Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged)Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.70% ABV

Aged in a mixture of Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace barrels.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-22-2013)

SuperHop18, Jul 17, 2014

DaPan, Dec 29, 2013

speaking_for_trees, Dec 29, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

Big props to nick for hooking me up with a bottle in a math trade.

Gonna stray away from my usual way of reviewing. I wasn't going to review this beer, I told myself I was gonna be selfish with everything I get from the math bif, just sit back and enjoy a full beer without trying to pick out every detail to review. I wasn't going to share anything because I think there's something special about working your way through an entire bottle, like a long dance.

This is one of those beers. I came to read up on it, and with more gots than wants and 30 something reviews I had to write something. At 500ml it's not a very difficult task to drink through this alone, infact it may not be enough!

I'm a big advocate of 8-9% being the sweet spot for ba beers and looking at the base beer I'd say this guy is around there (although for all I know it can be much hight and drinks like a champ)

And the taste? Incredible. Washing it across the tongue brings out so many different flavors it's quite ridiculous actually. This beer is right uptime alley, it's got everything I want and I'm loving it. It feels like this beer was brewed for my taste buds. Mouthfeel is spot on, and probably a major player of why this guy is tastin so great.

Unfortunatly it's very easy to finish this, what now seems like the tinniest bottle possible alone, and I encourage you to do the same. Spend an evening with a bottle of this guy, it's the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Nick u rocked my world with this one. The next bottle I get Ill try to share... maybe

And damn u shaun for living up to the hype and making beer this delicious.

KevSal, Aug 13, 2013

500ml bottle into a Lawson's snifter

A: Jet black. The only thing that keeps this beer from being perfect is the lack of head and retention.

S: Amazing. Light coffee, huge barrel. Smells exactly like a bourbon barrel stout should.

T: Barrel characteristics are very present, but so smooth. rye is there, but subtle. I don't know how this beer can be this smooth on the taste, with so much barrel characteristics.

M: Perfect. Not too heavy, and so smooth.

O: Birth of tragedy has been my favorite HF beer since I got into craft beer. I need to try this again to be sure, but it might be better. Get this beer however you can. It's a lot better than last year's Madeira version.

DonFrap, Aug 02, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

500ml bottle (I think) split 2 ways into a wine glass.

Appearance: Dark tan head, good lacing despite the legginess. Black.

Smell: Sharply effervescent and boozy with tons of bourbon and cookie and malt aromas. Vanilla waifer drenched in caramel, some raisin. Distant echo of coffee. Powerful and perfect.

Taste: Even better than it smells. I hate giving out 5s but there is no flaw here. Just amazing. Perfectly melded coffee, infinitely deep bourbon, oak and malt. Tastes like caramel, has a tiny note of soy sauce in the background, some good, raisiny, aromatic espresso... There's a lot more going on here, and it's all amazing.

Mouthfeel: Full side of medium bodied; not really full bodied, but so creamy that it leaves a thickish impression. Neither dry nor sugary finish; just right.

Overall: There's nothing else you could ask for in s barrel aged stout.

Pahn, Oct 27, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

ACB, Sep 05, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: 500 mL bottle chilled and poured into my Hill Farmstead tulip glass. Big thanks to Infinityontrial for picking me up a bottle.

Appearance: Pours a decent, medium to dark brown head that holds a pretty thick lacing. Dark brown to black in color.

Aroma: Light roasted coffee and dark chocolate upfront. Some light caramel and bourbon barrel notes add a nice backing to the strong malt backbone. There is some booze but it integrates almost perfectly in the base.

Taste: Coffee and chocolate fudge upfront create a really nice background for the barrel notes. Lots of marshmallow, oak, and bourbon tones. The barrel is really strong in this compared to other Hill Farmstead beers, yet it remains really balanced.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and smooth. Velvety on the tongue with some nice carbonation.

Overall, this might be my new favorite barrel aged Hill Farmstead stout. Incredible balance, great barrel tones, and off the charts drinkability. It is difficult to stop from drinking this too quickly. The sweetness and bourbon from the barrel is spot on and really takes a great beer to the next level. I had the other version of GoM and this version is definitely superior.

Gosox8787, Jul 31, 2013