Edith - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-25-2013

Edith (1897-1992) was our grandfather’s sister, and Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this black saison is crafted from American malted barley, German roasted malts, European hops, our farmhouse yeast, and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edith.
4.17/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed with Three Lions from a 750 ml. 6.5 ABV.
Look: Very dark indeed, rich dark brown with a almost Kahlua like head, no sorry more like Bailey's. Actually looks a lot like a completely settled Guinness. Nice lacing!
Smell: Brett!...That is all!! Maybe just maybe a hint of lemon. Three Lions is getting Chocolate. I'm not and its the same bottle. Either the color is tricking his brain or my nose is missing something. I'll bet on the latter! After burying my nose in the glass I found it. Really hidden by the Brett. Another fruit going on maybe a combo because I just can't place it.
taste: not sure what I think about this. It's super funky and finishes with a smoked slightly burnt wet expensive coffee ground taste. It's the inbetween that has me confused. You know what there is no middle. Fruits up front Lemon, apricot, peach, some plumb, pluot? Malted bitterness at the end. I can't pan it. It's not terrible at all but I just don't get it.
Feel: It's exceptional! I think it nails it. Good zest, good finish. I think this beer proves Shaun is a Jedi! This beer makes no sense but I would take two more for the feel alone. Even after sometime away my mouth feels like I was eating candy at campfire. I think he enjoys fucking with us! To that I say Cheers because you can!
Overall: my overall # is less than the sum of the parts. Why? Well I just don't get it. I'll by it again just to see it's either mad scientist or a fluke! I'm betting the former. The beer is really not for me hence the lower overall but it hit what I think he was going for.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split with Hab11.
Appearance: Well...as it was pouring out of the bottle this beer looked rather thin and light. Now that it is In the glass it appears quote dark and not thin at all. Very nice one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates to a lingering quarter finger head. Excellent carbonation. Had been warned about these bottles being gushes but I had no problem thankfully. Really nice lacing left behind by all that carbonation.
Smell: well there's brett. There's brett and then some more brett. Then there's chocolate. Lemons, funk, chocolate. Okay then. Interesting style. Haven't had a dark saison before. Some dark fruits like plums or cherries mixed in with stone fruit like apricots. Quite complex.
Taste: Umm what? My first reaction was 'I don't like it.' This is just plain weird. For what it is, a dark saison, I think it is very well done but I definitely don't care for the style. Sour fruity chocolate? Is that a thing? Stone fruit sweet/tart with a bitter chocolate finish. What is going on? My taste buds and brain are confused. If there were no chocolate malts or barley this would be an incredible saison. I don't care for this. How do I rate it though? It's very well done but I don't want to drink the rest of my glass.
Feel: hmm. I puckered which is a good result for a brett beer. Great carbonation. Not thin but not chewy. The mouth on this beer is the only part of this beer that makes sense to me.
Overall: it's going to be hard to rate this beer and not the style. Overall I simply don't get it. I really like stouts and I would drink brett saisons all day buy I don't see the need to mix them. It's like a black ipa...why? I don't get it. Would I guy this again? Nope. If you happen to like the style though I think it was extremely well crafted. No off flavors or anything like that. Shaun produced most likely what he set out to make but it's not for me. Damn I just looked at my glass and realize that I have well over half left. Time to man up and get ready for the next one.

2.68/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Gusher. Might be a bad bottle? Pretty fresh though.

4.11/5  rDev +0.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

3.54/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Honestly, if Hill Farmstead didn't make it, say Sierra Nevada did, would people think it's that great? It's an odd combo that doesn't taste or finish well IMO

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Interesting. Almost like a sour stout, but with a very light mouth feel.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at the Hill itself a couple weeks ago. Label lists bottling date as 11-2014 and the ABV at 6.5%. Split at a tasting and reviewed from notes.

A - Slight gusher when opened. Dark brown/pretty much black pour. Beige head puffs up to a couple fingers, eventually reducing to a thick ring and spotty cap.

S - Tart dark+light fruits, brett, farmy must. Kinda simple but expected/good as usual HF saison, really not getting much 'dark'ness here though.

T - Some slight roast and chocolate now noticeable but really not much going on for dark qualities. Farmy lactic tartness, still brings an interesting mix of bretty light fruits (lemon, peach, apple) and dark fruits that are reminiscent of red wine grapes. Good oak barrel, farmy yeasts and brett.

M - Kinda big-feeling body, good carbonation, decent tart brett presence without overpowering.

O - The 'dark' roast/chocolate flavors are kept subtle which is probably for the best, other than that this is pretty standard HF saison fare - not a bad thing but this doesn't really come off as standout, other than the fact that it is a solid (the only solid?) example of a dark bretty farmhouse ale.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%