Edith - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SFLpunk on 09-03-2010

Edith (1897-1992) was our grandfather’s sister, and Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this black saison is crafted from American malted barley, German roasted malts, European hops, our farmhouse yeast, and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edith.
to view more.
Ratings: 341 | Reviews: 49
4.07/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle date Nov. 2014

L - Pours a dark, watery, brown color with a tan one finger head. Good lacing and retention.

S - Lots of brett going on here with a smattering of lemon juice and dark malts.

T - Nice tart sour fruits of lemons, strawberries and apricots. Light dark malts to give it some base. The end has a light hop bitterness. Such a simple, straightforward taste.

F - Light bodied and medium carbonation. Has a dry finish. The body really lets the flavors dance around.

O - Such an odd specimen this dark saison is. It is a confusing style as your mind thinks one thing and the taste is completely different. I'd gladly take a few more of these.

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Really not a fan of Dark Saisons

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Please, everyone, just stop making dark saisons. They are not tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Toasty, malty, sour. Super nice blend of flavors. Not a big saison fan, but really enjoyed this one.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Interesting and flavorful with a nice tartness to it. Glad this beer is back in the rotation.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice blend of malts, barley and Brett.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium brown pour that settles into the glass with a dark brown body and a light tan head. Lots of sticky head residue all over the glass. Aroma includes roasted malt, sour funk, some earthy cocoa, and hints of white grape. Very complex nose. I was expecting dark roastiness to dominate with some peppery flavors mixed in, but this one has a prominent sour component to it. More like a dark sour with lots of earthiness, hints of cocoa, earthiness and pepper. Medium-high carbonation with a medium body. I'm not huge on dark saisons, but this one is a whole other animal. Huge flavor and tartness, which makes this more than just a standard dark saison.

3.04/5  rDev -25.7%

Just to clarify for anyone reading about infections in this beer, it isn't. Hill Farmstead Saisons are typically tart to sour and always funky. That being said, I found that the dark malts did not work for my palette along with the citrus, fruit, and herbal aromas from the yeast. It just never came together as a cohesive beer for me. It was an interesting challenge to finish the glass because I wanted to study and experience the beer due to all the praise it has received, but I think this would be better without some of the conflicting flavors such as the dark chocolate bitterness I tasted in the finish with the acid. It does get better at room temp, but it is not my cup of tea, er, beer.

4.17/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed with Three Lions from a 750 ml. 6.5 ABV.
Look: Very dark indeed, rich dark brown with a almost Kahlua like head, no sorry more like Bailey's. Actually looks a lot like a completely settled Guinness. Nice lacing!
Smell: Brett!...That is all!! Maybe just maybe a hint of lemon. Three Lions is getting Chocolate. I'm not and its the same bottle. Either the color is tricking his brain or my nose is missing something. I'll bet on the latter! After burying my nose in the glass I found it. Really hidden by the Brett. Another fruit going on maybe a combo because I just can't place it.
taste: not sure what I think about this. It's super funky and finishes with a smoked slightly burnt wet expensive coffee ground taste. It's the inbetween that has me confused. You know what there is no middle. Fruits up front Lemon, apricot, peach, some plumb, pluot? Malted bitterness at the end. I can't pan it. It's not terrible at all but I just don't get it.
Feel: It's exceptional! I think it nails it. Good zest, good finish. I think this beer proves Shaun is a Jedi! This beer makes no sense but I would take two more for the feel alone. Even after sometime away my mouth feels like I was eating candy at campfire. I think he enjoys fucking with us! To that I say Cheers because you can!
Overall: my overall # is less than the sum of the parts. Why? Well I just don't get it. I'll by it again just to see it's either mad scientist or a fluke! I'm betting the former. The beer is really not for me hence the lower overall but it hit what I think he was going for.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split with Hab11.
Appearance: Well...as it was pouring out of the bottle this beer looked rather thin and light. Now that it is In the glass it appears quote dark and not thin at all. Very nice one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates to a lingering quarter finger head. Excellent carbonation. Had been warned about these bottles being gushes but I had no problem thankfully. Really nice lacing left behind by all that carbonation.
Smell: well there's brett. There's brett and then some more brett. Then there's chocolate. Lemons, funk, chocolate. Okay then. Interesting style. Haven't had a dark saison before. Some dark fruits like plums or cherries mixed in with stone fruit like apricots. Quite complex.
Taste: Umm what? My first reaction was 'I don't like it.' This is just plain weird. For what it is, a dark saison, I think it is very well done but I definitely don't care for the style. Sour fruity chocolate? Is that a thing? Stone fruit sweet/tart with a bitter chocolate finish. What is going on? My taste buds and brain are confused. If there were no chocolate malts or barley this would be an incredible saison. I don't care for this. How do I rate it though? It's very well done but I don't want to drink the rest of my glass.
Feel: hmm. I puckered which is a good result for a brett beer. Great carbonation. Not thin but not chewy. The mouth on this beer is the only part of this beer that makes sense to me.
Overall: it's going to be hard to rate this beer and not the style. Overall I simply don't get it. I really like stouts and I would drink brett saisons all day buy I don't see the need to mix them. It's like a black ipa...why? I don't get it. Would I guy this again? Nope. If you happen to like the style though I think it was extremely well crafted. No off flavors or anything like that. Shaun produced most likely what he set out to make but it's not for me. Damn I just looked at my glass and realize that I have well over half left. Time to man up and get ready for the next one.

2.68/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Gusher. Did not enjoy this.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Honestly, if Hill Farmstead didn't make it, say Sierra Nevada did, would people think it's that great? It's an odd combo that doesn't taste or finish well IMO

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Interesting. Almost like a sour stout, but with a very light mouth feel.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at the Hill itself a couple weeks ago. Label lists bottling date as 11-2014 and the ABV at 6.5%. Split at a tasting and reviewed from notes.

A - Slight gusher when opened. Dark brown/pretty much black pour. Beige head puffs up to a couple fingers, eventually reducing to a thick ring and spotty cap.

S - Tart dark+light fruits, brett, farmy must. Kinda simple but expected/good as usual HF saison, really not getting much 'dark'ness here though.

T - Some slight roast and chocolate now noticeable but really not much going on for dark qualities. Farmy lactic tartness, still brings an interesting mix of bretty light fruits (lemon, peach, apple) and dark fruits that are reminiscent of red wine grapes. Good oak barrel, farmy yeasts and brett.

M - Kinda big-feeling body, good carbonation, decent tart brett presence without overpowering.

O - The 'dark' roast/chocolate flavors are kept subtle which is probably for the best, other than that this is pretty standard HF saison fare - not a bad thing but this doesn't really come off as standout, other than the fact that it is a solid (the only solid?) example of a dark bretty farmhouse ale.

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle sealed with pressure cap.

bottle date of 11/2014.

poured into HF wine stem.

Appearance: black bodied beer with light beige / khaki colored head. Fantastic retention is displayed with a lingering head on top of the black bodied beer. Creamy and silky looking head on the beer. Eventually, the beer drops down to a thin cap and some spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: chocolatey and smokey malts that have a pretty big presence in the nose; contributing a moderate sweetness. Fruity and slightly spicy yeast that brings loads of dark fruits like that of a malty belgian dark strong ale. This has alot of mineral character and earthiness. Hint of leather and oak. This beer has a nose that is very complex and layered; very aeromatic and pleasing. I have never smelt anything like this it is very interesting. I could smell beer this all day long.

Taste: What hell just happened? Every sip I anticipate tasting some sweet malts, but the sweetness is no where to be found, it is almost like trickery of my senses. I expect a moderatly sweet saison judging by the nose, but the sweetness just isnt there in the flavor profile. The sweetness that should be there is dominated by the tartness found in the beer. This beer has a mild almost moderate tartness that tastes like red grapes, berries, cherries, with a decent dose of lemon and citrusy character. Lots of tannins, oak, and signature Hill Farmstead funk. The funk is slightly leathery, earthy, it also has a hint of fruity esters. Hint of smoke and slight roast in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation levels. Nice creamy carbonation. Very drinkable which is a surprise considering how robust the aroma and flavor profiles are of this beer. As this beer warms up the body thins slightly and the carbonation goes from creamy to silky.

Overall: This black saison is so different and unique than any saison that I have had. I have only tried a handful of black saisons, but this is a very memorable beer for sure. It is just like a saison, an oude bruin, and a malty dark belgian ale got rolled into a single beer. Then the brett in the beer makes the mouthfeel absolutely outstanding. Edith is probably my favorite black saison that I have drank; Saint Somewhere Surge being in close in second place compared to Edith. Such an original and creative beer; Shawn Hill is a master of brewing beers like this!

4.64/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a dark brown to black color.

The aroma is complex of berry forward red wine, tart black cherry, a touch of balsamic, roasted malt sweetness.

The flavor follows with that tart cranberry juice and cherry note up front. However, it's restrained and towards medium tartness. The middle has a handful of blackberry, raspberry, all kinds of slightly tart and sweet berries. Then onto a surprisingly robust roasted character with cocoa, milk chocolate, and even towards the richness of heavy roasted coffee or charcoal.

I really enjoy this "sour porter/stout" style. This is one of the best I've had. It tastes maybe in between an oud bruin and a porter. This is exceptionally interesting and delicious as a full palate experience.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I base my reviews off of the style, and this dark saison is spot on. Everything about this screams Hill Farmstead Arthur with the exceptions of: its black obviously. Roastiness in the nose, lots of lemon here. Its tart on the finish and delightful. I'm not a huge fan of dark beers that are hoppy or tart mainly because they are an oxymoron to me. But Edith is certainly well deserving of my attention. 2014 Vintage reviewed.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received via trade. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass. Shared with Paul.

The beer is dark mahogany with a thick, khaki head. The aroma is enticing, with scents of oak, funk, dark fruits, spice. Flavors include red wine, oak tannins, brett, yeast, raisins, plums. Wonderfully complex and fabulous. No surprise there, as Hill Farmstead "keeps comin' up with funky ass shit like every single day" ...Old school reference. Anyhow...I thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm not usually as much of a fan of the darker saisons and wilds, but Edith was a lovely beer. Recommended fo sho.

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%

Pour is dark with a tan head. Nose is very light, lemon and citrus with a faint roast. Taste is extremely strong lemon, fairly sour and citrusy. There is a faint roast to it. Strong carbonation and a silky body and puckering citric acid. Very bright citrus, so different than what I thought.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours deep dark brown / near-black with large beige / tan head. Aroma brings out subtle tangy notes, earth, and some musty farmhouse notes. Flavor brings out loads of tangy notes, dark musty farmhouse notes, and earth. Lightly citric and earthy on the finish. Nicely balanced with no jagged edges. Characterized mostly by earthy notes and lightly citric notes.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from 750 ml (1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz.) bottle
Bottled 280313
Served in a tulip

Big thanks to MrDarcy for bringing this back from a trip to Vermont.

Fantastic appearance. The beer poured a cola-like shade of brown and was topped by a super dense and creamy, four-fingered, khaki colored head. The crown slowly faded to a clumps of froth and left a thick curtain of lacing on the far side of the glass and clingy streaks on the near.

Initially, the aroma was very much like an American wild ale. Super brett forward. Crisp, fruity and tart with strong berry-like notes. Touch of oak and funk. Later, the nose turned much more saison-like. Belgian yeast notes lent a crisp, clean and dry quality. Slightly musty with indications of fresh cut grass and hay. Strong powdery notes also came out as the beer warmed, along with a touch of roast. Overall, really dynamic and unique.

The flavor profile was an equal mix of wild ale and saison. Bready, crackery malts appeared on the front end. Tart, oaky, fruity and funky with strong berry-like notes. Touch of red wine. There was a crisp, Belgian yeastiness in the center. Moderately spicy. Some hay and must were detectible. The "dark" aspects of this beer did not appear until the finish. Roasted and toasted malts were detectible. Crisp, oaky, sour notes also carried into the finish. Fairly acidic with a good dose of brett and funk. With time, the dry, woody, tannic, red wine-like quality intensified.

On the palate, the beer was super creamy with a fine yet zippy effervescence. Smooth, supple and pillowy soft on the palate.

Hill Farmstead's Edith was far and away the best brett-infused saison I have had to date. The brett notes added a ton of complexity and were very well integrated into the flavor profile. This beer definitely kept me on my toes!

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle pour at the DTLA bottle share held at Beer Belly in Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks to erichxedge for sharing this one.

Bottled 3/28/13.

Pours a clear dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, earth, yeast, and Brett aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour Brett, funk, and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a tasty Brett and funk presence.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Dark, dark brown in color with a frothy 3 fingers of mocha head that shows good staying power with lots of foamy lacing.

S - Super bretty barnyard funk, dirty and earthy. Chocolate and cocoa powder, cherries, berries and raspberries.

T - Oaky...woody. Cherries and cocoa, quite bitter, tobacco, smoky and funky.

M - funky, medium body with lowish foamy carbonation.

O - Very good and interesting saison. Fairly unique. Would definitely like to have this one again.

4.09/5  rDev 0%

pour was black. big cocoa head filled the glass. dark all around

sweet dark fruit, tart and sweet. slightly one dimensional.

sweet and tart dark fruit. very one dimensional and simple. judging from earlier reviews this had more saison characteristics but that is not the case now. barely any funk, zest, spice, etc. but, it was delicious.

light body, mild to moderate carbonation.

possibly infected, but in a great way. this was adored by everyone.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 280313. Poured in to HF stemmed tulip.

A - Poured dark brown, settled black with 2 fingers of light brown head.

S - Funk/tartness dominate the nose. Some lemon, earthy notes and just a hint of roast.

T - Tart up front with some funk that immediately gives way to roast and chocolate notes. A touch of lemon in the background with yeast esters and spice.

M - Medium body. Slight creaminess. Medium carbonation.

to view more.