1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

El Dankerino - Odd Side Ales

El DankerinoEl Dankerino

Odd Side Ales visit their website

(Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 05-18-2014)
Reviews by JamesShoemaker:
4.16/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, MFG date of 7/21/2014. Okay, this won't factor into my score in any way, but I really hate the name of this beer and the label, so much so, I'm afraid to say, that I almost didn't buy it. But from the brewery that does hops so well (not barrel aging, unfortunately), I overcame my aesthetic predilections. Okay, enough douchebaggery.

I love the way this beer looks coming out of the bottle, straw yellow with a brownish tinge, making it look like a liquid pineapple lifesaver. It settles much darker in the glass, almost the same hue as Bigfoot, which I guess it appropriate given their similar alcohol content. Despite the shade, it's semi-translucent with a lot of carbonation bubbles, lightening on the periphery. There's a decent amount of head on the forced pour, maybe a finger and a half, receding quickly and leaving some nice lacing on the surface and up the sides of the glass.

There's a really nice nose here, some light tropical fruit, bananas, mango, pineapple, and some of the more acidic fruits even make an appearance, lemons, limes, and oranges. Really all I get on the nose is hops, though I guess the density of the aroma would be caused by malts. It's very sweet, in taste too, but it's evident beforehand.

There's quite a bit of balance in the taste, which is surprising given the high alcohol content, the overwhelming hop profile in the scent, and the fact that this is an OddSide beer. Don't get me wrong, I like OddSide, but balance isn't the word I would use to describe their beers. Hops fade into the background here. There's a lot of malty sweetness, transitioning into bitterness, but the hops still play a key role in balancing all of this out.

Again, the balance is key in the mouthfeel. Keep in mind that "balance" is a relative term, because at 10% this is still a heavy hitter, packing more malt than hops in the taste. There's some bitterness that lingers at the end, but it's negligible.

I would absolutely get this beer again. There are very few IPAs that I enjoy that cross the 8% threshold, but I'm happy to count El Dankerino (ugh) as one of them. The smell was the highlight, but the taste was also good. Nothing offensive about this one, just another example of a good Michigan interpretation of a classic West Coast style.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Its Big , Danky, Stanky, Sticky, No 10 percent abv taste whats so ever dude. I had no Idea they were 10 % percent mind you. Its been a long day at work and I might come back to do a more in depth review at a later time , I will say this, they are very west coast tasting. Very duuude! If you like say the Stone enjoy by 2/14/14 as many of my wbaydn family did this is almost a clone I think if not better.As it warms you get that huge dank flavor and the sweetness from the malt. If ya see it , ya better buy it. I don't see these sitting on the shelf long Dude. Fucking A.

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.1/5  rDev +3%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

L - It is amber in color with some sunset highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head that disappears quickly, yet it manages to leave some lacing.

S - The aroma has citrus and tropical fruit notes. Orange immediately pops to mind. I also get some pine and alcohol.

T - The taste almost follows the nose exactly. I taste orange and mango with a pine finish. I also get a caramel/candy corn flavor that I seem to pick up in certain DIPA's. The alcohol makes sure you know it's there, too.

M - Slick, velvety smooth, syrupy

O - This is the best IPA that I have had from Odd Side thus far. I enjoy just about every aspect of this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

must have been a bad batch

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ale's El Dankerino a couple days ago for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. Oddsides seems to make some pretty good hoppy beers, so of course I had to give this a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on August 5th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, when you take every aspect of it and put it together it's very easy to tell that it's a Big Lewboski reference, I thought it was pretty eye catching. It poured a nice golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over half a fingers worth of bubbly off white head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually faded to a bubbly clump and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had just a little more head and better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a big fruity hop aroma with some citrus, tropical fruit and berry like aromas with the citrus fruit hops seeming to stick out the most by a little bit and there's also a light piney aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a doughy yeast aroma followed by some light caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas with just a slight bready aroma showing up. This beer had a very nice aroma, it was dominated by fruity hops and it for sure had the West Coast style DIPA like aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's almost on the border of being highly sweet with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart those same great fruity hop aspects that it did in the aroma with the piney hops seeming to stick out just a little more and they work well with the great mixture of fruity hops flavors. Up next comes a slight amount of doughy yeast along with a noticeable alcohol flavor that's slightly warming with the malts being the next to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness along with some more sweetness that lingered into the aftertaste along with some citrus and sweet malt like flavors. This was a good tasting beer, the hop profile was just about as good as it was in the aroma, but I think the sweetness got to be a little too high.

M- Fairly smooth, not too crisp, pretty sticky, slightly syrupy, on the very thick side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The beer had a nice mouthfeel, but i wish it wasn't as sticky with a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a West Coast Style Double IPA, they really took all the aspects that make this style what it is and they brought it together to make for an authentic tasting West Coast Style IPA and if I had it blind I think I could confuse this for a Stone DIPA. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too crisp, pretty sticky, slightly syrupy, a little filling, slightly boozy and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, the sweetness might start to wear on me if I have more than one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was really good and it was full of lots of fruity hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just a little higher than I would like, but i guess that's a little expected from a 10% DIPA. I would buy this beer again and I think it makes for a nice strong DIPA to have on occasion. I would recommend this to anyone who likes their DIPA, big and bold. All in all I was happy with this beer, the aroma really impressed me, but I still think it was just a little rough around the edges, but I think with just a little bit of work this could be a world class DIPA that could really hold it's own again some of the best of the style. It isn't my favorite beer from Oddsides or my favorite West Coast style DIPA, but it's still a good beer nonetheless. One thing about Oddsides is that it seems like they always fully commit to the idea behind the beer and that's exactly what they did with this big west coast style DIPA. Nice job guys, keep up the hard work.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am going to keep it simple. Has a very fruity floral smell but believe it or not has a cotton candy aroma and a subtle cotton candy taste. Intense bitterness similar to other west coast ipa's, but as the name dictates danky. Solid beer, but be careful as it pushes 10%+. This batch was 10.5%.

El Dankerino from Odd Side Ales