Oh, Me So Hoppy To Wheat You - Odd Side Ales

Oh, Me So Hoppy To Wheat YouOh, Me So Hoppy To Wheat You

good

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 07-16-2013)
Reviews by dbc5:

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slightly cloudy, amber-colored, with a heavy lacing that sticks to the side of the glass. Smells fruity and citrusy. Even some bubble gum. Taste has citrus hits and is slightly bitter. This could pass as a sessionable IPA. Finishes clean and dry with some sweetness. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. This is a great lake beer. Overall, the label is a bit offensive, but this is a good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A- orange/amber in low indoor light. semi-transparent a bit hazy. Nice creamy head

S- Sweet citrus, light hops

T- Floral, hop flavor. floral, perfume/hop aftertaste that ain't bad and lasts a while. or as they say "lingers long time"

M- A little foamy, malty.

O- Usually like wheat beers. This is no exception. Floral hop flavor dominates and I have a thing for hops.

3.39/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - This beer is amber with golden highlights. It is topped with three inches of beige head.

S - The first thing I smell is caramel malt. This is a sweet smelling beer. Disappointing given the "hoppy' in the name. I do get some floral hops as it warms.

T - The taste is sweeter than I care for. I get little as far as hops goes. It has some toffee and caramel taste along with the wheat.

M - Smooth. The wheat makes for a smooth transition down my throat.

O - This is a disappointing beer. I have loved all the Odd Side Ales I have tried so far. This beer was way off the others. I will have to grab a Citra Pale Ale to cleanse my palate.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked up a six pack of Oh, Me So Hoppy To Wheat You a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. So far I haven't had a beer from OddSide that I haven't liked so i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, which sucks since the last two distributed beers from Oddside have had bottling dates, but it just showed up so I know it's pretty fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is a little outrageous, it has a Japanese like pagoda on the label and combined with the name and the quote "A derisious Wheat Ale with a hoppy finish that lingers long time" I could see how some people might find it a little offensive, I don't think it's bad, but it does push the boundary for appropriate labels, but I do like the new custom caps. It poured a fairly clear burnt orange color that took on some darker amber hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of fruity hop aromas, it seems like it's a 50/50 split of citrus and tropical fruits, with grapefruit, orange rinds, and pineapple seeming to stick out the most with a little bit of peach and mango in the background. Up next comes some light malt aromas with some bready and grainy aromas coming through and maybe a little bit of wheat, but I don't think I could guess this was a wheat beer by the aroma alone and there was also a slight doughy yeast aroma in the background. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I really like the hop profile and how fruity it was, but I wish the wheat came through much more in the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be not all that similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lighter amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops that have a sharp piney flavor to them with a really light amount of citrus fruit hops in the background that barely show up. Up next comes a light malt flavor with just a slight grainy flavor to it and not much else with a light amount of doughy yeast in the background and no wheat flavors showing up. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of high bitterness that really lingers just like the label states and it's right on the verge of being too much for this beer to handle and it had a bitter piney aftertaste,. I thought the taste was nice, but I wish the fruity aspects from the aroma showed up and i wish the wheat was at least a little noticeable, it's nice, but there's room for improvement.

M- Somewhat smooth, lingering bitterness, crisp, dry, slightly refreshing, a little watery, light bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and sessionable, but it was a little watery and the bitterness prevented it from being as smooth as it could be.

This was a nice beer, but I don't think it was the best example of a hoppy wheat ale simply because the wheat wasn't really that noticeable, and if I didn't read the label it would be pretty hard from me to pick out any wheat in any aspect of this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not filling, a little refreshing and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, but the bitterness was just too high for me to session this beer, one would be about enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance they were both pretty good with the aroma being my favorite because of the juicy and fruity hop profile. What I liked the least about this beer was how little the wheat showed up and how bitter the hops were, if those two were balanced out then I think this would be a pretty good beer. I might buy this beer again, but I'll for sure be getting Citra Pale Ale, and Simcoe Sensation much more than this beer and I would recommend this to anyone who likes bitter session IPA's. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it was far from my favorite Oddside beer and favorite of the style, I think it needs a little work, but it still has the potential to be a good beer and I appreciate the effort. So far this is my least favorite Oddside beer, better luck next time guys.

Oh, Me So Hoppy To Wheat You from Odd Side Ales