Derelicte: Pineapple IPA - Odd Side Ales

Derelicte: Pineapple IPADerelicte: Pineapple IPA

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

(Beer added by: GbVDave on 06-21-2011)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.64/5  rDev -0.3%

I picked up a bottle of Oddsides Pineapple IPA a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but I've been wanting to try it for a while and I'm glad Oddsides decided to distribute it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice slightly hazy orange amber color that took on a slight red hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of bubbly off white head that was right on the border of being light tan and it died down thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head retention and lacing could have been a little better

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that's followed by the pineapple and the fruity hops being the first to show up and the pineapple seems to stick out the most with the hops imparting some nice, fruity, orange juice and citrus rind like aromas that make for an aroma that reminds me of some pineapple orange juice. Up next comes some floral hops aromas that lead right into some malts with some slightly grainy, slightly bready and sweet malt like aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I think the aroma lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into a hops that impart that same hoppy aspect that I got in the aroma with the citrus hops seeming to stick out the most with some floral hops in the background along with some very light pineapple flavors that isn't as noticeable as I would like. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a citrus hops like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the pineapple was bolder and stuck out more like it did in the aroma.

M- fairly smooth, a little crisp, clean, slightly refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was a great example of a Pineapple IPA simply because the pineapple just wasn't that noticeable when it got to the taste and with a name like Pineapple IPA I expect the pineapple to be showcased as nicely as it was in the aroma. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, clean, slightly refreshing, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one or two would be enough for me and I might start to get bored with it after that, but it does make for a decent warm weather beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was by the far the best aspect of this beer and it was the aspect that was the truest to the name. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of pineapples in the taste, it was barely noticeable and I've had beers that had no pineapple in them that still imparted more of pineapple flavor simply from the hops. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered one and I can't say I would recommend this beer because I don't feel like the taste lives up to the name. All in all, I wasn't impressed with this beer, but I didn't think it was bad, it's just that the taste didn't live up to the name and that seems to be a theme I'm starting to notice with these Pineapple IPA's and I'm starting to think that it's way harder to impart pineapple flavors in a beer using pineapple than I thought. It's not my favorite Oddsides beer, but It is my favorite Pineapple IPA and I like it much more than the one that was in the Sam Adams Long Shot six pack. I appreciate the effort, but I think the taste could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Jun 23, 2014

DanGeo, Jun 14, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at an Old Chicago near my house. I was a little scared to try this one at first - haven't had a pineapple beer before, and I was afraid of how it would turn out.

The beer pours a beautiful golden-yellow-pineapple color with a tiny, disappearing head. Decent lacing left all the way down the glass. The smell was pretty sensational - a nice mash-up of hops, pines, pineapples, and citrus. Didn't smell or taste much malt. The beer does a nice job of balancing the pineapple flavor with the hop profile. At any one time, you can stop and taste BOTH citrus/pineapple and hops/pines in your mouth. This allows the flavors to compliment each other and work together, rather than compete and overpower. It also does a nice job of being sweet without being TOO sweet - this may be from the balance of bitterness that the hop profile adds. On the mouth, the beer has a medium body and is pretty wet and sticky.

This was a very unique brew that combined one of my favorite fruits with an excellent style of beer. Balanced fruit beers are always hard to pull off, but Odd Side Ales managed to do a very nice job with this one. Would have again in a heartbeat.

tectactoe, Sep 25, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

warnerry, Jul 12, 2014

A: Nice darker golden color

S: Sweet and hoppy, just what I was expecting

T: Sweet and hoppy, just as the smell hints at but this really comes off different from all other IPA's. The taste is sweet with just the right amount of hops

M: Nice and full, it really helps balance the sweetness, not that the beer is over sweet to begin with

O: I really liked this beer, most of the odd side stuff is pretty decent but this stands out in my opinion. This is a GREAT summer IPA

barhoc11, Jun 06, 2014