Single Malt IPA - Blackfoot River Brewing Company

Single Malt IPA
No picture uploaded.

Blackfoot River Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

Just like Single Malt Scotch, our Singlemalt I.P.A. is brewed from 100% Crisp Maris Otter floor-malted barley - no specialty malts, no blending. This is our interpretation of the American/NorthWest India Pale Ale style. Singlemalt I.P.A. is generously hopped with Northwest-grown Simcoe and Cascade hops. This is our best-selling and most-beloved beer and is golden in color, with a medium-bodied malty backbone and full of hop flavor.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-15-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
zhanson88

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

I had this as my first pint at Blackfoot River this afternoon, and subsequently decided to get a growler of it before I left.

Appearance: Single Malt IPA pours a hazy golden color with half a finger of pure white head. Retention is pretty nice and a decent amount of lacing clings to the glass.

Smell: I definitely get some malts up front, but then a decent amount of citrus and dank hops. Pretty good.

Taste: Fairly malty up front, with a nice amount of citrus and tropical fruitiness in middle. A good amount of dank hops on the back end. Finish is pretty juicy and sticky without a lot of lingering bitterness. I think this IPA does a pretty good job of being flavorful without having an overly bitter characteristic. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The mouthfeel is the highlight of this beer for me. Just under medium bodied with phenomenal fine carbonation. Overall, a very nice IPA that I really wish I had full time access to. Great brew by Blackfoot River, and hands down the best regular IPA brewed in the state of Montana that I've experienced to date.

Serving type: growler

03-27-2011 01:42:06 | More by zhanson88
haydukeqc

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap... many, many times. beautiful hazy golden pour.
Great hoppy aroma, but not over the top.
Well balanced taste with great hop coverage.
Smooth, medium mouth feel.
This is by far the best IPA in the state, it is smooth, drinkable, and nothing to be laughed at.

03-26-2011 21:22:02 | More by haydukeqc
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Don't know where the 'single malt' comes into play, but here it goes anyway...

This beer appears a hazy light apricot hue, with one finger of soapy white head, which renders a thin ring of lace around the glass as it quickly fades away. It smells of grapefruit and orange hops, and caramel malt. The taste is sweet citrus, and bready caramel. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, and fairly creamy, and it finishes smooth, with a soft malt and hop play date.

A very drinkable IPA, almost cask-like, fresh, and quite enjoyable.

08-02-2010 06:26:02 | More by biboergosum
Brandt

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

this beer pours out a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a one finger white head

the smell is of citrus hops both grapefruit and orange as well as a subtle malt character

the taste is again of mainly orange and grapefuit citrus hops along with a more green hop matter type flavor (maybe dry hops?) and the very faintest of malt flavors along the edges

this one finishes with a firm bitterness and a good mouthfeel with the med body of this beer. the hop florals hang in the nasal and in the mouth after the beer is gone. this is a wonderful west coast style IPA and really puts the hops to use.

11-17-2009 16:32:14 | More by Brandt
donniecuffs

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a 4oz sampling glass at a brewfest (this review is from notes written on a napkin):

A: Very nice, orange/copper color, with a thick head that lasted and laced decently.

S: Very different and interesting. Definitely picked up on citrus (grapefruit/pineapple/mango), but also picked on on oakiness, vanilla, and dare I say, whiskey. The person pouring the glass was a dopey distributor, not a brewery employee, which was regrettable, since I really want to ask a bunch of questions about this brew (e.g. "Single malt?" Did you use sherry casks from overseas, or oak?", etc.). Couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: Ditto the aroma. Not a very hoppy ipa, nor a very citrusy ipa, but a nicely-balanced ipa, with a certain oaky creaminess and smooth aftertaste that has hints of whisky. Would love to sample more of this.

M: Nice, full-bodied and creamy, with very subtle carbonation.

D: Don't know how sessionable a whisky-flavored beer is, but am willing to experiment ;-)

Well done.

09-10-2009 23:49:22 | More by donniecuffs
townsrecon

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

I think most IPA's tend to be way too bitter 100+ IBUs....Blackfoot IPA still has that crisp, refreshing, tanginess of the hops but without that I just drank a shot of gasoline feel. I had this at the Blackfoot tasting room and then again at Wee Bees in Bozeman and must chalk it up as my favorite IPA.

07-29-2009 21:51:04 | More by townsrecon
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

4th Brewery on Toby and Brenda's Big Montana Beer Adventure... We hit Blackfoot River about 10 minutes after they opened.

Poured into a standard pint while I talked shit about SmellySell for not hooking up with me while I was in Helena :-)

Very pretty sorta thick looking hazy honey golden orange brew.. good head and nice lace and cap for the entire glass..

The aroma is very fresh smelling... I love it already.. Very Citrusy with about as much balanced pale maltiness..

Flavor is oooohhh soo fresh... great crisp bitterness followed by pronounced pale malts that push forward the citric hops.. lite graininess.. with the citrus finish with a slight fruity hoppy element.. pineapple?.. simcoe?.. amarillo?... I should have asked, but this is a great IPA that I could go rounds with until it caught up with me... My only complaint would be the finish seems to die off really fast.

What amazes me about Montana Breweries is that they all seem to have taprooms... You can only legally have 48 oz's of beer per day at any taproom.. This encourages people to come in.. have a beer or 3... and inevitably they leave with growlers. Just in the 45 minutes or so that we were there, we saw at least a dozen people come in and just get their jugs filled... Young men and women... tourists.. but what was most amazing was the number of Elderly women who came in and talked beer with the pretty ladies behind the bar... This would NEVER happen with this frequency in Idaho and I make no inference that I have ANY idea about the complicated workings between MT breweries/brewpubs and the liquor board .. but I swear.. Montana has waaay more breweries/brewpubs than anybody outside of their state would expect.. and judging by the professionals I spoke with, they are okay with that... The laws may seem archaic to me/us, but they work and to an outsider, they are making more people drink better beer.

Edit: Justin... You suck :-) Next time amigo.

07-15-2009 07:58:42 | More by JohnGalt1