Morningwood - Odd Side Ales

MorningwoodMorningwood

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SupaCelt on 12-12-2011)
Reviews by BreakfastStout:
4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Living in Grand Haven, I've been extremely critical of Odd Side Ales in the past. Some of the shit they put in their beer just astounds me. Habanero?!? Give me a break. So when we stopped out last night after already having a Bells and then a Guiness stout, I wasn't expecting much. I ordered a flight and it was typical disappointing blah, until I hit their Instigator IPA. This 8% abv taste treat is soon to be bottled according to Eric. Nice! As I was working my way through the flight, a chocking down the aforementioned habanero swill, I saw this little beauty in the cooler. It said Limited Edition, and was not on tap so I had to wait until tonight to sample it. Nice! A local Bourbon barrel aged stout! I so fucking excited...

Pours black as night with a small 1 inch head that lingers. Lacing stays on my Founder Tulip through out the entire test. Nose is brunt coffee with a hint of fruity chocolate. The taste initially reminds me of Founder Imperial Stout, but then I get the slight bourbon kick near the end. I wish the bourbon was a bit more up front. This would truly be a great beer if it was. By the way, I was told this latest batch was at 10% ABV. It's very evident as I work my way through this beer. Mouth feel is thick chocolate on the tongue. Nice job Odd Side! You're finally stepping it up. I can't wait to find Instigator IPA in the bottle! Hurry up!

BreakfastStout, Feb 01, 2014

DanGeo, Feb 14, 2014
1.94/5  rDev -52.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Jeff for splitting the bottle with Kevin and I. I've been enjoying lots of Odd Side stuff recently, so what could be better than a barrel-aged stout with coffee? Morningwood is a nearly jet-black color with a deep, deep brown outline. There's literally no head that forms, even after a straight-down pour; only a pathetic, beige collar works its way out begrudgingly. No carbonation = not a good sign.

The aroma isn't... bad. I think. Well, I'm not really sure. It's got some good stuff *in* it; some sweet chocolates, lightly sweet dark fruits, a touch of burnt coffee beans, and very light amounts of oak and bourbon. So far, these are many things you'd expect from a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout, yes? Well, of course.

The trouble lies in a weird, almost tart and sour-like aroma that cascades throughout the rest of the aromatic profile; overpowering, distracting, and unwarranted. It smells infected, it really does. There's a big different between dark-fruit sweetness and downright infected tartness. I really feel that this funky, sour smell should not be plaguing this stout.

But the smell isn't even the worst part... The taste is. The first sip makes the infected tartness even more noticeable, as it attacks the palate right away. A semi-sour bout of something like apple skins, cherry skins, and vinegar. There's no way those flavors are intended, and if they are - they don't work here. Based on the many positive reviews, though, I have to assume that this was a mistake.

The first sign was probably the lack of carbonation. Perhaps the bottle wasn't properly capped and the beer feel victim to oxidation and infection. There are some bourbon, oak, and coffee flavors in each sip, but the sickening sour flavor is too much to handle. We tried to put these back, but sadly, they ended up in the drain.

There's no way this was intentional. I don't believe it, because there's no way people would enjoy a beer that tasted like this one did. I'd love to find either another bottle of this or have it on tap, just so I can give it a fair chance. I really believe this was an infection, but until I'm completely sure, I just can't give this beer a good rating.

tectactoe, Jul 06, 2013

bigaddy, Apr 06, 2014

KCBeerNerd, Jun 09, 2014

Prager62, Jun 29, 2014
4.46/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. No freshness date. Bottle courtesy of mjshearer1.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch light brown head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small center patch of sheer surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves a jagged ring behind.

S- Incredibly chocolaty aroma with a bunch of caramel as well. Smells like chocolate cake. Also some vanilla and burnt sugar.

T- Flavor isn't quite as sweet as the aroma would have you expect. More notes of milk chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The dark roast and light bourbon notes provide a nice balance to the decadent sweetness. Dark chocolate and mild coffee in the aftertaste.

M- Soft and thick with medium-low carbonation and a full body.

O- A wonderful dessert beer. Way more chocolate than coffee but that's all right. So smooth, rich and luscious. Would love to have access to this on a regular basis.

Immortale25, Apr 25, 2014

joshrosborne, Feb 18, 2014

Syracuse12, May 10, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ales Morningwood last week for $4.49 at The Lager Mill. I was happy to hear that Oddsides decided to distribute a small amount of this beer and I was happy to get my hands on a couple bottles, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, but it's a little plain looking and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that was a little creamy and it died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by a big chocolate aroma being the first to show up and it's got a nice hot chocolate and fudge like aroma to it with some noticeable coffee and roasted malts in the background. Up next comes the bourbon barrel which mixes well with the chocolate and coffee aromas and it imparts a real nice vanilla and a nice but slightly lighter bourbon aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked how well the barrel mixed with the chocolate and coffee aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's slightly lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by chocolate still being the first to show up with a nice fresh coffee flavor and some roasted malt flavors in the background. Up next comes a slight caramel flavor followed by some bourbon barrel flavors which are a little on the lighter side and they impart a nice vanilla flavor with some lighter bourbon flavors in the background. On the finish there's a slight alcohol flavor with a very slight coffee like bitterness with some coffee, chocolate, and bourbon barrel flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, the bourbon barrel was on the lighter side, but it complemented this beer nicely.

M- Smooth, a little rich, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium boded with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very nice example of Non imperial stout that's barrel aged, it had great balance to it with just enough complexity to keep me coming back for more and I'm drinking this a little faster than I expected. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, a little rich, a little creamy, not too filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I would have no problem drinking few of these and I can't say that for hardly any other barrel aged stouts and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a nice winter mourning. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, the barrel wasn't overpowering and the chocolate and coffee worked nicely with it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything I disliked or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they release it again, I got my two bottle limit, but I would buy more if I saw it and I would recommend it to anybody that doesn't mind barrel aged stouts that are on the lighter side. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I thought the barrel showed up pretty nice in this beer even though it was still a little on the lighter side and I think the barrel showed up better and worked out better than it did in the barrel aged version of Mayan Mocha Stout. This beer proves that barrel aging just isn't for imperial Stouts and that it's possible to make a barrel aged stout that's fairly sessionable, it's like a lighter version of some of my favorite barrel aged imperial stouts. Great job guys, keep up the awesome work, this beer just earned a spot as one of my favorite Oddside beers.

StoutHunter, Feb 17, 2014

Zaphog, Dec 17, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at HopCat, as part of their Wood and Wild Ales Festival 2012. Served in a tulip.

Deep brown/black body with a brown head. Light retention and a bit of lacing. Nose has a whole lot of bourbon and chocolate right up fornt, some milder roast, hazelnut and vanilla. Taste has about the same, loads of bourbon, milk chocolate, cocoa and roast are predominant. Some vanilla as well. Lower medium carbonation, and super smooth body. No alcohol. A surprisingly delicious beer, one of the highlights of the festival.

liamt07, Nov 23, 2012

ROBSTARR, Jan 13, 2013

BEERschlitz, Feb 07, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -20%

mwbrady12, Jul 29, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks to my parents for opening up a bottle of this straight from the brewery, and huge thanks to jale for getting me a second bottle to enjoy with the DC group.

Served in a snifter.

Pours near-black with a good tan head. Thin collar throughout. The nose brings forward some great coffee and bourbon notes. Really complex and interesting. Uber-smooth and integrated. Chocolate and very faint roast in the background. Flavor doesn't quite hit notes as high as the nose, but still quite good. Medium-full body without any booze and a chewy nature. I like the fairly-low-ABV stout with extra additions. Solid brew and the best I've had from Odd Side to date.

Thorpe429, Jan 02, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Oh yeah Morningwood one of my fav beers of alltime!!!... oh wait, not Funky Buddha... well shit... I hope this is decent.
Thanks to rudzud for trolling me with this one.

Super dark smaller fizzy fluffy like head fades fairly quickly, light lacing, long legs, pitch black color. Ok but not at 7%.

Nose big fudgey dark choc, thick choc cake like, with nice barrel notes, nice bourbon, some vanilla, little roasted coffee, caramel and fudge candy, nutty toffee notes.

Taste big thick creamy fudgey choc, lush cocoa and dark choc, creamy milky choc, etc, little roasted coffee. Then mild vanilla barrel, faint cocoa nibs like cocoa flavor, mild but nice bourbon, little barrel juice even, and little caramel. Mild bitterness. Finish brings more cocoa fudgey choc, more bitterness, little barrel vanilla and bourbon. Little alcohol note on the finish. This really doesn't seems like only 7%.

Mouth is med to fuller bod, maybe slightly thin, little booze warmth, bit thick and fudgey, lighter carb too.

Overall pretty nice, great malts, nice barrel notes too, but some mild flaws prevent it from being higher. Feels more like a 9% beer than a 7%, but still pretty good, still pales in comparison to the Funky Buddha version.

jlindros, Sep 28, 2014