Java Chip Mint Stout - Odd Side Ales

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: tectactoe on 06-12-2013

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This stout is thick, showing some good viscosity, and nearly black in color. A nice, big froth of brown head rests easily and strongly just taller than one finger. Solid patching in good quantity shows solid structure in the lacing.
The mint is strong on the nose, a leafy mint not quite as sugary-cool as spearmint, but definitely displaying a likeness, certainly more than a mint like peppermint. When the milk and dark chocolate come in, it's distinctively like chocolate chip slivers in the nose. Slightly more distinction would clarify things, but this beer hits the mark in smelling like mint chocolate, and the roast gives a note of coffee grounds that brings it all together.
The taste is similar, chocolaty and roasty with an undeniable mint flavor, but a bit of tang comes in and mars it some.
The feel is smooth. It's not as viscous by any means as it looks but it has a nice, full body with some richness to it.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle into Tulip.... thanks jas45678

Dark leather brown in color, 3/4in. light mocha colored head that fell fast, left a ring but that went away about halfway thru the glass...

Smell was coffee, fudge and mint...

Taste was the same... fudgy taste.. mint is not overpowering.. people describe it like a ice cream.. to me more of a chocolate mint bar from godiva... slight coffee in there as well along with a good hoppiness to balance everything out...

Medium in body... medium to light in carbonation...

Overall... well my second offering from oddside and this brewery is putting out some good brews... you would think by hearing the name it would be too sweet or too minty but its not... its damn good stout base... and the way they incorporated the mint is unique and it works well.. the one complaint I have is I wish it were more creamer.. for my taste that would of made this a 4.5 or higher. .if this was on nitro I'd drink it every day... still very very very good and could drink a bunch and would seek out again..

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a 12 oz snifter.

A: Deep dark black, one finger of fine brown head. It's a coffee stout - its dark. Check.

S: Coffee, mint, chocolate, mint, mint, mint.

T: Rich toasted malts, strong rich dark roasted coffee (its dark but just before burnt), the mint is omnipresent and perfectly balanced. Dark chocolate. Unlike other mint beers I've had this is minty without being astringent or biting - think gum, not toothpaste. Very mild but welcome hoppy finish helps balance the mint.

M: Rich, thick, molasses. Medium carbonation, perfect for the release of flavors.

O: A very unique style done well and worth a try, or a try again. Not your everyday stout but a perfect winter alternative for mint chocolate chip ice cream.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black with an light brown head about 1/2 finger.

Smell - So mint chocolatey. It smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream. There is a slight underlying smell of coffee but not as much compared to the mint and chocolate. No getting any alcohol in the nose.

Taste - Defintiely an interesting flavor profile. Starts out with chocolate and mint. The mint carries it's flavor almost throughout the entire taste and after the intial chocolate you also get the coffee flavors. There is a mixture of dark roast, and spent coffee grounds, and bread, sweet and also slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, light/medium carbonation, refreshing and smooth.

Overall - Good beer. I wasn't sure what to expect but I defintely not dissapointed. For me this beer made me think of eating mint chocolate ice cream which I also like.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown ale, no head. Has a strong chocolate aroma with a touch of mint. Taste is chocolate, roasted malts, and a nice dose of mint. The balance is very nice, and the mint doesn’t come off too strong. Has a medium body feel, with very little carbonation. I would drink this again.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Oddside Ale's Java Chip Mint Stout last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been looking forward to this one for a couple weeks, I've only had one other mint Stout and i enjoyed it and I'm interested to see what Oddsides can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the border of being black and it didn't really let any light come through with a little over a fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted and very chocolate heavy aroma with some lighter coffee aromas in the background. Up next comes the mint which shows up nicely and the combination of the mint and the chocolate aromas make for an aroma that this very similar to a thin mint cookie. This beer had a very nice aroma, it smells just like I hoped it would.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those roasted malt and chocolate aspects that I got in the aroma with the chocolate still sticking out the most and there's a light coffee flavor in the background along with a slight grainy flavor. Up next comes the mint that's a little lighter than it was it was the aroma, but it's still very noticeable and it works well with the chocolate flavors. On the finish there's a fairly low amount of bitterness with a chocolate, light coffee and mint like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, but I wish that the coffee showed up just a little more.

M- Smooth, slightly watery, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was slightly thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and nice example of a Mint Stout, the mint seemed to be at just at the right and level and when combined with the chocolate aspect it really did resemble a thin mint cookie. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little watery, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these but the mint might start to wear on me after that and I think this makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the winter time. What I like the most about this beer was the balance between the chocolate and mint aspects, it was very thin mint cookie like. What I liked the lest about this beer was that the mouthfeel, it was a little on the thin side for the style and I wish the coffee aspect showed up a little more. I would buy this again, but I don't think I'll get a six pack and it would make for a nice alternative to Naughty Girl Stout. I would recommend this to people who like mint stouts. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, when it comes down to it I enjoy Right Brains Naughty Girl Stout more, but this is still a pretty nice beer and i'm glad Oddsides decided to distribute it. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work.

Java Chip Mint Stout from Odd Side Ales