Java Chip Mint Stout - Odd Side Ales

to view more.
Ratings: 174 | Reviews: 25
Reviews by pmarlowe:
4.02/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

On tap at Pete's Place. It's awesome to see Odd Side Ales pumping out so many different brews, I've really liked just about everything I've had from them so far. It comes out looking pitch black, and except for the very, very top of the brew, there is absolutely no light coming through. The frothy, creamy, espresso colored head transforms slowly into a skin and leaves only a few chunks of lacing behind.

I take a few whiffs, and I'm immediately reminded of a York Peppermint Patty - it smells almost exactly like them. Rounds of deep, dark chocolate, semi-sweet with a lightly roasted underbody. Light mint and peppermint aromas ride along the smooth wave of cocoa and give that huge peppermint candy vibe. Not getting much coffee on the nose, except for maybe a hint of roast; this one is otherwise dominated by the cocoa and the mint.

Contrary to what the aroma says, the first sip leads with a sizable heap of coffee beans; delectable roast and a large amount of coffee edges its way to the forefront of the flavor profile and attacks your taste buds before all else. It isn't until the middle onward when the dark chocolate and minty-York flavors pop out, revealing a nicely balanced, sweeter edge.

As this beer warms, the flavors seem to traverse a bit and the mint-chocolate gets stronger while the java-coffee takes a bit of a backseat. My least favorite thing about this beer is probably the body... It just doesn't feel as huge as I'd like it to; it's actually pretty thin. Carbonation is adequate, but the mouth feel falls just short of creamy and chewy, which is how I'd like a java mint stout to feel.

All in all, another great brew from Odd Side. They seem to have their own mini-market in the American Stout business and candy-like adjuncts (Peanut Butter Cup, Dutch Chocolate, Java Chip Mint, etc.) and it seems to be doing pretty well. Unique and tasty, this would be a nice beer to enjoy with a huge bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This stout is thick, showing some good viscosity, and nearly black in color. A nice, big froth of brown head rests easily and strongly just taller than one finger. Solid patching in good quantity shows solid structure in the lacing.
The mint is strong on the nose, a leafy mint not quite as sugary-cool as spearmint, but definitely displaying a likeness, certainly more than a mint like peppermint. When the milk and dark chocolate come in, it's distinctively like chocolate chip slivers in the nose. Slightly more distinction would clarify things, but this beer hits the mark in smelling like mint chocolate, and the roast gives a note of coffee grounds that brings it all together.
The taste is similar, chocolaty and roasty with an undeniable mint flavor, but a bit of tang comes in and mars it some.
The feel is smooth. It's not as viscous by any means as it looks but it has a nice, full body with some richness to it.

4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance- Dark suede black syrupy color with a light chocolate color head that quickly recedes, little to no lacing. Not overly impressive but it is what it is.

S- DAMN! This one smells like an awesome desert beer. I am picking up heavy aromas of mint, along with coffee, milk chocolate, and a boozy alcohol smell.

T/M- This one taste great it first hits the palate with a chocolate mint sweetness and then mellows out with a coffee bitterness. The mouthfeel of this one is silky and smooth, a little on the lighter end but does have a medium body to it.

Overall, I really like this one and am loving the consistent product and number of beers that Oddside has been putting out lately. For what this beer lacks in body it makes up for in flavor and drinkability. This is a good one and definitely worth seeking out.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 6-pack after tasting one of these at Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven MI.
A - Dark brown or black with little or no head.
S - Fantastic aroma, smells like when you peel the foil off a York Peppermint Pattie.
T - Tastes like a Peppermint Pattie, dark chocolate and mint.
M - Thinner than I would like. Very little carbonation.
O - In a perfect world a beer like this pours with a thick head and has a chewy mouth feel like a milk shake. OK, so this is not that beer but it is pretty darn good. They nailed the peppermint chocolate flavor. You are probably not going to drink more than one of these at a time but it is a good desert beer.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Inky black body. Remarkably dark for a regular stout. Nice khaki head that settles quickly. Thin collar remains.

Smell - Mint. Enormous amount of peppermint. Coffee and dark chocolate.

Taste - Coffee is more assertive here, but peppermint still dominates. Hint of a soda-like flavor from the mint. Dark chocolate on the finish.

Mouthfeel - The peppermint is a sharp flavor in an otherwise rich stout. I think a slightly smaller dose would serve to balance it more than dominate it.

Overall - I really like the concept. Spot on mint java chip flavor.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black with an light brown head about 1/2 finger.

Smell - So mint chocolatey. It smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream. There is a slight underlying smell of coffee but not as much compared to the mint and chocolate. No getting any alcohol in the nose.

Taste - Defintiely an interesting flavor profile. Starts out with chocolate and mint. The mint carries it's flavor almost throughout the entire taste and after the intial chocolate you also get the coffee flavors. There is a mixture of dark roast, and spent coffee grounds, and bread, sweet and also slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, light/medium carbonation, refreshing and smooth.

Overall - Good beer. I wasn't sure what to expect but I defintely not dissapointed. For me this beer made me think of eating mint chocolate ice cream which I also like.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle into Tulip.... thanks jas45678

Dark leather brown in color, 3/4in. light mocha colored head that fell fast, left a ring but that went away about halfway thru the glass...

Smell was coffee, fudge and mint...

Taste was the same... fudgy taste.. mint is not overpowering.. people describe it like a ice cream.. to me more of a chocolate mint bar from godiva... slight coffee in there as well along with a good hoppiness to balance everything out...

Medium in body... medium to light in carbonation...

Overall... well my second offering from oddside and this brewery is putting out some good brews... you would think by hearing the name it would be too sweet or too minty but its not... its damn good stout base... and the way they incorporated the mint is unique and it works well.. the one complaint I have is I wish it were more creamer.. for my taste that would of made this a 4.5 or higher. .if this was on nitro I'd drink it every day... still very very very good and could drink a bunch and would seek out again..

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a 12 oz snifter.

A: Deep dark black, one finger of fine brown head. It's a coffee stout - its dark. Check.

S: Coffee, mint, chocolate, mint, mint, mint.

T: Rich toasted malts, strong rich dark roasted coffee (its dark but just before burnt), the mint is omnipresent and perfectly balanced. Dark chocolate. Unlike other mint beers I've had this is minty without being astringent or biting - think gum, not toothpaste. Very mild but welcome hoppy finish helps balance the mint.

M: Rich, thick, molasses. Medium carbonation, perfect for the release of flavors.

O: A very unique style done well and worth a try, or a try again. Not your everyday stout but a perfect winter alternative for mint chocolate chip ice cream.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in 10oz snifter at Coach's Bar & Grill in Stevensville, MI for $4.50. Taste not bad, but initial taste didn't have heavy flavor hit. At least that flavor held quite well on the pallet.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

poured into snifter... not much head, not much carbonation, smells very minty, nice deep dark color... more peppermint as beer warms and coffee fades, very good as a desert beer, recommend if you like york peppermint patties you'd really like this one.

4.19/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is black as expected. It is topped with less than an inch of mocha head.

S - It kind of smells like a York Peppermint Patty. I get some dark chocolate and peppermint.

T - When I taste a Java Chip Mint Stout I get the sensation of cold, crisp mountain air against my face as I race towards liftoff at the Whole World Championship ski jump. Seriously, it is like drinking a York Peppermint Patty or a Junior Mint. It is very refreshing. The coffee is shows itself in a slightly bitter black coffee finish.

M - Medium to full.

O - This is my second try of this beer, and my first mint stout. I like it a lot. I never would have guessed this would be so good. I like Odd Side Ales more with every beer I try.

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. No freshness date.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch light brown head that retains decently before turning into a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and no surface foam. Barely any lacing to speak of. Looks flat and lifeless.

S- Full-on peppermint patty-like mint chocolate sweetness with a touch of caramel.

T- Flavor follows suit but the dark roast makes things manageable (I don't like mint chocolate) providing a roasty bitterness to counteract the intense mint and sweetness. This might sound crazy, but I wish there was more alcohol flavor to offset the sweetness and make the mint taste more worthwhile.

M- Somewhat thick and dry with medium-low carbonation and a fullish body. Another problem with this beer is there's not enough carbonation to keep things lively.

O- I admit, I'm not a fan of mint chocolate beers but this one's not bad compared to others I've had. Just wish there was more carbonation and alcohol to make it more interesting.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

Very good beer to enjoy with some rich milk chocolate.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ale's Java Chip Mint Stout last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been looking forward to this one for a couple weeks, I've only had one other mint Stout and i enjoyed it and I'm interested to see what Oddsides can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black and it didn't really let any light come through with a little over a fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted and very chocolate heavy aroma with some lighter coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes the mint which shows up nicely and the combination of the mint and the chocolate aromas make for an aroma that this very similar to a thin mint cookie. This beer had a very nice aroma, it smells just like I hoped it would.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those roasted malt and chocolate aspects that I got in the aroma with the chocolate still sticking out the most and there's a light coffee flavor in the background along with a slight grainy flavor. Up next comes the mint that's a little lighter than it was it was the aroma, but it's still very noticeable and it works well with the chocolate flavors. On the finish there's a fairly low amount of bitterness with a chocolate, light coffee and mint like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, but I wish that the coffee showed up just a little more.

M- Smooth, slightly watery, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was slightly thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and nice example of a Mint Stout, the mint seemed to be at just at the right and level and when combined with the chocolate aspect it really did resemble a thin mint cookie. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little watery, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but the mint might start to wear on me after that and I think this makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the winter time. What I like the most about this beer was the balance between the chocolate and mint aspects, it was very thin mint cookie like. What I liked the lest about this beer was that the mouthfeel, it was a little on the thin side for the style and I wish the coffee aspect showed up a little more. I would buy this again, but I don't think I'll get a six pack and it would make for a nice alternative to Naughty Girl Stout. I would recommend this to people who like mint stouts. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, when it comes down to it I enjoy Right Brains Naughty Girl Stout more, but this is still a pretty nice beer and i'm glad Oddsides decided to distribute it. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work.

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Looks like your average stout, black with a thin brown head that sits for a short time.

S: The mint is apparent here, adding a cool, minty note to the coffee beer background. It's nearly approaching Thin Mint cookie levels of aromatic deliciousness. The nose definitely sets up high expectations.

T: Somewhat of a letdown here. The mint is much more subtle than the nose let on and gets lost in the typical coffee beer sharpness.

M: Feel is much too thin. This is the kind of body you shoot for with a passable porter. If you want to call it a proper American stout, you need a bigger body. No surprise from Odd Side in this department though.

O: It seems like every other release from Odd Side is a coffee beer, and I for one think it's played out. We get it, craft lovers like coffee and coffee beers, but there's no need for one brewery to beat it to death. Whatever coffee magic they employed to make their Chocolade Koffie stout was nowhere to be found here. Just your typical harsh beer coffee covering up a novel ingredient that had more potential without the java beans. Until these guys quit the barista act and make some full-bodied beers, I don't think I'll be giving them any more of my money. Admittedly though, this was a fair beer, and if you like coffee beers this is obviously for you.

3.01/5  rDev -22.4%

I made an excursion out to MichiCAN in early February to visit a college buddy and attend a Belgian Beer Fest. It turned out to be one of those events that I was glad that I can say that I have been to, but I probably won't do it again. In the meantime, we did some beer shopping during my visit and this was an intriguing bottle score at Plum Market in Ann Arbor. Wait until I get to the CANs! For some reason, its name puts me in mind of an '80's SoCal skate punk band's signature song, "Donut Shop Rock" by Doggy Style. Donut Shop Rock, Java Chip Mint, it makes sense to me.

From the bottle: "Stout with coffee and peppermint tea added".

I Pop!ped off the cap and commenced an aggro pour which still only produced a brief finger of deep-tan/light-brown head with limited retention. Color was back in Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was minty and chocolaty, but somehow muted. I do not know what I was expecting, but this seemed to be below that threshold. I then decided to allow it to warm, in the hopes of bringing out more of its esters. Sadly, not much changed. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was really understated, more like a vaguely minty stout, but the coffee seemed to have been wasted. Finish was semi-dry, slightly minty, but overall, a swing and a miss.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours black/dark brown with a creamy carbonated sticky 2 finger head that fades quickly to a small bit of head that goes away fast. Leaves almost zero lacing on glass.

S: .... Thin mint cookies and coffee beans ! Chocolate milk (lol) !

T: Sticky crisp minty flavor with coffee and chocolate combined. Light bodied and crisp. Corbonated a little bit more than Id like it to be. Has an espresso like characteristic to it. The flavor hits quick and fades quick. Which is nice. The mint is not overpowering, in fact.. its just right !

M: Carbonated, thin thin thin.. yet crisp and albeit refreshing. An unusual and almost wrong(..?) characteristic of a stout... but it works well with these flavors

Really another interesting+great brew by Odd Side! Love em.

Is it a stout that drinks like a pilsner? What the huh>? I like it tho. and would recommend ... as a change of "stout-scenery"

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a deep black with a one-finger foamy tan head. Head dissapates very quickly.

S - Lots of mint. Also hints of chocolate.

T - Lots of roasted malts and coffee upfront. The mint produces a nice sweetness throughout. Finish is subtle mint.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin. Nice crisp dry finish.

O - Good beer and better than I expected. Would make a nice dessert beer.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown ale, no head. Has a strong chocolate aroma with a touch of mint. Taste is chocolate, roasted malts, and a nice dose of mint. The balance is very nice, and the mint doesn’t come off too strong. Has a medium body feel, with very little carbonation. I would drink this again.

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 1/20/2014. Pours moderately murky/cloudy pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, mint, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, dark bread, herbal, and roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with well balanced dark/roast malt, coffee, and mint notes; with good strength. Taste of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, mint, coffee, toast, dark bread, herbal, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted bitterness and cooling mint on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, roast, mint, coffee, dark bread, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, and mint flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a creamy, smooth, and lightly chalky/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice flavored stout. All around good balance and robustness of dark/roasted malt, coffee, and mint flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Flavors are exactly what you would expect from Odd Side, these people really know how to layer and intertwine beer flavors correctly. The price is reasonable at about 2.50 a 12oz bottle, and availability is very good as well. I would highly recommend this beer to a stout person who enjoys coffee and mint and doesnt mind a lighter feel.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

$2.19 single (or $2.29) just poured into a shaker pint. Bottled 1/20/14, poured 2/4/14.

Appearance: Dark brown or a black sort of color with a little head that bubbles away basically before guessing the height. Floaters galore, as well as a good amount of yeast at the bottom.

Smell: You get what you pay for. Mint, chocolate, and a little bit of that coffee as well. I've also had their regular Mint Stout, and this smells similar, but with a bit less mint.

Taste/feel: Quite nice, if relatively mild. Mint is definitely there, then just a vague sort of roastiness. Not a big depth of flavor, but good. I feel like this drinks more like a porter than a stout, since it has a thin mouthfeel. For a stout, underwhelming feel. There's a fair amount of sweetness to this beer to make it drinkable along with the fairly thin mouthfeel.

Good beer. Highly drinkable. Nice flavor... I just wanted a little bit more, as it drinks fairly light. The mint flavor is fine, but a little more chocolate/java/roast on the finish or something would really spruce it up, especially if the beer was thickened up a bit in the process. Surprise, surprise -- another well done beer from Odd Side. I preferred the regular Mint Stout by a tick, but I had that one on tap. The java in this one is quite nice, but it's mild, and after a handful of sips, it didn't really stand out anymore.

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good beer, but not as dominant mint flavor as I was expecting....

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Thought this would be another "Naughty Girl" but this is a new level. The mint is definitely apparent. However the Stout is a stand alone success.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

It’s pretty much as advertised. Aromas of roasted barley and coffee and cocoa and mint in pretty much that order. Certainly an interesting combination and the flavor remains true - a nice beer, and it would be very easy to turn this brew into a train wreck of flavor but oddside did a good job.

to view more.