CPA: Citra Pale Ale - Odd Side Ales

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: EricCioe on 04-11-2011

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

I was lucky enough to have a 4 day old Zombie Dust and a 6 day old Citra this week and I've got to say that Citra blew me away. I didn't have them side by side but in my opinion, Citra is what all the hype makes you believe Zombie Dust tastes like.

Even if you think I'm out of my mind, Citra is an awesome beer.

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%

Oh man, it's been a long time since my first try of a brewery was this damn good. Forget how it looks. The smell. Hot damn, the smell! An absolute grapefruit bomb with a good but not overpowering floral note to go along with it. The taste has a strong hop bite. And then there is the grapefruit, courtesy of the Citra hops. Awesome, just awesome. Mouthfeel was maybe thinner than I expected, but very suitable for the style.

Who are these guys? And why isn't this stuff bottled?

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Had a liter at Sidetrack in Ypsilanti.

Poured nice and golden, smelling of grapefruit. Had a nice kick of hops, but not overwhelming. A very good brew.

Prior to this brew, I had never heard of Odd Sides....but I will keep an eye out for more of their brews.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Look - Burnt amber with a touch of orange accompanied by a two finger off-white head that leaves a touch of lacing.

Smell - Malts drop bombs on the nose with a follow up by grapefruit juice and mango to save the day.

Taste - Citra hops explode within my mouth like a brick of C4 going off on a building. Never knew what a citra hop was until it smacked me in the face and demanded my attention. Like a nice Asian woman ready to settle with a prenuptial agreement. ;).

Feel - Medium and a tad watery with a good dose of juicyness. Light carbonation.

Overall - Best pale ale of all time in my opinion. Hands down. Sessionable as can be, and more beers need this hop.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Classic looking Pale, had it on tap.

The aroma is absolutely an intoxicating bouquet of grapefruit, tropical fruit, lemon, and pine.

Taste is just what you'd expect. You get the fruit taste with a sizable hop bite. It's amazing they packed in so much in a Pale.

Mouthfeel is oily and crisp.

Overall, this is one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in awhile. Since I can't get Zombie Dust every day, this is a worthy substitute, and that's the ultimate compliment to the folks at Odd Sides.

4.61/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer. Citrusy aromas without being fruity. Good hops and bitters without being overtly bitter. Excellent beer and will become a mainstay.

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this beer, would be great summer time beer on hot day... refreshing. Almost seems like a blend of a mild IPA with APA since does have the citrus and hop characteristics to it, recommend trying.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 64oz growler into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a chill hazed copper color with two pillowy fingers of creamy off white foam. Nice retention and very sticky lace.

S: Total Citra blast! Tangerine rind, clementine, and orange. Hints of orange-vanilla cream, pale malt, and caramel as it warms.

T: See above with citrus zest, melon fleash, and mango.

M: Bitter citrus and hop oils provide the bite and the malt smooths it out and lends balance.

O: The best beer they brew...hands down. Excellent!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Excellent beer. Up there with Two hearted (different style. Calm down, snobs). Bottled conditioned is a huge plus. Would I purchase this again? That's a no-brainer. My go to for drinking in GH state park (lol). Great job, Oddside.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a lager glass.

A - Orange gold. Rocky 3 inch head stays several minutes, recedes to a frothy film. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus and musty hops.

T - Oh my! Grapefruit, orange, pineapple hop blast. Solid but not overbearing malt presence. Ends on a dry, hoppy, mellow peach note.

M - Medium, juicy

O - A truly great American Pale Ale. If you can find this, hoard this.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: a deep yellow/orange. Pretty hazy. An off white head that leaves a lacing.

Smell: strong tropical fruit, slight hoppiness

Taste: strong tropical fruits and citrusy/tropical hops. Very dry malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: slightly bitter but strong fruity after taste. A little dry.

Overall. This is probably the tastiest pale ale I have had in a while and easy could be considered one of my favorites. Definitely worth a try

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at Hermann's Olde Town Grille in Plymouth, MI. Served into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange with an inch of fluffy white head. Solid head retention with some pitting and nice lacing.

S: Big time citrus hops with a nice orange aroma. A little earthiness on the nose as well. Nice.

T: At first, it tastes like fresh-squeezed orange juice or like I just bit into an orange. Hints of grapefruit and lemon mingle with the orange, and there is a great hop bite on the finish.

M: My favorite thing about this beer is how juicy it is. The juiciness really makes it a great thirst quencher. Along with the hints of lingering bitterness and sweetness, and the perfect amount of carbonation, this beer may be the closest I have had to juice. I love it.

O: Today is the first time I have gotten to try this, and I absolutely love this beer. It compares very well to Zombie Dust, and I would love to do a side-by-side. Based upon my notes, the juiciness of Odd Side Citra sets it apart. A must-try for any hop-head. Highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer on draft a couple times and I thought it was a very good Pale Ale and since Odd Side just started bottling this I thought I would pick one up and give it a proper review and I'm, interested to see how the bottled version holds up against it on draft, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks good and the colors grab my attention. It poured a slightly orange golden color that took on more of an orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops that impart some floral aromas, but it's the citrus and tropical fruit aromas that stick out the most and impart a heavy grapefruit and orange rind aromas with some pineapple and mangos in the background. The malts barely stick out and impart a light sweet grainy aroma. This beer had a really good aroma it was super fruity and juicy and dominated by the citrus hops, I really enjoyed it and I think people would easily think this was brewed with fruits, but it's just the citra hops doing what they do best.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that was just the right amount and it was followed by loads of hops that impart tons of fruit flavors with some nice grapefruit and orange flavors showing up with a little bit of tropical fruits in the background. I don't really pick up any malts and there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet and fruity aftertaste. This beer tastes very good, it's dominated by citra hops that impart loads of great fruity flavors, I really enjoyed it.

M- Smooth, clean, refreshing, a little dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked well with this beer and it was fairly true to style.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a traditional example of a Pale Ale, but it still was a good example of an American Pale ale, just not a traditional one since it wasn't nearly as balanced. This beer has very good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, it had just the right amount of bitterness, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored with it and I think this would be an Awesome Pale Ale to enjoy during the summer and while playing some disc golf, I find it to be pretty sessionable. What I liked the most about this beer was how bright and fruit the hop profile was, the citra hops just dominated the flavor and aroma in the best way possible. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have a bottling date, other than that there wasn't anything at all that was wrong with it. I would for sure buy this beer again, once Odd Sides starts making a little more of it I can see keeping some of this in the fridge all summer, it just might be my go to Pale Ale for this summer. I recommend this beer to just about anyone, if you like citrus hops than there's a good chance you will like this beer. All in all I was really happy with this beer, I thought it was just about as good as it was on draft, it seems just a little brighter and it looked a little better on draft, but other than that it was pretty much the same. This is just a great beer all around and I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite American Pale Ale, I think I will be drinking a lot of this in the upcoming months. I have only had a couple Odd Side beers but so far I pretty impressed and I think this brewery has some promise, good job guys, if this beer is an indicator for things to come than I see nothing but good things come and I can't wait to try more of their brews.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Served on-tap at Seven Monks Taproom in Traverse City, Michigan.
Served in a pint glass. Cloudy apricot in color, with a sturdy head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Heady bouquet of Citra hops
Taste-Tasty, snappy tropical Citra hops, well-balanced and deliscious. Session-worthy. Try with meat-and-cheese board. Outstanding.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Plenty of obvious citra characteristics. Makes the color, smell, and taste perfect. There are a few citra-heavy beers out there and this is a great example of a regular-strength beer that isn't over-the-top.

There is definitely a strong, dry finish to this beer.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - This unassuming beer is amber with golden highlights. I achieved very little head with my pour. I only had a thin skim of white head.

S - My nostrils are filled with fresh citrus. This is great coming from a pale ale.

T - The taste is loaded with fresh citrus, as well. I get hints of some caramel malt.

M - Moderate with mild carbonation.

O - This ranks right up there with Three Floyd's pale ales. This beer is delicious. I have searched for bottles every time I have been in Michigan. Finally, I scored some. I could drink this stuff everyday.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After finally getting a taste for IPA's and Pale Ales last summer, I have been frantically trying every one I can find. I have been going to some local stores that sell singles and grabbing as many different ones as possible. Last Friday I had the great fortune of grabbing an Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale, and the misfortune of grabbing some others.

After cracking the bottle open, I could smell that this one was going to be good. The citrus and hop bouquet was as balanced as it was aromatic! After pouring it from the bottle to the pint glass, I gave it another spin and smell and was in love! The first sip was an adventure into a world that made me giddy! The citrus balanced with the hops made for an incredible flavor! What a fantastic beer! This one goes right up to the top of my list of great ones!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I heard a lot of Buzz about this beer, so I was excited when my friends at the Liquor Cabinet in St. Joseph had it in stock. Props to Odd Side for putting the date clearly on the side of the bottle. The reviewed bottle was dated 3/21/13. The beer poured a nice orange-copper color with high white head. The pint glass was almost unable to hold the head. In the aroma, I detected notes of pine and sweet citrus. The aroma is far from being passive. In the initial taste, one gets a burst of pineapple, orange, pine, and mild malt. At the back end, one detects notes of orange rind. The bitter resin occupies the aftertaste, following the beer right down the esophagus. The bitter grassy notes linger on the roof of the mouth and the sides of the cheeks. Though the beer had a massive head, the carbonation was muted. A reasonably thick texture allows the taste to linger nicely. This is a very good APA that I imagine would be even better on tap.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first from this brewery. I love a brew with citra, and the chance to try a tap of this, I couldn't pass up. Smells terrific citrus and floral and pine pitch, with a nice balanced and presentation of the grains and malt, not heavily on any elements, and the taste is just the same. This is citrus grapefruit rind forward wonderfulness, and is hoppier than many pales, maybe somewhere between an IPA and a pale ale. Highly sessionable. I really liked this and would be a regular buyer if this were to bottle in the future. Impressive.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked up a bottle at the brew pub, first time the CPA was bottled. Had on tap multiple times.

Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a transparant dark yellow, 1 finger white head with good retention.

S: My nose is kicked by a ton of juicy tropical fruits

T: More tropical fruits, slight bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, carbonated well.

O: The size of the brewery doesn't matter, the beers that come out do. This beer is absolutely fantastic. I'm lucky enough to frequent Odd Side regularly and I almost always get the CPA. It's good, refreshing and hoppy enough to satisfy.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is kind of murky rust yellow, not very enticing to be honest.

Immediate grapefruit, orange, and tropical fruit explosion, smell is delicious, appearance definitely hid the beauty of this brew.

Very citrusy, grapefruit and slight pineapple notes dominate overall palate and finishes with a nice citra hop bitterness, marvelous!

Mouthfeel lacks carbonation, a bit flat for my taste.

Overall a great pale and one of my OddSide favorites.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - looks like beer. This category doesn't make much sense to me.

S - tropical sweetness. Really impressed by this citra hop. I've heard if some pickup a little cat piss smell and I must admit on my first sniff I got it. But after that it was wonderful.

T - more citrus than tropical as expected. A little grapefruit some orange. Very balanced with a lingering sweetness to match the smell. Hopheads might think the hop flavor is too subtle but I really enjoyed it.

M - average. A little thin but no issues here.

O - wasn't that impressed my first bottle. Tried again a few months later and ensured it was fresh. Very delicious. Highly recommended pretty easy drinking ale.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle to tulip glass. Golden orange hue with a beautiful two finger head that dissipates with some nice lacing. Smell is floral and citrus, some cracker. Taste is a mixture of citrus and tropical fruits: grapefruit, mandarin orange, mango, some zesty lime notes, too. Never a bitter sip, just enough balance where it's not sweet, but not too sour. Juicy is a really good way to describe it. A glass of this with bacon, toast and jam in the morning wouldn't be out of order. Refreshing and sessionable. Will definitely be revisiting this one.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (nice extra, thanks man!). Assuming it's Julian dating on the bottom of the bottle- bottled 9/24/13 (2673). Served in a Terrapin goblet.

Pours hazy orange gold with a half finger of white head. Recedes to thin wisps on the surface with a healthy halo that laces nicely.

Smells of bright tangerines, a little melon, strawberry and sweet bread.

Taste follows to nose for the most part. A nice pop of tangy oranges up front with paypaya, bitter citrus rind, berries, melon, sugar-dusted biscuit and a hint of pine. Quite a nice blend.

Semi-slick, light-to-medium feel with appropriately healthy carbonation. Lightly bitter pine and pleasantly sweet fruit aftertaste. This stuff is very easy to drink.

I'm not much of a Pale Ale drinker but this isn't terribly far below Zombie Dust in being one that I'll happily down any time. A smooth, highly quaffable and thouroughly enjoyable brew.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Had a pint at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Big citra hop fan.

Nice golden color with a decent head. Smelled like grapefruit perfume! Almost like a glass of citra hops. The taste was more muted than the smell. It still was in your face though with the piney, grapefruit blast you would expect from the smell. Very crisp and light, while bitterness does linger.

Can't wait to have again!! This is the first Odd Side beer I have tried.

CPA: Citra Pale Ale from Odd Side Ales