Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013

A light coffee note with gentle grains.
to view more.
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 46
Reviews by Bung:
4.27/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was made to try this with my eyes closed and guess the color. Yep got it wrong. Love the light coffee flavor and crispness of the blonde. My palate isnt so sophisticated, but this tastes deliciously.... delicate? Im not sure but I enjoy this beer.

1.54/5  rDev -59.9%

What I imagine a coffee enema tastes like.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Gotta wonder how Odd Side got past the FCC with a name like this (wink, wink), but it's pretty funny nonetheless. Of course for nearly any time of cocoa/coffee flavored beer, you'd be expecting something at least as dark as a burnt sienna, but this baby is beaming gold and rustic amber all around with only a mild chill haze in the center. Thick and foamy is the luscious white head that forms on top, leaving nice lacing as it settles to a collar.

Dipping your nose to the edge of a beer this blonde shouldn't bring forth such notes of coffee and chocolate, but it does - and that's what Odd Side was setting out to achieve. Creamy, lightly roasted coffee beans with heavier amounts of solid and sweet milk chocolate. Lighter hints of vanilla and even caramel crowd the background, with some slightly grainy malt to close it out. Though it's labeled as strictly a coffee beer, chocolate wins out in the aroma.

The taste has some amplification in the coffee department from the aroma, thought the chocolate on the palate is still at least as strong, and probably still stronger. Creamy chocolate, smooth roasted coffee, and some bright, graininess on the back-end that serves to remind you that you're drinking a blonde ale that's only a shade darker than the sunshine and not a porter or a black hole colored stout, here.

Being a blonde ale, of course, causes a slight disturbance in terms of mouth feel (for me at least). With flavors like this - coffee, chocolate, roast - my mind and my palate has been conditioned to expect a thicker, smoother, bigger body and more creamy, luxurious, lacquering mouth feel. The mouth feel of the beer is nice, for a typical blonde ale - light, crisp, and sharp. But I guess I'm expecting something "bigger" to back up the robust and deep flavors.

This stuff reminds me of that purple and green ketchup that Heinz put out many years ago. It smells and tastes as it's labeled, but it looks completely mismatched and causes a mild mind bending when you make the transfer from sight to smell to taste. I actually enjoyed Bean Flicker more than I had anticipated... It was quite tasty, really, though the optical illusion aspect is something my tickled brain couldn't overcome completely.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Lots of vanilla flavor. Some coffee and a little chocolate. As someone else said, little carbonation which is ok with me. Smooth and drinkable but probably not a regular go to beer for me given the intensity of the vanilla flavor. But, a refreshing change of pace!

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

A big, billowing soapy white head condenses down to a full finger of a heavy, craggy crown that shows off some good retention, while bubbling from the bottom of the glass continues to keep it strong. It rests on a chill hazed but bright dark yellow-gold brew. Lacing is left in thick, sturdy spotting starting from the top.
The aroma is quite distinctive. It's an interesting idea to use a blonde beer as a base. It allows the coffee to rule, though this beer is brewed well enough that the coffee doesn't completely overshadow the pale malts or the light floral and citrus hops notes. Underneath is a touch of earth and a grassy, not quite herbal note.
The flavor is more interesting. The parts try to separate themselves and get a little muddled doing so. Particularly of note is an initial tangy, tart citrus note that drops for straight coffee to come through and then puts some zest back in when the coffee falls back. Grains go in and out underneath, malts asserting themselves a bit.
The feel has too much spritz at first, though that drops after time. While appropriately light-bodied, it tends toward a watery feel in the middle with nothing to really make up for the loss. a smoothness seems to attempt to develop but doesn't really. A minerality comes out at the end of each sip.

4.78/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Appearance- clear effervescent gold, with a soapy looking head that quickly dissipates with little to no lacing. It honestly has the look of an adjunct lager nothing remotely impressive in the appearance.

Smell- I am picking up the fragrance if a fresh brewed hazelnut coffee, nodes of vanilla, cream and sugary bready sweetness, and a light grassiness of morning dew.

Taste/mouthfeel- WOW! Just Wow! This is the most flavorful light beer that I have ever had. Starts out with a creamy hazelnut and vanilla flavor that then shifts to a flavor of fresh brewed coffee. Has a light bready malt quality in the finish. The body of this one is light without ever becoming watery. The mouthfeel and after taste are phenomenal leaving a flavor of having just finished a fresh cup of hazlenut or french press coffee.

Overall- I have had this beer several times now. Twice on tap and have purchase three six packs of it. This is my favorite sessionable beer at only 4.5% ABV I could drink this beer all day. If it proves to be available year round I have a new go to beer. I hate blonde ales because they usually lack flavor and complexity but this one has me wanting to revisit the style. Love Odd Side's brews highly recommend this beer!

3.76/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours golden yellow with thin fizzy white head. great retention

this weird blend of coffee, chocolate, truffles, candy, it is hard to explain, but interesting and very aromatic

taste is similar to nose however heavier on the coffee for sure. some light chocolate notes. if you could not see this, you would never know it was a blonde.

bright body, moderate carbonation.

this is interesting, not something i would want many of in a row but here and there it is good.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours golden in color with about two inches of off-white head.

S - At first I got all coffee. Then I noticed a little chocolate. These non-typical blonde ale aromas do not overpower. I could still smell some grain in it.

T - It tastes like a blonde ale with a weak coffee flavor. Just like in the aroma, the coffee does not overwhelm. If anything, it leaves me craving more coffee flavor.

M - Thin

O - This is an interesting beer that I will more than likely revisit. I like the coffee flavor in a lighter beer. I think this would be a great alternative to a coffee stout in the summer when I am craving the coffee flavor but want a light bodied beer.

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No date.

A: Clear golden, amber colored body. Some visible carbonation. One finger, bone white head rapidly receded into thin film on the surface with a small ring at the edge.

S: Chocolate, and malty graininess. Can't find the coffee.

T: Chocolatey, the coffee flavors are more mocha than a black brewed café. There is a clear blonde ale character there. Interesting...

M: Light, really thin, mouthfeel...watery, almost no carbonation feel. Slightly astringent on the tongue at the finish.

O: One word: unique. Flavors make this interesting. Billed as a blonde ale with coffee...its a misleading label. This is a blond ale hidden within a mocha. Tone down the chocolates, turn up the coffee, but not too much letting the blonde come through, this might be a really interesting beer.

3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one that surprised me a little, as I found it more crisp and refreshing than I thought it would be. In the mood for a coffee forward stout but it's like summer and hot out? This may be just the ticket! Certainly well worth the try to say the least.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Bean Flicker a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. A Blonde Ale brewed with coffee had me intrigued and with my track record with this brewery I knew I had to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is really good looking, the colors and design are very eye catching and it really sticks out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden/amber color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it's right on par for how a Blonde Ale should look.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a lots of coffee aromas that have a nice fresh coffee, espresso and java like aroma that reminds me of a coffee that I could order at starbucks. Up next comes some hops that impart a light citrus and fruity aroma that blends surprisingly well with the coffee and is followed by some pale, bready and grainy malt aromas with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the coffee works surprisingly well with the Blonde Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a some pale and bready malts with a really light amount of hops and it quickly gives way to lots of coffee which impart some java, espresso, and vanilla like flavors that remind me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with just a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a coffee dominated aftertaste with some bready malts showing up a little in the background. I really liked the flavor of this beer, the coffee was showcased nicely and just enough Blonde Ale flavors came through,

M- Very smooth, clean, very crisp, a little dry, one the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked very nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a coffee infused beer that didn't have a dark beer base, it showed me that while the dark beer base can meld well with the coffee flavors it isn't always a necessary and that coffee has the potential to work with the other styles that I never would have thought would have turned out to be good. This beer has very good drinkability, it's smooth, crisp, not filling, and the flavors did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, it wouldn't be a stretch from me to drink more than a few bottles of this since that taste really doesn't wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was just about everything, all aspects of this beer were right where they needed to be to live up to it's name. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got a six pack and I see a few more in my future and it just my be a new regular in my beer fridge, I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee infused beer. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I have been pretty impressed with Oddsides but I wasn't sure that they could pull of a Coffee Blonde Ale, but they did it in a way that truly impressed me. It really messed with my head at first because it looks exactly like a normal Blonde Ale, but the taste is anything but normal. Great job Oddsides, you guys are making some great beer and I have no problem claiming that their one of my favorite up in coming brewery's. keep up the great work guys.

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I love the bottle design, very creative and beautiful artwork, there is also a bit of mild sexual innuendo that made me laugh, a nice touch. Pours a slightly copper- golden color with a solid two- finger head that sticks around for a while, with moderate lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of medium roast coffee and some vanilla, a bit sweet, but not cloying, along with a very slight bit of bready malt. Aroma is nice and can be smelled from a distance.

Taste: I get a strong vanilla and coffee taste, like a vanilla latte up front, then a bit of grassy hops and light malt. This beer is very smooth and easy to drink, my wife also loves this one, and she is not a beer drinker.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, but with a slight slickness. This beer goes down easily.

Overall: I really like this beer, and will drink many with my wife. It is nice to have something we both enjoy! It is an interesting take on a blonde ale, different from anything I have had. I love coffee stouts, but this is the first light style I have had. I recommend this for every one looking for something session able, flavorful and different!

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An interesting take on a typical blonde ale, with an unmistakable coffee. Other than that, this is your typical unproposessing blonde, with guzzle-down drinkabilty traded off for any sort of body. This is photoshopped supermodel-thin. Still, I enjoyed it. An above average and unique blonde ale. That may not be saying a ton, but one of the better blondes out there.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated 9/0/13, drank in Jan. 2014 (reviewed from notes). The body was a hazy straw/blonde. The head was off-white and faded to a ring and little island pretty quickly.

The smell was coffee and vanilla, mostly vanilla. Chocolate too. It mad me think of brownies. However, there were some strange whiffs of plastic.

The taste was sweet coffee. Chocolate and vanilla. Creamy. A mocha a suppose. Easy to drink.

The body was medium to light with modest carbonation.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A - Hazy dark pine wood colored with micro particles suspended in the liquid. A one finger head rapidly dissipates into a thin ring and leaves some spotty lacing.

S - Aromas of cheap chocolate Christmas candy, bread and some grain. It doesn't smell like the coffee I am used to drinking,

T - The taste is of...hmmm...Some type of coffee like flavor and cheap chocolate. The bolnde ale gives it a bready and grainy quality. It just doesn't come together for me. It's not that it is bad, but odd.

M - It is somewhat watery and thin with astringency and leaves an odd aftertaste.

O - It was worth trying and an interesting attempt at a unique beer. Somehow the flavors do not mesh right and leaves the beer without any great qualities. Perhaps the recipe can be tweaked to make it blend better.

4.36/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a light copper color. good clarity but a slight haze. three fingers of a off white head that leaves a little bit of lacing behind

smell: nice combination of light coffee notes, pale malts, and some vanilla

taste: opens up with nice and easy pale malts. quickly taken over by a very light vanilla/coffee taste. ends with just a bit of sweetness

Mouthfeel: nice and light. drinkable, but a bit of stickiness left behind

Overall: i was hesitant to buy this one and only bought a single rather that a sixer. i was very pleasantly surprised. nice light coffee taste. easy the most memorable and best blonde that i can think of.

3.84/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was perplexed when I saw a coffee infused blonde ale but at the same time exhilarated to try it...damn glad I did. This ale pours a golden hue with little white head and virtually no lacing. The nose reminds me of hot chocolate. Not a lot of coffee notes just a subtle sweet chocolaty smell. There's a lot of malt here as well and a bit of hops to round it out. This offering sips very light and smooth. The flavor is much more complex than I had ever expected. It is sweet and reminiscent of iced mocha at first but followed by a nice hoppy bitterness all to resolve with a sweet malty chocolate finish. This is a delicious and surprisingly complex beer. Nothing like what I expected but very refreshing and enjoyable. Would gladly buy this one again.

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The coffee aroma is Divine. Smell of delicious coffee and vanilla. Taste is a bit messy. Pretty solid for a coffee blonde though

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%

We pour a brew of dirty golden blonde into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It holds a generous three finger head of yellow-tinged cakey bubbles that slowly glug away. Thick sheets of lacing are left as it goes. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be highly, highly active. The aroma gives pale and steely pilsner malts, yeasty metallics, rich hazelnut roast, moderate citric hop zest, and soft chemical phenols. With warmth we also get notes of fresh vanilla, muddy metallics, fresh grassiness, and shaving foam. Our first impression is that this beer tastes like your simple coffee stout, but the lighter malt base gives significant bitterness and puck. As we sip, strong hazelnut, lime rind, quinine, tonic water bite, bittered metallic pils grain, murky pale malts, and basement must. The middle comes to a peak with raw coffee bean grittiness, continued lime and lemon zest, distant earthy hops, crumbling dry leafiness, oak sap, and mint root, as the metallic pilsner malts come to a head at the back of the palate. Washing through the finish is more bittered pale maltiness, peanut butter sweetness, soapy hops, tinny metallics, white flour, sulfuric mineral, and mild cherry flesh fruitiness. The aftertaste breathes of fusel booze, clean pale and pilsner graininess, hollow hazelnut, biscuity breadiness, yeasty echoes, tin, kidney bean dryness, chalkboard, pencil eraser, and light grassy and earthy hops. The body is light, and the carbonation is extreme. The latter builds up to a strong prickle, even with the standard, easy motion of the swallow. Each sip affords great slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is initially coated, but drips dry into satiation, and puck without that intense astringency. The abv is seemingly sessionable, and the beer sips easy once you get used to it.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its aroma. Here we get an instantly curious juxtaposition of a clean blonde ale base, with nicely bittered grain, while atop it we ride alongside stronger coffee flavoring than we’ve experienced in some straight coffee stouts. The case is very much the same through the flavoring, with the first and last thing you’re left thinking about is this bright hazelnut coffee roastiness. It’s quite the odd pair, no pun intended. That said, it seems as if they’ve accomplished what they set out to do with this one, and we are happy to have been a part of the experiment. One downside was the carbonation, which approached the level of champagne, slowing drinkability a bit. This beer will certainly not appeal to everyone, but if you’ve got the interest it is certainly worth your time.

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Odd Side certainly enjoys pushing the limits of naming/labeling. Whatever. On to the beer.

A- 1-finger, off-white, fizzy head drops all too quickly. Slightly hazed, deep golden body cleans up after the chill wears off. Medium-heavy carbonation and good stick.

S- Wow. Lots of coffee and chocolate. Weird for such a lightly colored brew. Even more powdered chocolate than coffee. Some vanilla.

T- Follows nose. Lots of chocolate and coffee with a hint of vanilla. Even more chocolate than aroma suggests. Fairly sweet. Something of a mocha with with a couple packets of sugar in the raw, or the hazelnut coffee/hot chocolate mix offered at one of our favorite breakfast spots (Wolfgang's).

M- Medium body. Maybe even slightly full considering the style and ABV. Light tingle from carbonation and hopping.

O- Goes to show flavor doesn't always follow appearance. I thought it would be a mess, but I quite enjoyed it.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours lightly hazy and cloudy golden amber color with a 2 finger foamy and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass, with a lot of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, floral, and light grass. Awesome aromas with big presence of coffee and malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big nutty coffee, cream, vanilla, bread, floral, and light grass. Light coffee bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, grass, and floral earthiness on the finish for a bit. Awesome robustness of coffee/cream flavor with a fair amount of malt balance; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. High carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is great. Hardly any alcohol presence after the finish as expected for 4.5%. Overall this is an outstanding coffee blonde ale. Great robustness of authentic coffee/cream flavor; and extremely smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I really enjoy the long-boarder porter made with coffee and this is the blond ale version. It is fantastic and they have mastered the coffee flavor but without compromising the taste of the beer. Because of the smell and mouthful was more like that of a cream ale instead of a blond ale i rated it a bit low, this doesn't take away the fact that the texture of the flavor is Superb!

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to JAS45678 for the bottle.

Appearance: Absolutely clear dark straw/light gold. Head is clumpy and white, dropping to a small collar in short order. Minimal carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Boom, coffee beans. Sweet milk chocolate and roast. Vaguely nutty, almost like hazelnut coffee with too much cream and sugar. Malts are incredibly light, offering up a touch of clean roasted sweetness. No hop profile to speak of. Milky sweet.

Taste: A bit biscuit under everything. Light snappy malts with a slight roasted element. Fresh coffee bean with a light cocoa bean finish. Milky sweetness with an otherwise light flavor. A slightly sharp bite on the back, something like a coffee with high acidity. Clean crisp roasted bean. Vague fruitiness.Warming produces a slightly oxidized and harsh coffee bean.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a high, but not bubbly, carbonation. Clean and crisp.

Overall: I won't be lighting any candles and getting to know myself.

An interesting use of coffee with a nice light body. Could be a highly quaffable beer, but it falls apart as it warms and it feels a bit mismatched. Carbonation doesn't help either.

2.91/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Artificially flavored coffee and caramel added to water. Nice attempt but lets be real, there is no complexity to this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Coffee forward on a light-bodied blonde

to view more.