CPA: Citra Pale Ale - Odd Side Ales

CPA: Citra Pale AleCPA: Citra Pale Ale

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: EricCioe on 04-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
bepps

03-16-2013 18:33:00 | More by bepps
robhbest

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked up a bottle at the brew pub, first time the CPA was bottled. Had on tap multiple times.

Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a transparant dark yellow, 1 finger white head with good retention.

S: My nose is kicked by a ton of juicy tropical fruits

T: More tropical fruits, slight bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, carbonated well.

O: The size of the brewery doesn't matter, the beers that come out do. This beer is absolutely fantastic. I'm lucky enough to frequent Odd Side regularly and I almost always get the CPA. It's good, refreshing and hoppy enough to satisfy.

03-13-2013 00:46:40 | More by robhbest

ROBSTARR

01-13-2013 15:39:17 | More by ROBSTARR
StoutHunter

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer on draft a couple times and I thought it was a very good Pale Ale and since Odd Side just started bottling this I thought I would pick one up and give it a proper review and I'm, interested to see how the bottled version holds up against it on draft, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks good and the colors grab my attention. It poured a slightly orange golden color that took on more of an orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops that impart some floral aromas, but it's the citrus and tropical fruit aromas that stick out the most and impart a heavy grapefruit and orange rind aromas with some pineapple and mangos in the background. The malts barely stick out and impart a light sweet grainy aroma. This beer had a really good aroma it was super fruity and juicy and dominated by the citrus hops, I really enjoyed it and I think people would easily think this was brewed with fruits, but it's just the citra hops doing what they do best.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that was just the right amount and it was followed by loads of hops that impart tons of fruit flavors with some nice grapefruit and orange flavors showing up with a little bit of tropical fruits in the background. I don't really pick up any malts and there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet and fruity aftertaste. This beer tastes very good, it's dominated by citra hops that impart loads of great fruity flavors, I really enjoyed it.

M- Smooth, clean, refreshing, a little dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked well with this beer and it was fairly true to style.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a traditional example of a Pale Ale, but it still was a good example of an American Pale ale, just not a traditional one since it wasn't nearly as balanced. This beer has very good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, it had just the right amount of bitterness, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored with it and I think this would be an Awesome Pale Ale to enjoy during the summer and while playing some disc golf, I find it to be pretty sessionable. What I liked the most about this beer was how bright and fruit the hop profile was, the citra hops just dominated the flavor and aroma in the best way possible. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have a bottling date, other than that there wasn't anything at all that was wrong with it. I would for sure buy this beer again, once Odd Sides starts making a little more of it I can see keeping some of this in the fridge all summer, it just might be my go to Pale Ale for this summer. I recommend this beer to just about anyone, if you like citrus hops than there's a good chance you will like this beer. All in all I was really happy with this beer, I thought it was just about as good as it was on draft, it seems just a little brighter and it looked a little better on draft, but other than that it was pretty much the same. This is just a great beer all around and I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite American Pale Ale, I think I will be drinking a lot of this in the upcoming months. I have only had a couple Odd Side beers but so far I pretty impressed and I think this brewery has some promise, good job guys, if this beer is an indicator for things to come than I see nothing but good things come and I can't wait to try more of their brews.

01-13-2013 08:15:01 | More by StoutHunter
Beerandboards

New Mexico

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Got this in a growler trade from Rolandboy, thanks buddy.

As soon as I twist the growler cap the herbal hop aroma becomes very apparent.

A - pours a light golden with a small head. Probably a little bit of carb lost in the shipping process, but nothing really apparent. An aggressive pour produces a inch or inch and a half of thick white foam. Some chunky lacing.

S - Smells of rich herbal and floral hops. Rich orange and grapefruit peels with some herbal/sappy notes in there. Really fantastic.

T - this beer excels by not trying to be the biggest and baddest. Very balanced refreshing... Sip after sip of medium citrus hops. Manages to produce a very forward hop presence with minimal bittering on the back end. Near impossible to stop drinking.

M - has to be prefaced that I was drinking a 4 day old growler, but I thought it was great. Medium carb, the thickness of the beer was right on as a vehicle for the rest of the beer.

O - this is a great IPA. Ended up trading for it on a whim when Rolandboy put up a trade for local growlers, sure glad I did. This stuff is top notch.

Serving type: growler

01-07-2013 05:49:08 | More by Beerandboards
YalovaIA

Iowa

01-01-2013 06:12:40 | More by YalovaIA
emerge077

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pale orange, bright clarity, spotty halo of lacing, creamy cap of long-lasting dense white foam deflates into a puffy soufflé island in the center. A sticky collar forms around the edges as it sits.

Slight catty and resiny aroma, tangerines, florals, coarse milled grains.

Flavors of tangerine citrus, orange peel, underripe fruit, coarse pale malt, dry grassy botanical finish. LIght to medium level of bitterness, light bodied, pretty drinkable. Overall not that far off from local favorite Daisy Cutter with more citrus and lighter body. Thanks Joe for the growler!

Serving type: growler

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

11-24-2012 05:18:11 | More by MichPaul
Bitter_Echo

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first from this brewery. I love a brew with citra, and the chance to try a tap of this, I couldn't pass up. Smells terrific citrus and floral and pine pitch, with a nice balanced and presentation of the grains and malt, not heavily on any elements, and the taste is just the same. This is citrus grapefruit rind forward wonderfulness, and is hoppier than many pales, maybe somewhere between an IPA and a pale ale. Highly sessionable. I really liked this and would be a regular buyer if this were to bottle in the future. Impressive.

11-23-2012 23:48:41 | More by Bitter_Echo
tectactoe

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. Pours a pale-amber, slightly orange color with a white head that sifts down to a thin cover within minute. Aroma, as expected, full of citrus hops, very, very heavy mango and pineapple, nearly a "tropical" smelling beer - very nice and inviting. The bitter aroma from the hops is present, but is cut down quite a bit by the sweetness from the citrus-side of things. The taste combats with a little more of a bitter edge than the nose would have you believe, but the citrus notes are still there, with the pineapple and mango now joined by maybe some tangerine. Bitterness has a spike in the middle, but still never gets too high or overwhelming, which is pretty much what you're looking for in an APA - hop presence, but not necessarily dominance. Medium body, slightly sticky, carbonated well.

Very solid APA from Odd Side Ales. I've only had three of their beers, but I've enjoyed them thoroughly - all very unique and well-crafted. I need to try more.

11-19-2012 13:08:19 | More by tectactoe
HarrySTruman

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this at sidetrack bar and grill which is in the historic depot town of ypsilanti, MI.

It was a bit dark for an APA. The board at the bar had it labled as an IPA, which seemed incorrect from both taste and smell. It was an easy drinking APA that I would drink again. Flavor was hop forward but very balanced with a nice malt backbone. Certainly wasn't a memorable beer, but a beer that I would drink again if I saw iton tap. Never heard of Odd Side Ales before, but I may go back to sidetrack and try their pineapple IPA.

EDIT: I've updated my review giving higher marks for both smell and overall. Maybe getting the chance to drink this at my house and out of the bottle changed it for me, but the smell on this is fantastic!

11-19-2012 08:38:02 | More by HarrySTruman

Pat316

11-08-2012 00:24:18 | More by Pat316
buschbeer

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - This unassuming beer is amber with golden highlights. I achieved very little head with my pour. I only had a thin skim of white head.

S - My nostrils are filled with fresh citrus. This is great coming from a pale ale.

T - The taste is loaded with fresh citrus, as well. I get hints of some caramel malt.

M - Moderate with mild carbonation.

O - This ranks right up there with Three Floyd's pale ales. This beer is delicious. I have searched for bottles every time I have been in Michigan. Finally, I scored some. I could drink this stuff everyday.

10-29-2012 17:26:08 | More by buschbeer