Chocolade Koffie Stout - Odd Side Ales

Chocolade Koffie StoutChocolade Koffie Stout

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 08-31-2011)

Grupatre, Sep 13, 2014

Fargrow, Feb 18, 2014

Tracker83, Dec 02, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one is awesome! The smell of this beer juxtiposed with the flavor is very interesting. When I first let my olfactory senses get through this one, I thought it would just be another chocolate/coffee stout. Boy was I wrong! The sweetness and mouthfeel of this on is uncomparable. It is so smooth and yet it feels so thick on the palate. It is definitely a sipping beer and one that you can only drink a couple of in one sitting, but it is absolutely amazing! The chocolate overpowers the coffee but in a very good way. You get a nice hint of coffee in the finish but you never lose the chocolate. Just the right amount of carbonation and deep caramel color make this one the real deal! I highly recommend this for a great dessert beer paired with any chocolate or caramel dish!

centurian62, Jan 27, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at Odd Side this past weekend. Served in a pint glass.

Pours near-black with a 1.5-finger mocha head with good retention. Nice spotty lacing as it falls down to a thin cap.

Nose starts out with a huge chocolate presence along with underlying coffee and roast. Light cream as well. Taste is really nice, expertly blending the notes of chocolate and coffee with a dollop of heavy cream. A bit of roast in the background.

Medium body is super chewy and creamy with great carbonation levels. Really delicious brew.

Thorpe429, Aug 31, 2011

amishbooze, Dec 01, 2012

MacQ32, Apr 21, 2014

Hrodebert, Jul 23, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$2.49 for a 12oz bottle at BevCo. 6% ABV per the website. No specs per the website or bottle. "Stout with coffee added".

Pours out to a slightly cloudy black, thick layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, forming a medium sized dark brown head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs. The nose is quite nice, black walnut, milk chocolate with a touch of tootsie roll, a hint of coffee, vanilla, marshmallow, hint of chalk. Mouthfeel is rather smooth, full bodied, low attenuation (which I like in this beer), just a hint of hop and coffee acidity with a chalky feel in the finish. The taste is a recap of the aroma...solid roast, coffee, milk chocolate, marshmallows, all sitting on top of a mild but well balanced hop bitterness. There is some hop flavor going on, but it's mild. A little herbal up front.

This is a really good coffee chocolate stout. Better than most competitors, as it's well balanced and doesn't have that nasty burnt coffee acidity or fake chocolate "essence" twang. Recommended.

Mitchster, Mar 01, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Syracuse12, Aug 20, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: black just a hint towards brown. a half finger of a tan head that sticks around for ages. opaque.

Smell: big whiff of coffee, balanced nicely by chocolate and maybe a little bit of creamy sweetness

Taste: coffee and chocolate all day. bitter and sweet. nicely balanced. sweetness is a bit strong but it ends with bitter coffee

Mouthfeel: fairly light and a bit creamy. lingering bitterness at the end

Overall: a short time into the beginning of their bottling campaign Odd Sides does no wrong by me. they do a great job with styles i don't general care for (blonde ales, coffee beers, black ales.) And they seem to have a strong focus on flavorful but sessionable beers (few of their beers are over 6%) I will certainly continue to check out their new releases

SportsandJorts, Jan 24, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-Mor in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. I've noticed recently that Odd Side beers I've bought haven't had dates on them, so I don't know what's up with that... oh well, this is a stout, I'm not worried about it.

Appearance: Pours looking really thick and syrupy, which was a great start. I tried being aggressive, but I only got a really slight head at the end that went away quickly. Zero lacing. Very disappointed in the appearance of this one. It's worth noting that there is a *significant* amount of floaters and sediment in this beer. As pitch black as it is, you can see them floating in the darker brown sections of the glass, and a pile at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Glorious. Nearly perfect. Truly intoxicating. Heavy amounts of coffee with super sweet chocolate that almost make it smell like a chocolate milk mixed with coffee or something along those lines. Caramel. Definitely one of the best beers I've whiffed.

Taste/feel: Disappointing after the fabulous smell, but still some really good stuff. Truthfully, it tastes much different than the smell leads on. Fairly bitter. Almost a cinnamon sort of spice note in it in there somewhere, but it's pretty faint. Dark fruits seem to be there and gone only on some of the sips. The smell had me expecting a possibly cloyingly sweet mocha sort of flavor, but I get dark coffee and chocolate without the sweetness I was picking up on the nose. The beer looked to be thick when pouring it, but it's not as thick as I would like it to be in my mouth (that's what she said). A slightly thicker feel and a bit more sweetness in this beer, and it'd be absolutely unbelievable. Still, this is an excellent stout that I'd surely have again.

Alextricity, Jan 16, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

On-tap, poured into a nonic.

A- Dark brown body with a thin, brown head. Moderate stick.

S- Wonderful aroma. Exactly what I'd expect from a "chocolate coffee" stout. Mostly dark chocolate, but a good dose of medium roast coffee.

T- As aroma suggests, bold coffee and chocolate flavors. Great mix of sweet and slightly bitter from the coffee. A real pleasure.

M- A little thin for the style. Moderate carbonation.

O- A wonderful example of a chocolate-coffee flavored stout. After some disappointing beers to carry the moniker, this one hit the spot. While I could see it as a flavorful dessert beer, it was very drinkable. I had a couple in a sitting, and could have done more had the circumstances allowed. I would come back to it without hesitation.

GRPunk, Feb 08, 2012
4.01/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Chocolade Koffie Stout last week for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Oddsides and I'm always down to try some new beers from them and this one sounds pretty good, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, but it's a little simple looking and it's not too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of fluffy darker tan head that died down a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking stout, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of coffee and chocolate aromas with the coffee having a nice good cup of coffee like aroma to it and the chocolate aspect reminded me a little of chocolate syrup. Up next comes some slightly grainy and roasted malt like aromas with a slight charred aroma in the background. This beer had a very nice aroma, it reminded me of a mocha coffee.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts with a somewhat lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of coffee and chocolate still being the first to show up and the combination makes for a nice mocha coffee like flavor. Up next comes some grainy and roasted malt flavors with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's a slight watery flavor with a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness that had bitter coffee taste to it with some nice roasted, coffee and light chocolate like flavors in the aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, but i wish it was a little less grainy and watery.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, a little creamy, a little watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was a little thicker and creamier.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and good example of a Coffee Stout, it had enough coffee to fit into the Coffee Stout category and while the chocolate didn't stick out as much it still added a little to this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little creamy, a little watery, not filling at all and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a couple of these in a row, but after that I think I would want to switch it up. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both very nice and they were just what I would want from this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but it wish it was a little thicker and creamier. I would buy this beer again, but I don't know if I would get a six pack of it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Coffee Stouts. All in all I enjoyed this beer and it suited my craving for a Coffee Stout. It isn't my favorite Coffee Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout is till my favorite, but this I thought this beer was good in it's own right, but there was still room for improvement, especially in the mouthfeel. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Feb 01, 2014