of Hill's skill, in my opinion. I fell in love with Susan so madly that I had to return the very next day and wait for over 3 hours for another 2 Liters of this, in my opinion, perfect Vermont single IPA. If you find yourself fortunate enough to find Susan anywhere, you'd be a fool not to give her a try. This my personal pick for the "best beer I've ever had."

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at 3 penny

A- hazy golden orange color with a light, wispy froth of white head

S- everything pops, grapefruit initially, with waves of tangerine, pummelo,

T- some light breast malt takes a back seat to a citrus explosion, a little grapefruit bitter then goes into tangerine citrus sweet, delicious

M- crisp mouthfeel, light body

O- dangerously drinkable, fantastic choppy IPA

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased at the brewery on 8-8-13, from a 750ml growler poured into a The Alchemist pint glass.

AP: Nice inviting colour on this one, reminds me of orange or peach marmalade. Fluffy 1.5" head that dwindles down to 1/4". Almost no lacing on the sides when you tilt the glass, so excellent head retention.
AR: A pine and citrus explosion of aromas on the first whiff. Green fresh pine more like the needles than the bark/sap. Citrus is grapefruit, lemon, orange, tangerine. Light toasty crackery grains in the background.
T: I swear the malt base to this has a buttery roll taste to it, like the croissants I bought recently at my local supermarket. I like that as it gives it more depth than just being light grains and crackers playing solely second fiddle to the hops. All the citrus aromas are in the taste as well, very well balanced both among themselves and with the malts. On the taste I get a little more tropical fruit like pineapple and papaya. A nice soft bitter citrus rind finish that lingers for a while. The fruity hops flavours don't come across as what I'd call 'juicy' though.
M: Fairly carbonated, slightly creamy on the palate, finish isn't too dry or puckering, pretty much a clean finish.
OV: A very good beer for certain, just not quite World Class to me. It's very good, but it didn't blow me away. Now, that's not a bad thing and I'm not disappointed in any way. If I could get my hands on a beer like this whenever I wanted then it would be in my regular rotation to drink. I'm glad I got this and tried it.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Growler fill from @tauroe and brought to connecticut
Susan gets the perfect 5 down the list
Pours a cloudy golden with big lacing
Smells of intense hop florals, glass clippings/pine/woods/grapefruit/lemon
Taste has a medium bitterness and carbonation with a crisp dry finish
Overall easily in the top list. Great balance of fruitiness hops, dryness in the finish. Lacing extremely impressive

Susan from Hill Farmstead Brewery