Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013

A light coffee note with gentle grains.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.83/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very interesting and a delightful surprisingly good beer! I wasn't sure what to expect, but decided to try it because it wasn't like anything I had tried before. I could taste some vanilla, and the coffee flavor is detectable, but not at all overpowering.

4.78/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Appearance- clear effervescent gold, with a soapy looking head that quickly dissipates with little to no lacing. It honestly has the look of an adjunct lager nothing remotely impressive in the appearance.

Smell- I am picking up the fragrance if a fresh brewed hazelnut coffee, nodes of vanilla, cream and sugary bready sweetness, and a light grassiness of morning dew.

Taste/mouthfeel- WOW! Just Wow! This is the most flavorful light beer that I have ever had. Starts out with a creamy hazelnut and vanilla flavor that then shifts to a flavor of fresh brewed coffee. Has a light bready malt quality in the finish. The body of this one is light without ever becoming watery. The mouthfeel and after taste are phenomenal leaving a flavor of having just finished a fresh cup of hazlenut or french press coffee.

Overall- I have had this beer several times now. Twice on tap and have purchase three six packs of it. This is my favorite sessionable beer at only 4.5% ABV I could drink this beer all day. If it proves to be available year round I have a new go to beer. I hate blonde ales because they usually lack flavor and complexity but this one has me wanting to revisit the style. Love Odd Side's brews highly recommend this beer!

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Pale, pale yellow with a little head. No lacing. Smells of coffee and cream, slight bitterness, roasted sweet caramel. Taste follows, sweet coffee with a tiny bite on the end. Mouthfeel is thin, could be a perception thing since I was expecting something thicker to go along with the coffee flavor. Little to no aftertaste.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

12. oz bottle poured into pint glass

L: Pale yellow color. It was very hazy, but I also poured the yeast out. Strong 1" stark white head, with good retention.

S: Mild hops and bready grains are quickly enveloped by warm coffee and vanilla. When lightly swirled, coffee flavors are especially apparent.

T: A light, creamy ale, with a surprising amount of crispness. In the initial flavor, there are enough bready malts to balance the hops, but the palate is soon overwhelmed by rich coffee, espresso, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Absolutely delicious.

F: The carbonation was slightly prickly for my tastes, but it's a minor complaint. There's a medium body, although the boldness of the coffee is more reminiscent of a stout. It's also creamy and crisp at the same time, a nice combination.

O: I absolutely loved this - it combined my two favorite things, coffee and beer. It's a pretty original, bold idea (putting coffee in something light), and it was very well executed. Props to OddSide Ales - I will definitely be buying this again!

4.36/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a light copper color. good clarity but a slight haze. three fingers of a off white head that leaves a little bit of lacing behind

smell: nice combination of light coffee notes, pale malts, and some vanilla

taste: opens up with nice and easy pale malts. quickly taken over by a very light vanilla/coffee taste. ends with just a bit of sweetness

Mouthfeel: nice and light. drinkable, but a bit of stickiness left behind

Overall: i was hesitant to buy this one and only bought a single rather that a sixer. i was very pleasantly surprised. nice light coffee taste. easy the most memorable and best blonde that i can think of.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours lightly hazy and cloudy golden amber color with a 2 finger foamy and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass, with a lot of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, floral, and light grass. Awesome aromas with big presence of coffee and malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big nutty coffee, cream, vanilla, bread, floral, and light grass. Light coffee bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of nutty coffee, vanilla, cream, light bread, grass, and floral earthiness on the finish for a bit. Awesome robustness of coffee/cream flavor with a fair amount of malt balance; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. High carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is great. Hardly any alcohol presence after the finish as expected for 4.5%. Overall this is an outstanding coffee blonde ale. Great robustness of authentic coffee/cream flavor; and extremely smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I love the bottle design, very creative and beautiful artwork, there is also a bit of mild sexual innuendo that made me laugh, a nice touch. Pours a slightly copper- golden color with a solid two- finger head that sticks around for a while, with moderate lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of medium roast coffee and some vanilla, a bit sweet, but not cloying, along with a very slight bit of bready malt. Aroma is nice and can be smelled from a distance.

Taste: I get a strong vanilla and coffee taste, like a vanilla latte up front, then a bit of grassy hops and light malt. This beer is very smooth and easy to drink, my wife also loves this one, and she is not a beer drinker.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, but with a slight slickness. This beer goes down easily.

Overall: I really like this beer, and will drink many with my wife. It is nice to have something we both enjoy! It is an interesting take on a blonde ale, different from anything I have had. I love coffee stouts, but this is the first light style I have had. I recommend this for every one looking for something session able, flavorful and different!

4.27/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was made to try this with my eyes closed and guess the color. Yep got it wrong. Love the light coffee flavor and crispness of the blonde. My palate isnt so sophisticated, but this tastes deliciously.... delicate? Im not sure but I enjoy this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Bean Flicker a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. A Blonde Ale brewed with coffee had me intrigued and with my track record with this brewery I knew I had to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is really good looking, the colors and design are very eye catching and it really sticks out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden/amber color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it's right on par for how a Blonde Ale should look.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a lots of coffee aromas that have a nice fresh coffee, espresso and java like aroma that reminds me of a coffee that I could order at starbucks. Up next comes some hops that impart a light citrus and fruity aroma that blends surprisingly well with the coffee and is followed by some pale, bready and grainy malt aromas with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the coffee works surprisingly well with the Blonde Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a some pale and bready malts with a really light amount of hops and it quickly gives way to lots of coffee which impart some java, espresso, and vanilla like flavors that remind me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with just a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a coffee dominated aftertaste with some bready malts showing up a little in the background. I really liked the flavor of this beer, the coffee was showcased nicely and just enough Blonde Ale flavors came through,

M- Very smooth, clean, very crisp, a little dry, one the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked very nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a coffee infused beer that didn't have a dark beer base, it showed me that while the dark beer base can meld well with the coffee flavors it isn't always a necessary and that coffee has the potential to work with the other styles that I never would have thought would have turned out to be good. This beer has very good drinkability, it's smooth, crisp, not filling, and the flavors did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, it wouldn't be a stretch from me to drink more than a few bottles of this since that taste really doesn't wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was just about everything, all aspects of this beer were right where they needed to be to live up to it's name. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got a six pack and I see a few more in my future and it just my be a new regular in my beer fridge, I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee infused beer. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I have been pretty impressed with Oddsides but I wasn't sure that they could pull of a Coffee Blonde Ale, but they did it in a way that truly impressed me. It really messed with my head at first because it looks exactly like a normal Blonde Ale, but the taste is anything but normal. Great job Oddsides, you guys are making some great beer and I have no problem claiming that their one of my favorite up in coming brewery's. keep up the great work guys.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ratebeer tasting. Pale blonde body, mild haze copious bone white head. Aromas of coffee, assorted nuts, malt, chocolate. Such chocolate and coffee flavor is surprising from such a light colored beer. Really tasty.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Crisp white medium head. Crystal pumpkin colored appearance.

S- Coffee, tobacco, perfume-like? Reminds me of a small book store. Getting really weird perceptions on this.

T- Coffee bean char without tannins or astringency. What I assume cold brew or kopi luwak would taste. Major flavor over central and rear palate. Great round sweetness rolls with the coffee flavor. I can taste some green coffee bean also. Something minorly off putting, cannot pick it out.

M- Taste begins after carbonation subsides.

O- Great beer. Unique aroma i'm getting, very difficult to describe. No astringency, amazing coffee. Weird vegetal flavor, green coffee beans? Definitely a must try, even if you don't like coffee and the usual espresso stouts.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance - 4/5
Golden orange, fairly clear with a little bit of haze. About 2 fingers of off-white head. Small particles can beer seen floating in the beer. The rising carbonation is very sparse.

Smell - 4/5
Wow. I knew this was a coffee-blonde beer, but I was not expecting the coffee flavor to be this strong. The coffee aroma is quite strong with hints of dark chocolate and espresso. I can't detect much past the coffee.

Taste - 4.25/5
Wow, this really is as advertised. A blonde ale with very strong coffee flavors. Who knew that such a coffee flavor could be achived in a blonde? Besides the coffee, there are secondary light malt flavors--slightly sweet and fairly light. Hints of banana and light fruitiness as well.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The feel is medium bodied and quite crisp. Yet the coffee flavor still comes through strongly, as if this was a full-bodied coffee stout. There is a medium amount of medium-high intensity carbonation. The beer is quite crisp. Overall quite a good feel.

Overall - 4/5
Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. The coffee flavors were much more present than I was expecting, and it made for a quite enjoyable brew. The only qualms I have is that when I am desiring a light brew, I am usually not looking for a coffee beer. But presumably there are some people out there who like coffee beers, yet are not huge stout or porter fans. In that case this is an excellent beer which would fulfill that niche market.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle courtesy of Another6Pack. Thanks, Trent!

This pours a medium gold with a +2 finger head of foam.

The nose is interesting...notes of chocolate and light coffee. Maybe? some bready malt aromas. Yes, I think so. Weird smell to this brew but I have to say, it's inviting. The more I thought about it, the more I think it has kind of a brownie smell to it.

It has a very nice coffee flavour up front with more or less hints of chocolate. Not much hop bitterness that I can detect; all of the bitterness seems to be coming from the coffee. I'm digging it now that half the glass is gone.

Good mouthfeel and easy drinking, this would make for an excellent breakfast beer for those folks in Odd Sides' distro area. 4.5% abv..you got the right idea!

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Odd Side certainly enjoys pushing the limits of naming/labeling. Whatever. On to the beer.

A- 1-finger, off-white, fizzy head drops all too quickly. Slightly hazed, deep golden body cleans up after the chill wears off. Medium-heavy carbonation and good stick.

S- Wow. Lots of coffee and chocolate. Weird for such a lightly colored brew. Even more powdered chocolate than coffee. Some vanilla.

T- Follows nose. Lots of chocolate and coffee with a hint of vanilla. Even more chocolate than aroma suggests. Fairly sweet. Something of a mocha with with a couple packets of sugar in the raw, or the hazelnut coffee/hot chocolate mix offered at one of our favorite breakfast spots (Wolfgang's).

M- Medium body. Maybe even slightly full considering the style and ABV. Light tingle from carbonation and hopping.

O- Goes to show flavor doesn't always follow appearance. I thought it would be a mess, but I quite enjoyed it.

Poured on-tap and served in a shaker pint, the beer is a pale, crystal clear, golden coloring with a thin halo of white head. Nose of creamy sweet, bitter roasted coffee, and vanilla. Flavors are rich vanilla sweet forward, with a roasted coffee rich backbone. Smooth and light bodied with an effervesced end-feel. Smooth, dry finish, with a lingering aftertaste of vanilla richness and roasted coffee.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I really enjoy the long-boarder porter made with coffee and this is the blond ale version. It is fantastic and they have mastered the coffee flavor but without compromising the taste of the beer. Because of the smell and mouthful was more like that of a cream ale instead of a blond ale i rated it a bit low, this doesn't take away the fact that the texture of the flavor is Superb!

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-More in Eastpointe, Michigan. I knew this had recently been released in bottles, and I pretty much have to get my hands on anything Odd Side puts out... I love their stuff.

Appearance: The name of the beer is obviously referring to... well... Google it. Bean Flicker is a super pale yellow color, which I'd expect for the style. A few floaters and a couple pieces of sediment. Three finger, soapy-ish head dies to one and sticks around for quite awhile. There's really no lacing. Really looks like piss, but who cares?

Smell: Welp, coffee. Malts. Kind of also smells like some sort of fresh baked something or other that I can't put my finger on... coffee cake? Smells very good.

Taste/feel: Here we go again, Odd Side impresses me. Again. Really liking how this drinks... it's about what I expected. It's a blonde ale with coffee in it. What do you want me to say? The flavor of this is actually a bit more than I thought to expect, but that's fine by me. If that's not enough, there's a solid feel to this as well. The coffee flavor manages to stick to your tongue for awhile after you sip, which I enjoy a lot -- ya don't need a dark beer to get a coffee fix in your beer, and this blonde ale proves that. A 4.5% beer with a nice body? Surprisingly bold flavor? Count me in. Odd Side just doesn't disappoint... worth the slight up-charge.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

sounded kinda weird, didnt really know what to expect.
Looks like a stanterd blonde with verry light head
light coffee on the nose not alot else
coffe beers that are nt stouts or porters normally dont go verry well, i have had a few coffee brown ales that i hated so to be honest i thought id hate this too but i fucking loved it perfect body and just enought coffee so not to be over bearing.
i would drink this often if i could for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours golden in color with about two inches of off-white head.

S - At first I got all coffee. Then I noticed a little chocolate. These non-typical blonde ale aromas do not overpower. I could still smell some grain in it.

T - It tastes like a blonde ale with a weak coffee flavor. Just like in the aroma, the coffee does not overwhelm. If anything, it leaves me craving more coffee flavor.

M - Thin

O - This is an interesting beer that I will more than likely revisit. I like the coffee flavor in a lighter beer. I think this would be a great alternative to a coffee stout in the summer when I am craving the coffee flavor but want a light bodied beer.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was perplexed when I saw a coffee infused blonde ale but at the same time exhilarated to try it...damn glad I did. This ale pours a golden hue with little white head and virtually no lacing. The nose reminds me of hot chocolate. Not a lot of coffee notes just a subtle sweet chocolaty smell. There's a lot of malt here as well and a bit of hops to round it out. This offering sips very light and smooth. The flavor is much more complex than I had ever expected. It is sweet and reminiscent of iced mocha at first but followed by a nice hoppy bitterness all to resolve with a sweet malty chocolate finish. This is a delicious and surprisingly complex beer. Nothing like what I expected but very refreshing and enjoyable. Would gladly buy this one again.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle om 09/06/2015

Look: Gold, pours with a think white head that dissipates quickly without a trace. Strong carbonation throughout, though.

Smell: Smells strongly of coffee with hints of hops and grain

Taste: Starts off a bit like a standard lager with just some mild hops but then punched in the face by coffee on the finish. Can't detect much else

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light and refreshing. A little creamier mouthfeel than the standard ale

Overall: Great option for fans of coffee porters during the hot summer months. The coffee punch is surprising from this golden ale.

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An interesting take on a typical blonde ale, with an unmistakable coffee. Other than that, this is your typical unproposessing blonde, with guzzle-down drinkabilty traded off for any sort of body. This is photoshopped supermodel-thin. Still, I enjoyed it. An above average and unique blonde ale. That may not be saying a ton, but one of the better blondes out there.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one that surprised me a little, as I found it more crisp and refreshing than I thought it would be. In the mood for a coffee forward stout but it's like summer and hot out? This may be just the ticket! Certainly well worth the try to say the least.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Gotta wonder how Odd Side got past the FCC with a name like this (wink, wink), but it's pretty funny nonetheless. Of course for nearly any time of cocoa/coffee flavored beer, you'd be expecting something at least as dark as a burnt sienna, but this baby is beaming gold and rustic amber all around with only a mild chill haze in the center. Thick and foamy is the luscious white head that forms on top, leaving nice lacing as it settles to a collar.

Dipping your nose to the edge of a beer this blonde shouldn't bring forth such notes of coffee and chocolate, but it does - and that's what Odd Side was setting out to achieve. Creamy, lightly roasted coffee beans with heavier amounts of solid and sweet milk chocolate. Lighter hints of vanilla and even caramel crowd the background, with some slightly grainy malt to close it out. Though it's labeled as strictly a coffee beer, chocolate wins out in the aroma.

The taste has some amplification in the coffee department from the aroma, thought the chocolate on the palate is still at least as strong, and probably still stronger. Creamy chocolate, smooth roasted coffee, and some bright, graininess on the back-end that serves to remind you that you're drinking a blonde ale that's only a shade darker than the sunshine and not a porter or a black hole colored stout, here.

Being a blonde ale, of course, causes a slight disturbance in terms of mouth feel (for me at least). With flavors like this - coffee, chocolate, roast - my mind and my palate has been conditioned to expect a thicker, smoother, bigger body and more creamy, luxurious, lacquering mouth feel. The mouth feel of the beer is nice, for a typical blonde ale - light, crisp, and sharp. But I guess I'm expecting something "bigger" to back up the robust and deep flavors.

This stuff reminds me of that purple and green ketchup that Heinz put out many years ago. It smells and tastes as it's labeled, but it looks completely mismatched and causes a mild mind bending when you make the transfer from sight to smell to taste. I actually enjoyed Bean Flicker more than I had anticipated... It was quite tasty, really, though the optical illusion aspect is something my tickled brain couldn't overcome completely.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Attractive with a decent head and some, but not a ton of lacing. Strong yeast aroma with just a hint of coffee. Taste is light but enjoyable with a mild but pleasant coffee flavor on top of a relatively low flavor blonde ale. I feel Odd Side is hit or miss but this might actually sit in the middle of their usual extremes.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast