El Dankerino - Odd Side Ales

to view more.
Ratings: 158 | Reviews: 19
Reviews by JamesShoemaker:
4.19/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, MFG date of 7/21/2014. Okay, this won't factor into my score in any way, but I really hate the name of this beer and the label, so much so, I'm afraid to say, that I almost didn't buy it. But from the brewery that does hops so well (not barrel aging, unfortunately), I overcame my aesthetic predilections. Okay, enough douchebaggery.

I love the way this beer looks coming out of the bottle, straw yellow with a brownish tinge, making it look like a liquid pineapple lifesaver. It settles much darker in the glass, almost the same hue as Bigfoot, which I guess it appropriate given their similar alcohol content. Despite the shade, it's semi-translucent with a lot of carbonation bubbles, lightening on the periphery. There's a decent amount of head on the forced pour, maybe a finger and a half, receding quickly and leaving some nice lacing on the surface and up the sides of the glass.

There's a really nice nose here, some light tropical fruit, bananas, mango, pineapple, and some of the more acidic fruits even make an appearance, lemons, limes, and oranges. Really all I get on the nose is hops, though I guess the density of the aroma would be caused by malts. It's very sweet, in taste too, but it's evident beforehand.

There's quite a bit of balance in the taste, which is surprising given the high alcohol content, the overwhelming hop profile in the scent, and the fact that this is an OddSide beer. Don't get me wrong, I like OddSide, but balance isn't the word I would use to describe their beers. Hops fade into the background here. There's a lot of malty sweetness, transitioning into bitterness, but the hops still play a key role in balancing all of this out.

Again, the balance is key in the mouthfeel. Keep in mind that "balance" is a relative term, because at 10% this is still a heavy hitter, packing more malt than hops in the taste. There's some bitterness that lingers at the end, but it's negligible.

I would absolutely get this beer again. There are very few IPAs that I enjoy that cross the 8% threshold, but I'm happy to count El Dankerino (ugh) as one of them. The smell was the highlight, but the taste was also good. Nothing offensive about this one, just another example of a good Michigan interpretation of a classic West Coast style.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Its Big , Danky, Stanky, Sticky, No 10 percent abv taste whats so ever dude. I had no Idea they were 10 % percent mind you. Its been a long day at work and I might come back to do a more in depth review at a later time , I will say this, they are very west coast tasting. Very duuude! If you like say the Stone enjoy by 2/14/14 as many of my wbaydn family did this is almost a clone I think if not better.As it warms you get that huge dank flavor and the sweetness from the malt. If ya see it , ya better buy it. I don't see these sitting on the shelf long Dude. Fucking A.

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

L - It is amber in color with some sunset highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head that disappears quickly, yet it manages to leave some lacing.

S - The aroma has citrus and tropical fruit notes. Orange immediately pops to mind. I also get some pine and alcohol.

T - The taste almost follows the nose exactly. I taste orange and mango with a pine finish. I also get a caramel/candy corn flavor that I seem to pick up in certain DIPA's. The alcohol makes sure you know it's there, too.

M - Slick, velvety smooth, syrupy

O - This is the best IPA that I have had from Odd Side thus far. I enjoy just about every aspect of this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

One of my favorites from Odd Side Ales

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

must have been a bad batch

4/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ale's El Dankerino a couple days ago for $2.29 at The Lager Mill. Oddsides seems to make some pretty good hoppy beers, so of course I had to give this a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on August 5th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, when you take every aspect of it and put it together it's very easy to tell that it's a Big Lewboski reference, I thought it was pretty eye catching. It poured a nice golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over half a fingers worth of bubbly off white head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually faded to a bubbly clump and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had just a little more head and better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a slightly higher amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a big fruity hop aroma with some citrus, tropical fruit and berry like aromas with the citrus fruit hops seeming to stick out the most by a little bit and there's also a light piney aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a doughy yeast aroma followed by some light caramel malt and sweet malt like aromas with just a slight bready aroma showing up. This beer had a very nice aroma, it was dominated by fruity hops and it for sure had the West Coast style DIPA like aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's almost on the border of being highly sweet with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart those same great fruity hop aspects that it did in the aroma with the piney hops seeming to stick out just a little more and they work well with the great mixture of fruity hops flavors. Up next comes a slight amount of doughy yeast along with a noticeable alcohol flavor that's slightly warming with the malts being the next to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness along with some more sweetness that lingered into the aftertaste along with some citrus and sweet malt like flavors. This was a good tasting beer, the hop profile was just about as good as it was in the aroma, but I think the sweetness got to be a little too high.

M- Fairly smooth, not too crisp, pretty sticky, slightly syrupy, on the very thick side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The beer had a nice mouthfeel, but i wish it wasn't as sticky with a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a West Coast Style Double IPA, they really took all the aspects that make this style what it is and they brought it together to make for an authentic tasting West Coast Style IPA and if I had it blind I think I could confuse this for a Stone DIPA. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too crisp, pretty sticky, slightly syrupy, a little filling, slightly boozy and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, the sweetness might start to wear on me if I have more than one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was really good and it was full of lots of fruity hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was just a little higher than I would like, but i guess that's a little expected from a 10% DIPA. I would buy this beer again and I think it makes for a nice strong DIPA to have on occasion. I would recommend this to anyone who likes their DIPA, big and bold. All in all I was happy with this beer, the aroma really impressed me, but I still think it was just a little rough around the edges, but I think with just a little bit of work this could be a world class DIPA that could really hold it's own again some of the best of the style. It isn't my favorite beer from Oddsides or my favorite West Coast style DIPA, but it's still a good beer nonetheless. One thing about Oddsides is that it seems like they always fully commit to the idea behind the beer and that's exactly what they did with this big west coast style DIPA. Nice job guys, keep up the hard work.

4.28/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am going to keep it simple. Has a very fruity floral smell but believe it or not has a cotton candy aroma and a subtle cotton candy taste. Intense bitterness similar to other west coast ipa's, but as the name dictates danky. Solid beer, but be careful as it pushes 10%+. This batch was 10.5%.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle. 8-31-2014. Water goblet.
A: Pours a pale amber with 2 fingers of off-white head. Some small bubbles; retains a thin froth ring. Excellent lacing.
S: Massive fruitiness and sweetness. Kiwi. Pineapple. Slight resiny overtones.
T: Sweet arrival; good fruitiness across mid-palate; a touch too sweet; less hop bitterness on the finish than I would have expected. Noticeable alcohol. Lingering bitterness.
M: Soft. Mid-to-full bodied.
O: Big, bold, and a little too sweet for my liking. Pronounced alcohol.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours a clear golden orange with a one-finger white head. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Light aromas of citrus and floral hops.

T - Taste is sweet upfront with a heavy dose of caramel malts and citrus (orange and grapefruit). The sweetness fades into a nice piney bitterness. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice creamy mouthfeel. The finish is sticky and dry.

O - This is a very nice DIPA. This is highly drinkable dispite the high ABV. A nice take on the west coast style.

The most amazing beer ive ever had...it earned that name. Tastiest 10% beer ive ever had

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 7/21/2014. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly slick/sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent DIPA. All around great complexity and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

One out of two Big Lebowski reference things I bought from Beer Baron, in Michigan. :P Though the other was a hard cider brewed with chai tea spices or some such, rather...

A - Golden with an amber/copper tinge.
Poured with a decent amount of head that left quickly, however.
A little bit of spattery lacing as I drank it.

S - Smells like a tropical and citrus fruit party. hahah.
Smells very sweet.
Little bit of a pine and floral scent as well.

T - This tastes really nice. At first was not sure if was going to be too sweet, but quickly got used to it. Very nice tropical fruit flavors going on with some hop bitterness. Not even sure how to describe it appropriately, but I am really digging this. The sweetness dominates the taste the most. Suppose it's big on grapefruit/pineapple/mango. Bit of orange. Sweet malt in aftertaste. A slight piney hop taste throughout that mingles well with the rest of the flavors. The bitterness is mixed in there, it is just predominately sweet.

M - Medium to full body...syrupy.

O - I found this really enjoyable. Wish I had picked up more than one bottle. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some more.

4.16/5  rDev +4%

Held off on this for a while because of the (to me) unattractive bottle art/name and general hesitation toward OddSide's silliness in some of their seasonal releases, but was glad I finally tried one...then couldn't find it for sale anywhere to go back and revisit/review. Finally came across a 6-pack, and they poured with just the tiniest-bit-hazy, dark-golden to light-orange color (very-much dipa). With a bit of very fine sediment in the bottle, and knowing it's been out for months, it's probably older than "fresh" for a double IPA. Smell is hops and citrus and tropical fruits: orange, pineapple, some piney thing going on, very good. The taste follows, with it being relatively well balanced by the malts, but still sweet with the fruity flavors, and then finishing a bit more dry and bitter and West-Coast style. Good mouthfeel for a dipa, with a nice medium carbonation and lightish body. Probably my favorite beer from OddSide, and one of the better double IPA's I've tried in a while as well. Totally solid and probably better five months ago when it first hit the shelves...

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Hops in Holland, MI. Tasted it side-by-side with Hopslam, and it really held its own. Great to have another great Michigan brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pilsner hourglass. Bottled 07/21/14

A- Pours a deep gold, light copper with a one finger white head. High degree of clarity.

S- Citrus notes of sweet grapefruit and orange peel. Secondary aromas of floral, pine, and pineapple. Slight caramel smell. Not really getting any alcohol in the aroma.

T- Similar to aroma. Citrus of orange and grapefruit, sweet notes of apricot juice, more pine than in the aroma, nice West Coast bitterness but not a bitter bomb. Some more floral notes. Slightly warming on the tongue and in the throat but not distractingly so. I bit on the sweeter side. Finishes with a medium lingering pine note.

M- Medium very nice for the ABV.

O- A really nice highly hopped, high ABV IPA. Really reminds me of a high ABV version of Torpedo which is a benchmark West Coast IPA. Really surprise how well the alcohol is hidden, better than Bell's higher ABV IPAs IMO. Hope this becomes a regular season release.

4.8/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a fantastic west coast double. The only drawback is that the 10% means only a couple can be had at a time.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a copper color with amazing clarity. Initial head dissipates quickly and leaves a few spots after each drink.

S - This has a fruity almost brandy like smell to it. Cherries soaked in sugar, malts, not much hop smell comes through.

T - Big bold and rich flavors, hops present up front, it tries to balance with malts, but the strong alcohol flavor takes over. A big warm after taste.

O - Decent brew, but a bit heavy handed on the alcohol / malts and not enough balance with the hop profile.

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottled 9/18 and poured 11/2. $3 single, I think.

Appearance: Aggressive pour throws up two fingers of a creamy, egg shell white head that stays awhile. El Dankerino is a purdy orange color. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: This beer has a smell that I've had in a few other DIPAs, and I'm not sure what the smell is and it's impossible for me to describe other than... sweet and chalky. There is then a load of kiwi, papaya, and peach.

Taste/feel: I get that sweet and chalky sort of thing in the taste as well, but it's very brief... really at first sip though this beer pounds you. The kiwi/papaya/peach smells follow through in the taste with a really nice biscuit and caramel malt flavor. There's a lot of sweetness up front, followed by a smack of bitterness, and then a bittersweet, super dry finish. The alcohol can be tasted slightly near the end. A full-body mouthfeel on this with a moderate prickly carbonation that works nicely.

West Coast style...? Doesn't taste West Coast-y to me much at all, but it does taste like a very good, quite unique DIPA. El Dankerino has a combination of bitterness and not-flawlessly-hidden alcohol that may turn some people off, but I like it. It's a little rough around the edges, but still another very well-crafted beer by Odd Side.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Bought a single of this at BevCo. Evidently 10% ABV and 90 ibu's. No info on the website. Pours out to a brilliantly clear deep golden, forming a compact head with poor retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.25 carbs or so. Fine layer of sediment in the bottle. The nose is truly amazing...mango mango mango, pineapple, juicy fruit bubblegum and guava nectar. Delicious nose. The mouthfeel is chewy and smooth with a dense sticky body. Wonderful mouthfeel. The taste is out of this world. Phenomenal...Lots of mango, guava and pineapply up front. Punchy mild hop bitterness in the middle, but overall sweet in the middle, then finishing tart and dry from all the hops, with a firm hop astringency. I don't taste the 10% ABV but I know it's there from the huge sticky malt body. Tastes like pale malt, some munich or vienna and some light crystal. Honey overtones.

Wow. Color me impressed. This is a juicy hop bomb. I'm going to have to go back and see if they have more of these. A wonderful beer. I haven't had a DIPA like this out of michigan before. Highly recommended.
L=4.0, A=4.75, T=4.25, MF=4.25, D=4.25