Firefly - Odd Side Ales

FireflyFirefly

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spike with pain.

(Beer added by: ygtbsm94 on 10-24-2013)
Reviews by BlissJunkie:

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A- Semi clear, a little bubbly. Soapy light head that disappears quickly.

S- Sweet tangy, light, fruity.

T- Sweet malt, hop infusion up front, followed with a peppery, spicy lingering grip. Weird, hot, perfume aftertaste that lingers. Not crazy, like the ingenuity/creativity.

M- Super smooth gliding down to the gullet. very nice.

O- Definitely original. Habaneros in a beer is a creative way to get even. good job!

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 FL OZ. bottle
Served in a pokal

L - It is amber in color with golden highlights. It has an inch of beige head that leaves some lacing.

S - It has a tropical and citrus fruit smell. I get a hint of the pepper.

T - The taste is loaded with tropical fruit up front. That morphs into some citrus with a grapefruit taste. The finish has a spike of heat. The pepper is just enough to let you know that it is there with no lingering burn or buildup of heat.

M - Medium

O - I hated the first one I poured a few days ago, but that was after several beers that night. This is my first taste of the day, and I have to admit that it is pretty good. The papaya gives it an IPA-like taste. So, to me, this beer tastes like a habanero IPA. The heat is not imposing and makes a nice addition to this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Firefly last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer ever since I heard that it was being bottled, I don't think I've ever had a beer with Papaya in it before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This beer has a good looking label, I like it and it goes well with the name of the beer. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and bready aromas with a light doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes nice fruity aroma with the papaya being pretty noticeable and it's mixed with a light creamy aroma that reminds me of some fruity yogurt. Towards the end comes a light hoppy aroma with no single hop aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's no noticeable hot pepper aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that really showcased those fruity papaya aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but lighter and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart a grainy, bready, and pale malt like flavors with some doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the papaya which is on the lighter side and there's also some other fruity flavors in the background. On the finish comes some hops which impart a grassy and earthy hop flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness with some habanero coming through imparting a warm and slight burning sensation in the back of my throat that builds a little over time and it's more apparent when the beer warms up a little and it had a pale malt, spicy, and light fruity aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the papaya showed up a little more.

M- Somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, lingering spicyness, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and I thought it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty decent example of a the style, but I thought some more fruity and papaya flavors would make it more fruit beer like and as it stands with the lingering burning in the back of my throat I think this beer would fit well in the pepper beer category. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the lingering spicyness would prevent me from drinking more than one, I could see it wearing on me if I decided to drink a couple of these in a row. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least the least about this beer was the lightness of the papaya and the how long the heat from the pepper lingered, I think this beer would be better if those two aspects were balanced out. I might buy a bottle of this again, but I wouldn't get a four pack and this isn't the type of beer that I would casually drink. I would recommend this beer to anyone that can handle spicier beers. All in I thought this was a nice beer and I'm happy have a chance to try it, I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but it wasn't a bad beer by any means, it just isn't that type of beer that I would drink often and I think Mayan Mocha Stout has a better heat level to it. I would put this beer on the same level as Me So Hoppy To Wheat You and it's one of my least favorite beers that they have bottled so far. I appreciate the effort but I think with a little worth this could be a pretty good beer.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%