Novocaine For The Soul - Odd Side Ales

Belgian IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: MSU_hophead on 12-21-2013

Reviews by MSU_hophead:
4.24/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had two pints of this the first (and only) time I've seen it in their taproom (drank on 11/30/13). I believe the ABV was in the upper 6s but I don't remember the exact number.

A: A slightly hazy golden straw color that had a finger and a half of slowly dissolving white head.

S: Some hops definitely come through initially with a bit of underlying yeastyness. Neither of my pints made it to room temperature where I'm sure the yeast notes would start to open up.

T: Holy cow! This one is a winner for sure. From the first few sips I knew it had surpassed the excellent Raging Bitch Belgian IPA by Flying Dog as my new favorite B-IPA. The Belgian yeast adds the perfect mild botanical/floral notes without overpowering the other flavors as the more intense Belgians tend to. Belgians are hit or miss for me and I think this beer definitely has some crossover appeal to those who do not often venture into Belgian territory. A good amount of floral hoppiness which accents the nature of the yeast. For the more adventurous Belgian fans I'm sure letting it warm up a bit more then I did might bring forth some of the subtler yeast notes.

M: The beer is crisp with a pretty run of the mill lighter IPA mouthfeel. Certainly goes down without much trouble.

O: Odd Side nailed the yeast selection with whatever Belgian strain they chose for this brew. It doesn't produce the more intense farm/barnyard flavors that certain Belgians are known for. Also avoids any sort of banana-like or more funky territory. Just a pleasant botanical note with perhaps an ever so slight amount of "spice" (slight coriander / green peppercorn?) characteristic that melds with the crisp dry nature of the brew. My current favorite Belgian IPA.

Novocaine For The Soul from Odd Side Ales
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.