Firefly - Odd Side Ales

FireflyFirefly

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spike with pain.

(Beer added by: ygtbsm94 on 10-24-2013)

GABrew, Jan 03, 2014

ber12, Dec 18, 2013

Fargrow, Dec 14, 2013

rkf1976, Dec 13, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Firefly last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer ever since I heard that it was being bottled, I don't think I've ever had a beer with Papaya in it before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This beer has a good looking label, I like it and it goes well with the name of the beer. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and bready aromas with a light doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes nice fruity aroma with the papaya being pretty noticeable and it's mixed with a light creamy aroma that reminds me of some fruity yogurt. Towards the end comes a light hoppy aroma with no single hop aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's no noticeable hot pepper aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that really showcased those fruity papaya aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but lighter and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart a grainy, bready, and pale malt like flavors with some doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the papaya which is on the lighter side and there's also some other fruity flavors in the background. On the finish comes some hops which impart a grassy and earthy hop flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness with some habanero coming through imparting a warm and slight burning sensation in the back of my throat that builds a little over time and it's more apparent when the beer warms up a little and it had a pale malt, spicy, and light fruity aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the papaya showed up a little more.

M- Somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, lingering spicyness, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and I thought it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty decent example of a the style, but I thought some more fruity and papaya flavors would make it more fruit beer like and as it stands with the lingering burning in the back of my throat I think this beer would fit well in the pepper beer category. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the lingering spicyness would prevent me from drinking more than one, I could see it wearing on me if I decided to drink a couple of these in a row. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least the least about this beer was the lightness of the papaya and the how long the heat from the pepper lingered, I think this beer would be better if those two aspects were balanced out. I might buy a bottle of this again, but I wouldn't get a four pack and this isn't the type of beer that I would casually drink. I would recommend this beer to anyone that can handle spicier beers. All in I thought this was a nice beer and I'm happy have a chance to try it, I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but it wasn't a bad beer by any means, it just isn't that type of beer that I would drink often and I think Mayan Mocha Stout has a better heat level to it. I would put this beer on the same level as Me So Hoppy To Wheat You and it's one of my least favorite beers that they have bottled so far. I appreciate the effort but I think with a little worth this could be a pretty good beer.

StoutHunter, Dec 12, 2013

Tracker83, Dec 11, 2013

ianpstephens, Dec 10, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: light orange color. with perfect clarity. almost no head but just a touch of foamy that quickly fades to nothing

Smell: hit up front with tropical fruits. not all a bitter hop but some hoppiness as well. slightly sweet malts

Taste: slight fruity sweetness. very tropical. then a blast of both hops and habeneros. pale malts in the background. very different from the smell but i like it better.

Mouthfeel: pretty light but not super drinkable due to pepper heat. some bitterness along with a building heat

Overall: probably one of the best pepper-pales i have had. good complexity and nice balance between bitter sweet and heat

SportsandJorts, Dec 10, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

TypsiYpsi, Dec 08, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

We crack the top on a pair, pouring a brew of toasted amber grain into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It froths up a shimmering soapy head that stands two and a half fingers tall. It glows like whole milk, retaining decently into rings and iced etchings of lacing. No haze is noted, but microflecks of sediment sit heavy, and are suspended throughout. Carbonation appears to be pervasive and active. The nose gives cloying, sugar sweet smacks of mango, papaya, pineapple, and island-fresh banana. These are supported by a base cast of pale and crystal grain, lightly citric and grassy hops, high pitched metallic twinge, vanilla sugar cookie sweetness, just whipped cream, herbal parsley essence, Runts candies, and musty grapiness. Our first impression is that the hops give surprising bite and vigor that weren’t appreciable through the aroma, with the heat coming far on the back, but not delivering the “pain” we were promised. As we sip, the taste opens with the bitter metallic leafiness of cheap citric hops, black pepper and soft booziness, raw and starchy papaya meat, crunchy pineapple rind, star fruit, pale and pseudo-wheaty grain, chalk, clean yeast, metallic and muddy mineral, and grapefruity pith. The middle washes with eucalyptus oiliness, more bready and crystal maltiness, basement muskiness, continued dirty herbalness of hops, vanilla doughnut cream, dried brown grassiness, corny adjuncts, and sour lemon zest. Finishing us off is a blend of sweeter, more approachable hoppiness in the form of light herbals, nectars, and fleshy citrics, coin, spicy black and hot pepper punch (but only as the beer warms to temperature), jalapeno seediness, slick vegetal flesh, strawberry shortcake, muddy pales, and savory sea saltiness. The aftertaste breathes of oily hops and diced habanero and chipotle chilies, graphite and mineral, enlivened bitter pale graininess, soft burnt smokiness, white rice, authentic lime juice, earthen grit, lavender florals, bloody Mary tomato and celery savoriness, and tonic water bite. The body is light to medium, with a bit of flighty wateriness around its edges. Carbonation is medium to high, with the bubbles forming bigger in the mouth than they seem like they should. Each sip gives okay slurp and smack, with minimal cream or froth. The mouth is wet and coated, with light metallic astringency along the palate, but no real dryness of puck ever comes of it. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well for what it is.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was its flavoring. We were actually surprised as soon as we sipped this one, as the nose kind of betrays you into thinking this will be a sweet and somewhat spicy beer, akin to Mango Magnifico. Rather, you are presented with an instantly bittering beverage, thanks to the dirty, muddy, overly earthy hops utilized throughout. While Mango definitely had its pitfalls, they may be overcompensating here, going so far as to eliminate the majority of any fruity sweetness via hops and latent heat of peppers. The latter is represented well, but you really only get it on the way, way back, and once the beer warms. This was still a fun beer to have, and couple with their last release involving hot chilies, we remain excited about this program they are beginning to cultivate.

TheBrewo, Dec 08, 2013

MichPaul, Dec 07, 2013

Dr_Bahmbay13, Dec 06, 2013

Kerrie, Dec 05, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

RE-REVIEW (12/21/13)

My sister bought a four-pack of this to a family Christmas party. I had a bottle and split a second, and I enjoyed it more than I originally did. While it mostly tasted the same, it didn't have that strange old grass character that I got in the other one... I wish I knew what caused that the first time around. I don't like it significantly more than the last time (3.23/5), but I do like it a decent bit more... I'd have it again. It's a unique beer that would make most people question just what you said after mentioning the ingredients.

--ORIGINAL REVIEW--

$2.99 single poured into a shaker pint. Bottling date's not on here, but it was bottled pretty recently.

Appearance: A golden orange sort of color with a very slight haze. Finger of soapy head sits on top, and leaves fantastic lacing. The highlight of Firefly. (4/5)

Smell: Odd, but compelling. Smells like old grass with papaya... also sort of a sour aroma as well. A honey sort of sweetness. Really just smells like candied yard trimmings and squished up fruit. (3.25/5)

Taste/feel: Pretty sweet. That grassy/yard sort of flavor is there with the papaya. Bready malt finish. Slight hop spiciness. The habanero burn on the end is quite subtle, and only is felt slightly in the back of the throat. I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but there's just some sort of strange flavor I'm pulling out of it. It's not bad on the taste buds, but I wouldn't be able to handle a six-pack, and the price is higher than it ought to be. I guess the aroma is sort of like candy corn? But not. It's in the taste a bit too. Frustrated me to not know what causes that, but I don't care for it. The feel is medium in body and carbonation, which adds to the slight afterburn that the habanero peppers bring. (3/5 ... 3.75/5)

I've loved just about every offering Odd Side has dished out, but I'm just not quite feeling this one. I love spicy foods, and I enjoy fruit in (some) of my beers, but this beer is a bit too unusual for me. Strangely enough, I think it may be the malts they chose (crystal?). I'm not too keen on most characteristics of certain hops/malts, but I've had a few beers with this aroma (C-Monster immediately comes to mind, from Liberty Street), and somewhat similar profile... I haven't liked them all that much. It's not a beer I'd turn down, but hardly one I'd seek out again -- the more I drank it, the less I enjoyed it.

(3.25/5)