Edith - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-25-2013

Edith (1897-1992) was our grandfather’s sister, and Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this black saison is crafted from American malted barley, German roasted malts, European hops, our farmhouse yeast, and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edith.
2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Please, everyone, just stop making dark saisons. They are not tasty.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Toasty, malty, sour. Super nice blend of flavors. Not a big saison fan, but really enjoyed this one.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Interesting and flavorful with a nice tartness to it. Glad this beer is back in the rotation.

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

4.17/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice blend of malts, broad red abrley and Brett.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium brown pour that settles into the glass with a dark brown body and a light tan head. Lots of sticky head residue all over the glass. Aroma includes roasted malt, sour funk, some earthy cocoa, and hints of white grape. Very complex nose. I was expecting dark roastiness to dominate with some peppery flavors mixed in, but this one has a prominent sour component to it. More like a dark sour with lots of earthiness, hints of cocoa, earthiness and pepper. Medium-high carbonation with a medium body. I'm not huge on dark saisons, but this one is a whole other animal. Huge flavor and tartness, which makes this more than just a standard dark saison.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.04/5  rDev -25.7%

Just to clarify for anyone reading about infections in this beer, it isn't. Hill Farmstead Saisons are typically tart to sour and always funky. That being said, I found that the dark malts did not work for my palette along with the citrus, fruit, and herbal aromas from the yeast. It just never came together as a cohesive beer for me. It was an interesting challenge to finish the glass because I wanted to study and experience the beer due to all the praise it has received, but I think this would be better without some of the conflicting flavors such as the dark chocolate bitterness I tasted in the finish with the acid. It does get better at room temp, but it is not my cup of tea, er, beer.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

4.17/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed with Three Lions from a 750 ml. 6.5 ABV.
Look: Very dark indeed, rich dark brown with a almost Kahlua like head, no sorry more like Bailey's. Actually looks a lot like a completely settled Guinness. Nice lacing!
Smell: Brett!...That is all!! Maybe just maybe a hint of lemon. Three Lions is getting Chocolate. I'm not and its the same bottle. Either the color is tricking his brain or my nose is missing something. I'll bet on the latter! After burying my nose in the glass I found it. Really hidden by the Brett. Another fruit going on maybe a combo because I just can't place it.
taste: not sure what I think about this. It's super funky and finishes with a smoked slightly burnt wet expensive coffee ground taste. It's the inbetween that has me confused. You know what there is no middle. Fruits up front Lemon, apricot, peach, some plumb, pluot? Malted bitterness at the end. I can't pan it. It's not terrible at all but I just don't get it.
Feel: It's exceptional! I think it nails it. Good zest, good finish. I think this beer proves Shaun is a Jedi! This beer makes no sense but I would take two more for the feel alone. Even after sometime away my mouth feels like I was eating candy at campfire. I think he enjoys fucking with us! To that I say Cheers because you can!
Overall: my overall # is less than the sum of the parts. Why? Well I just don't get it. I'll by it again just to see it's either mad scientist or a fluke! I'm betting the former. The beer is really not for me hence the lower overall but it hit what I think he was going for.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split with Hab11.
Appearance: Well...as it was pouring out of the bottle this beer looked rather thin and light. Now that it is In the glass it appears quote dark and not thin at all. Very nice one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates to a lingering quarter finger head. Excellent carbonation. Had been warned about these bottles being gushes but I had no problem thankfully. Really nice lacing left behind by all that carbonation.
Smell: well there's brett. There's brett and then some more brett. Then there's chocolate. Lemons, funk, chocolate. Okay then. Interesting style. Haven't had a dark saison before. Some dark fruits like plums or cherries mixed in with stone fruit like apricots. Quite complex.
Taste: Umm what? My first reaction was 'I don't like it.' This is just plain weird. For what it is, a dark saison, I think it is very well done but I definitely don't care for the style. Sour fruity chocolate? Is that a thing? Stone fruit sweet/tart with a bitter chocolate finish. What is going on? My taste buds and brain are confused. If there were no chocolate malts or barley this would be an incredible saison. I don't care for this. How do I rate it though? It's very well done but I don't want to drink the rest of my glass.
Feel: hmm. I puckered which is a good result for a brett beer. Great carbonation. Not thin but not chewy. The mouth on this beer is the only part of this beer that makes sense to me.
Overall: it's going to be hard to rate this beer and not the style. Overall I simply don't get it. I really like stouts and I would drink brett saisons all day buy I don't see the need to mix them. It's like a black ipa...why? I don't get it. Would I guy this again? Nope. If you happen to like the style though I think it was extremely well crafted. No off flavors or anything like that. Shaun produced most likely what he set out to make but it's not for me. Damn I just looked at my glass and realize that I have well over half left. Time to man up and get ready for the next one.

Edith from Hill Farmstead Brewery