Bourbon Barrel Aged Citra Pale Ale - Odd Side Ales

Bourbon Barrel Aged Citra Pale AleBourbon Barrel Aged Citra Pale Ale

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnnieNepal on 04-21-2013)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ales Bourbon Barrel Aged Citra Pale Ale a couple days ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I'm a big fan of Citra Pale Ale, but I've never had the Bourbon barrel aged version before and i'm interested to see how this beer takes to being barrel aged, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it's very similar to the non barrel aged version, but this one has a barrel on it and it lets you know that it's a Pale Ale aged in Bourbon barrel, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a orange tinted gold color that took on more of a golden hue when held to to the light with a finger and a half of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being on the higher side and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up and it imparts that signature citra hop profile that I was expecting with some juicy citrus and tropical fruit like aromas and it's followed by a light sweet malt and pale malt like aroma with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes the barrel which shows up on the slightly lighter side of medium and it imparts some nice caramel, bourbon and vanilla aromas, This beer had a very nice aroma, the combination of citra hop and bourbon barrel worked much better then I expected them to.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart those same great Citra hop aspects that they did in the aroma and there's also some light sweet malt and pale malt like flavors with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the bourbon barrels which impart those same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's also a nice light butterscotch like flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that lingers slightly into the aftertaste and it mixes with the bourbon barrel and Citra hop flavors. This was a very nice tasting beer, I have no complaints at all.

M- Pretty smooth, a little complex, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of a Bourbon barrel aged IPA, I know Oddsides calls the base a Pale Ale, but it's pretty much right on the border of being an IPA in all aspects so I think it fits nicely into the category. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, a little complex, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these, it's a nice change to have a beer that has a nice bourbon barrel flavor without being a strong beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance between the citra hops and the bourbon barrels, they each showed up just the right amount and they work very nicely together and I wasn't expecting that. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't any off aspects or anything that I would change, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they release it again, I got another bottle, but if i see anymore next time i go to the store I will get a few a more. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes bourbon barrel aged IPA's. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I wasn't a 100% sure how the citra hops would work with the bourbon barrels, but they turned out to be a good match that worked out way better then I expected. This is up there as one of the better Oddside beers I have had, oddsides does a great job at making bourbon barrel aged beer that have drinkability to them and that's something I don't see often and I appreciate Oddsides for filling in the gap. Great job guys, keep on making those great and creative beers.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 120z bottle into a pint glass. Appearance is a murky rust brown color, not all that pleasing to the eyes.

Smells a little funky. Definite citrus, obviously from the citra hops, but the slightest hint of whiskey gives it a funky smell, reminiscent of a Long Island iced tea.

Taste is a bit disappointing, though not horribly disappointing as I'm only slightly a fan of OddSides CPA to begin with. Tastes exactly as it smells, like CPA but with a whiskey mixing with fruit funk.

Mouthfeel is nothing to write home about, heavy, slight whiskey, stale fruit, not too appealing.

Overall I'm just a little let down that their BA-CPA is a total flop.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by stillmatic2232, thanks man!

Pours a golden yellow/color, with a small half inch head, and not much lacing.

Smells like orange, pineapple, bourbon, and a small amount of oak. This also smells a tiny bit tart if you really focus.

The only barrel I'm really getting out of this is the straightforward bourbon flavor, which melds really well with the juicy hop flavors of this single hop Citra pale ale. There is a tiny bit of oak. Only mildly bitter, mostly just juicy. Almost like you dropped a very small shot of bourbon into a fairly solid Citra pale ale. The mild tartness noted in the aroma is not at all present in the taste.

Light bodied, which makes sense given the lower ABV. Low carbonation. Very drinkable, easy going bourbon barrel aged beer here.

This worked really well, despite my misgivings. It'll never be my favorite style of beer, but it's got a lot of uniqueness to it.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Citra Pale Ale from Odd Side Ales