1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Paranoia Imperial India Pale Ale - Odd Side Ales

Paranoia Imperial India Pale AleParanoia Imperial India Pale Ale

Odd Side Ales visit their website

(Beer added by: lochef81 on 05-12-2014)
Reviews by WolfsbaneBloom:
4.5/5  rDev +19%

WolfsbaneBloom, Jun 01, 2014

tectactoe, Jun 03, 2014
4.29/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - very rich gold amber color with lots of red. S - high strong hoppy smell. T - punch in the face hops at first sip (getting used to IPA's still), but the second gulp had a wonderful flavor while in the mouth. I taste apple and pineapple. It much cooled off the after taste. M - pretty balanced. Felt thin at first but thickened up the farther you drank. O - it was rough at first but the more I drank the better it got!

NathanBunn20, Jun 30, 2014

dcisco44, Jun 07, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is towards the darker end of the IPA spectrum. It is rust colored with amber highlights. It is capped with a couple inches of beige head that stick to the sides of the glass.

S - The aroma is butter toffee. I get some faint floral hops. I'm guessing I picked up an old bottle.

T - The taste has faded remnants of hops. I get a little floral and bitterness. The malt is coming through and is the dominant flavor.

M - Medium

O - I am getting real leery of picking up singles of IPA's anymore. I tend to get burnt more and more regularly. I had better stick with what I know is fresh. It is disappointing because I really enjoy Odd Side beers. I guess I had just better venture to the brewery to guarantee freshness.

buschbeer, Aug 06, 2014

LamboBrewpants, Jun 05, 2014

DMarlinJ, Jul 05, 2014

HardyA, Jun 01, 2014

GABrew, Jun 13, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Paranoia Imperial India Pale Ale yesterday for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. It's that time again, it's time for another new IPA from Oddsides, I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it's got a bunch of different pairs of eyes staring out from the darkness and as a cool addition Oddsides made the eyes glow in the dark and I think that's pretty creative and I think it's very eye catching. It poured a slightly clear orangish amber color that took on more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy really light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a great mixture of berry, citrus and tropical fruit like aromas that seem to be a pretty even mixture with no one aspect seeming to stick out the most and I really like it. Up next comes the malts which impart some lightly toasted, caramel malts, brown bread and light sweet malt like aroma with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a really nice aroma and I really liked the fruity hop profile.

T- The taste seems to be a fairly similar to the aroma, but not as intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart a little bit of those fruity hop aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time there's more of floral taste to it. Up next comes the malts that seem to be a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but they still impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, they are just lighter. On the finish there's a slight boozy flavor with a medium amount of high bitterness that lingers a little bit into the aftertaste along with some floral hops. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was much more like the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it had more carbonation and that it wasn't sticky and rich.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average DIPA, once I got to the aroma I thought this beer was going to have a great hop profile, but when I got to the taste it started to fall apart a little and I was left with a floral and slightly fruity hop profile that was a little dull compared to the aroma. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little rich, a little sticky, pretty filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me since there isn't anything about this beer that makes me want to have another one in a row, so one is enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, hands down it was the highlight of this beer and I thought it was really nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, there were both disappointing and they aren't really up to the standard that I expect from Oddsides. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I don't think I would recommend it, it's not hard to find a much better DIPA. All in all I was let down with this beer, I was expecting a pretty good DIPA and that's what I got till I got to the taste then it went all downhill from there. So far this is now my least favorite beer from Oddsides, but it isn't the worst DIPA I've had. I appreciate the effort, but I think this one would be much better if the taste was more similar to the aroma, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, May 31, 2014

JamesShoemaker, Jun 05, 2014

Sparty55, Jun 26, 2014
4.21/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a deep amberish orange color. Good clarity and about a finger of a white head that leaves a little bit of a lacing behind.

Smell: strong juicy hops. Some grapefruit juice, resiny hops. Some stronger crystal malts.

Taste: opens with lots of juicy hops. Grapefruit juicy, maybe some floral. Cut by resiny hops. Strong sweet caramel malts in the back. But nowhere near the strength of the hops.

Mouthfeel: nice and drinkable. Lots of bitterness.

Overall: good mix between hop taste, malt taste and bitterness. Very good offering from odd side

SportsandJorts, May 22, 2014

Danny1217, Aug 23, 2014

MatterOfOpinion, Jul 05, 2014
3.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This offering pours a very handsome reddish brown copper color with a small off white head that leaves a nice film and lacing. Unfortunately, the appearance is the best thing about this beer. The aroma is a musty, slightly stale blend of pine and citrus hops as well as an off buttery smell. Its not a bad bouquet but doesn't promise the best of things. For an imperial that just was released, it seems that it would smell much fresher than this. The mouthfeel is adequately smooth and sticky with a proper amount of carbonation. The flavor is dissapointing given Odd Sides' capabilities with an ipa with awesome offerings like CPA. There is a nice hoppy note and some malty undertones. However, there is still that buttery off note riding strong on the palate. It's not a horrible pour but it doesn't leave you wanting another sip.

lochef81, May 12, 2014