Firefly - Odd Side Ales

FireflyFirefly

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spike with pain.

(Beer added by: ygtbsm94 on 10-24-2013)
3.78/5  rDev +3%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours moderately cloudy golden amber color with a small dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big papaya, peach, mango, orange zest, lemon zest, pineapple, honey, bread, floral, grass, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good complexity and balance of fruit, hop, and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of papaya, mango, peach, lemon zest, honey, bread, floral, pepper, and floral earthiness. Fair amount of pepper heat/spice on the finish; with lingering notes of papaya, mango, peach, lemon zest, honey, bread, pepper, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good balance and complexity of papaya, pepper, hop, and malt flavors; with a great malt/spice balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. A little lacking in flavor robustness. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good spiced pale ale. Good balance and complexity of papaya, pepper, hop, and malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

superspak, Jan 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Cloaked_Phantom, Jan 12, 2014

beertasterb, Jan 12, 2014

Davepoolesque, Jan 10, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A- Semi clear, a little bubbly. Soapy light head that disappears quickly.

S- Sweet tangy, light, fruity.

T- Sweet malt, hop infusion up front, followed with a peppery, spicy lingering grip. Weird, hot, perfume aftertaste that lingers. Not crazy, like the ingenuity/creativity.

M- Super smooth gliding down to the gullet. very nice.

O- Definitely original. Habaneros in a beer is a creative way to get even. good job!

Emnmarko, Jan 07, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

$2.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. "Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spiked with pain". No specs per the bottle or website. Pours out to a brilliantly clear burnt orange, forming a small head with poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate, about 2.5 carbs or so. The nose is fantastic...fresh juicy papaya sitting on top of crystal malt sweetness and some nice fruity yeast esters, with some subtle notes suggesting something better to come. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft with a medium body. Very crisp and clean. The taste is fantastic...a recap of the aroma well balanced with a mild to moderate bitterness and some mild, but noticeable, and pleasant heat that gradually develops after you swallow. Has classic yeast esters of WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. Goes down very easy. No appreciable off flavors or aromas, although this one definitely gives me heartburn. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this myself, due to the heartburn, but if you like a bit of heat, you should definitely try it. I haven't had a beer quite like this before.

Mitchster, Jan 06, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Very pretty brownish copper, somewhat cloudy, with a fluffy white head. Didn't get very tall but I may have poured this a little too cold. Slick lacing around the glass, nothing major, but it looks quite nice. Darker/redder than I expected from a single IPA.

Nose has some typical flowery/citrusy hops, with a sweeter note that I initially thought was due to a badly cleaned glass (towel scent) but is revealing itself to be a bready, ripe fruit accent. Probably the papaya. I haven't smelled enough of them to be able to tell, but that seems about right. I'm not getting a lot of pepper but there is something different here for sure. Not spectacular, but promising.

For the taste, I'm slightly disappointed. The nose promised a bit more fruit (from the hops and the papaya) and I'm not getting a lot of that here. Again, this is probably too cold, but it's been on the counter for two hours. Damn you, winter! The head from the habanero is very pronounced though, and that aspect of the beer is well done. More of a "roof of your mouth" heat rather than a building heat on the finish. The flavors of hops and papaya are identifiable but muted. A little bitterness on the finish. The beer itself is only about a month old, so that's not the problem. I'm going to have to try it again at a warmer temperature and see if it improves--if so, I'll increase the score. As it is, there's not a lot going on other than the pleasant spiciness. Balanced and interesting, but the flavors just don't "pop" as much as I hoped.

Body is quite light, medium carbonation, along with the peppery heat this leads to a sharp feeling on the palate. It does feel a bit watery to be honest.

My scores may seem a bit high when compared with what I actually wrote. The beer itself is quite tasty and highly drinkable as well as very unique, and I like the idea of a habanero IPA. I was just a bit disappointed because I felt like it could have been more. More papaya, more hops. The weak body was technically the lowest point, but the main disappointment for me was the weakness of the fruit flavors. The habanero element is near perfect as it is and certainly elevated this beer from "boring" to "kinda cool".

krustster, Jan 05, 2014

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Fargrow, Dec 14, 2013

rkf1976, Dec 13, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Firefly last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer ever since I heard that it was being bottled, I don't think I've ever had a beer with Papaya in it before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This beer has a good looking label, I like it and it goes well with the name of the beer. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and bready aromas with a light doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes nice fruity aroma with the papaya being pretty noticeable and it's mixed with a light creamy aroma that reminds me of some fruity yogurt. Towards the end comes a light hoppy aroma with no single hop aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's no noticeable hot pepper aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that really showcased those fruity papaya aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but lighter and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart a grainy, bready, and pale malt like flavors with some doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the papaya which is on the lighter side and there's also some other fruity flavors in the background. On the finish comes some hops which impart a grassy and earthy hop flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness with some habanero coming through imparting a warm and slight burning sensation in the back of my throat that builds a little over time and it's more apparent when the beer warms up a little and it had a pale malt, spicy, and light fruity aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the papaya showed up a little more.

M- Somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, lingering spicyness, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and I thought it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty decent example of a the style, but I thought some more fruity and papaya flavors would make it more fruit beer like and as it stands with the lingering burning in the back of my throat I think this beer would fit well in the pepper beer category. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the lingering spicyness would prevent me from drinking more than one, I could see it wearing on me if I decided to drink a couple of these in a row. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least the least about this beer was the lightness of the papaya and the how long the heat from the pepper lingered, I think this beer would be better if those two aspects were balanced out. I might buy a bottle of this again, but I wouldn't get a four pack and this isn't the type of beer that I would casually drink. I would recommend this beer to anyone that can handle spicier beers. All in I thought this was a nice beer and I'm happy have a chance to try it, I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but it wasn't a bad beer by any means, it just isn't that type of beer that I would drink often and I think Mayan Mocha Stout has a better heat level to it. I would put this beer on the same level as Me So Hoppy To Wheat You and it's one of my least favorite beers that they have bottled so far. I appreciate the effort but I think with a little worth this could be a pretty good beer.

StoutHunter, Dec 12, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Tracker83, Dec 11, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

ianpstephens, Dec 10, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: light orange color. with perfect clarity. almost no head but just a touch of foamy that quickly fades to nothing

Smell: hit up front with tropical fruits. not all a bitter hop but some hoppiness as well. slightly sweet malts

Taste: slight fruity sweetness. very tropical. then a blast of both hops and habeneros. pale malts in the background. very different from the smell but i like it better.

Mouthfeel: pretty light but not super drinkable due to pepper heat. some bitterness along with a building heat

Overall: probably one of the best pepper-pales i have had. good complexity and nice balance between bitter sweet and heat

SportsandJorts, Dec 10, 2013