Instigator IPA - Odd Side Ales

Instigator IPAInstigator IPA

Odd Side Ales visit their website

(Beer added by: alex021224 on 02-16-2014)
Reviews by andrewjraab:
3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Amber brown with excellent clarity. White head quickly clears to a thin ring around the glass. Not much stick.

S - Piney, floral and citrus notes, bread dough, crackers.

T - Fruity with citrus peel / zest up front, balanced by malts and heavy wheat, yeast, and bread characteristics. Finishes extremely bitter on the back end.

O - For this style, this brew doesn't really do it for me considering all of the great options in this class. It was underwhelming in almost every way.

andrewjraab, Mar 08, 2014

tectactoe, Jun 09, 2014

warnerry, Feb 19, 2014

DruC4, Jun 05, 2014

beergorrilla, Feb 16, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Golden orange, a mixture of pale orange, amber and yellow. 1 finger slightly off white head, nice lacing.

Smell - Pungent, you get citrus, but there is this underlying smell of sourness. Like smelly cheese.

Taste - Tatse follows the nose very much. You get bitter citrus grapefruit, resins, but there is also more pungent, smelly cheese kinda flavor, or yogurt.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, lightly carbonated, tangy bitterness

Overall - Thought I'd give this one a try, and also bought a Java Chip Mint Stout. This beer is okay. There is a unique tangy ness from the hops that gives this beer it's character.

Flopjack, Feb 20, 2014

ScottRansom, Jul 18, 2014

RyanM81, Apr 24, 2014

tommy5, Mar 16, 2014

Emnmarko, Feb 18, 2014
3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is amber bodied with golden highlights. It is topped with four inches of beige head.

S - When I first opened it I noticed grapefruit and pine. Then I got that candy corn smell I have been noticing in some DIPA's. The pine seems to dominate though.

T - I get that same weird combination. I really need to figure out why I get this buttery, candy corn flavor and smell.

M - Medium

O - The sweetness is not as bad as War Mullet and Citra Ninja for me. This is a decent beer, but I need to figure out what is creating this weird sensory perception for me.

buschbeer, Apr 09, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

LamboBrewpants, Mar 09, 2014

Buck_Jones, May 03, 2014

HardyA, Feb 22, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Oddsides's Instigator IPA a few days ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. This one just showed up and since I'm always down to try a new beer from Oddside's I'm interested too see how this one compares to their other hoppy beers, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little different looking for Oddsides, and it's not too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear darker orange color that took on more of a amber/copper hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight creamy aroma to it and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a light floral aroma with the fruity hops seeming to stick out the most, there's some great citrus rind aromas and tropical fruit like aromas showing up along with a very nice and unique berry aromas that has an aroma similar to a strawberry. Up next comes a light pale and cracker like malt aroma with a very slight piney aroma at the end. This beer had a very good aroma, it was full of fruity hops aromas and a i really liked it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a light floral and piney flavor with some nice rind flavors showing up with a light fruity flavor. In the middle comes a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just for a little bit. On the finish come some grainy, pale malt, and cracker malt like flavors with a piney, citrus, and grainy malt aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it had good balance and just enough bitterness.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an IPA, it's listed right now as DIPA and even though it has a DIPA like alcohol percentage, it's hidden very well and flavor wise I think this is more IPA like, so it's kind of right in the middle between the two. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not to filling, the alcohol was hidden very well and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but the ABV might start to catch up to me after that so that would probably be my limit. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma. it's very good and pretty unique, that berry aspect takes it to a new level. What I liked the least about this beer was that some of that berry aspect from the aroma didn't show up in the flavor, but it wasn't that bid of deal. I would for sure buy this beer again, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting at least another six pack and I would for sure get it again if they release it again. I would recommend this to any IPA, DIPA, or hoppy beer lover. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I know Oddsides has some skills when it comes to hoppy beers and they sure didn't disappoint, it offered a nice hop profile with just the right amount of balance. This one just climbed up there as one of the better IPA's I've had from Oddsides and it's one of the better IPA's I've had. Great job guys, I really enjoyed this beer, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Feb 24, 2014

Hopomatic, Feb 27, 2014

a_beckman25, Aug 11, 2014

Sparty55, Feb 28, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: a reddish orange color. fairly hazy but not quite opaque. a finger of a foamy white head that leaves a sticky lacing.

Smell: crystal malts. resiny hops. some pine and citrus as well

Taste: opens up with a little bit of sweetness followed by a good bite of resin and hop juice. not a whole lot of hop character but some pine and citrus. lots of crystal malt character

Mouthfeel: fairly light and a little sticky. some hop bite but nothing too crazy

Overall: a fairly boring beer in the odd sides line up. too much crystal character for me.

SportsandJorts, Mar 25, 2014