Juicy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

JuicyJuicy

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Wine barrel aged New Zealand hopped saison.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-20-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Iowa

12-15-2012 15:12:25 | More by mattafett
jaasen64

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Two 375ml bottles opened at once and split three ways, purchased at the brewery 2-3 weeks ago. Poured into HF stemmed glass. Slight gusher when opened, nothing too bad though.

A- Pours a slightly organish brownish red that is slightly translucent with a bit of haze. About a finger's worth of head that fades pretty fast to a fairly bubbly, but mostly flat surface that leaves some clingy lacing. On close inspection of one of the bottles there is some definite small white sedimentation specs floating around (similar to what you would find from a poured Heady Topper). Overall an interesting appearance, a little bit darker then expected but has a nice glow.

S- Funky, citrusy, tart, earthy aromas of citrus hops, sour lemons, grapefruit, chardonnay, limes, bretty funk, and a light presence of what some people might refer to as wet-horse blanket or sweaty gym clothes. As it settles for awhile the funk fades a little bit and more earthy tones come out. Fairly aromatic and reminds me a little bit of a hoppy/citrusy Beatification that is slightly less funky.

T- Hops balance nicely with the sour/funk aspects of the beer to provide tastes of sour lemons, grapefruit, some melons, a hint of lime, some light bretty funkiness, sour finish with a slight presence of citric acid. Lingering aftertastes of sour lemons and a bit of brett. A little less funky but a bit more sour then the nose. As it settles for awhile sourness dies a little bit and a little bit more earthy brett comes out.

M- Medium bodied, juicy with a dry finish, fairly minimal carbonation but leaves a tingly sensation that makes it feel more carbonated then it actually is, fairly high drinkability.

O- This was a very interesting, complex saison. It was definitely funkier then I was expecting but it balanced nicely with the citrus hops presence which lended a little bit of a Juicy quality as you would expect from the name. There was definitely a hint of Mimosa in this that provided a little bit lemon. I would definitely recommend trying this beer out especially if you like beers with a little bit more funk to them. It'll be interesting to see how this one ages.

12-14-2012 14:54:38 | More by jaasen64
cbeer88

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

HUGE thanks to bevdaddy for grabbing me a bottle of Juicy on his recent trip...

375ml bottle poured into (what else) a Hill Farmstead balloon glass.

Appearance: Well-chilled bottle gushes up very slightly on open, though not as bad as the rumors. Color is somewhere between a dirty gold and a dark orange. Head is surprisingly thin, though I poured it tenderly after the bit of gushing. Great lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit and a strong brett-y funk dancing together in my nose. Hops are there, and prominent for the style, but take a backseat. If I strain I can get the oak.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. The grapefruit and brett have found their perfect match. Citrus flavored hops on the backend are potent, but the lingering aftertaste is brett. Oaky, earthy, barnyard/hay, and fruit. Not sour at all, just funky, and a slight tart from the wine.

Drinkability: Really high. I only have one bottle, but I would buy this by the 6-pack if I could.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carb, medium body, a bit sticky on the back.

Overall: I'm not really sure what this beer is. Part saison, part Belgian IPA, part wild ale, but all good. It's very unique, and like most everything HF does, it's awesome. But, I feel Juicy only falls somewhere around average for HF. Chase after it if you are a brett fiend, but otherwise you could do just as well with their other saisons.

12-14-2012 01:59:04 | More by cbeer88
Quackus

12-12-2012 01:03:20 | More by Quackus
jbuddle

12-11-2012 15:28:47 | More by jbuddle
SpeedwayJim

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Josh for this one. Shared at a tasting 12/8. 5oz pour into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light, thin white ring of carbonation. Beer is clear bronze. Spotty lace with decent stick. Not great for the style.

Nose is passion fruit, citrus, pineapple, and other tropical fruit with cane sugar sweetness. Really good!

Opens yeasty. Citrus, passion fruit, light tartness balanced by a mild, yeast and hop bitterness. Big tropical fruit notes throughout make this one almost IIPA like but with a saison-y spicy finish. Interesting.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Spritzy in the mouth and crisp and quenching going down. Dry finish with a dry aftertaste. Very good.

Pretty good overall and just like mimosa, very aptly named. However, also like mimosa, I wouldn't rank this among the best saison's HF makes. Flavor profile is interesting but this just doesn't stand out to me. I'm glad I got to try it but I wouldn't go through the trouble of seeking this out myself.

12-09-2012 18:02:56 | More by SpeedwayJim
Gatch

4.73/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a gusher...like a chemical reaction once opened.
Note: you really gotta let this baby warm up to let it shine.

A: Beautiful shade of vibrant golden orange. Largest head I've ever seen in a beer. Fizzy, foamy, bubbly, bright white. One of the longest lasting heads, as well. Never really goes away with great retention and lace. This deserves more than a 5.

S: Very complex. Bursts of ripe, sour fruit. Fizzy, chalky, densely sweet sugar. Funk and wood. Some citrus and the NZ hops if you grt deep. Give it a stir and the aromas explode again. I found my nose buried in this for minutes at a time. A pleasure for the senses. I've honestly never spent more time smelling a beer in my life. Again, higher than a 5.

T: Oh yeah, I get to drink this beer, too! Everything in the nose but fruitier, hoppier, a bit funkier and very dry.

M: Perfect carbonation, very dry and fruity, but a bit chalky and cloying. It's going to be hard to enjoy other beers of this style after this near perfection.

O: I'd say it's more of an American Wild than a Saison. Worth the hype but that's easy for me to say because I was able to easily acquire a bottle. I was expecting it to change my life and it didn't, but it definitely blew my mind. Fantastic beer.

12-08-2012 05:24:59 | More by Gatch
standardcherry

4.76/5  rDev +6%

Bottle poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with a small white head.
S: Smells funky! Lots of pineapple and wine barrel notes as well.
T: Wow, this tastes amazing. Reminds me of Mimosa but with tropical flavors instead of citrus. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple flavors followed by nice tartness.
M: Carbonation is spot on. Very nice. It feels juicy, with nice refreshing tartness. Clean finish.
O: I can't decide which is my number one but this just earned a top spot in my HF list, up there with Mimosa and Damon. Reminds me a lot of Mimosa, which is definitely a good thing.

12-08-2012 03:00:48 | More by standardcherry
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours light brown with a big frothy off white head. Great retention and good spotty lacing down the glass.

Lots of funk in the nose. Some citrus fruits combine with brett to form the aroma backbone. Can't really smell any wine barrel.

Very fruity and funky taste as well. I get some white wine components that were absent in the aroma. Good grape and orange notes along with brett and a few spices. Very smooth throughout as no one component overpowers. Not very sour at all, just funky.

Medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. A little bit slick and oily and goes down smooth.

Very well made beer, but not worth giving up an arm and a leg so thanks to chippo for the great trade. For Hill Farmstead frame of reference, I enjoyed this more than Mimosa, but still not anywhere as good as b3 Flora.

12-06-2012 23:20:25 | More by jmarsh123
Pinknuggets

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to Lawson's sniffer

A: different throughout dark almost brown toward the top with some dark golden honey color toward the bottom with a white fluffy head. It is quite cloudy and almost completely opaque

S: you can really smell that barnyard funk from the yeast it is quite pungent there is lots of citrus smell as well mostly oranges. There is also clear hints of oak and white wine scents to round out the smell.

T: it tastes juicy with citrus and orange flavor really coming through with a sweet taste with that has the funky wine barrel taste. It is not really sour, rather there is a more fruity taste very drinkable. It is perhaps the best example of a beligan yeasty wild aged in wine barrels that I have tried.

M: clean crisp with light carbonation very easy to drink a little but oily but basically perfect for a wild ale

O: great tasting wild ale with a phenomenal mouthfeel only downside is the lack of smell and weird coloring but other then that its a really high quality offering from hfs. Yet again they know what they are doing doing drink it if you can.

12-05-2012 02:41:02 | More by Pinknuggets

12-02-2012 04:40:27 | More by Shmeal
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Poured a nice light orange with good carbonation, light white cap with some good lacing, moderate head retention leaves white rings clinging to the glass

S: Light and funky, Brett is noticed, light whiffs of baby diaper and barf with subtle hints of light citrus and passion fruits

T: The nose is somewhat misleading. Not as funky or "Bretty" as I had hoped for from a Farmhouse. With that being said, this beer was tasty as heck. Lots of pineapple, light citrus; dash of orange peel, hints of lemons and some hay, light funk is buried beneath the subtle fruit notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, very nice feel, crisp.

O: Very good. While this beer was extremely tasteful and killer on the tastebuds I was looking for a little more brett on the palate.

12-01-2012 20:53:30 | More by barleywinefiend
DaveHack

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a HF stem

Cloudy, hazy, gold with a huge fluffy head. Others have reported a gusher, this bottle did no such thing. phew.

There is a nice mustiness to it. There is also a fruitiness I just can't quite place. There is some funky scent in there, a band aid plastic...it all works well together, I'm not a professional at this so my descriptors may be off, but trust me...it works.

There is a lot going on here. Hops start out and a milky, tart finish follows. Again, it's hard for me to describe, but it works.

Rather creamy and well..Juicy. It's kind of like a saison on hop steroids. Feels oh so smooth in the mouth with just a touch of dryness as I swallow.

Really a fantastic beer stretching the boundaries of saison and wild ale. Really an awesome beer. I think I may have enjoyed CD 5 a touch more...but, Shaun is fucking killing it!

12-01-2012 04:40:57 | More by DaveHack
SFACRKnight

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to MEW for this one!
Poured into new belgian globe from 350 bottle, be careful, mine was a gusher.

a- poured a beautiful hazy golden peach, about a half inch of clean white head. I haven't seen a beer quite this color before. Nice lacing as well.

s- lots of citrus on the nose, lots of brett tartness but without the plastic or band aid smells some people associate with brett. Some hops come through as well, but the brett makes my mouth water, so on with the show...

t- first sip, holy cow, reminds me of biting into a fresh grapefruit. Lots of bright citrus tartness with the hops balancing things out well. I can't decide if I should sip and savor this or chug this right now! Amazing flavors, I can't get enough.

m- silky smooth mouthfeel, the head adds a velvet like feel to the tart flavors. Exactly what I expected.

o- this has been the best brett saison I have had. Ever. Top five beers of all time for me thus far.

11-30-2012 19:59:10 | More by SFACRKnight
thezoobrew

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

This is my first beer review, and to be honest, it is only because it is necessary. I have never felt the need to give my input on a beer except while bartending or during a bottle share, until now.

The smell is a deep brett funk with a small hint of tartness.
The initial taste is huge brett, slightly bitter.
It finishes like taking a huge bite out of a Florida orange on a hot summer day at the beach with the best of friends.
Both bottles i have had were not gushers, and although this was not thr best beer i have ever tasted, it was the most interesting and pleasant one by far.

Enjoy, and happy hunting.

11-30-2012 04:46:49 | More by thezoobrew
chippo33

Vermont

11-30-2012 03:31:05 | More by chippo33
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

375 mL bottle, thanks Starr!

Pours a hazy and dull golden amber with a thin off white head. Acidic aroma of lemon and wine with some leafy tropical hops and grass. Medium thick body with soft carbonation and a long lasting orange pulp/resin and leafy hop finish. Bright flavor of orange peel, lemon, grass, white wine and bready malt. Notes of Mimosa's citrus flavor are present but tempered in a welcomed way. Reminds me a lot of my favorite batches of Vautour, with the balance of grassy and lemon saison notes with the wine and orange of the barrel aging.

11-30-2012 01:29:08 | More by yourefragile
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to jfmamj for sending this one my way.

Beer pours a very hazy golden-orange with a big white head. Gusher alert - this started pouring out of the bottle immediately. Smell is a fantastic blend of wine barrel, brett and hops. It reminds me a lot of E. in a good way. Flavor follows the nose as all the same elements are present in wonderful balance. The wine barrel and brett hit you first, but it's got a great citrus character that emerges halfway through followed by a fairly bitter, orange-rindy hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and mouth-coating, really quite nice. Overall this is a really well-done, complex saison that's one of Hill Farmstead's best. I'd say it's right up there with CD1 and E. It kinda comes off like a junior version of Mimosa that incorporates all of its elements even better. Well done Shaun!

11-30-2012 01:28:45 | More by starrdogg
koopa

4.58/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle purchased at the brewery and poured / gushed into a gulden drak tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours between russet and a cloudy dirty copper penny with a 1.5 finger white crown that shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Mainly band aid and plastic (reduced quite a bit when the beer warmed up more) from the brett that comes off like a milder version of the smell that crushed stink bugs make with some tropical fruit notes (apricot, mango, tangerine, and grapefruit) from the hops. As the beer warms the stink bug juice transforms magically into a light funk level of brett. I'd give this one a 4.25 if I could so I'm rounding up a bit.

Taste: More enjoyable than the nose in my opinion. The yeast character is much more prominent and is very well integrated with the malt and hops. In addition to a light funk up front, that oh so lovely brett derived lemon note appears in the finish too. The hops definitely play a bit more of a supporting role in this beer than I expected them to. I get some white wine character similar to Nelson Sauvin in the hop profile as well, but I believe that is coming from the mimosa barrel used, since I believe it was a white wine barrel that also housed some citrus (orange rind).

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied with medium carbonation comprised of very soft billowy bubbles. Not as dry as I expected and that might actually be a good thing.

Overall: I would drink this beer constantly if I had the opportunity. What a lovely hoppy wild saison. The flavors are so well layered and compliment each other fantastically. Truly gestalt in nature. Kudos to Hill Farmstead for making such a progressive and delicious beer! The hops combined with the brett is what makes this one truly special so consuming it fresh is a big factor in having the experience I've outlined.

11-27-2012 01:03:28 | More by koopa
Franch

This is simply a beautiful beer, top to bottom. It is easily one of my top beers, if not my top beer.

It was a gusher, so be prepared with a glass. The half ounce of beer spilled on the bar was truly tragic.

This beer is listed as "0 ICUs", which means there is no "citrus zest" added to the beer. That's surprising, as the first thing you notice in the aroma is citrus fruit everywhere. The taste follows, with a barrage of oranges, apricots, and peaches. It continues and builds along with a lurking bitterness from the New Zealand hops. Towards the back end, an explosion of multi-layered Brettanomyces sensation starts, reminiscent of Orval. It finishes with a combination of that Orval-esque Brett flavor and orange citrus. It's aged in Mimosa barrels, which had 500 ICUs if I remember correctly, so the fruit flavors that I was lucky enough to taste in Mimosa are certainly present in Shaun Hill's "mini-Mimosa" here in Juicy.

Don't take any of this to mean that the beer is one-note citrus. It's not. Between the sufficient amount of hops to keep a lurking bitterness, the intricate flavoring of Brettanomyces in the back end, and the citrus flavor, it combines to make a truly world-class and wonderful beer. Everyone was absolutely blown away by this beer. It'd be on my short "desert island" list for sure.

11-26-2012 17:25:41 | More by Franch