Join our email list →

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SFLpunk on 09-03-2010

Edith (1897-1992) was our grandfather’s sister, and Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this black saison is crafted from American malted barley, German roasted malts, European hops, our farmhouse yeast, and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edith.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 750 mL bottle chilled and poured into my new Hill Farmstead tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a really nice, medium brown, one finger fluffy head. Leaves a really spectacular lacing and clings to the glass nicely. Dark brown in color.

Aroma: Despite the dark color, the aroma is definitely that of a Hill Farmstead saison. Light lemon zest, green apple, and some barnyard funk. A touch of chocolate and grassy character as well. Nice balance of tartness, funk and a strong malt bill.

Taste: Really nice bright burst of lemon and grassy notes upfront. I'm really surprised how much the tartness stands out in this. There is definitely some roasted chocolate and light caramel from the malt but it is definitely more in the background. Some light bittering hops at the end of each sip. Really tasty and refreshing. The complexities really start to come out as this warms.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with some nice carbonation. Nice effervescence throughout.

Overall, this batch of Edith is probably my favorite non barrel aged saison from Hill Farmstead since the more tart versions of Arthur. Really nice balance of tartness, malt character and funk. Really refreshing and complex.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a dark brown/black hue with a one finger head. Not as dark as a stout but dark nonetheless.

Just a hint of clove in the nose followed by a dab of hops. Interesting combination.

Taste is full of roasted coffee and slight clove/wheat upfront. Not as viscous as a black ipa or stout.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering roasted malt and clove notes. Not much else of note.

I see a bit of overlap here between styles. Regardless, another fine, drinkable creation.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap all over fine VT bars this past weekend from Waterbury to Burlington.

This pours looking just like a black IPA, it is a dark chocolate auburn, but not opaque, with a one finger light taupe head. The hop aroma is impressive, I was salivating for the few minutes I let this one sit, just inhaling pine and grapefruit. I am surprised to not pick up too much of a wheaty profile, given the description, but more of a slight sweet and roasted quality instead.

My first sip was a total fullfillment of my expectations of my first Hill brew. My first pint at The Reservoir was the coldest, and left me with the impression of a straight black IPA. However, the following pints over the course of the weekend I let warm, which allowed the characteristics of the wheat come through. Either way, this one begins with citrus and pine up front and a nice peppery spice in the finish. This one definitely leans heavier on the side of IPA than wheat ale, as the wheat is only playing a supporting role to the rest of the beer.

I must have had around 4 pints of Edith, so the drinkability is pretty high. The finish is bitter, but not mouth puckering. I am very excited that this was my first beer from Hill, it set the stage really well for the rest of his brews I enjoyed over the weekend.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill in Burlington.$4 for a 6 oz pour.

Appears super dark with a slight reddish halo. Loose tan head. Nice lacing.

Big hop aroma bitter with a touch of sweetness.

Taste is hop forward and pine and slightly bitter.

Active carb with a medium body

overall interesting but lacking the something special that I was hoping for from my first Hill Farmstead brew. It won't stop me from seeking out their other beer though.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz pour at The Farmhouse Tap & Grill.

Listed as a hoppy dark-wheat ale made with organic wheat from Butternut Farm.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brown-black with lots of coffee-tan colored foamy head with great retention.

Nose: Lots and lots of piney hops layered on top of some faint yeast spice and a little banana peel.

Palate: Crisp and clean up front with lots of bitterness straight-away. Citrus layered on banana and a little white pepper, layered on a little black patent malt like bitterness finished off by lots and lots of sticky hops. As it warms, more of the wheat starts to show a lot more.

Notes: Very well made, another home-run for one of VT's newest breweries. Cold it was very similar to James Black Ale, but as it warms I started to see more and more of the dark wheat malt coming out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last