1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Grapefruit Wheat - Odd Side Ales

Grapefruit WheatGrapefruit Wheat

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Zaphog on 05-23-2014)
Reviews by BlissJunkie:

ianpstephens, Aug 03, 2014

blatantlocalism, Aug 11, 2014
2.69/5  rDev -20.2%

12 FL. OZ bottle
Served in a weizen glass

It is yellow to orange in color and very cloudy. It has a tight, off-white head of about two inches the leave some lacing.

The smell begins sweet. Then I get some caramel, cardboard, and I guess some semblance of grapefruit.

The taste is like someone put grapefruit rind in a Blue Moon. There is some unappealing bitterness masking the taste of an unremarkable wheat beer. Then I get tastes of candy corn.

This is easily the worst beer I have had from Odd Side. I like pretty much everything else I have had from them. this takes everything bad in a Blue Moon and combines it with the worst aspects of grapefruit.

buschbeer, Aug 15, 2014

Stevewitt, Aug 10, 2014

Buck_Jones, Jul 19, 2014

HardyA, Jun 08, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Grapefruit Wheat last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer recently at a local beer fest and I wasn't too impressed with it, but I had already had a few beers at that point and I thought I would pick up a bottle to try while my palate is fresh, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on June 30th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name since it has the two main ingredients to this beer on the label, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very cloudy golden yellow color that took on more of a dark golden hue when held to the light, but the cloudyness prevented a lot of light from coming through and it had one fingers worth of white head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind.. This was a ok looking beer, but I wish the head, lacing and retention were all better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the wheat being the first to show up and it imparts a nice and noticeable wheat aroma with some bready and sweet malts showing up in the background along with a little bit of doughy yeast. Up next comes a light spicy aroma with a coriander like aroma seeming to stick out the most and it's followed by the grapefruit which has a nice natural Grapefruit like aroma, but it's a little on the light side and there's some citrus rind like aromas showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, both aspects the beer was named after show up, but I wish the grapefruit showed up a little more.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the wheat still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they show up a little more and they seem to be the flavor that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes some noticeable doughy yeast and hardly any spices with some grapefruit flavors showing up, but they might be even lighter than it was in the aroma. On the finish comes a very light amount of medium bitterness that is unique and must be from the grapefruit since it doesn't have that sharpness that I expect from hops and it had a very wheat like aftertaste with just a little grapefruit coming through. This was a decent tasting beer, but it seemed to be pretty unbalanced and I wish the grapefruit showed up more.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, slightly refreshing, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, the wheat base showed up nicely, but I was left wanting more grapefruit in every aspect except for the bitterness, I thought the bitterness showed just at the right level. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, slightly refreshing, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one would be enough for me, the flavors doesn't really leave me wanting more of it. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and mouthfeel, they seemed to be the highlights of this beer and they were both nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of balance, it seemed like the wheat base showed up a lot, but the grapefruit didn't and I wish it was a little more noticeable. I don't think I would buy this beer again, if i want a wheat beer I would go with a straight up wheat beer and if I wanted a Grapefruit beer I would go with some type of radler, but I wouldn't turn one. This beer is worth a try, but I can't say I would recommend it as a good beer. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Oddsides does a pretty good job at making a beer taste like the name suggests, but I think they were just a little off the mark with this one and I don't think it turned out as good as it could have. This just might be my least favorite Oddsides beer and as far as fruity wheat beers go it isn't at the top. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

StoutHunter, Jul 25, 2014

meanmutt, Sep 01, 2014

TheBeerDad, Jul 07, 2014

MasterPenguins, Aug 17, 2014
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/30/2014. Pours very hazy/cloudy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, wheat, bread, light honey, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of citrus hops, grapefruit, and pale malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, herbal, floral, grass, slight pine, wheat, bread, light honey, and yeast earthiness. Slight pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, wheat, bread, light honey, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and solid robustness of grapefruit, citrus hops, and pale malt flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Not watery feeling in the flavors at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with no warming present after the finish as expected of 4.5%. Overall this is a very solid pale wheat ale. All around good balance and solid robustness of grapefruit, citrus hops, and pale malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

superspak, Aug 22, 2014