Sinister Vertigo - Odd Side Ales

Sinister Vertigo
No picture uploaded.

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 12-04-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

I picked up a bottled of Oddside's Sinister Vertigo last week for $2.39 at The lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Imperial Stout today and since I've never had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so let see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a interesting and colorful design to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a half a fingers worth of bubbly brown head that quickly died down to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I thought the head and retention were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness that had a somewhat candied like aroma to it and it's followed by the dark malts being the first to show up and they impart a roasted, slightly charred, dark chocolate, cocoa and lots of sweet malts with a light coffee aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol aroma that goes right into a bright dark fruit aroma with no single fruit sticking out the most and there's a slight smokey aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but it was a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but not as sweet and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the dark malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the chocolate is a little lighter and it's the roasted malt flavors that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light alcohol flavor that isn't warming and there's just a slight dark fruit flavor that isn't too noticeable and there's some licorice flavors that take it's place. On the finish there a light amount of medium bitterness with a roasted malt and licorice like aftertaste. This was a good tasting stout, I liked that it wasn't as sweet as the aroma, but I wish it had a little more of that complexity that the aroma had.

M- Smooth, a little velvety, not too sticky, not too crisp, the alcohol was well hidden, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in a good Imperial Stout and I thought it represented the style nicely while also being a good winter seasonal. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little velvety, not too sticky, not too crisp, the alcohol was hidden well, it's just a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, one might be the perfect amount, but i wouldn't rule out having two, but anymore than that and it might start to get a little too filling. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad, but the sweetness was a little too high. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind putting one in the cellar to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who like Imperial Stouts. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't really impressive, but it delivered some tasty stout flavors with a nice mouthfeel to match and in the end I found myself enjoying it. It's not my favorite Oddside's beer and it's above average for the style. Good job guys this was tasty Imperial Stout, keep up the hard work.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Semi-hard pour down the center of the glass. Creamy dark brown head was on top for a moment, but went to a ring after a few seconds. Pitch black.

Smell: Fan-damn-tastic. I get some super rich cocoa and black coffee at first, but then also a lot of nondescript "roast" with some dark fruits and actually a fair amount of sugary sweetness from somewhere... it really reminds me of caramel. It's kind of like "the usual" for an Imperial Stout, but more amplified than many others in the style. Really love the smell.

Taste/feel: And now I'm starting to understand the 85 overall rating. The aroma blew me away, but the taste is just "very good." This beer has a massive amount of char/ash flavor in it from beginning to end with little here-and-there accents of chocolate and coffee between sips. I don't get any sort of a caramel flavor or much sweetness. Dark fruits seem to not be in the flavor either for me -- just a really dark -- almost burnt -- coffee flavor with some very dark chocolate. If you don't like smoked beers, you probably won't like this one. The mouthfeel is moderate at best in body and the carbonation is a little high. This drinks far more like an imperial porter than it does an imperial stout.

Good beer, but the aroma had me expecting great things. Definitely try it if you see it, IF you like smoky-ish beers.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »