Juicy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

JuicyJuicy

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Wine barrel aged New Zealand hopped saison.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-20-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Poured a nice light orange with good carbonation, light white cap with some good lacing, moderate head retention leaves white rings clinging to the glass

S: Light and funky, Brett is noticed, light whiffs of baby diaper and barf with subtle hints of light citrus and passion fruits

T: The nose is somewhat misleading. Not as funky or "Bretty" as I had hoped for from a Farmhouse. With that being said, this beer was tasty as heck. Lots of pineapple, light citrus; dash of orange peel, hints of lemons and some hay, light funk is buried beneath the subtle fruit notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, very nice feel, crisp.

O: Very good. While this beer was extremely tasteful and killer on the tastebuds I was looking for a little more brett on the palate.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a HF stem

Cloudy, hazy, gold with a huge fluffy head. Others have reported a gusher, this bottle did no such thing. phew.

There is a nice mustiness to it. There is also a fruitiness I just can't quite place. There is some funky scent in there, a band aid plastic...it all works well together, I'm not a professional at this so my descriptors may be off, but trust me...it works.

There is a lot going on here. Hops start out and a milky, tart finish follows. Again, it's hard for me to describe, but it works.

Rather creamy and well..Juicy. It's kind of like a saison on hop steroids. Feels oh so smooth in the mouth with just a touch of dryness as I swallow.

Really a fantastic beer stretching the boundaries of saison and wild ale. Really an awesome beer. I think I may have enjoyed CD 5 a touch more...but, Shaun is fucking killing it!

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to MEW for this one!
Poured into new belgian globe from 350 bottle, be careful, mine was a gusher.

a- poured a beautiful hazy golden peach, about a half inch of clean white head. I haven't seen a beer quite this color before. Nice lacing as well.

s- lots of citrus on the nose, lots of brett tartness but without the plastic or band aid smells some people associate with brett. Some hops come through as well, but the brett makes my mouth water, so on with the show...

t- first sip, holy cow, reminds me of biting into a fresh grapefruit. Lots of bright citrus tartness with the hops balancing things out well. I can't decide if I should sip and savor this or chug this right now! Amazing flavors, I can't get enough.

m- silky smooth mouthfeel, the head adds a velvet like feel to the tart flavors. Exactly what I expected.

o- this has been the best brett saison I have had. Ever. Top five beers of all time for me thus far.

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

This is my first beer review, and to be honest, it is only because it is necessary. I have never felt the need to give my input on a beer except while bartending or during a bottle share, until now.

The smell is a deep brett funk with a small hint of tartness.
The initial taste is huge brett, slightly bitter.
It finishes like taking a huge bite out of a Florida orange on a hot summer day at the beach with the best of friends.
Both bottles i have had were not gushers, and although this was not thr best beer i have ever tasted, it was the most interesting and pleasant one by far.

Enjoy, and happy hunting.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

375 mL bottle, thanks Starr!

Pours a hazy and dull golden amber with a thin off white head. Acidic aroma of lemon and wine with some leafy tropical hops and grass. Medium thick body with soft carbonation and a long lasting orange pulp/resin and leafy hop finish. Bright flavor of orange peel, lemon, grass, white wine and bready malt. Notes of Mimosa's citrus flavor are present but tempered in a welcomed way. Reminds me a lot of my favorite batches of Vautour, with the balance of grassy and lemon saison notes with the wine and orange of the barrel aging.

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to jfmamj for sending this one my way.

Beer pours a very hazy golden-orange with a big white head. Gusher alert - this started pouring out of the bottle immediately. Smell is a fantastic blend of wine barrel, brett and hops. It reminds me a lot of E. in a good way. Flavor follows the nose as all the same elements are present in wonderful balance. The wine barrel and brett hit you first, but it's got a great citrus character that emerges halfway through followed by a fairly bitter, orange-rindy hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and mouth-coating, really quite nice. Overall this is a really well-done, complex saison that's one of Hill Farmstead's best. I'd say it's right up there with CD1 and E. It kinda comes off like a junior version of Mimosa that incorporates all of its elements even better. Well done Shaun!

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle purchased at the brewery and poured / gushed into a gulden drak tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours between russet and a cloudy dirty copper penny with a 1.5 finger white crown that shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Mainly band aid and plastic (reduced quite a bit when the beer warmed up more) from the brett that comes off like a milder version of the smell that crushed stink bugs make with some tropical fruit notes (apricot, mango, tangerine, and grapefruit) from the hops. As the beer warms the stink bug juice transforms magically into a light funk level of brett. I'd give this one a 4.25 if I could so I'm rounding up a bit.

Taste: More enjoyable than the nose in my opinion. The yeast character is much more prominent and is very well integrated with the malt and hops. In addition to a light funk up front, that oh so lovely brett derived lemon note appears in the finish too. The hops definitely play a bit more of a supporting role in this beer than I expected them to. I get some white wine character similar to Nelson Sauvin in the hop profile as well, but I believe that is coming from the mimosa barrel used, since I believe it was a white wine barrel that also housed some citrus (orange rind).

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied with medium carbonation comprised of very soft billowy bubbles. Not as dry as I expected and that might actually be a good thing.

Overall: I would drink this beer constantly if I had the opportunity. What a lovely hoppy wild saison. The flavors are so well layered and compliment each other fantastically. Truly gestalt in nature. Kudos to Hill Farmstead for making such a progressive and delicious beer! The hops combined with the brett is what makes this one truly special so consuming it fresh is a big factor in having the experience I've outlined.

This is simply a beautiful beer, top to bottom. It is easily one of my top beers, if not my top beer.

It was a gusher, so be prepared with a glass. The half ounce of beer spilled on the bar was truly tragic.

This beer is listed as "0 ICUs", which means there is no "citrus zest" added to the beer. That's surprising, as the first thing you notice in the aroma is citrus fruit everywhere. The taste follows, with a barrage of oranges, apricots, and peaches. It continues and builds along with a lurking bitterness from the New Zealand hops. Towards the back end, an explosion of multi-layered Brettanomyces sensation starts, reminiscent of Orval. It finishes with a combination of that Orval-esque Brett flavor and orange citrus. It's aged in Mimosa barrels, which had 500 ICUs if I remember correctly, so the fruit flavors that I was lucky enough to taste in Mimosa are certainly present in Shaun Hill's "mini-Mimosa" here in Juicy.

Don't take any of this to mean that the beer is one-note citrus. It's not. Between the sufficient amount of hops to keep a lurking bitterness, the intricate flavoring of Brettanomyces in the back end, and the citrus flavor, it combines to make a truly world-class and wonderful beer. Everyone was absolutely blown away by this beer. It'd be on my short "desert island" list for sure.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle thanks to ILOVESTOUTS, poured into a Hill Farmstead glass.

Pour: Deep, hazy blood orange. Body is nearly radient with color. A really nice two finger, off white head forms. The head hangs around for a little while, eventually leaving lots of sticky lacing, and a film.

Smell: Funk to start which is then overpowered by a wealth of juicy grapefruits and mangos. Some lemon zest. A deep must throughout the nose. Some white wine and oak at the end.

Taste: Up front is a HUGE burst of grapefruit, passion fruit, grape must, and mangos. A really clean funk accompanies along with a refreshing tartness. The wine barrel presence is quite evident throughout, and provides a distinct oakeyness. A slight bitterness comes out at the end in the form of citrus juice, along with a slightly bready sweetness. The finish is dry with oak.

Mouthfeel: Well, the feel is... juicy. Clean tartness that is not puckering, but very refreshing. Medium bodied. The dry finish is incredibly refreshing. This beer is a sipper, simply because there is SO much going on in taste.

Overall: This is the new best beer I've ever had. I'm not sure this even needs age, because I don't see how it can improve. Perfection.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Orange body, slight haze, good amount of sediment floating around, big 3 finger white head.

S - Funk, brett, white wine, lemon, tart.

T - Orange, lemon, white/red wine, oak, a touch bready, slightly tart. A lot of orange in the finish. Not as tart as the nose would suggest.

M - Medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation.

Great stuff. Best HF (or any) saison I have tried so far. As others have noted it was a gusher, have a glass ready

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Happy Thanksgiving! 375ml bottle 8 days after release poured into HF stemware. Gushes out so be ready with your glass upon opening.

A: Burnt sunset orange - it looks Juicy! More than an finger of off white foam dissipating to half a finger or so that remains. Nice chunks of lacing even early on. Cloudy, opaqueness with bits of yeast and other barrel buddies settling to bottom. Tiny bubbles frolic.

S: Funky and bright. Citrus/lemon zest aromas of the NZ (riwaka?) hops. Musty but invogorating as opposed to dank. Orange! Perhaps it's Mimosa lineage coming through? Either way it's fantastic.

T: Tart, but not sour per se. Strong citrus flavors. Slight peachiness? A blast of yeast and brett appear mid palate and meld well with the creeping bitterness. A lot going on here, but somehow Shaun and Co. have managed to optimize and it comes off flawlessly. Delicious.

M: Refreshingly, zesty, light at first. Slight creaminess weaving with some dryness as the finish approaches. Upon swallowing your mouth and mind want another sip! Never becomes heavy, cloying or overbearing.

O: Saison? American Wild Ale? I'd say some where in between and encompassing the best of both worlds. What can I say that hasn't been said of HF. I'm so happy I live in New England. I haven't had Ann, but I probably prefer this over Mimosa. If you get the chance to drink Juicy do it--early and often!

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

My favorite of Shaun's saisons/wilds yet. A fantastic mix of Belgian saison and an American wild - It certainly crosses stylistic lines with ease.

Warning!! This is a gusher! I lost about a half an ounce of this liquid gold and after tasting it I was in mourning for the rest of the evening;)

A bright orange glowing liquid when my snifter is held up to the light. Bubbles are supercharged to begin with before quickly taming down. A thin white head is left on the glass with a slight sticky lace from the preponderance of New Zealand hops used balanced perfectly with lightly roasted malt.

Wow! Holy shit!!! I can't believe that this beer doesn't contain fruit!!! Nose of tangerine, lemon, apricot, peach. Damn!

The taste follows through on the nose with the best aspects of so many great beers present. The best use of Brett since Orval. Fou' Foune juiciness (I swear there must be apricots or peaches in this, the mustiness of Fantome Saison and Consecration's currents and sombiosis all at once! And then the hops just scream citrus!!

Mouthfeel is spritzy with a high level of carbonation,but it dries out nicely and is very more-ish.

Overall this is another masterpiece from Mr. Hill.

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »