Morningwood - Odd Side Ales

MorningwoodMorningwood

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: SupaCelt on 12-12-2011)
Reviews by SupaCelt:
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

This stout was brewed with coffee and aged in a bourbon barrel. It was available in bottles in limited quantity at the brewpub. The pour produced a substantial head midway between foamy and creamy that remained for the duration of the drink. Lacing proliferated above the lovely brown liquid.

The nose was notably woody with some pleasing roast and chocolate notes. Bourbon fumes rose up to meet the olfactory bulbs during the process of sipping. A very nice treat for the senses.

The taste had just the right amount of woodiness without overpowering the delicious stout nuances. The coffee flavor was mild and utterly delightful. Roasty chocolate notes made a robust bed for the wood and coffee to float upon. This brew was very enjoyable to view and drink.

The mouthfeel was fluffy and supported the taste profile marvelously. It carried a medium body bordering on thick, but just a pinch lighter which made quaffing dangerously easy. Superb.

Overall this was a great bottle. I count myself lucky to have been able to procure a vessel of this. Cheers to Odd Side Ales. This was a nice treat. I am happy to see this brewer having success and making delicious ales for us to enjoy. Another great piece of the great beer state!

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

2014 version is 9.5% abv.
Superior to the Hipster though noobs will say different since it has the buzzword "maple" in it.
Comparing either of these to KBS seems popular now, but is folly.

For this however, think of a barrel aged FBS, it is very nice.

1.94/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Jeff for splitting the bottle with Kevin and I. I've been enjoying lots of Odd Side stuff recently, so what could be better than a barrel-aged stout with coffee? Morningwood is a nearly jet-black color with a deep, deep brown outline. There's literally no head that forms, even after a straight-down pour; only a pathetic, beige collar works its way out begrudgingly. No carbonation = not a good sign.

The aroma isn't... bad. I think. Well, I'm not really sure. It's got some good stuff *in* it; some sweet chocolates, lightly sweet dark fruits, a touch of burnt coffee beans, and very light amounts of oak and bourbon. So far, these are many things you'd expect from a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout, yes? Well, of course.

The trouble lies in a weird, almost tart and sour-like aroma that cascades throughout the rest of the aromatic profile; overpowering, distracting, and unwarranted. It smells infected, it really does. There's a big different between dark-fruit sweetness and downright infected tartness. I really feel that this funky, sour smell should not be plaguing this stout.

But the smell isn't even the worst part... The taste is. The first sip makes the infected tartness even more noticeable, as it attacks the palate right away. A semi-sour bout of something like apple skins, cherry skins, and vinegar. There's no way those flavors are intended, and if they are - they don't work here. Based on the many positive reviews, though, I have to assume that this was a mistake.

The first sign was probably the lack of carbonation. Perhaps the bottle wasn't properly capped and the beer feel victim to oxidation and infection. There are some bourbon, oak, and coffee flavors in each sip, but the sickening sour flavor is too much to handle. We tried to put these back, but sadly, they ended up in the drain.

There's no way this was intentional. I don't believe it, because there's no way people would enjoy a beer that tasted like this one did. I'd love to find either another bottle of this or have it on tap, just so I can give it a fair chance. I really believe this was an infection, but until I'm completely sure, I just can't give this beer a good rating.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Picked up a couple bottles to try out and was not disappointed.

The base to this beer is solid and I could see how previous year's was lacking body. The coffee added really takes things to another level, very smooth. Once you add in the barrel aging, it adds some vanilla to the mix. To me it resembles something along the lines of Bailey's and Cream.

Overall this is probably one of the best barrel aged coffee stouts I have had, it has it all if you like barrel aged coffee imperial stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. No freshness date. Bottle courtesy of mjshearer1.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch light brown head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small center patch of sheer surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves a jagged ring behind.

S- Incredibly chocolaty aroma with a bunch of caramel as well. Smells like chocolate cake. Also some vanilla and burnt sugar.

T- Flavor isn't quite as sweet as the aroma would have you expect. More notes of milk chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The dark roast and light bourbon notes provide a nice balance to the decadent sweetness. Dark chocolate and mild coffee in the aftertaste.

M- Soft and thick with medium-low carbonation and a full body.

O- A wonderful dessert beer. Way more chocolate than coffee but that's all right. So smooth, rich and luscious. Would love to have access to this on a regular basis.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ales Morningwood last week for $4.49 at The Lager Mill. I was happy to hear that Oddsides decided to distribute a small amount of this beer and I was happy to get my hands on a couple bottles, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, but it's a little plain looking and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that was a little creamy and it died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by a big chocolate aroma being the first to show up and it's got a nice hot chocolate and fudge like aroma to it with some noticeable coffee and roasted malts in the background. Up next comes the bourbon barrel which mixes well with the chocolate and coffee aromas and it imparts a real nice vanilla and a nice but slightly lighter bourbon aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked how well the barrel mixed with the chocolate and coffee aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's slightly lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by chocolate still being the first to show up with a nice fresh coffee flavor and some roasted malt flavors in the background. Up next comes a slight caramel flavor followed by some bourbon barrel flavors which are a little on the lighter side and they impart a nice vanilla flavor with some lighter bourbon flavors in the background. On the finish there's a slight alcohol flavor with a very slight coffee like bitterness with some coffee, chocolate, and bourbon barrel flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, the bourbon barrel was on the lighter side, but it complemented this beer nicely.

M- Smooth, a little rich, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium boded with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very nice example of Non imperial stout that's barrel aged, it had great balance to it with just enough complexity to keep me coming back for more and I'm drinking this a little faster than I expected. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, a little rich, a little creamy, not too filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I would have no problem drinking few of these and I can't say that for hardly any other barrel aged stouts and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a nice winter mourning. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, the barrel wasn't overpowering and the chocolate and coffee worked nicely with it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything I disliked or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they release it again, I got my two bottle limit, but I would buy more if I saw it and I would recommend it to anybody that doesn't mind barrel aged stouts that are on the lighter side. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I thought the barrel showed up pretty nice in this beer even though it was still a little on the lighter side and I think the barrel showed up better and worked out better than it did in the barrel aged version of Mayan Mocha Stout. This beer proves that barrel aging just isn't for imperial Stouts and that it's possible to make a barrel aged stout that's fairly sessionable, it's like a lighter version of some of my favorite barrel aged imperial stouts. Great job guys, keep up the awesome work, this beer just earned a spot as one of my favorite Oddside beers.

Morningwood from Odd Side Ales