Juicy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

JuicyJuicy

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Wine barrel aged New Zealand hopped saison.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-20-2012)

HevvyMetalHippie, Dec 18, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Hill Farmstead stemware glass. Gushes a bit on opening

Milky white top, classic HF milky and tight bubbles make the pour and cap. Always leaves a nice 2-3mm puck. Body color is a dull peach orange, and opaque quite hazy.

Bouquet hits hot and sharp. Big brett funk, mixing with large aromatic peaches and fruit. Mellows out with a nice to aptly described heat and tropical juicy fruit action. Lots of pineapple, and yellow tropic sensations. More of a punch tropic than an actual beer, just that hint of classic big funk brings you back. Smells amazing. A few drops spill on my hands, and my fingers smell like liquid bread, just incredible.

What an impressive palate. Fruit punch action, and tropical pineapple abounds. Huge juice finish with large peppery sensing spice. Bread and toasty sourdough explode in the aftertaste all over. A good controlled burst of heat, but nothing boozy. Incredibly.. truly.. juicy palate, mouth coating and full, but light and not thick. Lemon, pineapples, peaches oh my.. throw in some farmhouse big bold goodness and it's mouthwatering.

I am not one for tropical notes, I am even less one of a fan for pineapple flavors, but this is just unreal. Borderline blurring drink. Great saison, great Hill Farmstead stuff. Stupidly drinkable... MORE!

smakawhat, Dec 18, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -16.5%

TotallyHosed, Dec 18, 2012

thstevens12, Dec 16, 2012

readbaron, Dec 16, 2012

wdarcy77, Dec 16, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Juicy pours a hazy yellow/amber with a small, thin white head on top. The foam disappears quickly leaving only a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is loaded with tangerine citrus. In addition, notes of brett and tropical fruit are also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is soft, a little watery with mild carbonation. The flavor is tart with orange and tangerine citrus. Some grapes appear in the middle along with a touch of tropical fruit. It finishes a little salty (? maybe it's just me). Once gone the tart flavor and tangerine citrus lingers on the palate.

This is an easy drinking beer with lots of aroma and flavor. An interesting combination of tartness and citrus hops.

WanderingFool, Dec 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

teddyarrowhead, Dec 16, 2012

mattafett, Dec 15, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Two 375ml bottles opened at once and split three ways, purchased at the brewery 2-3 weeks ago. Poured into HF stemmed glass. Slight gusher when opened, nothing too bad though.

A- Pours a slightly organish brownish red that is slightly translucent with a bit of haze. About a finger's worth of head that fades pretty fast to a fairly bubbly, but mostly flat surface that leaves some clingy lacing. On close inspection of one of the bottles there is some definite small white sedimentation specs floating around (similar to what you would find from a poured Heady Topper). Overall an interesting appearance, a little bit darker then expected but has a nice glow.

S- Funky, citrusy, tart, earthy aromas of citrus hops, sour lemons, grapefruit, chardonnay, limes, bretty funk, and a light presence of what some people might refer to as wet-horse blanket or sweaty gym clothes. As it settles for awhile the funk fades a little bit and more earthy tones come out. Fairly aromatic and reminds me a little bit of a hoppy/citrusy Beatification that is slightly less funky.

T- Hops balance nicely with the sour/funk aspects of the beer to provide tastes of sour lemons, grapefruit, some melons, a hint of lime, some light bretty funkiness, sour finish with a slight presence of citric acid. Lingering aftertastes of sour lemons and a bit of brett. A little less funky but a bit more sour then the nose. As it settles for awhile sourness dies a little bit and a little bit more earthy brett comes out.

M- Medium bodied, juicy with a dry finish, fairly minimal carbonation but leaves a tingly sensation that makes it feel more carbonated then it actually is, fairly high drinkability.

O- This was a very interesting, complex saison. It was definitely funkier then I was expecting but it balanced nicely with the citrus hops presence which lended a little bit of a Juicy quality as you would expect from the name. There was definitely a hint of Mimosa in this that provided a little bit lemon. I would definitely recommend trying this beer out especially if you like beers with a little bit more funk to them. It'll be interesting to see how this one ages.

jaasen64, Dec 14, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

HUGE thanks to bevdaddy for grabbing me a bottle of Juicy on his recent trip...

375ml bottle poured into (what else) a Hill Farmstead balloon glass.

Appearance: Well-chilled bottle gushes up very slightly on open, though not as bad as the rumors. Color is somewhere between a dirty gold and a dark orange. Head is surprisingly thin, though I poured it tenderly after the bit of gushing. Great lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit and a strong brett-y funk dancing together in my nose. Hops are there, and prominent for the style, but take a backseat. If I strain I can get the oak.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. The grapefruit and brett have found their perfect match. Citrus flavored hops on the backend are potent, but the lingering aftertaste is brett. Oaky, earthy, barnyard/hay, and fruit. Not sour at all, just funky, and a slight tart from the wine.

Drinkability: Really high. I only have one bottle, but I would buy this by the 6-pack if I could.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carb, medium body, a bit sticky on the back.

Overall: I'm not really sure what this beer is. Part saison, part Belgian IPA, part wild ale, but all good. It's very unique, and like most everything HF does, it's awesome. But, I feel Juicy only falls somewhere around average for HF. Chase after it if you are a brett fiend, but otherwise you could do just as well with their other saisons.

cbeer88, Dec 14, 2012

Quackus, Dec 12, 2012

jbuddle, Dec 11, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Josh for this one. Shared at a tasting 12/8. 5oz pour into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light, thin white ring of carbonation. Beer is clear bronze. Spotty lace with decent stick. Not great for the style.

Nose is passion fruit, citrus, pineapple, and other tropical fruit with cane sugar sweetness. Really good!

Opens yeasty. Citrus, passion fruit, light tartness balanced by a mild, yeast and hop bitterness. Big tropical fruit notes throughout make this one almost IIPA like but with a saison-y spicy finish. Interesting.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Spritzy in the mouth and crisp and quenching going down. Dry finish with a dry aftertaste. Very good.

Pretty good overall and just like mimosa, very aptly named. However, also like mimosa, I wouldn't rank this among the best saison's HF makes. Flavor profile is interesting but this just doesn't stand out to me. I'm glad I got to try it but I wouldn't go through the trouble of seeking this out myself.

SpeedwayJim, Dec 09, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a gusher...like a chemical reaction once opened.
Note: you really gotta let this baby warm up to let it shine.

A: Beautiful shade of vibrant golden orange. Largest head I've ever seen in a beer. Fizzy, foamy, bubbly, bright white. One of the longest lasting heads, as well. Never really goes away with great retention and lace. This deserves more than a 5.

S: Very complex. Bursts of ripe, sour fruit. Fizzy, chalky, densely sweet sugar. Funk and wood. Some citrus and the NZ hops if you grt deep. Give it a stir and the aromas explode again. I found my nose buried in this for minutes at a time. A pleasure for the senses. I've honestly never spent more time smelling a beer in my life. Again, higher than a 5.

T: Oh yeah, I get to drink this beer, too! Everything in the nose but fruitier, hoppier, a bit funkier and very dry.

M: Perfect carbonation, very dry and fruity, but a bit chalky and cloying. It's going to be hard to enjoy other beers of this style after this near perfection.

O: I'd say it's more of an American Wild than a Saison. Worth the hype but that's easy for me to say because I was able to easily acquire a bottle. I was expecting it to change my life and it didn't, but it definitely blew my mind. Fantastic beer.

Gatch, Dec 08, 2012
4.76/5  rDev +6%

Bottle poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with a small white head.
S: Smells funky! Lots of pineapple and wine barrel notes as well.
T: Wow, this tastes amazing. Reminds me of Mimosa but with tropical flavors instead of citrus. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple flavors followed by nice tartness.
M: Carbonation is spot on. Very nice. It feels juicy, with nice refreshing tartness. Clean finish.
O: I can't decide which is my number one but this just earned a top spot in my HF list, up there with Mimosa and Damon. Reminds me a lot of Mimosa, which is definitely a good thing.

standardcherry, Dec 08, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours light brown with a big frothy off white head. Great retention and good spotty lacing down the glass.

Lots of funk in the nose. Some citrus fruits combine with brett to form the aroma backbone. Can't really smell any wine barrel.

Very fruity and funky taste as well. I get some white wine components that were absent in the aroma. Good grape and orange notes along with brett and a few spices. Very smooth throughout as no one component overpowers. Not very sour at all, just funky.

Medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. A little bit slick and oily and goes down smooth.

Very well made beer, but not worth giving up an arm and a leg so thanks to chippo for the great trade. For Hill Farmstead frame of reference, I enjoyed this more than Mimosa, but still not anywhere as good as b3 Flora.

jmarsh123, Dec 06, 2012
4.59/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to Lawson's sniffer

A: different throughout dark almost brown toward the top with some dark golden honey color toward the bottom with a white fluffy head. It is quite cloudy and almost completely opaque

S: you can really smell that barnyard funk from the yeast it is quite pungent there is lots of citrus smell as well mostly oranges. There is also clear hints of oak and white wine scents to round out the smell.

T: it tastes juicy with citrus and orange flavor really coming through with a sweet taste with that has the funky wine barrel taste. It is not really sour, rather there is a more fruity taste very drinkable. It is perhaps the best example of a beligan yeasty wild aged in wine barrels that I have tried.

M: clean crisp with light carbonation very easy to drink a little but oily but basically perfect for a wild ale

O: great tasting wild ale with a phenomenal mouthfeel only downside is the lack of smell and weird coloring but other then that its a really high quality offering from hfs. Yet again they know what they are doing doing drink it if you can.

Pinknuggets, Dec 05, 2012

BeerBum, Dec 05, 2012

OtisCampbell, Dec 03, 2012

Shmeal, Dec 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Poured a nice light orange with good carbonation, light white cap with some good lacing, moderate head retention leaves white rings clinging to the glass

S: Light and funky, Brett is noticed, light whiffs of baby diaper and barf with subtle hints of light citrus and passion fruits

T: The nose is somewhat misleading. Not as funky or "Bretty" as I had hoped for from a Farmhouse. With that being said, this beer was tasty as heck. Lots of pineapple, light citrus; dash of orange peel, hints of lemons and some hay, light funk is buried beneath the subtle fruit notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, very nice feel, crisp.

O: Very good. While this beer was extremely tasteful and killer on the tastebuds I was looking for a little more brett on the palate.

barleywinefiend, Dec 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a HF stem

Cloudy, hazy, gold with a huge fluffy head. Others have reported a gusher, this bottle did no such thing. phew.

There is a nice mustiness to it. There is also a fruitiness I just can't quite place. There is some funky scent in there, a band aid plastic...it all works well together, I'm not a professional at this so my descriptors may be off, but trust me...it works.

There is a lot going on here. Hops start out and a milky, tart finish follows. Again, it's hard for me to describe, but it works.

Rather creamy and well..Juicy. It's kind of like a saison on hop steroids. Feels oh so smooth in the mouth with just a touch of dryness as I swallow.

Really a fantastic beer stretching the boundaries of saison and wild ale. Really an awesome beer. I think I may have enjoyed CD 5 a touch more...but, Shaun is fucking killing it!

DaveHack, Dec 01, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to MEW for this one!
Poured into new belgian globe from 350 bottle, be careful, mine was a gusher.

a- poured a beautiful hazy golden peach, about a half inch of clean white head. I haven't seen a beer quite this color before. Nice lacing as well.

s- lots of citrus on the nose, lots of brett tartness but without the plastic or band aid smells some people associate with brett. Some hops come through as well, but the brett makes my mouth water, so on with the show...

t- first sip, holy cow, reminds me of biting into a fresh grapefruit. Lots of bright citrus tartness with the hops balancing things out well. I can't decide if I should sip and savor this or chug this right now! Amazing flavors, I can't get enough.

m- silky smooth mouthfeel, the head adds a velvet like feel to the tart flavors. Exactly what I expected.

o- this has been the best brett saison I have had. Ever. Top five beers of all time for me thus far.

SFACRKnight, Nov 30, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

This is my first beer review, and to be honest, it is only because it is necessary. I have never felt the need to give my input on a beer except while bartending or during a bottle share, until now.

The smell is a deep brett funk with a small hint of tartness.
The initial taste is huge brett, slightly bitter.
It finishes like taking a huge bite out of a Florida orange on a hot summer day at the beach with the best of friends.
Both bottles i have had were not gushers, and although this was not thr best beer i have ever tasted, it was the most interesting and pleasant one by far.

Enjoy, and happy hunting.

thezoobrew, Nov 30, 2012