Paranoia Imperial India Pale Ale - Odd Side Ales

to view more.
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 14
Reviews by bigaltemple:
4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - very rich gold amber color with lots of red. S - high strong hoppy smell. T - punch in the face hops at first sip (getting used to IPA's still), but the second gulp had a wonderful flavor while in the mouth. I taste apple and pineapple. It much cooled off the after taste. M - pretty balanced. Felt thin at first but thickened up the farther you drank. O - it was rough at first but the more I drank the better it got!

3.58/5  rDev -6%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is towards the darker end of the IPA spectrum. It is rust colored with amber highlights. It is capped with a couple inches of beige head that stick to the sides of the glass.

S - The aroma is butter toffee. I get some faint floral hops. I'm guessing I picked up an old bottle.

T - The taste has faded remnants of hops. I get a little floral and bitterness. The malt is coming through and is the dominant flavor.

M - Medium

O - I am getting real leery of picking up singles of IPA's anymore. I tend to get burnt more and more regularly. I had better stick with what I know is fresh. It is disappointing because I really enjoy Odd Side beers. I guess I had just better venture to the brewery to guarantee freshness.

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Paranoia Imperial India Pale Ale yesterday for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. It's that time again, it's time for another new IPA from Oddsides, I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it's got a bunch of different pairs of eyes staring out from the darkness and as a cool addition Oddsides made the eyes glow in the dark and I think that's pretty creative and I think it's very eye catching. It poured a slightly clear orangish amber color that took on more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy really light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a great mixture of berry, citrus and tropical fruit like aromas that seem to be a pretty even mixture with no one aspect seeming to stick out the most and I really like it. Up next comes the malts which impart some lightly toasted, caramel malts, brown bread and light sweet malt like aroma with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a really nice aroma and I really liked the fruity hop profile.

T- The taste seems to be a fairly similar to the aroma, but not as intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart a little bit of those fruity hop aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time there's more of floral taste to it. Up next comes the malts that seem to be a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but they still impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, they are just lighter. On the finish there's a slight boozy flavor with a medium amount of high bitterness that lingers a little bit into the aftertaste along with some floral hops. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the taste was much more like the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it had more carbonation and that it wasn't sticky and rich.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average DIPA, once I got to the aroma I thought this beer was going to have a great hop profile, but when I got to the taste it started to fall apart a little and I was left with a floral and slightly fruity hop profile that was a little dull compared to the aroma. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little rich, a little sticky, pretty filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me since there isn't anything about this beer that makes me want to have another one in a row, so one is enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, hands down it was the highlight of this beer and I thought it was really nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, there were both disappointing and they aren't really up to the standard that I expect from Oddsides. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I don't think I would recommend it, it's not hard to find a much better DIPA. All in all I was let down with this beer, I was expecting a pretty good DIPA and that's what I got till I got to the taste then it went all downhill from there. So far this is now my least favorite beer from Oddsides, but it isn't the worst DIPA I've had. I appreciate the effort, but I think this one would be much better if the taste was more similar to the aroma, better luck next time guys.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a deep amberish orange color. Good clarity and about a finger of a white head that leaves a little bit of a lacing behind.

Smell: strong juicy hops. Some grapefruit juice, resiny hops. Some stronger crystal malts.

Taste: opens with lots of juicy hops. Grapefruit juicy, maybe some floral. Cut by resiny hops. Strong sweet caramel malts in the back. But nowhere near the strength of the hops.

Mouthfeel: nice and drinkable. Lots of bitterness.

Overall: good mix between hop taste, malt taste and bitterness. Very good offering from odd side

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This offering pours a very handsome reddish brown copper color with a small off white head that leaves a nice film and lacing. Unfortunately, the appearance is the best thing about this beer. The aroma is a musty, slightly stale blend of pine and citrus hops as well as an off buttery smell. Its not a bad bouquet but doesn't promise the best of things. For an imperial that just was released, it seems that it would smell much fresher than this. The mouthfeel is adequately smooth and sticky with a proper amount of carbonation. The flavor is dissapointing given Odd Sides' capabilities with an ipa with awesome offerings like CPA. There is a nice hoppy note and some malty undertones. However, there is still that buttery off note riding strong on the palate. It's not a horrible pour but it doesn't leave you wanting another sip.

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a deep copper with a two-finger off white head. Head dissapates quickly leaving a heavy sticky lacing.

S - Light amount of tropical fruits and floral hops.

T - Lots of tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, & orange) with a sweet caramel malt backbone. The hops come through in the finish providing a nice earthy punch.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice creamy mouthfeel. Dry finish.

O - This is an above average DIPA. For fans of a sweeter malted DIPA this is a definite recommendation.

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle date of 05/06/14 is pretty fresh. Duvel tulip.

A- A normal pour creates 1-1/2 fingers of khaki head atop a clean, copper body. Light carbonation. The head drops to a thin film, leaving fantastic rings of lace on the glass.

S- Lots of leafy hops at the crack of the cap, becoming more grapefruit-like after the pour. With warmth, it gets quite complex with notes of leather and tobacco, some pine and crushed aspirin.

T- Much more rich and malty than expected, balanced really. At first, there's lots of cracker and brown sugar, then the grapefruit zest (a little pith too) comes through. Hops get spicy and ABV shows a bit. Hopping gets a little sharp.

M- Bone dry,medium carbonation. Full bodied with significant hop bite, a little warm alcohol even.

O- A pretty decent DIPA. However, I like softer edges. The ABV makes itself a little too known and the hops are just too harsh. Disclaimer: I really don't consider myself a "hop head." As fresh as it is, maybe another couple weeks would allow it to mellow (blasphemy, I know).

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 5/13/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep orange copper color with a 2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big pineapple, mango, peach, papaya, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, caramel, brown sugar, toast, and floral/toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and balanced dark malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big pineapple, mango, peach, papaya, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, caramel, brown sugar, toast, and floral/toasted earthiness. Fair amount of floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, mango, peach, papaya, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, caramel, brown sugar, toast, and floral/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity of juicy citrus/topical hops and balanced dark malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately creamy and lightly slick/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice maltier DIPA. All around good complexity of citrus/tropical hops and dark malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Manufactured 13 May 2014, if I'm reading the bottle right. Tasted 30 June 2014.

Pours deep, rusty and clear. One finger of off-white head. Decent retention, nice lacing.

Smell is big and hoppy, but with a very solid malt backing. Big citrus in the front, followed by tropical fruits. But then it surges with so much caramel malt that I could think it a barleywine. Excellent, though it tilts a little too malty even for my tastes.

Taste is similar, but it's even more powerfully sweet and malty. The citrus and other fruits come through, as does the bitterness, but there's a ton of residual sugar. Drinks like a barleywine, for sure.

Feel is good. Quite heavy, carbonation a bit low. Lasting, as it flips between bitter and sweet.

One of those beers that, if I judge it as it's labeled, I'm not a huge fan. It's way too malty, underhopped for an IPA. But as a hopped-up sugary barleywine, it's pretty darn tasty.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good looking beer when poured into a glass, but that is about it. This beer seems lost in what it is trying to do to me. There is very little hop aroma for a DIPA that is two weeks old.

Starts super malty up front, but as it sits in your mouth finishes very bitter. Maybe too much simcoe and/or columbus hops as it has almost a onion flavor to finish.

The booze content is hidden at least.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

A - pours a rich brown with an orange tint. Nice lacing and decent head retention.

S - Malts, brown sugar, pancakes, piney.

T - Citrus hops, fruity, peaches, brown sugar. Big hops followed by a boom of sweetness and finishes semi sweet and bitter.

O - Really solid DIPA from Odd Side - I'd have this again.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled 5/10/14 and poured into a shaker pint (sigh...) 10 days later. $2.79 single.

Appearance: Aggressive pour filled the glass perfectly. Two fingers of a creamy off-white head. The beer is slightly hazy and copper colored. Nice lacing. Great looking in the glass, and one of the best looking beers I've seen for awhile.

Smell: Dank. Super fresh hops. Tropical with some sort of cherry aroma as well, maybe. Citrus. A little spicy. Semi-sweet, but the malts don't come through as much as I thought they might.

Taste/feel: Nice feel on this. Dangerously drinkable, that's my first thought. Nice body with a light sort of carbonation. Sweet hitting the tongue with a very mild carbonation. Flavor is of some caramel malt, nondescript fruitiness from the hops, and a surprisingly apparent alcohol flavor. Finish is caramel malt with a lingering bitterness. Not sure of the ABV on this one (RateBeer says it's 9%), but it's there quite a bit initially. Paranoia just needs more flavor -- it tastes great and is way more drinkable than it maybe should be, but I want this to be bursting with hop flavor and it isn't.

There's a nice taste here with good bitterness, but the hops don't shine like I want them to, and that's my main issue with Paranoia. It's sweet and malty at first with a bitter finish, but there's not enough of a hoppy flavor. Still a very good beer. The price is a little steep, but I've seen worse. This is a tough beer to recommend for fans of maltier IPAs because this still has the bitterness, but hard to recommend to fans of a hoppy IPA because there's more hop bitterness than hop flavor. If you're just a fan of a good craft beer, you should enjoy this one.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The first thing you notice is the deep amber color. Very Pretty amber in the glass. Smooth first taste with a nice hop finish. My first Odd Sidebeer. Very nice.

2.06/5  rDev -45.9%

I am slowly getting into IPA's. This IPA makes me want to turn my head and run away. Huge bite. Bitter taste. I think I would rather drink piss than this beer. High in abv and it's noticeable. I gave this one a shot because the local craft beer store guy loved it. I will not be buying this again. I would drink straight R and R whiskey before this beer.

to view more.