Bean Flicker - Odd Side Ales

Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

A light coffee note with gentle grains.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-02-2013)

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Gotta wonder how Odd Side got past the FCC with a name like this (wink, wink), but it's pretty funny nonetheless. Of course for nearly any time of cocoa/coffee flavored beer, you'd be expecting something at least as dark as a burnt sienna, but this baby is beaming gold and rustic amber all around with only a mild chill haze in the center. Thick and foamy is the luscious white head that forms on top, leaving nice lacing as it settles to a collar.

Dipping your nose to the edge of a beer this blonde shouldn't bring forth such notes of coffee and chocolate, but it does - and that's what Odd Side was setting out to achieve. Creamy, lightly roasted coffee beans with heavier amounts of solid and sweet milk chocolate. Lighter hints of vanilla and even caramel crowd the background, with some slightly grainy malt to close it out. Though it's labeled as strictly a coffee beer, chocolate wins out in the aroma.

The taste has some amplification in the coffee department from the aroma, thought the chocolate on the palate is still at least as strong, and probably still stronger. Creamy chocolate, smooth roasted coffee, and some bright, graininess on the back-end that serves to remind you that you're drinking a blonde ale that's only a shade darker than the sunshine and not a porter or a black hole colored stout, here.

Being a blonde ale, of course, causes a slight disturbance in terms of mouth feel (for me at least). With flavors like this - coffee, chocolate, roast - my mind and my palate has been conditioned to expect a thicker, smoother, bigger body and more creamy, luxurious, lacquering mouth feel. The mouth feel of the beer is nice, for a typical blonde ale - light, crisp, and sharp. But I guess I'm expecting something "bigger" to back up the robust and deep flavors.

This stuff reminds me of that purple and green ketchup that Heinz put out many years ago. It smells and tastes as it's labeled, but it looks completely mismatched and causes a mild mind bending when you make the transfer from sight to smell to taste. I actually enjoyed Bean Flicker more than I had anticipated... It was quite tasty, really, though the optical illusion aspect is something my tickled brain couldn't overcome completely.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An interesting take on a typical blonde ale, with an unmistakable coffee. Other than that, this is your typical unproposessing blonde, with guzzle-down drinkabilty traded off for any sort of body. This is photoshopped supermodel-thin. Still, I enjoyed it. An above average and unique blonde ale. That may not be saying a ton, but one of the better blondes out there.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was perplexed when I saw a coffee infused blonde ale but at the same time exhilarated to try it...damn glad I did. This ale pours a golden hue with little white head and virtually no lacing. The nose reminds me of hot chocolate. Not a lot of coffee notes just a subtle sweet chocolaty smell. There's a lot of malt here as well and a bit of hops to round it out. This offering sips very light and smooth. The flavor is much more complex than I had ever expected. It is sweet and reminiscent of iced mocha at first but followed by a nice hoppy bitterness all to resolve with a sweet malty chocolate finish. This is a delicious and surprisingly complex beer. Nothing like what I expected but very refreshing and enjoyable. Would gladly buy this one again.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours golden in color with about two inches of off-white head.

S - At first I got all coffee. Then I noticed a little chocolate. These non-typical blonde ale aromas do not overpower. I could still smell some grain in it.

T - It tastes like a blonde ale with a weak coffee flavor. Just like in the aroma, the coffee does not overwhelm. If anything, it leaves me craving more coffee flavor.

M - Thin

O - This is an interesting beer that I will more than likely revisit. I like the coffee flavor in a lighter beer. I think this would be a great alternative to a coffee stout in the summer when I am craving the coffee flavor but want a light bodied beer.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-More in Eastpointe, Michigan. I knew this had recently been released in bottles, and I pretty much have to get my hands on anything Odd Side puts out... I love their stuff.

Appearance: The name of the beer is obviously referring to... well... Google it. Bean Flicker is a super pale yellow color, which I'd expect for the style. A few floaters and a couple pieces of sediment. Three finger, soapy-ish head dies to one and sticks around for quite awhile. There's really no lacing. Really looks like piss, but who cares?

Smell: Welp, coffee. Malts. Kind of also smells like some sort of fresh baked something or other that I can't put my finger on... coffee cake? Smells very good.

Taste/feel: Here we go again, Odd Side impresses me. Again. Really liking how this drinks... it's about what I expected. It's a blonde ale with coffee in it. What do you want me to say? The flavor of this is actually a bit more than I thought to expect, but that's fine by me. If that's not enough, there's a solid feel to this as well. The coffee flavor manages to stick to your tongue for awhile after you sip, which I enjoy a lot -- ya don't need a dark beer to get a coffee fix in your beer, and this blonde ale proves that. A 4.5% beer with a nice body? Surprisingly bold flavor? Count me in. Odd Side just doesn't disappoint... worth the slight up-charge.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

sounded kinda weird, didnt really know what to expect.
Looks like a stanterd blonde with verry light head
light coffee on the nose not alot else
coffe beers that are nt stouts or porters normally dont go verry well, i have had a few coffee brown ales that i hated so to be honest i thought id hate this too but i fucking loved it perfect body and just enought coffee so not to be over bearing.
i would drink this often if i could for sure.

I was made to try this with my eyes closed and guess the color. Yep got it wrong. Love the light coffee flavor and crispness of the blonde. My palate isnt so sophisticated, but this tastes deliciously.... delicate? Im not sure but I enjoy this beer.

Bean Flicker from Odd Side Ales