Hop Gobbler - Odd Side Ales

Hop GobblerHop Gobbler

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.75% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 12-04-2013)
Reviews by andrewjraab:
andrewjraab

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

A - copper brown with decent clarity. Nice oily white head with nice stick.

S - Citrus notes - pineapple, citrus zest, resinous and dank.

T - as the label states - "like thousands of little hop fairies dancing off the back of your tongue" - this is a hop bomb through and through. Citrus zest, hop resin, oily hops - so much going on that it confuses and challenges the palate. Finish is oily and dank.

O - Really solid hoppy IPA. I would have this again and this brewery continues to impress with each beer.

12-30-2013 02:50:32 | More by andrewjraab

tommy5

03-15-2014 23:46:02 | More by tommy5
Emnmarko

4.31/5  rDev +16.2%

A- A pale golden color with plenty of carbonation feeding an ample and billowy white two finger head.

S- Tangerines, grapefruit and lemon zest immediately fill my senses. Smells delicious.

T- The citrus of the hops in the nose become sweeter and are met with a pale biscuit malt flavor. The two merge together gracefully. The finish is dry and mildly spicy.

M- Very easy to drink and goes down nicely. No problems.

O- This is personally a favorite of mine. Great citrus flavor from the hops that I love is backed properly and proportionately with a mild but flavorful malt bill. I have only had a few of these and I will be looking for them in the future.

02-10-2014 02:38:15 | More by Emnmarko
buschbeer

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is golden with yellow highlights. It has very little off-white head.

S - It has a light, fresh floral and citrus aroma.

T - It has a crisp citrus element. Some bitterness builds as I consume it. The more I drink. The more I like it.

M - Moderate

O - At first I wasn't impressed. The more I drank. The more impressed I became. This would be a great all day beer, especially in the warmer months.

01-06-2014 03:28:02 | More by buschbeer

Georgia

01-01-2014 02:17:01 | More by GABrew
StoutHunter

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Hop Gobbler last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I'm always down to try a new beer from Odd Sides and they have never let me down when it comes to hoppy beers, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I like it and I think it's a little unique, but it isn't the most eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half of bubbly white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops being the first to show up and they impart a really dank and fruity hop aroma with some nice citrus and tropical fruit hop aromas coming through with some nice pineapple aromas seeming to stick out the most and there's some good citrus zest aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which are on the light side and impart a grainy, pale malt, bready, and biscuit like malt aromas with a slight bit of sweet malts showing up in the background. This beer had a very nice aroma that was very similar to an IPA and I think it would be just a little better if it had a little more balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and more balanced, it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice, dank, resinous, and fruity hop flavors with the citrus and tropical fruit hops showing up nicely with the citrus hops showing up the most imparting a nice citrus zest flavor. Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and they impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the bready and pale malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium sweetness that lingers just a little and there's a pale malt and citrus hop aftertaste This was a pretty good tasting beer that had some nice balance to it.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of a Pale Ale especially an Extra Pale Ale which is what Oddsides labels it as, it had a bright and fruity hop profile that not a lot of Pale Ales have and I thought it had just enough malts to provide some balance to this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, clean, a little refreshing, not filling, and the taste did a good job job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have a problem drinking a few of these and I think this would be a great beer to enjoy during the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the hop profile and balance, I thought they were both pretty good and they were both the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but a little more head and lacing wouldn't hurt. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't rule out picking up a six pack when I'm in the mood for a very hoppy Pale Ale. I would recommend this to most Pale Ale, IPA, and hoppy beer lovers, it's for sure worth trying. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it had a great citrus and fruity hop profile that reminded me a little of their Citra Pale ale but it still remained different enough not to confuse the two. Good job guys, this was another great hoppy beer from Odd Sides and I can't wait for the next new release to hit the shelfs, keep up the good work guys.

01-03-2014 04:37:48 | More by StoutHunter