Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

A light coffee note with gentle grains.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013)

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-More in Eastpointe, Michigan. I knew this had recently been released in bottles, and I pretty much have to get my hands on anything Odd Side puts out... I love their stuff.

Appearance: The name of the beer is obviously referring to... well... Google it. Bean Flicker is a super pale yellow color, which I'd expect for the style. A few floaters and a couple pieces of sediment. Three finger, soapy-ish head dies to one and sticks around for quite awhile. There's really no lacing. Really looks like piss, but who cares?

Smell: Welp, coffee. Malts. Kind of also smells like some sort of fresh baked something or other that I can't put my finger on... coffee cake? Smells very good.

Taste/feel: Here we go again, Odd Side impresses me. Again. Really liking how this drinks... it's about what I expected. It's a blonde ale with coffee in it. What do you want me to say? The flavor of this is actually a bit more than I thought to expect, but that's fine by me. If that's not enough, there's a solid feel to this as well. The coffee flavor manages to stick to your tongue for awhile after you sip, which I enjoy a lot -- ya don't need a dark beer to get a coffee fix in your beer, and this blonde ale proves that. A 4.5% beer with a nice body? Surprisingly bold flavor? Count me in. Odd Side just doesn't disappoint... worth the slight up-charge.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

sounded kinda weird, didnt really know what to expect.
Looks like a stanterd blonde with verry light head
light coffee on the nose not alot else
coffe beers that are nt stouts or porters normally dont go verry well, i have had a few coffee brown ales that i hated so to be honest i thought id hate this too but i fucking loved it perfect body and just enought coffee so not to be over bearing.
i would drink this often if i could for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev 0%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours golden in color with about two inches of off-white head.

S - At first I got all coffee. Then I noticed a little chocolate. These non-typical blonde ale aromas do not overpower. I could still smell some grain in it.

T - It tastes like a blonde ale with a weak coffee flavor. Just like in the aroma, the coffee does not overwhelm. If anything, it leaves me craving more coffee flavor.

M - Thin

O - This is an interesting beer that I will more than likely revisit. I like the coffee flavor in a lighter beer. I think this would be a great alternative to a coffee stout in the summer when I am craving the coffee flavor but want a light bodied beer.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was perplexed when I saw a coffee infused blonde ale but at the same time exhilarated to try it...damn glad I did. This ale pours a golden hue with little white head and virtually no lacing. The nose reminds me of hot chocolate. Not a lot of coffee notes just a subtle sweet chocolaty smell. There's a lot of malt here as well and a bit of hops to round it out. This offering sips very light and smooth. The flavor is much more complex than I had ever expected. It is sweet and reminiscent of iced mocha at first but followed by a nice hoppy bitterness all to resolve with a sweet malty chocolate finish. This is a delicious and surprisingly complex beer. Nothing like what I expected but very refreshing and enjoyable. Would gladly buy this one again.

Bean Flicker from Odd Side Ales