Follow our progress ...

Colossal  OversightColossal  Oversight

Odd Side Ales
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

Barleywine aged in bourbon and cognac barrels.

Added by SupaCelt on 11-26-2013

Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 68
Reviews by SupaCelt:
3.71/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured deep mahogany that lightens to dark ruby on the edges when the light shines through. There is a fleeting bit of tan head to cap it off before the alcohol tears it into the depths. The nose is heavy with wood and alcohol and the burnt brown sugar and dark fruit scents of barley wine. There is an earthiness reminiscent of wet leaves and dirt that adds a rustic and aged feel to the package. The flavor is notably sweet. Sweet enough to demand a leisurely sipping experience to avoid feelings of cloying sugar. The alcohol is powerful on the back end and is a second reason to take it easy and enjoy the ride. The barrel is definitely in the mix and adds another dimension of complexity to the over ripe dark fruit tones and sweetness. She is crusty and raw. The mouthfeel is heavy. The sweetness seems to make it like nectar. Overall this is a decent barleywine. The sweetness is the only element that schemes to detract from the total feel. Take your time and enjoy.

4.01/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Brought back from Odd Side thanks to Drew. Got four of these because Hazel's Nuts was out... blah. Haven't seen the greatest reviews for this, but I'm down for anything Odd Side. Bottled 1/25 and poured 2/19.

The pour ... looks awesome. Super hazy beer bottle brown sort of color. Awesome creamy half finger of head that floats on top and lingers with some nice lacing. After that, I'm not sure what to think of this beer. Granted, my tongue just got bombarded with Odd Side's Funk Soul Brother, so that may be playing games with me.

The smell is still something I wouldn't say is great. Initially I thought this actually smelled a decent bit like -- root beer? But the more I smell it the more I get doppelbock vibes, as well as just a generic strong ale vibe. It's really hard to describe. As it warms up a bit, it becomes a little more clear... though still murky. Really smells of dark fruits. A lot of dark fruits. There's also a sort of maple syrup coated oak thing going on. I know, that's really unusual and specific, but that's the best way I can describe it. The nose is oak, vanilla, booze, syrup, and dark fruits. A lot going on. The more I smell it and the more it warms up, the more I dig it.

The flavor is intense and boozy... the feel is incredibly chewy and bold. This is truthfully the definition of a "chewy" beer. Flavor is a fair amount of alcohol, quite a bit of dark fruits, and a decent amount of malt. I don't find this to be a particularly hoppy barleywine, personally, but it's definitely surprisingly bitter on the finish. I can't say I really taste much of a bourbon barrel presence. There may be an ever-so-slight bourbony oak flavor, but it's quite subtle, unfortunately. This is certainly a warming beer, but I've had much hotter and less fresh beers. I really have to wonder if this is truly an American Barleywine, or if BeerAdvocate is wrong. Besides it being reasonably bitter, I don't get any hoppiness that would have me guessing it's that particular style.

I quite enjoy the look, aroma, and feel of this beer, but the taste is just not quite doing it for me. I'm all for a more bitter tasting barleywine, but I don't smell or taste any hops. This honestly tastes like it's an already old American barleywine, despite being less than a month old... because of the lack of hop character, the bitterness is actually a bit off-putting, considering I'm tasting a lot of dark fruit and malt. The fact that I don't taste or smell an awful lot of bourbon barrel is also disappointing to me.

This is a pretty enjoyable beer, but far from Odd Side's best -- this might benefit from some age, but would certainly benefit from a tweak in the recipe. I adore the mouthfeel on this beer, but the flavor falls short: is this supposed to be hoppy? If so, why doesn't it taste like it? If not, why does it have the bitterness that it does? Also, where's the bourbon barrel...? Was it put into an old, dry barrel? This is a beer certainly worth a try, but I'll likely be aging at least a couple of my four bottles to see just how it changes. I'd recommend you get at least two bottles so you can drink one and age the other as well.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

had on draft and thought was good, but not a lot of flavor for a barleywine. Definitely didn't notice any barrel influence. Again was good, but I've had others with more character for this style.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.92/5  rDev +1%

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle Oddside's Colossal Oversight last week for $5.19 at The Lager Mill. A Bourbon barrel aged Barelywine sounds pretty good tonight, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it works well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice brownish red color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with almost a finger and a half worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very high amount of sweetness with some big cherry and stonefruit aroma with some sourness to it and it reminds me of a fruity sour candy. Up next comes a slight bit of funky yeast aroma and it's followed by some caramel and more sweet malt aromas with some noticeable bourbon barrel aromas showing up and there's a fairly boozy aroma that shows up towards the end. The aroma isn't that great, it's not really true to style, there's just way too much sweet fruity aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness impart that same sweet candy aspect that I got in the aroma, but this time it's not sour and it's a little lighter. Up next comes a little bit of that funkyness that I got in the aroma and it's followed by that same caramel and sweet malt combo that I got in the aroma and up next comes the alcohol which is a little on the boozy side. On the finish there's a little bit of a bourbon barrel flavor with a lighter amount of bitterness and a little more of that booze with some caramel and fruits showing up in the aftertaste. This isn't a great tasting bourbon barrel aged barleywine, the balance just seemed to be pretty off and the key flavors in the style weren't really showcased.

M- Not the smoothest, slightly creamy, a little crisp, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is just ok, i wish it was smoother with less carbonation.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was below average for the style, it throws me off how the bright fruity flavors really stand out, but all the key barleywine flavors just barely show up in the background. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, one is more than enough for me. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance, it's good and true to style looking. What I like the least about this beer is the aroma and the balance, they need some major work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just doesn't live up to the style and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it just doesn't really live up to what it's labeled as. I t's not a favorite Oddside beer and it's slightly below average for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

Edit- A fellow BA informed me that this is also aged in cognac barrel and that's where a lot of that fruitiness is coming from, so now that I know that I will adjust the score accordingly, but I still wish the barrel aspects were more balanced, I get all cognac barrels and hardly and bourbon barrels. I wish oddside"s would do a better job at describing what the beer really is rather than just saying it's a barrel aged barely wine.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

As my first review this may not be over the top. what I can say is this is very delicious. the dark fruit flavors are wonderful if not almost overly sweet. Akin to overly ripe fruit as mentioned above. Very little carbonation, lacing and head. could be because its from a growler filled a week ago. The barrel aging on this is awesome. I do happen to like the sweetness though mabe just slightly more than what Id consider perfect. overall I love thi. I would definitely drink it again and again and highly recomend it. Odd Side Ales is quickly becoming a favorite (new) brewery of mine.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Colossal Oversight from Odd Side Ales